Always a great letter to receive in the mail..

Staind204

CAGiversary!
Feedback
8 (100%)
I got a letter in the mail from the State of Ohio. It says "The State of Ohio has confirmed that your name and social security number was contained on a computer back-up device that was stolen." It then goes on to try and say its highly unlikely that it could be accessed without specialized knowledge , etc. This is a real letter because apparently a back up disc was stolen in my state. How worried should I be about this ?

Just make sure you start checking your credit reports. Every 4 months, request a free copy from one of the three reporting agencies (you get one per year free from each).

I got one too recently. It was funny since they said it was stolen and sold by someone working for a data processing company that handled checking account/credit card data and they said he was fired. He apparently stole a huge section of account data and mine was included - yay!
Well I bloody well hope he was fired and fecking prosecuted! He has potentially ruined ( with identity theft) thousands of lives.

Now I have to go about changing all my stuff around and hope noone applied for a huge ass loan or bought a house/car in my name.

yeah my wife got the same letter, cause she is a mentor in big brother big sisters or whatever it's called.

the cool thing is that they will monitor your credit for a year or so
just send in the form and they will take care of it

Yeah, I work for the state too(during the summer). I'm not too worried about it, but we'll see what happens. If there's a form for them to monitor my credit, I'd like some info on that!

within the letter that the information was stolen, should be information that they will monitor your credit.
if yours does not have the info, i can send you a scan of my wifes cause it is the state's fault and they need to be liable for the credit monitoring

[quote name='DJSteel']I'd change your ssn..and also send the bill(if there are any fees) to the State.[/quote]You could change your social secuity number :whistle2:s

[quote name='TheClassicObserver']within the letter that the information was stolen, should be information that they will monitor your credit.
if yours does not have the info, i can send you a scan of my wifes cause it is the state's fault and they need to be liable for the credit monitoring[/QUOTE]

If you could PM me that, It'd be great. I proabbly just saw the letter, sighed, and threw it away.

i received a letter just like that from the VA [ veteran's affairs ] a few months ago. but instead of a "computer back-up device" it was the computers themselves.

[quote name='DJSteel']people do it when they get married...[/QUOTE]
Really? For what reason? Like for when the wife takes the husbands surname?

[quote name='CouRageouS']Really? For what reason? Like for when the wife takes the husbands surname?[/QUOTE]

I'd be curious about people changing SSN's. I don't see why getting married would have anything to do with changing your SSN. I thought the whole point of a SSN was to follow with you regardless of name, e.g. changing last name upon getting married, using middle name instead of first name, etc.

I've never heard of this before. My sister is married has the same SS. On top of that I thought you couldn't change your SS number. Its the mans way of tracking you.

[quote name='Graystone']I've never heard of this before. My sister is married has the same SS. On top of that I thought you couldn't change your SS number. Its the mans way of tracking you.[/quote]

You can change the number all you want, but you still have the same tracking chip at the base of your skull that they implant at birth. GPS = Government Person Searcher. :whistle2:#

[quote name='DJSteel']people do it when they get married...[/quote]

No, they don't.

They change their social security cards to reflect their name change. The number does not change.

It is extremely rare that the SSA will change your number.

I got something about a free year of Debix. I went to the site and it seems like all this does is they call you when a credit transaction takes place. I guess its better than nothing though.

[quote name='apokalipze2']You could change your social secuity number :whistle2:s[/QUOTE]

Huh?

bread's done
Back