Am I allowed to return a 12 month subscription to Game Informer to Gamestop/EBgames?

deadlykeyboard

CAGiversary!
Feedback
7 (100%)
I kind of got suckered into buying an Edge Card for "$5" that turned out to be $15 today. Is there a way for me to return the subscription?

I don't like GI anyways. Has anyone tried returning it? Or is my $15 gone forever?

i think it did end up costing 5$ b/c if you wouldnt have gotten the bonus credit if you didnt have the card. its fuzzy math but it works out player

I saved about $3 thanks to my EDGE card. I don't buy enough used games from Gamestop/EBgames in order to justify this $15 EDGE card. I thought it was fine because it was supposedly $5, but I definitely paid flat out $15.

I get most of my information from GameFAQs anyways, so the Game Informer subscription is useless.

[quote name='deadlykeyboard']I saved about $3 thanks to my EDGE card. I don't buy enough used games from Gamestop/EBgames in order to justify this $15 EDGE card. I thought it was fine because it was supposedly $5, but I definitely paid flat out $15.

I get most of my information from GameFAQs anyways, so the Game Informer subscription is useless.[/quote]

trust me player, there are worse things out there than 10% off for a year at gs/eb. if you want to sell it though i'm sure someone on here would take it off your hands

So let me get this straight... you buy the Game Informer subscription thinking it costs $5... but you see a charge of $14.99 on the receipt. Now check these 2 things:

Did you trade anything in at the time of purchase?

Did you purchase any used games at the same time?

If you did either of these things (or both), you would have saved money both ways. If you traded $50 worth of stuff and buy $50 worth of used... you essentially got the card for $5.

Not for nothing, but why was it fine at $5...but a big deal at $15? I understand the spirit of the site, but still.

Also, though I really don't know the policy with this, I would speculate that they don't accept returns on the Edge/GI subscription. I mean, if they did, what would stop people from going in, buying or trading in a ton of used games, buying an Edge card, getting all those discounts, and then returning the card?

Lastly, if you do end up being stuck with it, you should take advantage of it. When GS has 25% deals of B2G1, you can certainly save a lot via the Edge Card, especially if you get some of the newest games out. More often than not, they are in near mint condition. I have recently picked up Devil May Cry 4 and Lost Odyssey. Both looked like they were just opened.

[quote name='allout1986']So let me get this straight... you buy the Game Informer subscription thinking it costs $5... but you see a charge of $14.99 on the receipt. Now check these 2 things:

Did you trade anything in at the time of purchase?

Did you purchase any used games at the same time?

If you did either of these things (or both), you would have saved money both ways. If you traded $50 worth of stuff and buy $50 worth of used... you essentially got the card for $5.[/quote]

Yeah, after the deal was done, I checked my receipt and went back to ask then about the $15. They said thats what the meant.

I still feel gipped though...

How could you not know that the Edge card comes with the subscription to Game Informer magazine and that it costs $15? I guess one of the shleps working there told you 'it's only $5'. They tried doing that to me before too and I said 'no thanks', since it was while I was trading stuff and they corrected themselves and said it was 'like getting it for $5'.

Now, if you really wanted the Edge card for cheap, check out Monkeydeews' thread on getting it for $2 by sending in the pdf of the Game Informer subscription card, with the 'Value Card' option checked off and a check for $2.

I'm STILL tempted to do that actually, since I never even read half of the issues they sent me, except if they had stuff on classic games or other interesting articles(which was NOT the case 90% of the time).

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']How could you not know that the Edge card comes with the subscription to Game Informer magazine and that it costs $15? I guess one of the shleps working there told you 'it's only $5'. They tried doing that to me before too and I said 'no thanks', since it was while I was trading stuff and they corrected themselves and said it was 'like getting it for $5'.

Now, if you really wanted the Edge card for cheap, check out Monkeydeews' thread on getting it for $2 by sending in the pdf of the Game Informer subscription card, with the 'Value Card' option checked off and a check for $2.

I'm STILL tempted to do that actually, since I never even read half of the issues they sent me, except if they had stuff on classic games or other interesting articles(which was NOT the case 90% of the time).[/quote]

Yeah, I wish I had seen monkeydeews' thread. Are people getting the card even if they don't have a subscription to GI?

Yeah, they have been getting the card without the need for a subscription, so it's definitely a great way to shirk getting stuck with the rag known as Game Informer.

Do you think I could go back and be like "Oh, I forgot I already had a subscription to Game Informer."?

I wouldn't mind having to return the EDGE card either. I only made an extra $3 on my trade ins anyway.

Hey, on the bright side, at least you have some pretty mindless toilet reading for the next year. ;)

You can return it(the POS will allow you as I have done it for a customer before), most employees will tell you that you can't because it counts against them. I wouldn't recommend returning it, just hang on to it, you'll most likely use the card and you get a year subscription to GI which isn't that bad. If you "only" saved $3 I am sure they wouldn't tell you it was $5 as that figure is way off, they might have said something liek its going to save you about $5 today or something.

And a discount card purchased from a shop that you apparently never shop at.

Also, how much were the games you purchased? Did they total around $100? Ten percent off $100 would make $10, and if the card is $15, then you only paid an additional $5.

[quote name='MotzCTG']You can return it(the POS will allow you as I have done it for a customer before), most employees will tell you that you can't because it counts against them. I wouldn't recommend returning it, just hang on to it, you'll most likely use the card and you get a year subscription to GI which isn't that bad. If you "only" saved $3 I am sure they wouldn't tell you it was $5 as that figure is way off, they might have said something liek its going to save you about $5 today or something.[/quote]

when you say "it" do you mean the subscription, the edge card, or both?

[quote name='MotzCTG']You can return it(the POS will allow you as I have done it for a customer before), most employees will tell you that you can't because it counts against them. I wouldn't recommend returning it, just hang on to it, you'll most likely use the card and you get a year subscription to GI which isn't that bad. If you "only" saved $3 I am sure they wouldn't tell you it was $5 as that figure is way off, they might have said something liek its going to save you about $5 today or something.[/quote]

Dude, after you type everything in, it tracks the card. The discount is there, and he's getting his magazine. Returning it won't change that, except he'll get a free magazine.
You shouldn't be allowed to return it, because I've tried before.

I would like to hear from a GS employee on this. Like I said, I have a hard time believing they accept returns on these, unless they force you to pay for the savings you got through it as the time of purchase, which would end up causing pretty big arguments, one would think.

I mean, if they did allow returns without any penalty, this would be a massive loophole to abuse.

[quote name='reibeatall']And a discount card purchased from a shop that you apparently never shop at.

Also, how much were the games you purchased? Did they total around $100? Ten percent off $100 would make $10, and if the card is $15, then you only paid an additional $5.[/quote]

I reserved a copy of Brawl for $10 by trading in Big Brain and Rayman: Raving Rabbids.

[quote name='reibeatall']Dude, after you type everything in, it tracks the card. The discount is there, and he's getting his magazine. Returning it won't change that, except he'll get a free magazine.
You shouldn't be allowed to return it, because I've tried before.[/QUOTE]

There is a difference between what "shouldn't" be allowed, and what the POS will allow you to do. It will in fact allow you to give them their money back.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']I would like to hear from a GS employee on this. Like I said, I have a hard time believing they accept returns on these, unless they force you to pay for the savings you got through it as the time of purchase, which would end up causing pretty big arguments, one would think.

I mean, if they did allow returns without any penalty, this would be a massive loophole to abuse.[/QUOTE]

I am an assistant manager, not to mention that they will most likely shoot you down and tell you know.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']I would like to hear from a GS employee on this. Like I said, I have a hard time believing they accept returns on these, unless they force you to pay for the savings you got through it as the time of purchase, which would end up causing pretty big arguments, one would think.

I mean, if they did allow returns without any penalty, this would be a massive loophole to abuse.[/quote]

Like I said, I wouldn't mind paying the $3 in "savings" that I made. I traded in Metroid: Hunters, Brute Force, and Tony Hawk: Pro Skater 4 for a whopping $13. This was originally to cover the cost of the $10 that would be owed toward Brawl, but then it went toward the $15 GI subscription.

[quote name='deadlykeyboard']I reserved a copy of Brawl for $10 by trading in Big Brain and Rayman: Raving Rabbids.[/quote]
I wonder what type of crack he was smoking saying it was only five dollars then.

[quote name='MotzCTG']There is a difference between what "shouldn't" be allowed, and what the POS will allow you to do. It will in fact allow you to give them their money back.[/quote]

When I said it shouldn't, it was from personal experience. It said something along the lines of "Item not eligible for return." I'll try again tomorrow, just to see, but seriously, you shouldn't return one anyway.

[quote name='reibeatall']
When I said it shouldn't, it was from personal experience. It said something along the lines of "Item not eligible for return." I'll try again tomorrow, just to see, but seriously, you shouldn't return one anyway.[/QUOTE]

The POS pretty much allows you to return anything, you just have to type in the correct info. You can return a PRP by itself if you wanted to, the POS is pretty open. Yes the info is linked to the card and to your name, I am not sure if it deactivates your card when you return it or even cancels the GI, but you can give them back their money. As I said I wouldn't ever do this for a customer unless it was an extreme case or maybe if you are an idiot.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Wait....people READ Game Informer? And here I've been using it for TP all along.[/quote]

Wouldn't that be a bit uncomfortable?

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Wait....people READ Game Informer? And here I've been using it for TP all along.[/QUOTE]

I am pretty sure it is the #1 video game magazine in the world, we sell so many of them it isn't funny. I read it, not a bad magazine, beats egm and oxm.

How about this classic magazine: GMR. you guys remember that.

Thanks for the help guys. I'm going to go in tomorrow and just act like I already have a subscription to GI.

One of the cashiers kind of knows me, so hopefully he'll let me return it.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']Wouldn't that be a bit uncomfortable?[/quote]

Only if you used the edges of the pages, since then you'd get paper cuts in a BAD place. :whistle2:#

I prefer to use the magazine subscription cards myself though.

And actually Motz, if I could get this rag for free, like I'm getting EGM and the Windows PC mag for a year thanks to CAG, then I'd enjoy it. But paying $15 for a year=no thanks. Maybe back when it wasn't a wholly owned subsid of Gamestop and had some useful info in it.

The worst they can say is no. If that does happen, try contacting GI's customer service on their site in a couple weeks(that way it gives them time to get you into the system) and request to cancel your subscription. I know you'll get a prorated refund from them for the issues that you didn't receive.

Still, you should've known it would be more than $5. They have two displays on the counter mentioning that it's $15 for the card & subscription.

Piggybacking on this question, I've got one of my own. Is it possible to get Game Crazy to re-do resurfacing? Just wondering since I took 5 games up there last week and the employee did a shitty job resurfacing them. They usually come out with no scratches, while those 5 look like they've been Game Doctored.

[quote name='tangytangerine']The worst they can say is no. If that does happen, try contacting GI's customer service on their site in a couple weeks(that way it gives them time to get you into the system) and request to cancel your subscription. I know you'll get a prorated refund from them for the issues that you didn't receive.

Still, you should've known it would be more than $5. They have two displays on the counter mentioning that it's $15 for the card & subscription.

Piggybacking on this question, I've got one of my own. Is it possible to get Game Crazy to re-do resurfacing? Just wondering since I took 5 games up there last week and the employee did a shitty job resurfacing them. They usually come out with no scratches, while those 5 look like they've been Game Doctored.[/quote]

Yeah, I know that it is supposed to be $15, but they were saying that it would be only $5 thanks to a special promotion. Guess I should've just said no, 'eh?

I returned my subscription to GI last october........ my uncle got it for me since he didn't know I already had the EDGE card. It was no big deal to the guy at the store.

I don't understand anyone's problem with GI. It is the best game magazine in print. EGM doesn't even come close, even though they tout theirselves as the #1 gaming magazine. OXM used to be really good (haven't gotten it in several months so I don't know about now) but it was console specific. This last issue of GI wasn't great, but that's because the games coming out aren't great. I too get EGM free, but I prefer my $15 GI. I bought it for the magazine and count the Edge card as a freebie.

I just got back from my local EBgames. They said that they can't take a return on subscriptions.

I was standing there, like "fuck YOU" *face palm.* I only wanted the damn EDGE card. fuck gamestop.

Does anyone want my EDGE card? PM me.

This Thread Confuses Me, It Was Fine For An Extra $5. An Extra $5 Is What You Paid (supposedly).

Sounds Like Buyer's Remorse. Next Time Have Some Self Control And Discipline When They Are Trying To Load You Up With Extras If You Don't Want Them.

[quote name='ragtop70']I don't understand anyone's problem with GI. It is the best game magazine in print. EGM doesn't even come close, even though they tout theirselves as the #1 gaming magazine. OXM used to be really good (haven't gotten it in several months so I don't know about now) but it was console specific. This last issue of GI wasn't great, but that's because the games coming out aren't great. I too get EGM free, but I prefer my $15 GI. I bought it for the magazine and count the Edge card as a freebie.[/quote]

Hahahaha GameStop Dave is that you?

[quote name='NismoZZzz']Well it was only $15 so I say just take the hit and stop shopping there.[/quote]

To some 'only $15' is a good meal at a restaurant, so yeah, I'd definitely say it's not worth the $$$.

This is why if I ever do get off my lazy ass and send in a check for $2 with my GI subscription card with the Edge Card option checked off(ala Monkeydeew's thread about getting JUST an Edge card for $2), then I'll have the card and not have to suffer through the boring reviews and previews of crap I won't be playing for at least another couple years.

I guess it was my fault for not being more informed. Meh. I'm just going to post a craigslist ad hoping someone will buy it for $12.

I might be stuck with it though...

[quote name='deadlykeyboard']I guess it was my fault for not being more informed. Meh. I'm just going to post a craigslist ad hoping someone will buy it for $12.

I might be stuck with it though...[/quote]

Just buy some newer games used at GS, and it will more than pay for itself. I know a lot of people are concerned over the condition of these games, but if it's a newer game, chances are the previous owner didn't have it long enough to damage it. You can always ask the employee to show you the disc before you buy it to make sure.

The thing is, I always save $20-25 when I buy these games off of Craigslist. I have to buy $150 worth of stuff to make back the $15, which totally sucks.

I remember when the card was $5...

No. I'm not GameStop or Dave. I go to GameStop only because it's closer to home. I used to go to EB, but what's the use now?

[quote name='deadlykeyboard']I remember when the card was $5...[/quote]

It hasn't been $5 for a couple years. It was also only $5 at EB, GS has been charging $15 for awhile cause of forcing the GI subscription with it. It would be interesting to see how much of GI's subscribers would drop if they did offer just the card for $5 too.

IAmTheCheapestGamer did get it right. If it wasn't for the fact that it paid for itself last summer, I wouldn't have the subscription right now. Since I don't have any next-gen(or is it current-gen now?) system, the magazine is basically worthless for me.

[quote name='deadlykeyboard']The thing is, I always save $20-25 when I buy these games off of Craigslist. I have to buy $150 worth of stuff to make back the $15, which totally sucks.

I remember when the card was $5...[/quote]

Where do you buy the newest games used for $20 on Craigslist? I need to move by you.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']Where do you buy the newest games used for $20 on Craigslist? I need to move by you.[/quote]

You just have to get lucky and check craigslist every so often. I found two chances were I could buy Devil May Cry 4 for the 360 for $30 but I decided against it. I got Rock Band for $100 a few weeks after it came out.

All you have to do is be the first person to contact a seller, and maybe try to much off $5-10 in the process. You could also be a little underhanded and flag an ad right after it gets posted to try and keep other people from seeing said ad.

Anyways, like I said, just check craigslist regularly and try to get lucky.

bread's done
Back