Am I being a bitch to my neighbors?

vietgurl

CAGiversary!
Feedback
29 (100%)
Okay, so I have this annoying neighbor that knocks whenever I'm doing ANYTHING. The walls in my apartment complex are pretty thin but it's annoying when I get knocked at for talking on the phone, playing games (at low volume), turning my music on at the LOWEST volume possible to still hear it, etc. When I have my friends over and we're just sitting here talking at normal voice level, they knock like crazy which meant that I had to stop inviting my friends over (are we just gonna sit here and not talk?). This is the volume level that I ALWAYS keep my laptop at (it's a laptop...it's not loud to begin with) and I started hearing knocking. No, I wasn't playing Trivium at the time; I was actually playing some classical music because I was reading at the same time...just took this pic right now to show where I leave my volume control at 24/7:

http://img241.imageshack.us/img241/1341/desktopli3.jpg

It was about...well, a little before 8 when they started getting mad at my classical music (like I said, I took the picture after I already started my sound assault, haha). I got pissed so I put on Trivium (the hardest music I have on my hard drive...was too lazy to go look for a CD) and turned it up to this:

http://img154.imageshack.us/img154/4412/desktop2zw2.jpg

Wow, endless knocking for the last 30 minutes or so. I'm gonna force them to listen to the whole album (again, I'm on a laptop so it's not that loud to begin with, lol.)

Yeah, I know I can use headphones and stuff, but shoot, am I not allowed to even talk when I'm in my room? My friend who lives a few doors down on the same floor blasts his surround sound games all the time and the neighbors leave him alone. Someone downstairs likes to play their electric guitar (lives below my friend) and no one has bugged him either. I hear the people upstairs when they turn on their TV and have sex....and I don't say anything. I even hear them when they have normal day-to-day conversations and I'm not about to go and tell them to stop talking! It's what you get for living in a cheap ghetto apartment, get over it.

No. As long as you aren't being loud ALL the time your asshole neighbors should leave you alone. You've got to live your life.

I was just gonna say drown out the knocking with louder music, but it seems you got that covered.

They could always drown out your music with theirs. Everyone's happy.

Nah, being a bitch would be to feed their dogs Hershe bars or something. Tell them to deal with it, since the walls of the place is so thin, and there's apparently a lack of insulation, so they're just shit outta luck. If you were blasting rap or some shit at ungodly hours of the morning, like my neighbors, then they would be warranted to knock. Anyway, as it stands now, you ought to advise them to just sort of buck up. You shouldn't have to stop living (lightly even) because it's seriously offending them.

I say confront your neighbor. You may have to grow some balls and lower your voice but confront your neighbor and bring the issue up to him/her face to face.

You may have to get your landlord involve if things do not work out.

[quote name='Xevious']I say confront your neighbor. You may have to grow some balls and lower your voice but confront your neighbor and bring the issue up to him/her face to face.

You may have to get your landlord involve if things do not work out.[/QUOTE]

uh, i think the OP is a girl

also, this reminds me of my cousins neighbor. She was throwing a big birthday party at her house. This place is pretty big, because the party was in an actual barn...yes A BARN, that was pretty far from the house, i could barely hear it.

Even so, the neighbor came by complaining at 8..who the hell complains at 8 pm lol. I dont think anything came of it but she did threaten to call the cops at 10.

Put a sign on your door that looks official that says something to the effect that you are legally deaf and have to have everything really really loud. That, or find a boyfriend.....a real jerk, who will go confront your neighbors in a really obnoxious way. Then, when the problem is solved, dump the guy.

Or not. Either way.

[quote name='Stoneage']Put a sign on your door that looks official that says something to the effect that you are legally deaf and have to have everything really really loud. That, or find a boyfriend.....a real jerk, who will go confront your neighbors in a really obnoxious way. Then, when the problem is solved, dump the guy.

Or not. Either way.[/quote]

Coming to the door with a half-assembled shotgun might get them off your ass, too.

Then again, we don't want the fuzz involved. :/

Um.

Tell them you are doing ass-crunches or whatever it is you were asking about a few weeks ago, and all will be right with the world.

Do it now.

....Mmmm. Ass.

fuck them do what you want. They'll move before you do. Your not throwing a 24/7 party. if they complain to the landlord, call the landlord and tell them to come to your apartment. Then tell the landlord to be quite and show him/her how low your volume levels have to be for them to knock on the wall. This will win you the case hands down. They sounds like ignorant people to me.

My sister moved into a new apartment and the old lady across the hall. Makes lies about my sister trying to get her thrown out. My sister has never said more then two words to her. The old lady even told the landlord that my sister broke into her apartment and stole her rent check. guess what, the check was never cashed. Grandma lost it in her apartment somewhere, and tried to say it was my sister.

I had a neighbor that would call the office and complain about me blasting music at all hours of the night. The only problem is that at the time, I was sleeping and had nothing playing at all.

Some people are just douchbags. The guy I used to live above would pound on the ceiling constantly when ever I turned on music to the point you could hear it 5 feet from the speaker. So then I just said fuck it and cranked the music and started jumping on the floor. :lol:

Regardless of where your volume level is, why can't you buy headphones? If I knew that my walls were thin, then I would go out of my way to make sure I was extra quiet. $10 at any Bestbuy, and then you can listen as loud as you want.

Meanwhile, next door, the neighbor is on some other forum complaining about how he has a Calculus final tomorrow, and his crazy neighbor is playing music while he's trying to study.

Obviously he could've heard it, even though you had it low. It's not like he psychicly knocked or something.

[quote name='Kayden']I had a neighbor that would call the office and complain about me blasting music at all hours of the night. The only problem is that at the time, I was sleeping and had nothing playing at all.

Some people are just douchbags. The guy I used to live above would pound on the ceiling constantly when ever I turned on music to the point you could hear it 5 feet from the speaker. So then I just said fuck it and cranked the music and started jumping on the floor. :lol:[/QUOTE]

haha, I LOL'ed when I read this.

I'm trying to be on good terms with people but some people are just douchebags. I finished the album and my apartment is quiet again...I think I'm gonna keep doing this everytime that they knock just so they get the point.

[quote name='evilmax17']Regardless of where your volume level is, why can't you buy headphones? If I knew that my walls were thin, then I would go out of my way to make sure I was extra quiet. $10 at any Bestbuy, and then you can listen as loud as you want.

Meanwhile, next door, the neighbor is on some other forum complaining about how he has a Calculus final tomorrow, and his crazy neighbor is playing music while he's trying to study.

Obviously he could've heard it, even though you had it low. It's not like he psychicly knocked or something.[/QUOTE]

I have headphones. I don't wear them all the time though; like if I'm trying to wash the dishes and I have my music on to keep me company, I don't want to be wearing my headphones. And sorry, I'm not nice enough to be wearing my headphones when my TV is on low nor am I gonna stop talking on the phone when I'm in my room. I do go out of my way to be as quiet as possible, which is why my friends stopped coming over and why I keep my laptop volume on low. Heck, I've even stopped playing games like Taiko Drum Master because I was afraid the pounding on the drums might bother them. At a certain point though, enough is enough, lol. If you think I'm too loud, ask me nicely to be more quiet. All this knocking just pisses me off.

[quote name='Graystone']fuck them do what you want. They'll move before you do. Your not throwing a 24/7 party. if they complain to the landlord, call the landlord and tell them to come to your apartment. Then tell the landlord to be quite and show him/her how low your volume levels have to be for them to knock on the wall. This will win you the case hands down. They sounds like ignorant people to me.[/quote]
QFT on this technique. We did the same and it had the problem solved. Conversely, with new, loud neighbors, we called the fuzz, and they police came, listened, got out a meter that measured the decibles, and gave the fuckers a ticket. I think it was after they passed the law around here that gives a $1000 fine for being loud. As you can imagine, we didn't have to call again. :lol:

Blame that on CSU.

Tell them to get a white noise maker. those work well with noise that isn't too bassy.

No, you're not being a bitch at all. If anything, they're the ones that are being bitches.

Maybe you should try knocking back on the wall once in a while, if you haven't done that. That'll annoy the piss out of them.

You shouldn't have to do it, but have you considering any form of "soundproofing" since your walls are so thin. Supposedly if you line the walls with egg cartons it will help soundproof it. Also, you could hang some heavy sheets on the walls.

Sorry that you got stuck with asshole neighbors. It sounds like you're a very nice, reasonable tenant.

And if it ends up you simply can't make noise anymore, "start" driving really fast and jamming your music as loud as it goes wherever you go. You'll feel better.

[quote name='Saucy Jack']No, you're not being a bitch at all. If anything, they're the ones that are being bitches.

Maybe you should try knocking back on the wall once in a while, if you haven't done that. That'll annoy the piss out of them.

You shouldn't have to do it, but have you considering any form of "soundproofing" since your walls are so thin. Supposedly if you line the walls with egg cartons it will help soundproof it. Also, you could hang some heavy sheets on the walls.

Sorry that you got stuck with asshole neighbors. It sounds like you're a very nice, reasonable tenant.[/QUOTE]

Egg cartons? I've thought about soundproofing my walls but I didn't know of any cheap ways to do it.

[quote name='vietgurl']Egg cartons? I've thought about soundproofing my walls but I didn't know of any cheap ways to do it.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it sounds weird but it works. The cartons that you get eggs from do a decent job of blocking sound.

The best way, and cheap if you have them already, is to hang heavy sheets and blankets on your walls. I've done that a few times when I need to record a voiceover for a project I'm working on and it has to absolutely sound professional.

[quote name='Saucy Jack']Yeah, it sounds weird but it works. The cartons that you get eggs from do a decent job of blocking sound.

The best way, and cheap if you have them already, is to hang heavy sheets and blankets on your walls. I've done that a few times when I need to record a voiceover for a project I'm working on and it has to absolutely sound professional.[/quote]

With the cartons, do you just tack the bottom cups to the walls?

[quote name='Saucy Jack']Yeah, it sounds weird but it works. The cartons that you get eggs from do a decent job of blocking sound.

The best way, and cheap if you have them already, is to hang heavy sheets and blankets on your walls. I've done that a few times when I need to record a voiceover for a project I'm working on and it has to absolutely sound professional.[/quote]

The uneven surface scatters the soundwaves so they don't hit the wall uniformly. The small pockets also act as insolators.

[quote name='Tiphireth']With the cartons, do you just tack the bottom cups to the walls?[/QUOTE]

Yep. Simple as tacking them to the walls.

[quote name='Kayden']The uneven surface scatters the soundwaves so they don't hit the wall uniformly. The small pockets also act as insolators.[/QUOTE]

Makes sense. Cool. :)

Shut up Kayden we all know you don't know wtf you are talking about.

Soundwaves. *snort* Everyone knows sound is really just magic that you eat with your ear.

Silly bitch.

[quote name='Strell']Shut up Kayden we all know you don't know wtf you are talking about.

Soundwaves. *snort* Everyone knows sound is really just magic that you eat with your ear.

Silly bitch.[/quote]

:lol:

[quote name='Saucy Jack']
Makes sense. Cool. :)[/quote]
Glad you bought it... as Strell points out, I was pulling things out of my ass. (It gets crowded sometimes.)

[quote name='Strell']Shut up Kayden we all know you don't know wtf you are talking about.

Silly bitch.[/quote]

Ahhhh I've been foiled!
30301776.FoiledAgain.jpg

this kinda reminds me of my colleges days in Miami, FL when i use to live in my own shit hole apartment. Well it wasn't like an apartment complex, more like a house that had diffrent areas sectioned off to make it into diffrent apartments.
Anyways I had these wacked neighbors living upstairs. It was some late 20 year old woman, her two damned kids (around 4-8 years old), and a crazy old grandmother (probibly the woman's mother) who would scream "VALITINA!!!" several times or "PANCHO!!!" several times then speak spanish really fast so I barly made out what she would say. The kids of course would always be running around upstairs and I would hear them almost every freaking day when they were not in school :(

I would counter the screaming with my music......Sometimes I would pick like "Duel of the Fates" from Episode 1 (this was back in 1999) very loud :)

and yes I have heard the times when the grandmother and kids "go away" the the lady and her "boyfriend" of the semester (lol) would be banging each other at night for 20-30 minutes :O

Wait a minute..... if they can hear you, can you hear them? why don't you start knocking back?

oh yea I forgot to add, when ever the fuckers upstairs flushed, they seem to think the toliet was a garbage disposal unit so they would flush kids toys, tampons, and other shit. It would seem that both her toliet and my toliet shared the same pipe. It got to the point where one summer, the main pipe got clogged so badly, that there shit and other shit they fushed, backed up into my toliet :( what a bunch of fuck heads.

I had a downstairs neighbor like that at my old apartment. The fuckin bitch would knock on her ceiling for no reason at all. One time, I was sitting at the PC and the loudest thing going on was me typing, and all I hear is thumping coming from downstairs. Several times, I was about to down there with a rope and lynch the crack ho from the nearest tree...

In my current apartment, which is a two story house divided into two one bedroom apartments. I hear the fat loser downstairs blasting music at 3 or 4 am. Sometimes so loud I can hear the vocals. And yes, its shitty rap and horrible R&B. Not to mention the fucker slams doors ALL THE TIME. Its not like it happens all day every day. But the first time he bitches about my surround system and subwoofer from a moderatly loud explosion from a game or movie, I'm gonna go off on him. If I tolerate your shit, you have to tolerate mine. Then again, its typical ghetto niggers that will yell and scream and blast shit, but as soon as you get above a whisper they get all pissy and bitchy

[quote name='Kayden']Glad you bought it... as Strell points out, I was pulling things out of my ass. (It gets crowded sometimes.)
[/QUOTE]

As long as what you pulled out wasn't brown and smelly, or it had fur and was once alive, it's OK. :lol:

Anyway, OP, maybe you should call the cops and tell them your side of the story.

♪A long time ago...me and my brother Kyle here,
We were hitchhiking down a long and lonesome road.

All of a sudden, there shined a shiny demon,
in the middle of the road.

And he said, "Play the best song in the world, or I'll eat your soul."

Well me and Kyle, we looked at each other, and we each said...
"Okay."

And we played the first thing that came to our heads
Just so happened to be, the best song in the world.
It was the best song in the world.
Oh, yeah.
Oh, and it saved our butts, because the demon wanted to kill us.
Oh.

But he was forced to set us free, by the honor code that demons...
Have to live by.

Cause it's Satan's Surprise and it's magic!
And it's a mystical disguise...
It's the devil's song and it's tragic!
You are the mystical-eyed virgin and you're rocking!

Well needless to say, the beast was stunned.
Whip crack, went the swampy tail, and the beast was done.

He asked us, "Be you angels?"
And we said "Nay! We are but men, rock!"

This is not the greatest song in the world, no.
This is just a tribute.
Couldn't remember the greatest song in the world, no.
No! This is a tribute, oh!

To the greatest song in the world, alright!
To the greatest song in the world, alright!
It is just the best motherfuckin' song, the greatest song in the world.

--skattin'--

Oh mama, Lucifer.

And the peculiar thing is this, my friends:
The song we played on that fatefull night,
didn't actually sound anything like this song!

This is just a tribute.
You've gotta believe me.
And I wish you were there.
Just a matter of opinion.
Ah! fuck!
Good god! And God lovin!
There's no surprise to find you can't stop him!
Rich motherfucker...♫

[quote name='HumanSnatcher']I had a downstairs neighbor like that at my old apartment. The fuckin bitch would knock on her ceiling for no reason at all. One time, I was sitting at the PC and the loudest thing going on was me typing, and all I hear is thumping coming from downstairs. Several times, I was about to down there with a rope and lynch the crack ho from the nearest tree...[/QUOTE]

Your typing was ruining her zen like high.

[quote name='evilmax17']Regardless of where your volume level is, why can't you buy headphones? If I knew that my walls were thin, then I would go out of my way to make sure I was extra quiet. $10 at any Bestbuy, and then you can listen as loud as you want.
Obviously he could've heard it, even though you had it low. It's not like he psychicly knocked or something.[/QUOTE]

Its the principal of the thing. If you stay quite with headphones, then the neighbors will except that noise level all the time. Then the one time you don't use the headphones they'll complain.

[quote name='Graystone']Your typing was ruining her zen like high.[/quote]

Yeah, her crack pipe high. She'd bang on the ceiling if we were just walking around. One time my partner had had enough and took a broom handle and pounded on the floor and yelled "Shut the fuck up you ghetto nigger bitch!" very loudly.

[quote name='HumanSnatcher']Yeah, her crack pipe high. She'd bang on the ceiling if we were just walking around. One time my partner had had enough and took a broom handle and pounded on the floor and yelled "Shut the fuck up you ghetto nigger bitch!" very loudly.[/quote]

I'm liking your boyfriend. :lol:

[quote name='Tiphireth']I'm liking your boyfriend. :lol:[/quote]

lol Well, he is a bear-ish type.

I think he had just gotten in from work and didn't feel like dealing with the bullshit. There were many times I wanted to lynch the bitch from the nearest tree...

[quote name='Ikohn4ever']just get headphones and move on[/QUOTE]

and stop talking.

it's gotten to the point that whenever i get a call from someone, i actually make an effort to leave my apartment, walk down the stairs, and go outside (or to the garage) to talk to them. from now on, i'm gonna stop doing that, lol. whatever, what are they gonna do, call the cops? and if they call my manager, you guys are right, i'd bring him in here and show him how loud i have to be to bother them. but uhh...are you guys serious about the egg cartons?

[quote name='vietgurl']but uhh...are you guys serious about the egg cartons?[/QUOTE]

Yes, ma'am. It actually does work. I know it sounds weird, and I'm not sure exactly how it does work, but it does.

Still, heavy blankets are the best somewhat-cheap soundproofing.

[quote name='Saucy Jack']Yes, ma'am. It actually does work. I know it sounds weird, and I'm not sure exactly how it does work, but it does.

Still, heavy blankets are the best somewhat-cheap soundproofing.[/quote]how about the egg cartons with heavy blankets covering them/in fornt of them?

I know I'd hate to have a bunch of egg cartons making my wall look like shit, so that way you could combine them and have it come out decent looking.

[quote name='LiquidNight']how about the egg cartons with heavy blankets covering them/in fornt of them?

I know I'd hate to have a bunch of egg cartons making my wall look like shit, so that way you could combine them and have it come out decent looking.[/QUOTE]

I suppose that would work, although with the heavy blankets you wouldn't really need the egg cartons.

i'm actually really gonna try the egg cartons and heavy blankets, lol.

only problem is that i don't eat eggs, i eat egg beaters. i'm gonna go and tell all of my friends to keep their cartons. thanks for the tip

The only time I'd ever knock was when noise from a neighbor was bothering me as I was trying to get to sleep. So for me that would typically be after 11, but I guess people go to bed at all different times.

I'd hate to be bothering a neighbor with my noise, but if I had one that was banging on the walls about really low noise levels, especially if it was before 9 or 10PM... I don't know that would really bug the crap out of me, too. Only excuse for me would be if they have a baby and the low noise is waking him/her up from naps all the time.

Still sounds like your apartment has really really crappy sound proofing, that would drive me absolutely nuts.

My neighbor used to do that to me all the time in college. I just invited them in one day and asked them if they thought my tv was at an unresonable level. They quickly learned that the walls were thin and it wasn't me being unreasonably loud and left me alone. I suggest inviting them and showing them that you aren't holding the speakers up to the wall or have it louder then voice level then maybe just MAYBE they'll leave you alone and learn to deal with it instead of complaining daily.

you don't have to use real egg cartons-- there's foam padding called "egg crate" that mimics the egg carton shape and does a better job of soundproofing.

and I'm pretty sure it's cheaper than buying tons of eggs.

so, buy a ton of it, write up some instructions on what to do with it, and drop it off at your neighbors place. ;)

bread's done
Back