Am I Boned, or Impatient?

tsunami_bomb3r

CAGiversary!
Feedback
17 (100%)
So, christamas eve, i win this auction -- http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEBTOX:IT&item=120199895589&_trksid=p3984.cTODAY.m238.lVI

christmas day i paid. I sent an email 26th asking if i was too late to upgrade shipping at my expense. no response.

it seemed like it was taking a while to get here, so i sent this message on the 2nd:
Do you have some kind of tracking number for the shipment? What carrier did you use to ship? probably not your fault, but it does seem like the item is taking an inordinate amount of time to get here.

no response.

yesterday i sent this:
I'm a little frustrated with the lack of communication. It has been 8 business days since payment, and i've not yet received the item or word from you about the shipping method used.

I ask that you provide some kind of proof of shipment - photographic evidence of a receipt, a tracking number, or any other verifiable information is acceptable.

If i do not receive: the item; any of the above information; word from you by Sunday, the 6th of January, I will file an Item Not Received complaint.

This is nothing personal -- I'm just trying to make sure I haven't been had.

no response as of 3 AM sunday. the last, last resort i'm...er...resorting to tomorrow is to call the seller to personally inquire about the item's status. if i'm dissatisfied/get no response, i'm filing an item not recieved notice.

my question to the CAGs -- am i being impatient?

my reasoning is that i've sent three emails that have gone unanswered, at least two of which i requested information outright, at least one of which was stern and i'd imagine would arouse some sort of response from the seller. at this point, i really don't want to hassle with someone -- i just want to know if it's on it's way or not, verify it, and either get my money back and twiddle my thumbs until it arrives.

Not at all (impatient that is). I would have given him the benefit of the doubt over Christmas Eve and Day, but he should have at least contacted you on the 26th, if not mailed it then. You don't list stuff to sell in that time frame if you are "busy with the holidays" or whatever excuse he is likely to come up with if you ever hear from him.

I always mail stuff the same day or at the latest the very next day. I did always wonder why some of my feedback was so glowing but when I hear about sellers like this I guess it is no surprise. Besides generally mailing within 24 hours I use PayPal shipping so the buyer gets an email as soon as I generate a label, AND I contact them via ebay to let them know I shipped.

I would definitely file with PayPal by Monday if you don't hear back.

So the seller got back to me today. apparently the item was stolen from his car a day or so after the transaction. I kinda have a feeling that it just sold for less than he expected, but i'd feel terrible if the opposite was the case.

Anyway, he offered a refund and accepted that i'd give a neg. if what he says is true, i'd much rather just take the money and be done with it -- no neg, no fb at all.

Yeah it undersold. You got a deal on that.

Id leave him negative and report him to ebay, but thats just me.

You won a great auction, and then get denied the product youve been waiting for.

Open a dispute ASAP so he doesn't get the chance to withdraw the money if he hasn't already. If you get the item you can always close the dispute, but for now to be safe open the dispute.

EDIT: Just read that you've been offered a refund. Cool, but as for what he says about it being stolen...most likely a lie. Neg or neutral feedback him and leave it at that.

the dispute was open when i got the message. I'll close it as soon as i get the money back. i found a couple other psps for about the same price, with 2-3 day usps from established sellers.

eh, you take chances when buying from low fb on big ticket items for cheap. it's part of hwat you accept being a CAG, lol.

also: this line makes me kinda wonder --
[FONT=arial,sans-serif]i never have touched the money you have payed in the pay pal account so you can withdraw it anytime you like[/FONT]
-- does he think that i can just take back the funds i payed? I can't...can I?

[quote name='tsunami_bomb3r']also: this line makes me kinda wonder -- -- does he think that i can just take back the funds i payed? I can't...can I?[/quote]

No all he has to do is hit two buttons to refund you..

Just leave him a negative and file a dispute with ebay against him.

Case solved. You won an auction, he lied, no contact, end of discussion @_@

What a tool. If it was truly stolen a day or two after the auction he should have refunded you RIGHT AWAY - why would he wait nearly 2 weeks for you to contact him? Unless he really thinks you can just take the money back from PayPal. Maybe he really does think that? And no, you can't without going through the dipute process which takes a long time. First you file the dispute, then you have to wait some amount of time - at least a week. Then you can upgrade it to a claim, which is then reviewed by PayPal within 30 days or some such nonsense. THEN, if they find in your favor (which they would for sure if he never even mailed it), they will refund you the money. IF he still has it in his account, that is. If you paid via CC you can dispute it that way too and then it won't matter if it is in his account or not (PayPal loses in that case, I guess).

I'm still trying to figure out why the seller thought he would have gotten any kind of profit from buying a PSP for retail and selling it on eBay.

[quote name='Kendro']I'm still trying to figure out why the seller thought he would have gotten any kind of profit from buying a PSP for retail and selling it on eBay.[/quote]

Not everyone is...well, anywhere near "bright". Around here for a time there were several students who bought Wiis from Target along with extra controllers, nunchucks, and a few other games. They would then sell their own bundles to other people on campus for...$280.

So no special deals on what they bought, no discounts, no clearances, and they ended up spending around $350 (not counting sales tax) to sell the bundles at a $70 loss. Before Christmas. Color me confused on all counts.

[quote name='Ice2Dragon']No all he has to do is hit two buttons to refund you..

Just leave him a negative and file a dispute with ebay against him.

Case solved. You won an auction, he lied, no contact, end of discussion @_@[/quote]

Exactly.

quick update -- basically i'm sitting here with my thumb up my ass, waiting for this guy to give my money back. I'm nagging, sending emails, an SMS or two. Is there anything else i can do?

[quote name='Kendro']I'm still trying to figure out why the seller thought he would have gotten any kind of profit from buying a PSP for retail and selling it on eBay.[/quote]

Leading up to Christmas, that bundle and just the core system were actually somewhat difficult to find in many places. He probably thought he could get a profit on someone impatient.

Why would he leave two psp's in his car when the pic clearly shows them at his house?

What an idiot, people like this dont need ebay, they need to throw themselves in front of a car for being this stupid -_-

You might also want to let it "slip" to him that you've been consulting folks on the CAG website about your various options to resolve this situation. If he puts two and two together, he'll see that the longer this drags on, the more people see his ebay ID and he'll essentially be "blacklisted." I hate to resort to stuff like this, but if he's nonresponsive you have to start taking off the kid gloves. Lesson learned is obviously be careful when dealing with sellers with relatively few feedback tallies. I wish you the best of luck.

[quote name='dboy81']You might also want to let it "slip" to him that you've been consulting folks on the CAG website about your various options to resolve this situation. If he puts two and two together, he'll see that the longer this drags on, the more people see his ebay ID and he'll essentially be "blacklisted." I hate to resort to stuff like this, but if he's nonresponsive you have to start taking off the kid gloves. Lesson learned is obviously be careful when dealing with sellers with relatively few feedback tallies. I wish you the best of luck.[/quote]
fuck letting it slip -- i gave him a link to the thread.

Latest development -- I sent a stern email, SMS. Basically, i gave an ultimatum -- money by 1030 PST or i'm filing a paypal claim (i've got class from 7-10, and i commute). I've been avoiding it because it's a time-consuming, ugly process. ::UPDATE TWO SECONDS AGO:: sms he's at work. gets defensive about it. didn't say anything about it when i sent the first sms. or the fifth or sixth emails. or the paypal dispute. or the phone call. in fact, he didn't say much, EVER.

honestly, i just want my money back and to get the fuck out of town.

[quote name='tsunami_bomb3r']fuck letting it slip -- i gave him a link to the thread.

Latest development -- I sent a stern email, SMS. Basically, i gave an ultimatum -- money by 1030 PST or i'm filing a paypal claim (i've got class from 7-10, and i commute). I've been avoiding it because it's a time-consuming, ugly process. ::UPDATE TWO SECONDS AGO:: sms he's at work. gets defensive about it. didn't say anything about it when i sent the first sms. or the fifth or sixth emails. or the paypal dispute. or the phone call. in fact, he didn't say much, EVER.

honestly, i just want my money back and to get the fuck out of town.[/quote]

Dont even give him the option> just go file the claim right now with ebay/paypal. That will get his ass into gear, even if he refunds you, continue the one on ebay to prevent him from selling again, so at least he gets a strike -_-V

[quote name='Ice2Dragon']Dont even give him the option> just go file the claim right now with ebay/paypal. That will get his ass into gear, even if he refunds you, continue the one on ebay to prevent him from selling again, so at least he gets a strike -_-V[/quote]

Do it ASAP

how easy is it to make the claim (the escalated dispute) go away once i get my money? I've never escalated from a dispute to a claim before, and i kind of see it as setting gears in motion that aren't as easily reversed.

[quote name='tsunami_bomb3r']how easy is it to make the claim (the escalated dispute) go away once i get my money? I've never escalated from a dispute to a claim before, and i kind of see it as setting gears in motion that aren't as easily reversed.[/QUOTE]

I'm trying to remember. I've had a couple of disputes and only one escalated to a claim. The dispute was over a sealed game the buyer claimed had no disc. He sent it back to me, I returned it to the store, then I refunded him in full. As soon as I refunded the dispute was closed automatically. The claim I had a year ago I let go all the way through and PayPal sided with the buyer, eventually, but it took a while. It was a "lost" game sent to Spain when I said in the auction I was not responsible for lost items if the buyer chooses cheap-ass shipping, which he did. PayPal doesn't even consider ebay auction terms though and sided with him automatically. Then the rat bastard had the nerve to pester me for positive feedback for weeks afterwards :roll:. (Note that he also told me, AFTER he paid, that he often has mail lost or stolen so I should write the address clearly - PayPal wouldn't even consider this incriminating email from him during the process).

The thing is, I don't remember if I even had the option to refund once it went to a claim. I think we both had to wait for PayPal to review it, which took 20-30 days or so. So I see where your hesitation is. What is really frustrating is the guy can refund you with a click or two - log in to PayPal, go to the dispute page, click refund, and verify. It would take him a minute at most. I have a bad feeling he's up to something more though... Like, possibly, the money isn't there at this point to issue the refund.

You are nowhere near the end of the time in which to file a claim, so maybe give him another day or two to issue the refund. If he doesn't do it in that time, escalate it to a claim. I have no idea what this "claim with ebay" deal is about. I've never heard of that - just disputes/claims via PayPal (which, after all, is where the money is).

[quote name='tsunami_bomb3r']how easy is it to make the claim (the escalated dispute) go away once i get my money? I've never escalated from a dispute to a claim before, and i kind of see it as setting gears in motion that aren't as easily reversed.[/quote]

Um. instantly? You can select options right away, go do it now.. seriously . This jerkoff deserves to get infractions from ebay for that shit.. just cuz he lost money he screws you over.

Escalate the claim on paypal/ebay, asap -_-V right now in fact, the sooner you do it, the sooner you get your moolah back. Paypal takes a week, which gives him time to respond, when or if he does, respond back.

Im not 100 percent sure on ebay, but it happens very quickly.

[quote name='io']I
The thing is, I don't remember if I even had the option to refund once it went to a claim. I think we both had to wait for PayPal to review it, which took 20-30 days or so. So I see where your hesitation is. What is really frustrating is the guy can refund you with a click or two - log in to PayPal, go to the dispute page, click refund, and verify. It would take him a minute at most. I have a bad feeling he's up to something more though... Like, possibly, the money isn't there at this point to issue the refund.

You are nowhere near the end of the time in which to file a claim, so maybe give him another day or two to issue the refund. If he doesn't do it in that time, escalate it to a claim. I have no idea what this "claim with ebay" deal is about. I've never heard of that - just disputes/claims via PayPal (which, after all, is where the money is).[/quote]

You hit it on the head. I don't want to jump in to a claim quite yet, but it has been a full two weeks since the auction's ended -- and i'm sure his attitude would be much, MUCH different if I still had my money in my hand.

Either way, he's young (about my age), so he's 'getting around to it' (my words). He probably wasn't even sure that i could access his personal information from eBay.

aaaaaaaaannnnndd i've got my money back. and in the process, missed the same item for a few bucks cheaper. well boo.

anyway, thanks for sticking with me through this little saga.

in closing -- people, don't sit on $200 for two weeks and not expect someone to get at least a little frustrated.

also: I'm so shitlisting this guy on ebay.

bread's done
Back