Amazon $50 Tablet

Oisterboy

CAGiversary!
Feedback
8 (100%)
So I know mostly nothing about tablets. I was looking at this $50 one, and it looks pretty good as far as what I need from it. I'm not understanding a few things though, and I'm hoping someone here can maybe help me out.

Can I not access the google play store? Obviously Amazon is gonna want me to use their app store, and I don't think they have everything I need.

I need snapchat and instagram for sure, I'd like google Chrome as my browser, and I have a bunch of apps I like to use for video watching and photo management, etc. that I really need out of my tablet. 

I'm looking to replace my phone as my main browsing device. I kill the battery on it super fast because things I used to do at a PC (looking up info, browsing ebay, etc) I end up doing on my phone, and I'd prefer a bigger screen and a dedicated device for this.

If it doesn't come with the google play store, is there a simple way to get it there? I've done a lot of softmods and I know my way around that kind of thing, I'm not asking for links or even a name of the mods/roots/whatever it's called, I just need a yes or no and I can take it from there.

If this tablet isn't what I need, maybe someone can recommend another in the same vein and price range? I don't wanna spend over $50 before tax. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Nope, no Google Play out of the box.  I couldn't even find any decent alternate browsers on Amazon's App Store:  no Chrome; no Firefox; no Opera, even.  I googled around and I guess you can sideload Google Play if you trust this:  http://forum.xda-developers.com/amazon-fire/general/installing-google-framework-playstore-t3216122/post63101324#post63101324

Also, the battery isn't bad, but it's not great either.  If you were gonna do about 6 hours a day of internet use, you'd have to charge it once or twice.  It does charge fast, for what it's worth, and the charging port is on the top and pretty out of the way.

I like mine, it's very quick and stable, but it might not be for you.   I'd actually use mine more than my iPad if it just had a decent night mode browser, since the screen doesn't dim very much at all. 

Thanks man! I did some more reading and I think I'll grab one. I don't mind an ass backwards way of getting the Google play store. It says it works as a second screen for ps4 too so that's awesome.

I bought one to try. If I love it I'll probably get a bunch for Xmas.

Here's a question maybe someone can answer for me. I am primarily an Apple guy, but I work in IT and kind of sort of have to support some Droid devices, though not necessarily officially, if that makes sense. I've been considering getting a Droid device to play around with and I know this runs Amazon's own flavor of Droid, but how far off is it or is it possible to root this and run full on Marshmallow or whatever dumb name they're going with these days?

From what I have read and my very limited knowledge on the subject, out of the box this is going to be a very poor misrepresentation of Android. You'd be best off grabbing a used nexus tablet.

There are tweaks that require some effort, but apparently you can get access to the Google play store and install nova launcher to make it more like an actual android tablet, but amazamazon made it really difficult to rip theirs off and replace with full android. I'm willing to mess around with it, but don't recommend as a way of getting used to the os.

This tablet is about equivelant as a 2012 (1st gen) nexus 7. If its your first tablet and your not sure if your going to use it much. Pick it up. Since it's cheap and works a lot better than most of the other cheap tablets out there. Also good tablet for kids. So if they break it. It doesn't cost a fortune to replace.

Sorry dude, here ya go - 

http://www.amazon.com/Fire-Display-Wi-Fi-GB-Special/dp/B00TSUGXKE/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1445699204&sr=1-1&refinements=p_36%3A1253504011

Mine should be here Monday. Blows, it's in town but I don't have prime so I'll be waiting until Monday I guess. 

Edit: They named this thing really stupidly. I just call it the "50 dollar tablet" because there's no name differentiation significant enough to know I don't mean their other tablets.

Instead of "Fire" they should have called it "Spark" or something, since it's not the same as the others. Or "Smoke" (where there's smoke, there's fire...? IDK.)

bread's done
Back