Amazon: Buy a video game and get $5 in Mp3s

[quote name='cooljammer00']Pirating music is wrong.

Doesn't mean we don't do it. Don't try to justify music piracy as alright.

Damn, people.[/QUOTE]

This.

I can't believe this thread is still open.

[quote name='helluvagood']this isn't even a deal... I don't know anyone in RL who actually pays to download music lol[/QUOTE]

There is actually some music I'd like to bootleg but I can't because nobody has it. If the $5 credit stacks then its a pretty good deal.

Funny, the same people that are for pirating music will tear another guy a new one for pirating games because it doesn't "support the industry."

[quote name='crunchb3rry']Funny, the same people that are for pirating music will tear another guy a new one for pirating games because it doesn't "support the industry."[/QUOTE]

I know I would.

[quote name='poker360']people that aren't criminals and that have morals[/QUOTE]

morals? doesn't someone deserve to get knocked off their fucking high-horse.

[quote name='Vegan']I can't believe this thread is still open.[/QUOTE]
I agree. I would think that the $5 MP3 credit is fairly general knowledge on these boards by this point. This thread has drifted from focusing on a deal to music piracy. Any arguments made in this thread, either for or against, aren't likely to change anyone's mind. Hopefully the mods step in and at the very least clean this thread up.

[quote name='Thrinn']I agree. I would think that the $5 MP3 credit is fairly general knowledge on these boards by this point. This thread has drifted from focusing on a deal to music piracy. Any arguments made in this thread, either for or against, aren't likely to change anyone's mind. Hopefully the mods step in.[/QUOTE]

stop bringing logical thought to the internet. i heard that gets you banned.

I don't see why Amazon is doing this. We're buying video games, we should get $5 towards another video game. Not interested in music so that's going to waste for me & if I ever was, it'd be pirated.

[quote name='Vegan']Buy a fucking video game soundtrack if you're so one-sided and boring.[/QUOTE]
Those that have music worth listening over & over to already come with an OST most of the time.

Dohoho.

Since the thread has gone off the rails anyway. I've bought Dead Mans Gun from RDR and Castlevania from Video Games Live. Any other things to get since no game soundtracks are $5 or less. And don't say Saboteur soundtrack.

It should be noted, that you will receive the credit almost instantly after place a preorder.

I guess in theory, if you wanted to milk the system, you could go preorder wild.

[quote name='UberNinjaz']I don't see why Amazon is doing this. We're buying video games, we should get $5 towards another video game. Not interested in music so that's going to waste for me & if I ever was, it'd be pirated.[/QUOTE]
Amazon is giving something away for free and your telling them "No, I want something different for free." Your parents did a shitty job.

Why are discussions about pirating music condoned (or at worst, ignored) but you'll have a posse coming after you, RDR style, if you broach anything even remotely related to video game piracy? Moral justifications aside (e.g. everyone does it, I'm poor, those bastards make too much and don't give any to the artists), both forms of piracy are unethical. It just seems like tolerating a discussion about music piracy is inching awfully close to a double standard.

[quote name='sonicradiation']Why are discussions about pirating music condoned (or at worst, ignored) but you'll have a posse coming after you, RDR style, if you broach anything even remotely related to video game piracy? Moral justifications aside (e.g. everyone does it, I'm poor, those bastards make too much and don't give any to the artists), both forms of piracy are unethical. It just seems like tolerating a discussion about music piracy is inching awfully close to a double standard.[/QUOTE]

Inching? It is a blatant double standard. According to these geniuses, it's fine to pirate one type of information but horrible to even think about pirating the other type.

[quote name='gettinmoney662']Inching? It is a blatant double standard. According to these geniuses, it's fine to pirate one type of information but horrible to even think about pirating the other type.[/QUOTE]

This x1000.

[quote name='gettinmoney662']Inching? It is a blatant double standard. According to these geniuses, it's fine to pirate one type of information but horrible to even think about pirating the other type.[/QUOTE]

Because the only thing that matters in life is videogames! I get to choose what I support, regardless of whether or not I partake of it! /sarcasm

[quote name='sonicradiation']Why are discussions about pirating music condoned (or at worst, ignored) but you'll have a posse coming after you, RDR style, if you broach anything even remotely related to video game piracy? Moral justifications aside (e.g. everyone does it, I'm poor, those bastards make too much and don't give any to the artists), both forms of piracy are unethical. It just seems like tolerating a discussion about music piracy is inching awfully close to a double standard.[/QUOTE]

Now something that would get people all excited is credit for xbox live tunes to put on the hard drive while gaming. The stuff you buy the last time i knew is super protected so they do not work on all devices. This was a long time ago but if i can not play them on portable devices and i bought the rights well forget even the free stuff.

Now watch ebay flood with music $5 auctions for amazon now. I will crack up laughing so hard. I am shocked nobody is doing that cause i seen some wild stuff on ebay and shocked they sell.

[quote name='UberNinjaz']I don't see why Amazon is doing this. We're buying video games, we should get $5 towards another video game. Not interested in music so that's going to waste for me & if I ever was, it'd be pirated.[/QUOTE]

It's to convince buyers to pick up other media. If you buy music you get VOD credit, if you buy games you get music credit. They actually used to offer credit for games on demand, but all of them were shitty ultra low tier PC games.

They also give credit towards other games, but only if you preorder specific titles. It's usually $10 for mid tier games with lots of buzz, or $20 for major titles that spur store pricewars.

Not that I condone piracy, but is there any difference between downloading music illegally and buying a used CD from someone on eBay? You're not supporting the original artist or recording label when you buy used, but it's not illegal. Just offering an argument I didn't really think about for too long XD Anyway, this is neat. Already got a few of the $5 albums they're offering through the video game purchases I've made including one Gamecube controller, though I thought it was limited to actual games

I see why Amazon is doing this. When they first did this offer about a year ago, I tried out their music service and fell in love with it. I've spent a ton of money at their music store ever since.

[quote name='Naterrs']Not that I condone piracy, but is there any difference between downloading music illegally and buying a used CD from someone on eBay? You're not supporting the original artist or recording label when you buy used, but it's not illegal. Just offering an argument I didn't really think about for too long XD Anyway, this is neat. Already got a few of the $5 albums they're offering through the video game purchases I've made including one Gamecube controller, though I thought it was limited to actual games[/QUOTE]

Here is why buying used is legal. When you buy a CD, you're really buying a license to listen to that music; the CD is merely a way to get the music to you. As long as you have it in your possession, you hold the "deed", so to speak.

When you sell it, you're passing it on to someone else, and LEGALLY SPEAKING you're not supposed to listen to it anymore. That includes any mp3 rips or whatever you may have done. The demand from one customer has been filled while at the same time you are now deprived and demand has been created again (assuming it's a good album that you'll want to listen to again someday). You could still argue that you "stole" a potential real sale, but that's the idea.

The other day at work, someone was actually trying to tell me that "burn and return" (or in this case "burn and trade in") is perfectly legal and morally sound. If this person had been 16 years old, I could've understood because kids growing up now have a skewed sense of what copyright is, but this person is 45!

[quote name='gettinmoney662']I see why Amazon is doing this. When they first did this offer about a year ago, I tried out their music service and fell in love with it. I've spent a ton of money at their music store ever since.[/QUOTE]

This. and Amazon's music recommendation system has gotten much better over the past year too - it's like it knows what I want before I do!...scary

bread's done
Back