Amazon.ca code states "this offer has expired"

killmak

CAGiversary!
Feedback
19 (100%)
Is it the end of the amazon.ca code or am I just retarded? I know that this is not a "deal" however if the code is indeed dead it is important news. I dont want to hear anybody telling me to move it. If you think it should be moved contact a mod and get them to do it as I dont care.

We know, killmak. Stop pouring salt on the wounds!!! I'm trying to forget, like Firestorm.

I think I'm gonna have nightmares again tonight...

I wonder if somewhere, someone decided to run a sales report. "Hey, remember that welcome code that we had active for a month, what, two years back? I wonder how many sales that lead to."

"'For a month'?"

"Yeah, it was a promo to test the coupon system. We had it up for a while, then shut it off. A pilot project, I suppose."

"Oh."

"What do you mean 'Oh'?"

"Well, according to the computer, it was never really shut off. It's been active for the past two years. I guess no one checked on it."

"What? Has it been used?"

"Sorta. You see, this was also before we coded in the 'one use per shipping address rule'. Let me run a report to see just how many dollars in discounts we've given out with this thing. {clickity query click}."

The sound that follows could best be described as a "Corporate jawplotz".

What code are you guys talking about and what kind of discount or benefits did it give you?

BTW I'm not from Canada but I would still like to know. Please enlighten me. :D

Good. Stop people from gaming the system.

$10 off every purchase? Some "deals" are just too good to be true.

[quote name='blueweltall']What code are you guys talking about and what kind of discount or benefits did it give you?

BTW I'm not from Canada but I would still like to know. Please enlighten me. :D[/quote]

It was basically a 10 bucks off every purchase of 40 bucks or more, which means a good deal off pretty much every new game release (and it didn't only work on games, everything off amazon.ca!).

not liking this at all since i just purchased stoked and a points card from them..could of enjoyed that discount..i guess the only proper thing to do is to say

RIP amazon $10 off deal..you will be missed by all

or we should all sign an online petition and email it to them that we want the code back haha..proberly wouldnt work though..or were all too lazy to do that lol

[quote name='rkpoole49']or we should all sign an online petition and email it to them that we want the code back haha..proberly wouldnt work though..or were all too lazy to do that lol[/quote]

In the petition we can state that we enjoyed using the code repeatedly and really want it back as we have as a group saved thousands of dollars by repeatedly making new accounts.

[quote name='killmak']Maybe they will look at the number of new accounts the $10 off code brought in and decide to start it up again.[/quote]

I'm sure they did, which is why they kept the code going.

Then they grouped the report by "Shipping Address"...

They probably found out the code was still active after their sales shot through the roof even in bad economic times. Now they've solved that problem and they'll fall back to their normal, stinky numbers as people stop purchasing from them XD

I would assume they weighed the number of new legitimate customers versus the number of fraudulent new customers and made their decision.

I don't remember the exact numbers, but it would not surprise me if the use of the $10 off code for an already discounted new release game would have dropped it below their purchase cost.

I don't see them shedding any tears over those type of lost "sales". :roll:

[quote name='collector42']I would assume they weighed the number of new legitimate customers versus the number of fraudulent new customers and made their decision.
[/quote]
Exactly. RFD alone must count for tens of thousands of accounts made and used only ONCE. From what I've read about the code, it's not like it was common knowledge for legitimate first time users. I doubt they'll lose any potential new customers over this. Good decision on their part, I hope they single out addresses as one time use for future codes to avoid people abusing it like they have this.

If Amazon.ca's prices and sales were generally in line with their .com's equivalent (after exchange rate of course), the loss of this coupon wouldn't be quite as drastic. As it stands, amazon.ca pales in comparison with the .com equivalent in just about every way (with exception of Atlus stock since .ca stocks just about all Atlus titles and usually with a better price). I mean, they still don't have a listing for The Last Remnant and the .com site has it for *checks* 36.99 USD. WTF!?

Last edited by a moderator:
^ Exactly. I emailed them many times for games like Castlevania DS, Ultimate Shooting Collection Wii and hell, even Kingdom Hearts: COM PS2 and basically their reply was we're sorry, but we'll never stock those. Go buy them elsewhere.

Also everyone should note that this was a VISA coupon, so it's probably them who pulled the plug, not amazon.ca

You know, for all the sanctimony, Amazon did keep this promotion running for over 2 years legitimately. If it was a real problem, they would have killed in ages ago.
That said, it ended for real back in the end of the year and for some reason they just forgot to deactivate the code then.

This will make for interesting sales though if they don't reinstate the code. With the code they were making large orders for most new games. With out the codes sales will be much lower which will hopefully lead to over stock and discounts :)
I'm actually surprised this code has lasted this long with the Video Games. Considering with the codes they were selling the games below cost.

The 10 bucks off probably just came from visa, so i don't think Amazon suffered any losses. And lets be honest does anyone actually think Visa took a loss, and if they did who cares they're VISA.

Visa was the marketing partner, they weren't footing the bill for this or any of the other coupons on their site.

It was available for way longer then 2 years. It was originally $10 off $50, with a new code appearing on visa's site every quarter. I first used it to buy GAMECUBE games like pikmin and star wars when there weren't that many gamecube games out when amazon.ca first had games. For a long time they improperly taxed the game section the same as books = no PST :)

RFD is too big now, all ongoing deals will be killed by it.

I hope that they'll honour the deal if the item that you buy is backordered, I used the coupon when I pre-ordered a 360 Hori EX2 stick, at least the status of the PS3 Hori stick page has changed which means they might get a shipment sometime this week.

I dont know how they didnt catch on sooner that people were abusing it. I used the code about 100 times. I found a way to use it on the same account more than once which was nice.

If there's something good to be taken out of this, it's that Amazon is able to offer better deals without the coupon, at their own discretion.

For instance, LittleBigPlanet is just $46.99 now.

Ya Amazon is still useful...however I would never BUY from them anymore as their shipping often takes awhile and its easier to run over to FS and PM the item instead.

I would rather use Amazon then have to PM them. I'm not close to any FS or BB but I love home delivery anyways. Games I get are almost always over 39 so it is free.

I didn't overdo the coupon but I was thinking about using it again before hearing it expired.

Every time I try to PM Amazon, it never works out that great. If they do match the price, it's always with the fastest shipping tacked on, which pretty much makes the deal worse or just even.

im still thinking about that petition..they could make up their own coupon..maybe from mastercard this time or something..if they would see how many ppl would sign it im sure they will think about putting another coupon up for all of us..i wouldnt mind seeing the fastest shipping for free with a coupon :p

...I have a lil bit of an inkling that this little coupon may only be on temporary leave...it left a few times already, came back...

[quote name='Lone_Prodigy']I only bought a couple games with the coupon: I mainly used it for textbooks. Good thing I'm almost finished my degree. =)[/quote]

That's my main loss.
I saved easily $100 a semester using this coupon (pretty much one per book!)

[quote name='Spades22']...I have a lil bit of an inkling that this little coupon may only be on temporary leave...it left a few times already, came back...[/quote]

The previous times it expired it was relisted on the visaperks.ca site fairly quickly. I guess we can keep checking to see if they put it up again, but it's already been 2 months.

Somehow I'm also positive another kind of similar coupon will reappear. If not, I guess I'll only buy from them during boxing day / the odd sale / for Atlus games.

Nooooooooooooooo are you guys serious? I used that coupon on every game I've bought since September! I was about to order some BDs with it tomorrow. Weak. At least their new games are still discounted by 10%, better than any retail store. I'll stick with them for games.

Nooooooooooooooo are you guys serious? I used that coupon on every game I've bought since September! I was about to order some BDs with it tomorrow. Weak. At least their new games are still discounted by 10%, better than any retail store. I'll stick with them for games.

lol well if you want the cheapest try craigslist..depending on where you are..im in the vancouver area and a lot of people post games on there so its always the best deal for newer games

bread's done
Back