[Amazon.ca] Hori arcade/fighting sticks $28.89 (PS3) / $31.78 (XB360)

Thanks Vegi, I just ordered 2 for my PS3. Kinda funny how I was literally at EB last night sizing up the street fighter 4 arcade sticks and found myself tempted to get one for the $100ish price tag. Saves me a bunch.

[quote name='jeffx']I want the PS3 one... but there are no SHMUPS on the PS3!!!![/QUOTE]
Capcom's '1942'?
Thexder?
The one with the German-like title I don't remember and don't want to type out but is the same length as this sentence?

...do those count??

Anyone had first-hand experience with these? Someone on RFD is saying that they're terrible and that the joystick actually gets stuck when doing "fighting" moves.

Wow, great deal. I bought my Hori FS3 last november from Amazon and I just love it. Makes fighting games 10x more fun and adds to that nostalgic feel if you ever played much in arcades. A no brainer for anyone who had been slightly considering buying one.

[quote name='Jouvert']Anyone had first-hand experience with these? Someone on RFD is saying that they're terrible and that the joystick actually gets stuck when doing "fighting" moves.[/QUOTE]

Still cheaper to buy one of these and mod it.

I modded one with no previous experience.

You shouldn't even need to solder, they should use quick disconnects.

these sticks are seriously horrible. they have a square stick housing rather than circular, which makes fighting games retardedly hard to play.

^ seriously? thanks for the warning

I've been meaning to pick a stick for the Wii for some time though. Don't say the Hori. I've read good things about Mad Catz' Tatsunoko stick, but it's a little outside of my budget.

[quote name='Nukkus']these sticks are seriously horrible. they have a square stick housing rather than circular, which makes fighting games retardedly hard to play.[/QUOTE]

Bought one last year and modded it with parts from Lizard Lick amusements. http://www.lizardlick.com/index.shtml

Cost $5 for a octagonal restirctor plate and took 5 minutes to install. You can't get an arcade stick for that cheap. I've used mine for MvC2 and SF4 over the last year and it's been a workhorse.

[quote name='Nukkus']these sticks are seriously horrible. they have a square stick housing rather than circular, which makes fighting games retardedly hard to play.[/QUOTE]

Ask anyone who knows their sticks: it's all about preference. I bought the PS3 Hori stick (linked to in this thread) and modded it with all Sanwa parts, and kept the square restrictor that came with it. You get used it after continuous use, and after a while you won't want to go back to circle sticks. For example, I was playing Ms. Pacman at an arcade the other day, and it just felt so awkward to me because it had a circular restrictor.

This is a GREAT deal for a stick though, although a word of caution: the buttons on the PS3 stick (I imagine they are the same for the 360 one) feel very cheap and "cushiony". They don't feel good at all, and you're going to want to replace them at the very least. Getting a Sanwa stick in there takes a little more work than mosts mods, but if you're gonna be opening this up to add new buttons, you'd might as well replace the stick with a quality one as well.

This is my stick for anyone curious (first time modder): http://img246.imageshack.us/img246/3361/46390080.jpg

I disagree, sir--and, glancing upward, agree with DMPugh. I have both a custom-built Xbox 360 stick (sanwa) and a modified Street Fighter IV Standard Edition Fightstick (also sanwa) and I use square restrictors by choice. It's strange initially to do a 360 degree motion and hit "corners", but you get used to it and eventually it's much easier to pull off corner moves with them (like shoryuken/tiger knee/teleport/etc.)

Japanese arcades typically use square restrictors as well. It's not "wrong" (or horrible, retarded, whatever...) it's just different. If you tried it long enough you might prefer it.

[quote name='WillGabriel']I disagree, sir--and, glancing upward, agree with DMPugh. I have both a custom-built Xbox 360 stick (sanwa) and a modified Street Fighter IV Standard Edition Fightstick (also sanwa) and I use square restrictors by choice. It's strange initially to do a 360 degree motion and hit "corners", but you get used to it and eventually it's much easier to pull off corner moves with them (like shoryuken/tiger knee/teleport/etc.)

Japanese arcades typically use square restrictors as well. It's not "wrong" (or horrible, retarded, whatever...) it's just different. If you tried it long enough you might prefer it.[/QUOTE]

Well gee you know, when you're an avid arcade gamer who plays on western machines every day, the square restrictors are incredibly weirdass feeling. I'm entitled to my opinion, and i am sticking to it.

[quote name='Nukkus']Well gee you know, when you're an avid arcade gamer who plays on western machines every day, the square restrictors are incredibly weirdass feeling. I'm entitled to my opinion, and i am sticking to it.[/QUOTE]

No, it's cool. I just think it's best not to dissuade others from making a purchase based on your own taste.

[quote name='addone']
Thexder?

...do those count??[/QUOTE]
This is an action shooting platformer that allows you to become a 'space ship that shoots', but it's in no way a shootemup.

Best bet are the R-Type games (both of them) on Playstation Originals.

And for anyone who is looking for a stick for TatsuCap, there's nothing better than the TatsuCap stick. SF4 TE stick quality (possibly better) but for the SF4 SE price.

[quote name='WillGabriel']No, it's cool. I just think it's best not to dissuade others from making a purchase based on your own taste.[/QUOTE]
Yeah I just wanted to point out that when you're calling something "unusable" or "retarded" you should mention that it's because of something preference-based and not a reflection on the quality of the stick... I mean opinions are fine but lets be a little more clear for those who aren't totally sure if a fighting stick (let alone a Hori) is right for them.

These prices are fantastic and you could easily enjoy this stick for months. Even then you could mod it very easily to customize it to your style for very cheap. A hot deal IMO.

The PS3 stick will also work for PC games... like emulators... unfortunately though, not on PS2... just picked one up thanks.

Hmmm not sure how many I want. What's the original price on these?

EDIT: Nvm according to the review they were $50. Limited budget so I guess I'll just grab one and a book, thanks OP!

how come the 360 one doesn't have 4 buttons across like the PS3 one?

I really want a stick and was holding out for a (hopefully) one day low price on the SFIV TE sticks...but this is tempting...

[quote name='kyle071785']how come the 360 one doesn't have 4 buttons across like the PS3 one?[/QUOTE]
PS3 has 4 triggers buttons, whereas the 360 only has 2 useful triggers and 2 useless triggers. So they didn't bother mapping it all? :lol:

I picked up the PS3 Fightstick 3 a few weeks ago and it works great. It is reasonably sized and has some weight to it. It worked great with SF4, although it takes time to get comfortable with a stick after having played SF4 on regular controllers since launch.

My only complaint is that the buttons feel really cheap, hopefully I'll mod them with Sanwa parts in the summer. The stick is alright, the square gate takes some getting used to but I got really comfortable with it since I played charge characters in SF4. I figure I might as well mod the stick for a Sanwa one if I'm replacing the buttons too.

[quote name='CoachHines']I picked up the PS3 Fightstick 3 a few weeks ago and it works great. It is reasonably sized and has some weight to it. It worked great with SF4, although it takes time to get comfortable with a stick after having played SF4 on regular controllers since launch.

My only complaint is that the buttons feel really cheap, hopefully I'll mod them with Sanwa parts in the summer. The stick is alright, the square gate takes some getting used to but I got really comfortable with it since I played charge characters in SF4. I figure I might as well mod the stick for a Sanwa one if I'm replacing the buttons too.[/QUOTE]
The buttons are fairly cheap. They're pretty much just a chinese knock off of sanwa parts. For a basic entry level stick though the price is great. In terms of modding, everything in there needs to be soldered so it does require some work to change the buttons and joystick.

Wow, thank you very much for posting this. I was considering to pick one up this week for 60, and this was a nice surprise.

They are USB wired, the PS3 one can also be used on PC with emulators and such.

No idea about the Intec stick but the Intec brand itself isnt too reliable

[quote name='Clark.Griswold']
Anyone have any feedback on the Intec Combat Arcade Stick? I saw it for only $19.99 at FS the other day and was shocked they sold sticks for that price.[/QUOTE]
Short of an EBgames clearance, the price alone will tell you if a stick is shit or not.

[quote name='poiuiu']Short of an EBgames clearance, the price alone will tell you if a stick is shit or not.[/QUOTE]
Well then what does that say about the Hori ones?... Anyone have any experience with the Intec ones?

These Hori ones are hit or miss, if you're not picky with stick quality. The Intec ones are just awful.

i'm a pretty casual fighting game fan on the ps3 so i picked one of these up figuring it'd suit my needs to play mvc2 and ssf2thd when i get the urge (sadly, my ps1 stick stopped working on the ps3 after one of the firmware updates). i figure it'll be fine for the price.

the only thing i may want to do to it is install an octagonal restrictor plate (i'll play with the square stock one for a bit to see how it feels). has anyone done this? i've seen a video on youtube and it looks pretty simple. i'm just curious as to what i'd need to do to the actual plate before installing it. do i need to drill holes or anything, or just sand off the grooves?

as i said, it looks pretty simple and it'd cost under $10...just wondering if it's actually as simple as it looks. i don't care too much about switching the buttons out.

[quote name='cm matty']i'm a pretty casual fighting game fan on the ps3 so i picked one of these up figuring it'd suit my needs to play mvc2 and ssf2thd when i get the urge (sadly, my ps1 stick stopped working on the ps3 after one of the firmware updates). i figure it'll be fine for the price.

the only thing i may want to do to it is install an octagonal restrictor plate (i'll play with the square stock one for a bit to see how it feels). has anyone done this? i've seen a video on youtube and it looks pretty simple. i'm just curious as to what i'd need to do to the actual plate before installing it. do i need to drill holes or anything, or just sand off the grooves?

as i said, it looks pretty simple and it'd cost under $10...just wondering if it's actually as simple as it looks. i don't care too much about switching the buttons out.[/QUOTE]
+1, wondering the same thing

Wouldn't the cheapest shipping charges for just the PS3 stick ($28.89, clicked link now shows, $34.39) be $5 + $2/lb. When I got the stick a while back the UPS package said its 5lbs. So really it would be $15+ $28.89/$34.39+tax. So it's low enough that it would not be much cheaper to add another item that qualifies the order for free shipping. The idea is that people would spend more at amazon.ca by entising them with the free shipping. When I bought the stick it was 6 cents short of free shipping, and I found a 70cent french play book that qualified for free shipping.
The final amount paid in these situations will still be in the low $40s.

Mine arrived in three days. I'm impressed.

They're not the greatest 360 controllers I've ever used, but they plug into a PC really nice and their boards will be nice additions to my MAME cabinet.

FYI for all interested in the 360 stick:

A friend of mine said he bought it and it broke down easily. Apparently its not great quality. Also, the button placement of the LB and RB means that its not a good choice for SF4 players.

Cheers.

Pretty sure you can map buttons in SF4 so that really shouldn't be a problem where the LB and RB since LB was useless anyways and heavy kick you can just map as one of the other buttons.

The fact that it breaks down easily is the problem lol. But if you go on sites where you can buy sanwa parts, especially since there not that expensive then you're still good.

The placement of the LT and RT buttons on the 360 version make sense when you consider the placement of the other buttons, which are set up so you can spread out four fingers over A-B-X-Y NeoGeo-style. I like that.

^^ RB and LB not the trigger buttons from 360. The bumper buttons are where the R3 and L3 buttons are on the ps3 version of this.

I decided to grab one just because it was cheap and people said it a fairly good housing if you ever decide to mod it, which is what I'm doing to do soon enough anyways. Ordered it wed night and came here this afternoon, it's not a BAD stick but the square gate definitely gets to me.

bread's done
Back