Amazon.com dotd: Tritton AX Pro Dolby Digi Precision Headset $140 (ps3/xbox360/win)

I've been meaning to test how these compare to the A40/Mix Amp combo. The build quality definitely seems poorer, and some past reviews mentioned significant durability issues. The A40s are very comfortable, but not blown away by the directionality, and the mic performance on the 360 seems poor - although that could be my controller jack.

Looking forward to the feedback here.

I like mine, the sound quality is good, but xbox live chat can be very hard to hear during a Modern Warfare firefight, which really sucks.

Mix Amp is generally regarded as better IIRC, especially considering you can use nearly any pair of standard stereo headphones with it.

[quote name='hxcmusic']I like mine, the sound quality is good, but xbox live chat can be very hard to hear during a Modern Warfare firefight, which really sucks.[/QUOTE]

Or a blessing. The first headset with a control module that lights up the words "Whiny Pre-Pubescent Filter" and automatically activates said filter as needed, well, I'm in.

[quote name='gantt']Or a blessing. The first headset with a control module that lights up the words "Whiny Pre-Pubescent Filter" and automatically activates said filter as needed, well, I'm in.[/QUOTE]

There's something about people complaining about voice chat that just never gets old. It's an endless source of non-tired, not-antisocial comedic gold.

[quote name='eastx']There's something about people complaining about voice chat that just never gets old. It's an endless source of non-tired, not-antisocial comedic gold.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. Why else would XBL not offer the ability to filter matches by age? Probably because none of the ages are real. Perhaps I just need a good in-line low-pass filter.

In any event, all gaming headsets are probably equally susceptible to this curse, even the high-end models, so I suppose we can dispense with further discussion of this factor.

I think it is worth pointing out the flip side, however. While games like BF1943 still have a decent number of players, I think I've heard maybe one person speak in over 100 matches. More or less renders the voice-related features of these headsets academic, unless you're playing with talkative friends with mics.

[quote name='gantt']Agreed. Why else would XBL not offer the ability to filter matches by age? Probably because none of the ages are real. Perhaps I just need a good in-line low-pass filter.
[/QUOTE]

You nailed it. One of my coworkers had to go to help out an executive's son set up his 360 so he could play online. He was only 10, but they had to put in his mother's age and credit card number so he could play Modern Warfare 2.

I got these during the Gameshark sale for $100 a while back. They are a good set of headphones. I really like them. I don't use the microphone and have heard it breaks easily, but the headset is superb. Don't listen to the whiny naysayers! It's a good, cheaper high-end headset.

[quote name='Darknuke']I got these during the Gameshark sale for $100 a while back. They are a good set of headphones. I really like them. I don't use the microphone and have heard it breaks easily, but the headset is superb. Don't listen to the whiny naysayers! It's a good, cheaper high-end headset.[/QUOTE]

Cheaper? I don't know many console gaming headsets that are more expensive, except the A30/40/Mixamp and the Turtle Beach X41.

I had both these and the AX720s and I'd definitely recommend the 720 over the Pros. The 720s may only be simulated surround, but the sound field and sound quality were both superior on the 720s. Everything on the Pros sounded off, or very far away and echo-y...like shooting a gun in an empty hangar. I returned the Pros. The consensus on AVSforum was the same, but I bought the Pros since the reviews on youtube were so positive. Plus you can use the amp from the 720s if you ever upgrade to a higher quality set down the road.

bread's done
Back