Amazon.com PS3 Slim 120GB Preorder Now Available $299

retail sucks

CAGiversary!
Feedback
33 (100%)
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002I0J4VQ/ref=pe_24010_12820090_fe_exp_1/

I just received an email about this from Amazon.

PlayStation 3 120 GB purchase limit policy
As you may know, the PlayStation 3 120 GB is in great demand, and there are shortages of this product across the U.S. In an effort to provide as many customers as possible with the opportunity to purchase PlayStation 3 120 GB, we are limiting the total number of PlayStation 3 120 GB units that can be purchased. As a result, each household may only purchase one PlayStation 3 120 GB unit. See additional policy details here.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='confoosious']Just got my shipping notice. It's a town away....[/QUOTE]

Well, dammit, I was in the same boat as you (Prime, delivery supposedly on the 28th) but mine is still "Shipping Soon" :bomb:.

[quote name='io']Well, dammit, I was in the same boat as you (Prime, delivery supposedly on the 28th) but mine is still "Shipping Soon" :bomb:.[/QUOTE]

Have faith IO....

and if you dont get it tomorrow, call them and ask them for $15 back.

Got mine from Amazon today. It's already froze on me twice: once in the browser and once while I was playing the Infamous demo. Not sure if it was just coincidental. Too early to tell if I got a bad one.

[quote name='jaso']Got mine from Amazon today. It's already froze on me twice: once in the browser and once while I was playing the Infamous demo. Not sure if it was just coincidental. Too early to tell if I got a bad one.[/QUOTE]

I've had my PS3 freeze twice I think since I bought it at launch.

[quote name='akuma148']Mine should be arriving today, just waiting for the UPS guy to come. Damn this wait is killing me. Also, the UPS guy usually comes between 5-7pm, ugh.[/QUOTE]
Finally arrived at exactly 7:15pm. Man, UPS took longer than usual to get here. How come when you're anxiously waiting for something, it takes forever to get here?

I don't know if anyone has the same thing I'm getting. For reference, I made my order on Sunday, Aug 23. After posting the reply that Amazon gave me above, a few hours later they sent me another email saying my package was shipped, by Fedex! and Overnight shipping! Yayyy! The amazon tracking page wasn't very descriptive so I went to the fedex website and stuck in my tracking number. Here's some nice details.

Ship date
helpIcon.gif

Aug 27, 2009

Estimated delivery
helpIcon.gif

Aug 28, 2009 by 3:00 PM

Destination

Somewhere in Texas haha

Service type:

Standard Overnight

Weight
12.0 lbs/5.4 kg

It's coming from Kansas overnight. I had ordered on the 23rd and was in limbo until late yesterday. I don't know if that email was the one that pushed the overnight shipping, but I'm glad I sent it any way. I'm surprised they said by 3PM on the fedex page.

I made my order on the 19th with FSSS. I received the shipped email today(27th). And it will be arriving the later today(28th). I feel bad for the people who paid for faster shipping and didn't get it. It's being shipped from Arizona.

[quote name='kimbaka']Sending Amazon an email does wonders. I preordered on August 23rd with 2 day shipping and the estimated date was 8/28. Today at 4 PM it still said it hadn't been shipped. Sent them an email asking what's up and an hour later I get a shipping notification saying it's on its way and should be here tomorrow. They seem to be having lots of delays on their end, but it's cool that they're overnighting it to me (despite me choosing two day delivery) just to meet the original estimated date.[/QUOTE]

I missed this comment originally but this is exactly what happened to me. I emailed them about it and got no response but late this evening I got a shipping notice saying it would be here tomorrow via Fedex.

It can't just be coincidence that this has happened to several people in this thread? I wonder what would have happened if I hadn't contacted them?

August 27, 2009 10:35:00 PM OAKLAND CA US Arrival Scan
August 27, 2009 07:47:00 PM PHOENIX AZ US Departure Scan
August 27, 2009 11:14:00 AM PHOENIX AZ US Shipment received by carrier
August 27, 2009 09:08:38 PM --- Shipment has left seller facility and is in transit

Yeah, looks like they didn't get it out until pretty late Thursday. But hell, it made it halfway here already in just the first few hours. The times are a bit wacky there, but it does appear they intended to send it this way as of 11 AM Thursday, which was before I emailed them. So maybe it would have been this way all along.

Edit: :rofl: I just now got a response from Amazon customer service about the shipping telling me that it has been shipped and should get here tomorrow. Well, duh, I got the notice already (after my initial email). However, they seem to have ignored my email asking why I didn't get multiple $5 MP3 bonuses for the orders I put in before they changed the terms on that deal :roll:.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='io']
It can't just be coincidence that this has happened to several people in this thread? I wonder what would have happened if I hadn't contacted them?

[/QUOTE]

I actually think it is a coincidence. The shipping channel being what it is, I doub't someone in an Indian call center can so quickly get one out to you simply because you called. I think it's one of those deals where Amazon got it out the door en masse and it wasn't tracked until it hit a distribution point closer to everyone's houses.

A little off topic but still PS3 related since I'm a new owner: having to download a demo and then install it too is pretty lame.

[quote name='jaso']A little off topic but still PS3 related since I'm a new owner: having to download a demo and then install it too is pretty lame.[/QUOTE]

Get used to it. At least you purchased after the every week firmware updates that took 45 minutes to download and install. If it really bothers you, upgrade it with a 7200rpm hard drive, and they'll install noticeably faster.

[quote name='bleak']If it really bothers you, upgrade it with a 7200rpm hard drive, and they'll install noticeably faster.[/QUOTE]

Amen to that. The Western Digital Caviar Black is an excellent upgrade because it's 7200 rpm and has 16 MB of cache.

[quote name='jaso']A little off topic but still PS3 related since I'm a new owner: having to download a demo and then install it too is pretty lame.[/QUOTE]

Just like a PC., I actually like the feature. Lets PS3 download in background and it helps those who might be running out of space to clear out their mess before installing.

Yeah, that extra button press is a lot of work.

Seriously, it would be nice if there was an option o automatically install when the download was complete. But the install step has never bothered me.

I don't ever recall having to do that on any of my PS3s (slim included). Is this new?

Bleak - Don't use the PS3 to do the update. That's always slow. Download it from playstation.com and install it using a Flash Drive. You'll have it installed AND updated before the unit gets to 10%

Woohoo got my PS3 slim from Amazon! Fedex guy came at 2PM and handed it to me without signature. The MGS4 game that shipped separately 2 days ago, however, and is sitting at a neighboring city right now, was botched by UPS and is rescheduled for Monday delivery. It said incorrect routing at UPS facility or something like that on the UPS tracking page and on the Amazon page, it said it was out for delivery in Mykawa, TX, which I've never heard of. Hopefully it really ISN'T out for delivery. This is actually the first time UPS has botched my order. I'll give them a pass since I've already played MGS4 before.

[quote name='gunm']Yay, my Slim is "Out for Delivery"! I dunno why, but I'm kind of excited![/QUOTE]

Same here - even though I won't be setting it up till next week ;). And speaking of updates, my son just tried to play Pain on our old system and even though I've updated the crap out of that game, it insisted on 3 more updates which so far has been taking an hour to complete. Yeah, sometimes this update business can be a real pain in the ass.

Just rec'd it now! Will open it up after I get home from work. I can tell already it's quite a bit lighter than the PS3fat, but oddly enough, it had a sticker on it that warned the contents were heavy and to lift with care.

[quote name='akuma148']Finally arrived at exactly 7:15pm. Man, UPS took longer than usual to get here. How come when you're anxiously waiting for something, it takes forever to get here?[/QUOTE]

Man do I hate that. I ended up checking the tracking on the UPS like every 15 minutes. Even when I know it will take a few days. Some times I think somehow my delivery will speed up and it will come like over night.

[quote name='dallow']Yeah, hopefully Sony finds a way to streamline that crap for the future.
cagus.smile.jpg
[/QUOTE]
Pass off an email with a few hints to support. They do listen occasionally.

[quote name='no_exit']Yeah, that extra button press is a lot of work.

Seriously, it would be nice if there was an option o automatically install when the download was complete. But the install step has never bothered me.[/QUOTE]

I can't speak for the guy you quoted, but I don't think anyone believes the annoyance rests with the force it takes to push a button, but rather that after downloading a game of considerable size you can't just navigate to it and start playing it. It's not really a big deal in the grand scheme of things, but I don't think it's an invalid complaint.

[quote name='tenma']I can't speak for the guy you quoted, but I don't think anyone believes the annoyance rests with the force it takes to push a button, but rather that after downloading a game of considerable size you can't just navigate to it and start playing it. It's not really a big deal in the grand scheme of things, but I don't think it's an invalid complaint.[/QUOTE]
Agreed. Read my post again and imagine the :) I forgot to include at the end of my first sentence.

Pre ordered on Aug 21st and selected FSSS it said estimated ship date 8/31 and estimated delivery Sept 8th to 14th. Got an e-mail this afternoon - shiipped and will be here Monday. Score!

Well, mine arrived Friday as promised. I won't be able to set it up for a few days but I'm a little peeved that the PS3 box is smashed up on the corners (like, all the corners - WTF!?). The outer Amazon box is fine, so I don't think it happened upon shipment to me. We'll see early next week I guess.

As for them selling out (overall that is - Amazon may be a different story) - don't think so. I went back to Fry's again and the giant pyramid of them is still there and looked unchanged from yesterday.

OK, so I got my slim in, and can comment on this "it runs silently" business. First, it does NOT run silently. Either you have too much ambient noise to tell this, or your ears aren't as sensitive as others. I have an 80GB NON-MGS4 PS3 I switched from, and that was a 65nm process and was ALMOST silent. The fan noise is very low pitched on that unit, and is not distracting at all (unlike my crappy 80GB MGS4 PS3 with the 90nm CPU which ramped the fans up quite loud and I got rid of it because of the noise). Anyway, the slim has a more annoying pitch to its fan, which is a shame. I wouldn't call it loud or anything, but it's certainly more audible than my 80GB that it replaces.. Boo.

The Slim does have a little fan noise, but it's not bad at all. What I noticed that surprised me was how hot it seems to be running. After just playing some MP3 music for a couple of hours the top of the system feels very warm to the touch, and that's without a game even running. I thought the slim was supposed to run so much cooler and use so much less electricity?

[quote name='MIX_MASTER_ICE']The Slim does have a little fan noise, but it's not bad at all. What I noticed that surprised me was how hot it seems to be running. After just playing some MP3 music for a couple of hours the top of the system feels very warm to the touch, and that's without a game even running. I thought the slim was supposed to run so much cooler and use so much less electricity?[/QUOTE]

I agree...it gets very hot..

Try feeling the bottom of it after it's been on a while....that's fricken' hot! Especially towards the back, which is obvious it's going to be hotter back there, but still... I actually set mine up on a little 1/2" cd stand so some air can circulate under the bottom of the system. This doesn't seem like the best design to me.

The heat has to go somewhere. The unit is thinner, and relies more on the size of the chipset and lower power output to manage the heat. Hard to say if that wasn't part of the design or an actual design flaw.

[quote name='funsocaltiger']The problem is just that you cant have a "Power" button via IR.[/QUOTE]

What?!? Every television remote I've ever had has been IR and has had a power button?

Man, kinda bummed to hear about the fan noise from the PS3 Slim since that's what I'm planning on buying when my next paycheck comes through. It may seem silly, but it makes me wonder whether I should just go with the older 80GB model. I prefer the styling of the PS3 Fat and was planning to upgrade the hard drive anyway so the fact that the Slim runs hotter and sounds somewhat louder really makes me stop and think.

[quote name='no_exit']Agreed. Read my post again and imagine the :) I forgot to include at the end of my first sentence.[/QUOTE]

Oh, haha. It's amazing how much a smiley can change how something is interpreted online.

bread's done
Back