Amazon.com redirects to PriceGrabber.com - WTF?

[quote name='Curufinwe']Can some of you guys check if it's just me having this super weird issue with Amazon?

www.amazon.com

Hmm, it's happening in Chrome but not Explorer.

[EDIT] It's stopped doing it now.[/QUOTE]
Time for an anti-virus/anti-malware scan.

This is happening to me too after I visit this website. I type amazon.com and it redirects me to pricegrabber's site. I have to go in and either empty my cookies and restart or run a spyware program to clear it up and restart. Really pissing me off that I have to do this after I visit this site almost everytime to be able to go to amazon's website. It is happening to me in both explorer and firefox.

Anyone recommend something to block his ad's that are hijacking?

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='crunchberries']Do you have a Linksys router? And, if so, is it the WRT160N V3?[/QUOTE]

Yes, that is the router I have and it is version 3 also.

Thanks!

[quote name='crunchberries']Do you have a Linksys router? And, if so, is it the WRT160N V3?[/QUOTE]

Same thing with me, not with amazon though, some other sites do it as well. Is it a fixable issue, assuming this is a known problem?

[quote name='dmzauk']Yes, that is the router I have and it is version 3 also.

Thanks![/QUOTE]

Okay, then what I can tell you is that the redirects are not caused by malware. There's a not so known problem with the way the router redirects traffic through DNS. Unfortunately, there's not an official patch or anything you can use to fix the issue because Cisco seems to prefer to ignore the problem instead.

However, wbundrick, a user at the Cisco forums, came up with a temporary workaround (scroll down to the bottom. It's the second to last post on the page) that seems to be effective. I have personally tried his/her method and haven't had problems for months now.

[quote name='crunchberries']Okay, then what I can tell you is that the redirects are not caused by malware. There's a not so known problem with the way the router redirects traffic through DNS. Unfortunately, there's not an official patch or anything you can use to fix the issue because Cisco seems to prefer to ignore the problem instead.

However, wbundrick, a user at the Cisco forums, came up with a temporary workaround (scroll down to the bottom. It's the second to last post on the page) that seems to be effective. I have personally tried his/her method and haven't had problems for months now.[/QUOTE]

Thank you. I have made the change and will see if it helps. I am so tired of sometimes going to twitter and getting a blogging site or try to go to amazon and go to pricegrabber or go to xbox and go to msn news site. It get's aggravating running the spyware program or clearing out the cookies and restarting everytime. It has made me not even want to surf the web because of having to do all those steps many many times a day just to be able to see the site I wanted to in the first place.

Thanks again and will post back any issues or if it helped me.

[quote name='dmzauk']Thank you. I have made the change and will see if it helps. I am so tired of sometimes going to twitter and getting a blogging site or try to go to amazon and go to pricegrabber or go to xbox and go to msn news site. It gets aggravating running the spyware program or clearing out the cookies and restarting everytime. It has made me not even want to surf the web because of having to do all those steps many many times a day just to be able to see the site I wanted to in the first place.

Thanks again and will post back any issues or if it helped me.[/QUOTE]

Oh man, I went through all that too. If I hadn't found that fix, I would have probably thrown my whole computer out the window at some point.

And no problem. I really hope this works for you.

This shit was happening to me like 8 months ago when I got a new router. At first I wasn't sure it was the router, but then it happened to my wife's computer so I knew to focus all of my time on the router. I can't remember the last time I raged so badly about something.

I can't tell you how many times I wanted to sling the computer across the room. I had to get a new router from Linksys and they sent me V3 and I guess that is when all this mess started but I just did not put it all together. I am glad I found out I was not the only one having this issue. Crunchberries may have saved my computer from going upside the wall. I am shocked they have not fixed this issue, it has been going on for almost a year.

[quote name='dmzauk']I can't tell you how many times I wanted to sling the computer across the room. I had to get a new router from Linksys and they sent me V3 and I guess that is when all this mess started but I just did not put it all together. I am glad I found out I was not the only one having this issue. Crunchberries may have saved my computer from going upside the wall. I am shocked they have not fixed this issue, it has been going on for almost a year.[/QUOTE]

Yep, all V3 issues. I had a V2, it took a dump because of a bad firmware update (not my fault, I've done updates like it soooo many times), and they sent me this piece of dump... well... in comparison to the V2.

The forum with a work around fix crunchberries posted seems to be working fine for me. I also subscribed to that forum thread so if/when a fix is posted I would know about it sooner rather than later. Will post here when a fix is posted or a firmware update is posted.

[quote name='crunchberries']Okay, then what I can tell you is that the redirects are not caused by malware. There's a not so known problem with the way the router redirects traffic through DNS. Unfortunately, there's not an official patch or anything you can use to fix the issue because Cisco seems to prefer to ignore the problem instead.

However, wbundrick, a user at the Cisco forums, came up with a temporary workaround (scroll down to the bottom. It's the second to last post on the page) that seems to be effective. I have personally tried his/her method and haven't had problems for months now.[/QUOTE]

Any idea if there's an OS X version of the fix? I'm having the same problem but on a Mac.

[quote name='garfep']Any idea if there's an OS X version of the fix? I'm having the same problem but on a Mac.[/QUOTE]

I have not seen one but I do recall seeing some people talk about that on the mentioned forum. Maybe scroll through all the pages and check. I really did not pay to much attention to the Mac talk. Post something up on the mentioned forum and see if someone could help.

Also, ever since I made the temp fix everything has been working great.

They have updated the firmware finally. Just go to linksys's website and enter your model WRT160N V3 and look for the new version Ver.3.0.03 Build 3. Download that file and then upgrade your firmware through your router. Make sure you are hard wired to the router when you upgrade the firmware. That should fix any issue. If you had the temp fix in place I would guess you need to reverse that.

bread's done
Back