Amazon cuts PS3 price $40 - Currently $360

holy crap i though you meant they cut the price to 40 bucks : )

still way overpriced

something makes me think a price cut is coming or the ps3 is just selling so bad noone wants them LOL

[quote name='slidecage']holy crap i though you meant they cut the price to 40 bucks : )

still way overpriced[/QUOTE]

Come on, did you really think that? :)

Obviously a price drop would be great, though I have never felt like I overpaid for my PS3.

[quote name='slidecage']holy crap i though you meant they cut the price to 40 bucks : )

still way overpriced

something makes me think a price cut is coming or the ps3 is just selling so bad noone wants them LOL[/QUOTE]

lol, the title should be:
Amazon cuts PS3 price by $40

This is basically proof of an imminent price drop.

The mole for Ars Technicha has been right on things for the last few years, including the 360 price drop...

PS3 Slim for $300 near the end of this month is sooner and sooner becoming a reality

[quote name='RedGamer']This is basically proof of an imminent price drop.

The mole for Ars Technicha has been right on things for the last few years, including the 360 price drop...

PS3 Slim for $300 near the end of this month is sooner and sooner becoming a reality
1.gif
[/QUOTE]

I agree with that. I see a price drop on the horizon too.

still way overpriced

something makes me think a price cut is coming or the ps3 is just selling so bad noone wants them LOL[/QUOTE]

Yeah im glad i held off and even with a price cut dont want one now... CAG helped me get a killer deal on a 360 on black friday... :bouncy:

[quote name='RedGamer']This is basically proof of an imminent price drop.

PS3 Slim for $300 near the end of this month is sooner and sooner becoming a reality[/QUOTE]

My money is on a price cut and the Slim being announced at GameCon, August 18th with the actual Slim launching sometime early September. That will give some time for stores to sell PS3 phats to those consumers who can't wait and hopefully clear out inventory by the time the Slims arrive.

[quote name='therigger']I agree with that. I see a price drop on the horizon too.[/QUOTE]
Yep. Something's gonna go down in the next few weeks, I'd hold off to see what it is personally.

Sorry for the title slip up--new to this, and I'm just curious to hear some of your thoughts on whether to leap now to buy or wait a couple of more weeks. I've been waiting since the end of June to buy a PS3 after taking part in Amazon's trade-in deal to get additional credit off a new console.

[quote name='bvharris']Come on, did you really think that? :)

Obviously a price drop would be great, though I have never felt like I overpaid for my PS3.[/QUOTE]

well they did sell the xbox360 for 70 (if you took the dance pad off ) last thanksgiving : )

what sort of sucks is i got one and only played it for 2 weeks... Its been back in the box ever since (mostly just play handheld games)

what ever became of the TIVO features in the ps3... are those still coming out or have they been cancelled

I got mine for $280 by using the Sony Card $100 offer plus Gold Boxing it. If that was done now, it would be $242. I only use it as a BluRay player. I wish the web browser will support Flash 10 soon.

still way overpriced

I thought the same thing (except that it would be overpriced at $40). The title DOES sound that way, and while I didn't even start to believe it was true I nevertheless did a double-take on the title and wondered what the heck the OP was talking about until I read the thread.

You might also want to add that the Uncharted 160GB bundle is selling for $450 in the thread title also which is 50 off.

David Jaffe posted on his twitter that Sony was gonna drop it to $199.99, and I would tend to believe him. I'd hold off if you're in the market for a PS3.

I still don't consider this a great deal, since for $40 more, get it from Best Buy and get Killzone 2 and MGS 4.

Seriously for a PS3, I'm in if they give it to me for $300 with KZ2 and LBP. That's the only way I'd bite at this moment, especially with all the 360 goodness coming soon.

I'm always glad to see price drops instead of keeping the price the same while adding a bigger hard drive. Price is what keeps me from buying these consoles, not lack of features.

Hopefully this means the PS3 Slim is coming soon.

[quote name='chosen1s']I thought the same thing (except that it would be overpriced at $40). [/QUOTE]

overpriced at $40? Fail
You trying too hard to be a troll? Yes

[quote name='roymustang']David Jaffe posted on his twitter that Sony was gonna drop it to $199.99, and I would tend to believe him. I'd hold off if you're in the market for a PS3.[/QUOTE]

It was a joke ... a lame one, but still a joke so don't bank on it.

I am not a sony fanboy. Okay, that being said, I hate to hear the complaints about the PS3 being overpriced. It is not.

Lets compare the 60 GB 360 with the 80 GB PS3.

360: $299 MSRP + dvd player + $60/year XBOX LIVE + $100 Wireless Internet Adapter = $460 for ONE year if you take it online

EDIT*** Than the elite starts off at $399, the same as the PS3 80 GB

PS3: $399 MSRP + interior wifi + blu ray player + DVD player = one time fee of $399

That being said, I own both, and enjoy both. However, ever since my PS3 purchase in November of 2008, I have boughten 30 games for it (meaning I am really enjoying it, and that I have a massive backlog)

Both consoles have their positives and negatives, but I hate to hear people say that it is soo overpriced.

The 360 may have started better, but sadly for Microsoft and the 360s avid followers the PS3 looks to take the cake again this year for the better game lineup.

[quote name='darkclawsofchaos']lol, the title should be:
Amazon cuts PS3 price by $40[/QUOTE]

That's what it already says. Are you guys all stupid or something? The "by" is implied. "Amazon cuts PS3 price $40," is completely acceptable. Learn English before trying to correct people.

We have until 8-31-09 to take advantage of the AMAZON extra $75 trade in from a few weeks ago. Hopefully the PS3 price drops more before then, or else I'll have to pay whatever Amazon says.

Its a stupid argument. Personally I wouldnt even consider a 360 at any price so there was no alternative to the ps3 for me. I dont tolerate substandard hardware or support companies that put it out. Especially when they flip off the consumer by lying for years about the problems and then making no major effort to fix the problem at a hardware level for years. Yeah I'm going to buy that console Microsoft hold your freaking breath you chowderheads.

[quote name='au7oma7ic']I am not a sony fanboy. Okay, that being said, I hate to hear the complaints about the PS3 being overpriced. It is not.

360: $299 MSRP + dvd player + $60/year XBOX LIVE + $100 Wireless Internet Adapter = $460 for ONE year if you take it online

PS3: $399 MSRP + interior wifi + blu ray player + DVD player = one time fee of $399

That being said, I own both, and enjoy both. However, ever since my PS3 purchase in November of 2008, I have boughten 30 games for it (meaning I am really enjoying it, and that I have a massive backlog)

Both consoles have their positives and negatives, but I hate to hear people say that it is soo overpriced.

The 360 may have started better, but sadly for Microsoft and the 360s avid followers the PS3 looks to take the cake again this year for the better game lineup.[/QUOTE]

Honestly, I just think all those prices are too much no matter what they give you. With extra controllers, etc you're talking half a grand just for the system. Now, I get that some people have that kind of money to throw around, but for either system, I just can't fault anybody for complaining that it's too expensive. After all, the value of an item is determined by the person who is going to be using it - not how much some other "like item" costs.

[quote name='chosen1s']Honestly, I just think all those prices are too much no matter what they give you. With extra controllers, etc you're talking half a grand just for the system. Now, I get that some people have that kind of money to throw around, but for either system, I just can't fault anybody for complaining that it's too expensive. After all, the value of an item is determined by the person who is going to be using it - not how much some other "like item" costs.[/QUOTE]

Agree with your assessment on personal determination of an item's value. Arguments on the perceived "value" for any system are subjective and open to endless, tedious, circular debates. Let's stick to finding deals on this site, please. We're all here to help each other save a few dollars, regardless of system I would hope. Save the fanboy stuff for n4g.

[quote name='roymustang']David Jaffe posted on his twitter that Sony was gonna drop it to $199.99, and I would tend to believe him. I'd hold off if you're in the market for a PS3.[/QUOTE]

Ha!

Although if that really happened I would most definitely pick one up.

[quote name='farfus']Yeah im glad i held off and even with a price cut dont want one now... CAG helped me get a killer deal on a 360 on black friday... :bouncy:[/QUOTE]

Yet you are in a topic that clearly has PS3 in the title, enjoy your countless RRODs and friendship with MS costumer service.

I believe that he also posted after that, "keeding," so $199 is a little low right now, but there are rumors of a 100 dollar price drop in time for Madden 10, so I would wait a little longer

[quote name='au7oma7ic']I am not a sony fanboy. Okay, that being said, I hate to hear the complaints about the PS3 being overpriced. It is not.

PS3: $399 MSRP + interior wifi + blu ray player + DVD player = one time fee of $399[/QUOTE]

People have been giving this argument ever since the PS3 came out. But guess what? I didn't ask for any of that extra shit. I didn't ask to have to pay for a Blu-ray player if I want to play PS3 games, and I'm certainly never going to buy a 360 Wifi adapter (cable ethernet is better anyway).

[quote name='ninja dog']lol nuthin gud toplay on it horrible system worse than gamecube[/QUOTE]

Wow. See, that's just trolling (bad grammar and spelling included). Anyways, even though I just bought a ps3 using the amazon promo this is certainly great news. My 360 just RROD and hopefully Microsoft does something to counter the PS3's price drop. I'd definitely jump at at a cheap(er) jasper or a decent bundle.

newegg also has it for $360, i posted it a couple of days ago, come on sony drop that price. i got $300 with your names on it.

[quote name='Vegan']People have been giving this argument ever since the PS3 came out. But guess what? I didn't ask for any of that extra shit. I didn't ask to have to pay for a Blu-ray player if I want to play PS3 games, and I'm certainly never going to buy a 360 Wifi adapter (cable ethernet is better anyway).[/QUOTE]

Then don't buy it, it's that simple. I'm pretty sure the first round of 360 buyers didn't "ask" to have their systems be complete pieces of shit (but you should know what you're getting into at any time that you're paying Microsoft for something), though later buyers definitely should have been aware of this.

I happen to have just bought a 360 (turns out my buddy is the killer app for that platform and I want to play FIFA online with him) but have had a 60GB PS3 for 2 years that I paid $400 for. Now that I have the 360 on the way (and I do feel dirty about buying something from Microsoft) I've been looking around for some games to pick up for it and there's basically nothing. It's really kind of amazing how big the deficit is on exclusive titles. I thought maybe I was just being a PS3 fanboy before, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

If cost is your only deciding factor and you don't care about exclusive games, a semi-comparable 360 costs $300 for a much smaller hard drive and you have to pay $50/year just to play online. Whether or not you want WiFi or the Blu-Ray player or whatever is irrelevant. In two years you're paying the same for the hardware and will likely have to RMA the 360 at least once in that time. Arguing that the PS3 is over-priced at $400 while buying a 360 for $300 and paying for xbox live is not only disingenious but moronic. Plus on top of that you do get WiFi if you at some point want or need it and you do get the high-definition disc player, which unless you're pirating all of your video content or so blind that you can barely see the television anyway you'll eventually want to have. Because DVDs look pretty crap on any decent HDTV.

Maybe you just like xbox better, that's fine. But it isn't cheaper. Total cost of ownership (TCO) is actually higher on 360 and you're missing out on the vastly superior PS3 exclusive line-up. Sad day for you, but if you're going to cry about the price because you want one go do it to your mom, maybe she'll give you the money if you cry enough. But maybe not, since she already bought you that 360 that you don't play.

[quote name='hpv']
Now that I have the 360 on the way (and I do feel dirty about buying something from Microsoft) I've been looking around for some games to pick up for it and there's basically nothing. It's really kind of amazing how big the deficit is on exclusive titles. I thought maybe I was just being a PS3 fanboy before, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

If cost is your only deciding factor and you don't care about exclusive games, a semi-comparable 360 costs $300 for a much smaller hard drive and you have to pay $50/year just to play online. Whether or not you want WiFi or the Blu-Ray player or whatever is irrelevant. In two years you're paying the same for the hardware and will likely have to RMA the 360 at least once in that time. Arguing that the PS3 is over-priced at $400 while buying a 360 for $300 and paying for xbox live is not only disingenious but moronic. Plus on top of that you do get WiFi if you at some point want or need it and you do get the high-definition disc player, which unless you're pirating all of your video content or so blind that you can barely see the television anyway you'll eventually want to have. Because DVDs look pretty crap on any decent HDTV.[/QUOTE]

:applause: Couldn't have said it better myself, my 360 sits and waits for something good or even decent to come out, while my PS3 is getting lots of play time. Hell I cant even sell the 360 and I have been trying for months to get rid of the thing.

This thread is starting to become a classic PS3 vs. 360 thread, which is never productive and produces pages of posts without any real discussion of the deal. It's all well and good for us to be throwing around our e-winkies for the Corporate Overlords but this is the wrong forum to be doing so. (BTW -- PS3 4 TEH WIN! w00t!!!)

I suggest that someone consolidate all the PS3 deals (Dell.com, Amazon, NewEgg, etc) into one thread as I suspect such deals will continue to increase in frequency until such date that Sony announces the PS3 Slim and/or the much-fabled price drop.

SO THERE!

and PS3 4 TEH WIN! w00t!!!

[quote name='tvk']Sorry for the title slip up--new to this, and I'm just curious to hear some of your thoughts on whether to leap now to buy or wait a couple of more weeks. I've been waiting since the end of June to buy a PS3 after taking part in Amazon's trade-in deal to get additional credit off a new console.[/QUOTE]

Wait...Any price drop should be at least $50 or more based on Sony's past history on $200+ price points and if it is going to happen, the odds are it will be in the first half of the month, later in Aug people are more focused on vacations and getting kids ready for back to school that a price drop would get less attention by the mass public.

[quote name='wwe101']newegg also has it for $360, i posted it a couple of days ago, come on sony drop that price. i got $300 with your names on it.[/QUOTE]
same here, Killzone 2 just keeps calling me:bouncy:

[quote name='ShadowHero10']same here, Killzone 2 just keeps calling me:bouncy:[/QUOTE]

mgs4/modern warfare 2 keeps callin me to

I've been in the market for a ps3 for several months now, so I'm just waiting to be pushed over the edge one more time lol

bread's done
Back