Amazon DOTD 01/04/10 - Xbox 360 Wireless Adapter A/B/G/N - $75

iNCREDiPiNOY

CAGiversary!
Feedback
216 (100%)
:360: Xbox 360 Wireless Network Adapter A/B/G & N Networks (Microsoft Software)

List Price: $99.99
Your Price: $74.99
You Saved: $25.00 (25% off)

• Dual band 5 GHz and 2.4 GHz Wireless A/B/G home network compatible
  • Compact, high-performance design
  • Powered by Xbox 360 to eliminate adapter clutter
  • Windows Vista Media Center compatible
  • Streams photos and music from Microsoft Windows XP and recorded TV, movies, and videos from your Microsoft Windows XP Media Center - based PC
http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-360-Wire..._m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1DKRCW6F8RKB4XZNDDA9

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Game_Dude_3']No built in wireless FTL[/QUOTE]

Indeed, it's much better to build in a rapidly evolving technology like wireless because it's not like anything is ever going to succeed 802.11g.

For the non-fanboys:
Anybody changed from the previous a/b/g adapter to this one and noticed any performance or range improvements?

[quote name='Game_Dude_3']No built in wireless FTL[/QUOTE]

No! It's about "consumer choice". Microsoft is giving you a choice, because they respect you! :roll:

Thanks OP, but this thing is still way overpriced. Pity, because I could totally use one. :cry:

Luckily I got my ABG adapter for free even before I got my 360. I would never have paid full price for it, EVER. But it is nifty to have, especially when you take your HDD to a friends place that doesn't have internet, all you have to do is catch a hint of a signal to use your content.

But yea, when it comes down to it, i'd rather not pay for built in wireless. Next gen, yes there is no excuse not to have it, but not yet.

[quote name='gantt']
For the non-fanboys:
Anybody changed from the previous a/b/g adapter to this one and noticed any performance or range improvements?[/QUOTE]

I swapped a while back to this adapter from a/b/g and it was a night and day difference. Of course ymmv but in my particular situation (1 floor below and about 150ft from the wireless AP) it really works much much better.

I love my 360 but no built in wifi and not even including play and charge kit makes PS3 much better deal. Yes you need to get a headset for PS3 but that is way cheaper than wifi+charge kit. And PS3 can play blu-ray. 360 really needs a price cut or include features like wifi and charge kit.

[quote name='laaj']I love my 360 but no built in wifi and not even including play and charge kit makes PS3 much better deal. Yes you need to get a headset for PS3 but that is way cheaper than wifi+charge kit. And PS3 can play blu-ray. 360 really needs a price cut or include features like wifi and charge kit.[/QUOTE]
Agreed. However as long as there are suckers that are willing to buy those additional items, MS has no reason to change anything. $100 (or even $75) for an adapter that should have been built-in is highway robbery.

[quote name='unforeseen']Ordered it over the weekend for $79.99. Oh well....[/QUOTE]

I did too, but was able to cancel and re-purchase since it had not shipped yet. Not sure if it is worth it to you or not.

[quote name='brux']I did too, but was able to cancel and re-purchase since it had not shipped yet. Not sure if it is worth it to you or not.[/QUOTE]

Isn't $79.99 the cost of the original one (A/B/G), which is now $71.99, while the newer adapter (A/B/G & N), which was $99.99, is now $74.99?

~HotShotX

It's bad enough they don't include wireless in the 360s by now. It's worse they WAY overcharge for these. The mark-up must be 100% + at least.

Good deal if you need the N network stuff.

Still not as good as that $40 Sears deal on the non-N version a few weeks back though :D Glad I was able to snag that one.

Edit: wow, these forums really are screwed up. FoxHoundADAM's post was already there when I posted this, yet somehow it's before his -_-

[quote name='sherisdoppel']I just don't understand why such adapter costs so much. This just lets you do wireless connection for XBL, right?[/QUOTE]

I was looking at a similar product that basically does the same thing except doesn't use the Xbox for power and it was like $60. $75 for this is actually quite reasonable.

[quote name='sherisdoppel']I just don't understand why such adapter costs so much.[/QUOTE]

Because Microsoft enjoys raping the customer on accessories. See also drive, hard and cable, HDMI.

[quote name='KaneRobot']Because Microsoft enjoys raping the customer on accessories. See also drive, hard and cable, HDMI.[/QUOTE]

Well, honestly, they could have done what Sony did, and included it all in every console, charged $600, and pissed everyone off. But, not everyone uses wireless, 120GB HDs, or HDMI.

Instead they chose to forego all of that selected something everyone could enjoy: RROD.

~HotShotX

[quote name='freshzen']I was looking at a similar product that basically does the same thing except doesn't use the Xbox for power and it was like $60. $75 for this is actually quite reasonable.[/QUOTE]
There are other options. I just bought a small wireless bridge from newegg for ~35 or so. It takes a little more set up to go this route but if you are familiar with setting up a wireless router you can do it fairly easily.

If any of you are wondering MS doesn't make as much profit by selling these so high. Basically the high price is a barrier to entry because MS doesn't want many people using wireless connections on XBL.

If you don't believe me us simple logic. Currently MS is selling wireless adapters to about 5% (by my liberal estimate) of it's install base, and assuming the adapter cost $20 to make that would be $60 profit. Meaning they make about $250 on every 100 users (assuming the 5% is correct). Dropping the price down to $40 would easily see an increase of users to 25% (a very conservative estimate), and see $20 profit per unit sold. Under this pricing MS would be looking to make $500 on every 100 users.

So why does MS not want to profit from wifi adapters? Anybody that's worked in networking can tell you wifi connections can vary in quality dramatically. There are a lot of factors that can affect a wifi connection, and it's not something normal consumers would understand. MS basically doesn't want a large portion of it's XBL user base possibly having a questionable wifi connection that can drop them because their roommate wanted a microwave burrito. To MS the quality of XBL makes them a higher profit than wifi network adapters.

[quote name='jrhawk42']If any of you are wondering MS doesn't make as much profit by selling these so high. Basically the high price is a barrier to entry because MS doesn't want many people using wireless connections on XBL.

If you don't believe me us simple logic. Currently MS is selling wireless adapters to about 5% (by my liberal estimate) of it's install base, and assuming the adapter cost $20 to make that would be $60 profit. Meaning they make about $250 on every 100 users (assuming the 5% is correct). Dropping the price down to $40 would easily see an increase of users to 25% (a very conservative estimate), and see $20 profit per unit sold. Under this pricing MS would be looking to make $500 on every 100 users.

So why does MS not want to profit from wifi adapters? Anybody that's worked in networking can tell you wifi connections can vary in quality dramatically. There are a lot of factors that can affect a wifi connection, and it's not something normal consumers would understand. MS basically doesn't want a large portion of it's XBL user base possibly having a questionable wifi connection that can drop them because their roommate wanted a microwave burrito. To MS the quality of XBL makes them a higher profit than wifi network adapters.[/QUOTE]

I never thought of it that way, but that makes sense. Hopefully next gen wifi will be so good it won't matter. But it does suck to have the other two systems come with it built-in and have to pay $75 for it...

[quote name='HotShotX']Well, honestly, they could have done what Sony did, and included it all in every console, charged $600, and pissed everyone off. But, not everyone uses wireless, 120GB HDs, or HDMI.

Instead they chose to forego all of that selected something everyone could enjoy: RROD.

~HotShotX[/QUOTE]

The PS3 was not $600 because it has Wireless. Wii has wireless - it's $250. Hell, DS has wireless, that's down to $100 I think. PS3 was $600 because of Bluray, no other reason (well, other than maybe Sony being arrogant and believing they could charge that much, no problem - i.e. see PSP Go)

As much as I like my 360, I'm going to indeed go with "greed" on this one. It's the same reason their hard drives are a ripoff ($90 for the 60gb is about the cheapest you can get without getting a refurbished model - I can buy a several Tetrabytes PC hard drive for that!)

Edit: jrhawk42's post also makes sense. It still comes down to what is most profitable though ;)

[quote name='jrhawk42']If any of you are wondering MS doesn't make as much profit by selling these so high. Basically the high price is a barrier to entry because MS doesn't want many people using wireless connections on XBL.

So why does MS not want to profit from wifi adapters? Anybody that's worked in networking can tell you wifi connections can vary in quality dramatically. There are a lot of factors that can affect a wifi connection, and it's not something normal consumers would understand. MS basically doesn't want a large portion of it's XBL user base possibly having a questionable wifi connection that can drop them because their roommate wanted a microwave burrito. To MS the quality of XBL makes them a higher profit than wifi network adapters.[/QUOTE]

Wow, very nice way of thinking about it all. I'm very impressed that someone actually went and thought this one out lol.

[quote name='FoxHoundADAM']There are other options. I just bought a small wireless bridge from newegg for ~35 or so. It takes a little more set up to go this route but if you are familiar with setting up a wireless router you can do it fairly easily.[/QUOTE]

Hook a CAG up with a link? I've been considering using the laptop technique but a cheap bridge sounds good.

[quote name='Lord_Kefka']Hook a CAG up with a link? I've been considering using the laptop technique but a cheap bridge sounds good.[/QUOTE]
I bought the edimax wireless bridge, it took some time to work the bugs out but was relatively easy to set up once I figured out what I was doing wrong:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817201523

This D-Link was cheaper before but is another option:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...&cm_re=wireless_bridge-_-33-127-146-_-Product

Also looked at;
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833180035

The review for each have shown other people have had good luck with these for their 360's as well. I'm sure there are other options as well, these are just the ones I was considering.

FYI, I was using the laptop setup prior to this but it drained the battery so quickly and I didn't want a mess of stuff on the floor and this brige has worked out well. Another benefit is that any device can now be used on this as well should you desire. For example my TV has internet capabilities so I can connect it to the bridge and use it if I so wish.

paddlefoot and FoxHoundADAM have the right idea. That wireless adapter doesn't seem like much of a deal at half the price.

The only downside of the built in PS3 wireless at this late stage would be in the throughput, but that would have happened to anything built in to a system over a course of several years and always newer/faster communications coming out. Unless newer PS3s have N capabilities? Don't think so, but would be a niche marketing point for Sony and techies.

As far as the wireless thing goes, I decided to go 5 ghz N wireless backbone and bought two of these as bridges:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833122250

and this for a router:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...3122273&cm_re=wndr3300-_-33-122-273-_-Product

Occasionally there will be codes to get items like this from Newegg for cheaper via their newsletter, well worth signing up if you are a techie/like to tinker with PC parts.

Everything wireless in my house talks 5 ghz N right now, but their is also a 2.4ghz G network signal off that router as well too. My wife's friend brought over her G laptop and it took a few password entries to connect, but it did. The Netgear firmware works just fine on the above equipment, no need to go Tomato/DDwrt. Also WPA2-AE5 works great on the above as well for those interested.

These are FAST, albeit the range for top speed in my house is a bit shorter than the range for top speed of G was, but still bigger than my house is anyways LOL.

IF amazon is any indication, the Wireless adapters have sold to more than 5% of the install base. Id bargain that your estimate is a very CONSERVATIVE one and not a liberal one. All of MS products for the 360 are expensive. Do they charge $150 for a measly 120gb HD because they don't want people downloading tons of XBLA games, or because they enjoy having people have large load times or noises. The PSN suffers from very little lag as does the 360. Wireless connections would have very little detriment to their xbox live sales.

[quote name='brux']I did too, but was able to cancel and re-purchase since it had not shipped yet. Not sure if it is worth it to you or not.[/QUOTE]

The thing is that I have Amazon Prime and anything I purchase from them gets into the "processing" stage a few minutes after I place the order. Hence, the system does not let me cancel the order. You win some, you lose with Amazon, especially aftet they got rid of their price adjustment policy.

[quote name='godsantagonist']is this is dual-band n? if so, you guys are not comparing apples to apples.[/QUOTE]

Yes:
Dual band performance
5GHz: 1x2 (802.11a & 802.11n)
2.4GHz: 2x2
2(Tx)x 2(Rx)
(Xbox.com)

[quote name='laaj']I love my 360 but no built in wifi and not even including play and charge kit makes PS3 much better deal.[/QUOTE]

MS should give you a discount if you bought one bundled with a Play & Charge kit. IME they die quickly; rechargeable AAs are more reliable and cheaper.

Another benefit to not building in WiFi is that you can put the adapter/antenna in a different location. Often consoles are in entertainment centers or other places where the reception isn't optimal.

[quote name='handsomepete']I swapped a while back to this adapter from a/b/g and it was a night and day difference. Of course ymmv but in my particular situation (1 floor below and about 150ft from the wireless AP) it really works much much better.[/QUOTE]

Thanks. I'm on the same floor and about 30 feet (but no line-of-sight), so perhaps the benefit would be less for me.

Alternatives for g only (eg. Belkin, Netgear g bridges) are occasionally available for $20-30.

For around this price one can also get a Buffalo N-bridge that includes a 4-port switch, so you can connect multiple devices (e.g. Tivo, Blu-ray, TV).

[quote name='loomis1975']The only downside of the built in PS3 wireless at this late stage would be in the throughput, but that would have happened to anything built in to a system over a course of several years and always newer/faster communications coming out. Unless newer PS3s have N capabilities? Don't think so, but would be a niche marketing point for Sony and techies.
[/QUOTE]

There is no downside. Sony can always make N adapter (if there is demand) just like Microsoft.

[quote name='unforeseen']The thing is that I have Amazon Prime and anything I purchase from them gets into the "processing" stage a few minutes after I place the order. Hence, the system does not let me cancel the order. You win some, you lose with Amazon, especially aftet they got rid of their price adjustment policy.[/QUOTE]

You can tell your UPS/Fedex guy to return the package back to sender. That is what I do when I find a better deal somewhere else after ordering from Amazon. And no Amazon doesn't mind when you return things to them like that. They have yet to complain to me about it for last 5 years but I don't usually use it much though. Only once in 2-3 months.

[quote name='laaj']You can tell your UPS/Fedex guy to return the package back to sender. That is what I do when I find a better deal somewhere else after ordering from Amazon. And no Amazon doesn't mind when you return things to them like that. They have yet to complain to me about it for last 5 years but I don't usually use it much though. Only once in 2-3 months.[/QUOTE]

Actually they will mind if you over do it as they are paying for shipping. Once or twice should be okay.

[quote name='sherisdoppel']I just don't understand why such adapter costs so much. This just lets you do wireless connection for XBL, right?[/QUOTE]

I think it's 11a support. Adapters that do 11a are considerably more expensive than non 11a devices and it's for nothing because there's so few 11a supporting routers in the first place.

If getting this isn't as reliable as wired, then whats the longest draw on a cable you can get before your hurting your connection?

[quote name='Chris249942']IF amazon is any indication, the Wireless adapters have sold to more than 5% of the install base. Id bargain that your estimate is a very CONSERVATIVE one and not a liberal one. All of MS products for the 360 are expensive. Do they charge $150 for a measly 120gb HD because they don't want people downloading tons of XBLA games, or because they enjoy having people have large load times or noises. The PSN suffers from very little lag as does the 360. Wireless connections would have very little detriment to their xbox live sales.[/QUOTE]

It's an anti-piracy method... though w/ the XBL crackdown it's less off an issue now days.

PSN having "very little lag" is a subjective argument. Like I said w/ wifi some people have no problems, and some people have nothing but problems. I'm pretty sure MS has much better resources on this than either of us, and know what's best for the XBL community. I've had many doubts about XBL before, and the more I learn the more I realize they are really far ahead of the curve as far as building a community. It's not just the technology either, the economics, the psychology, the business plan behind the whole thing is really impressive.

You may end up saving some money working to set up a wireless bridge, though it's not as easy as the wireless adapter. You're paying more money for the convenience of the wireless adapter, as not everyone is skilled enough to set up a bridge and hook it into their network.

My 32bits,

I have two of these
http://www.trendnet.com/products/proddetail.asp?prod=155_TEW-671BR&cat=41

I have on in the living room where I connect my TV, Xbox, Blueray and PS3 via cat5e wire and I bridge it wirelessly via WDS to the second one. WDS is built in so no WRT software to configure etc, etc. and their tech support although based in India actually has a clue and can get you up in running in a few minutes. You can find them for between $77 and $86.

[quote name='gantt']MS should give you a discount if you bought one bundled with a Play & Charge kit. IME they die quickly; rechargeable AAs are more reliable and cheaper.[/QUOTE]

Really? I've had mine for over 3 years now and it's still working fine. Rechargable batteries are a pain in the ass (and I wouldn't say cheaper - the reliable ones are of comparable price to the Play & Charge Kit). This I can just plug the controller directly into my PC - easy. Plus you have the option of playing wired if you are really desperate.

Personally I wish Wii had a similar (official) option. Peeling off that rubber grip thing to replace the batteries (which die fast) is a real pain.

[quote name='IronsideGrunt']If getting this isn't as reliable as wired, then whats the longest draw on a cable you can get before your hurting your connection?[/QUOTE]

I think its 100 meters (328 feet). Not positive though.

bread's done
Back