Amazon DotD 1/1 - Final Fantasy Origins, PS1 $12

[quote name='zephie']This is how they kick off the new year? I was expecting more.[/quote]

our christmas present was worse :roll:

Can someone post a link to the page where you can click on the box to find the deal. I am tired of having to wait until its posted to be disappointed.

[quote name='flames_of_chaos']I wasn't expecting a PSone game but I still prefer the GBA version.[/QUOTE]
or better yet, the psp version

I got it, even though I could just burn it to a cd for my ps2, or dl the rom in 2 minutes...

sigh. i think im a collection fiend

[quote name='62t']or better yet, the psp version[/quote] Are both FF I and FF II PSP the better version to own than FF I & II GBA? I still have yet to try FF I and II.

If Amazon's doing PSone games now, maybe they can dig up some rare Atlus RPGs. Now THAT would be a deal of the day! /end wishful thinking/

Not sure why some of you are complaining. These are classics. The only real reason not to buy this now is because of the Playstation Portable versions...though those are going to cost you more (or of course if you already own these).

This is a pretty solid Dotd. We've had absolutely horrible ones that didn't get this much complaining.

And just the fact that Amazon CARRIES a lot of the (slightly older) Final Fantasy games is pretty cool.

Great game and I prefer it over the GBA and PSP versions. The portable versions are a cakewalk, this one at least offers the option of playing it with the original difficulty from the NES versions.

[quote name='Halo05']Great game and I prefer it over the GBA and PSP versions. The portable versions are a cakewalk, this one at least offer the option of playing it with the original difficulty from the NES versions.[/quote]

I'm really torn on getting this. I have the GBA version of FFI which I play on my DS, but I don't have FFII. As much as I love my DS it gets kind of hard staring at that little screen for long roleplaying session. Also, I'm curious about seeing the new cut scenes that were added to the PSOne version. Are the cutscenes fairly frequent and would they increase how much you understand the story or enjoy the game?

They're not very frequent. It's been awhile since I beat the PSOne versions but they might have been just at the beginning and end of the game in Final Fantasy. FF2 might have had more but I couldn't get into the whole insane levelling up system.

There aren't many cut scenes, though the music is of course better. I'd get that Playstation one or Portable versions over the Gameboy ones.

Don't know if they made FF2's difficulty easier in the newer versions too or not. I found an enemy in an occupied town in FF2 (for the Playstation) that I could keep fighting over and over to really boost my stats, which made the game not too bad at all. Spent an hour or two just fighting the same enemy over and over :D

Jeremy Parish recently rated all the FF games, as part of 1UP's FF 20th anniversary celebration.
http://www.1up.com/do/feature?cId=3164719
He gave Origins a thumbs-up on the second page:
The third PS1-based Final Fantasy compilation is, curiously enough, the only one still worth the trouble. Collecting the first two chapters of the series in newly upgraded forms, the games in question are total remakes that play far more smoothly than the titles in Anthology and Chronicles. And the version of FFI included in Origins is the definitive version of the game, sporting nice graphics and lush music -- and a difficulty curve that hasn't been completely defanged.

He gives a thumbs-down to the GBA and PSP versions of FFI & II, BTW.

[quote name='eau']Are both FF I and FF II PSP the better version to own than FF I & II GBA? I still have yet to try FF I and II.[/quote]

On GBA people prefer it because it's portable... the PSX version has brand new CGI cinematics not on the GBA one though. Not sure about the PSP versions, but you have to buy both of those seperate, thus being a complete rip-off.

I don't know about the PSP versions, but the GBA version of FF1 is terrible since they gutted the difficulty and changed a bunch of things. The bonus dungeon is kinda neat though.

Origins still has the best port of FF1.

They added a bunch of cutscenes to Chrono Trigger and made it easier to keep track of the endings you've seen. FF IV got re-translated and has the original Japanese difficulty. In both cases, you no longer have to worry about the battery in the cartridge going dead and erasing hours of work. I'd say that's a small price to pay for some minor sound omissions and load times.

[quote name='Halo05']They added a bunch of cutscenes to Chrono Trigger and made it easier to keep track of the endings you've seen. FF IV got re-translated and has the original Japanese difficulty. In both cases, you no longer have to worry about the battery in the cartridge going dead and erasing hours of work. I'd say that's a small price to pay for some minor sound omissions and load times.[/quote]but it's load times every time you bring up a menu. And heaven knows you never need to do that in an RPG.

The PS1 port of Chrono Trigger is practically unplayable if you've spent any time with the SNES version. Why can't that game get a decent reissue?

[quote name='Wolfpup']Not sure why some of you are complaining.

And just the fact that Amazon CARRIES a lot of the (slightly older) Final Fantasy games is pretty cool.[/quote]

I think that's it - it's Amazon's subtle way of offering gamers a discount on what many out of the know consider to be an OOP RPG, and to raise awareness of their PS1 library's existence.

I have them all in various formats...but I think they should just release some mega FF 1 - 12 (minus 11) compilation for PS3, I be they could sell it for $99 and alot of people would buy it, even with the original FFVII and not a re-done one...

of course part of me also thinks they will just keep re-doing the graphics and releasing them for the DS/other handheld instead.....

[quote name='daroga']but it's load times every time you bring up a menu. And heaven knows you never need to do that in an RPG.

The PS1 port of Chrono Trigger is practically unplayable if you've spent any time with the SNES version. Why can't that game get a decent reissue?[/QUOTE]

I haven't played my Playstation copy of Chrono Trigger, but I can say for sure the other ports work just fine. Plus, we're all playing on Playstation 2s and 3s now anyway, that offer faster load times if there was an issue to begin with.

I disliked the original difficulty on FF4. What it really meant is the game got a lot "longer" and had a lot less strategy because you have to level up for hours all the time so you can overwhelm bosses with raw power. The original American release you hardly ever had to level up, and you could fight bosses by figuring out some interesting strategy.

I liked the new difficulty in the Playstation Portable Final Fantasy. Not necessarily better or worse, but it was probably more fun for someone who's already played the original NES version a million times, and just wants to revisit it.

bread's done
Back