Amazon DOTD 9/23: Champions Online [PC] $30

Haven't played an MMO in a long time (and I have never touched WoW). This looks interesting to me, though. Any feedback from you CaGers?

Supposedly the pvp is absolutely terrible.

So if youre interested in pvp id run in terror from it.

Personally I think this one is going to be 29.99 by christmas anyway, and that warhammer is a far better deal for a cheap mmo .

I looked up some info about this game cause it looked kinda cool, but they want $29.98 for the game and $14.99 a month just to play it? Wow, no thanks.

[quote name='gettinmoney662']I looked up some info about this game cause it looked kinda cool, but they want $29.98 for the game and $14.99 a month just to play it? Wow, no thanks.[/QUOTE]

Yep, this game is an MMO.

[quote name='Katslover']Yep, this game is an MMO.[/QUOTE]

I could understand if the game was free and they charged a monthly fee, but both? These type of games are completely against what I see most people on here complaining about. Are they really that fun to be spending that much money on?

It's actually been pretty fun so far, but the game is going through some early growing pains as most MMOs tend to do. My only complaint is that the game was presented as more of a casual MMO at first, but now seems to be quickly moving towards placating the hardcore players only. Leveling is a lot slower and powers are constantly being rebalanced to a point where they are creating more bugs than solutions.

It's supposed to be enjoyable as far as MMO's go, but here's two key things to remember:

1) reaping any type of rewarding game time requires LOTS of time
2) it's not WoW
3) the only game that will ever compare to WoW is the [unannounced] WoW 2

[quote name='gettinmoney662']I could understand if the game was free and they charged a monthly fee, but both? These type of games are completely against what I see most people on here complaining about. Are they really that fun to be spending that much money on?[/QUOTE]

Welcome to 1997? Anyway, yeah, apparently they pulled a big fat bait-and-switch on release day. Not to mention the fact that who really fucking cares with both a DC and Marvel version coming. WoW isn't even CLOSE to the best MMO. It is, however, one of the easiest and most casual, thus the popularity. You can hit the level cap in weeks (hell, maybe even a week) and there is no endgame. There is no denying the ease of play though. You never have to worry about anything, other than jackass players, for the most part.

After getting up into the low-30's post release, i can say that the game's starting to feel like a more polished version of CoX. Sure the game still has a long way to go, but eventually they're bound to start fixing some of their game-breaking mistakes.

I mean honestly. How does it slip past devs to forget to allocated Strength to your melee damage?

[quote name='Katslover']Yep, this game is an MMO.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='mietha']Welcome to 1997?[/QUOTE]

Both of these made me laugh. The poster that prompted these had the same thoughts I did--about 50 MMO's ago.

Don't worry if you wait long enough it will be cheap--right before they shut it down. That reminds me, I need to get Conan up and going before they shut it down since I got both the collector's edition and numerous time cards cheap.

Played the open beta, and my advice for this MMO is the same for every other one I've played.

Wait 6 months after release. It will be a better game.

Looked pretty cool, I read the review on ign. He mentioned a pretty broken pvp system and a game that, at the time, was catering more to solo play. Which I think is nice, your character is actually able to do stuff alone, but that it was almost too solo play for a game you're paying monthly to play with other people in the first place.

I was interested in it because I've never played any of the super hero mmo's, would love to create my own character, but not playing an mmo is a good step forward to basically getting everything else done in life. They suck up so much time..

[quote name='jalu6']Played the open beta, and my advice for this MMO is the same for every other one I've played.

Wait 6 months after release. It will be a better game.[/QUOTE]

This. The PvP is awful, and the end-game is practically non-existent.

The $14.95 a month is really only good if you play City of Heroes already but even then... why do they charge the same amount as WoW when it's not even half as good?

[quote name='sadunk']The $14.95 a month is really only good if you play City of Heroes already but even then... why do they charge the same amount as WoW when it's not even half as good?[/QUOTE]

This.

Everyone thinks they have to charge $15/mo now even if they're not worth it, and yes I lump WoW into that bit, frankly, having recently quit.

I wouldn't mind a more reasonable sub, it also helps for those of us busy and with lives not feel the pinch when we don't play it for long stretches. The one-size-one-price-fits-all model gets old.

When I heard City of Heroes had retail cost, subscription @$15, microtransactions (WoW does too if you're unfortunate enough to want/need to change servers and/or factions) and future expansions, AND is lacking, as hopeful as I originally was, it was am easy pass.

I have Champions Online, it's a great game if you are into super heroes (cov/coh)
151l1259.jpg

[quote name='G-Nitro']I played in the Open Beta and I could not find much enjoyment out of it. I had high hopes for it as well.
iy.gif
[/QUOTE]
I had high hopes as well after reading those reviews, but the excitement was broken after I tried playing it.

[quote name='jalu6']Played the open beta, and my advice for this MMO is the same for every other one I've played.

Wait 6 months after release. It will be a better game.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='LTM360']This. The PvP is awful, and the end-game is practically non-existent.[/QUOTE]

Having played it, I have to agree with both of these comments. The PvP is very much tacked-on and terribly balanced. The game itself is still undergoing constant changes, and there's a lot that could stand to be added to it.

[quote name='CKaz']This.

Everyone thinks they have to charge $15/mo now even if they're not worth it, and yes I lump WoW into that bit, frankly, having recently quit.

I wouldn't mind a more reasonable sub, it also helps for those of us busy and with lives not feel the pinch when we don't play it for long stretches. The one-size-one-price-fits-all model gets old.
[/QUOTE]

It was nice to see FusionFall earlier this year go with a $5 a month plan. Some games are more casual and if they price a little cheaper they can be picked up as a 2nd MMO by gamers with excess free time. There's not a lot of people that will pay 2x$15 a month subs, but there are lots that would pay 2x$10 or 1x$10 + 1x$5, or some such combination.

All MMOs get hard to justify though when you compare to games like Team Fortress 2, with all the free updates and new maps all the time.

Anyway, more on point about Champions, I played the beta as well. It had great character design, which was expected with some former CoH devs behind it. And there were some nice open zone event/quests that were very fun. That's about it for the positives.

There were lots of negatives ranging from all the normal launch issues like unbalanced powers and game stability to some clunky animations, open-world quests that people wait in line for (you'd think MMOs would have advanced in over a decade). And most of all, it just wasn't that much "better" than City of Heroes, which I spent a couple years with. If I was going to sub $15 a month for a game again, might as well go back there, since it has power customization options now as well, and a lot more polish and fun than CO.

As others mentioned there have been some huge patches with power changes and stuff right off the bat, stuff that should have been fixed long ago in beta. It sounds just like the early (issues 1-6) problems that many of the same devs committed with CoH before. Maybe they'll get things right in a few months, but for now I'd stay far away. A lot more games coming soon for the holiday season that I'd rather spend money on.

I had been waiting for CO since I saw the first screenshots, bought a lifetime subscription ($199 before launch) and even built an uber-'puter just for it. I thoroughly enjoyed beta up until the launch day borking but a lot of those issues have since been fixed. (My might build is useful again). I don't regret it.

I played in the open beta and was very impressed. I promptly pre-ordered and got in on the 6-month sub promo offer they had shortly before launch. For me, it's the most fun I've had in an MMO. Character creation in and of itself is a blast and I have never run into an instance where I had to wait for more than one respawn of an enemy or item in an open quest. (Timers are short too -- 1-5 minutes). I also like the idea of not being restricted by classes and being able to choose any powers you like. With that being said, I'm primarily a PvE player and solo for about two thirds of my play time so, the game caters to my play style pretty well.
Yes, PvP is pretty worthless right now. And there have been alot of major changes since launch to a few of the power sets. I would say, if you have a similar play style to mine, don't hesitate. Otherwise, give it a few months to mature.

[quote name='AwRy108']It's supposed to be enjoyable as far as MMO's go, but here's two key things to remember:

1) reaping any type of rewarding game time requires LOTS of time
2) it's not WoW
3) the only game that will ever compare to WoW is the [unannounced] WoW 2[/QUOTE]

I dunno man did you see any gameplay from Star Wars the Old Republic? If it gets any better I might try to get a lifetime subscription before it launches.

[quote name='mietha']Welcome to 1997? Anyway, yeah, apparently they pulled a big fat bait-and-switch on release day. Not to mention the fact that who really fucking cares with both a DC and Marvel version coming. WoW isn't even CLOSE to the best MMO. It is, however, one of the easiest and most casual, thus the popularity. You can hit the level cap in weeks (hell, maybe even a week) and there is no endgame. There is no denying the ease of play though. You never have to worry about anything, other than jackass players, for the most part.[/QUOTE]

Uh, this IS the Marvel MMO. Marvel pulled out near the beginning of the year and the title they were working on became Champions Online.

bread's done
Back