Amazon DotD: All Pro Football 2k8 PS3 $40

This is a pretty decent game, although the price has been dropping towards $39.99 for a while now so it's not a great price, per se.

I really thought the game was better than most of the reviews seemed to indicate, although I absolutely am not a fan of Madden/EA. It's not perfect, and maybe if you're a truly hardcore Madden fan it's not what you want to play, but I find it a pretty fun football game (and leads to some great trash talking about which legends truly were the best).

Aww, poor All Pro Football 2k8, barely out a month and a half and its already a $40 DotD and $40 used at Gamestop...

Then again, what do they expect trying to charge $60 for an unlicensed, unadvanced version of a 3 year old $20 game (2k5). I'd like to feel sorry for them but just like Shadowrun they priced themselves WAY outta their league.

I don't see where all the hate orignates from. Sure, there's no NFL license or franchise modes, but if you're looking for the best football game, as in gameplay and graphics, not to mention the stellar online play, this is the football game to have.

[quote name='thehoo']I don't see where all the hate orignates from. Sure, there's no NFL license or franchise modes, but if you're looking for the best football game, as in gameplay and graphics, not to mention the stellar online play, this is the football game to have.[/QUOTE]

Like I said, its a worse version of a previous entry into the series (2k5). If 2k5 were backward compatible there'd be no reason at all to even look at 2k8.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']Like I said, its a worse version of a previous entry into the series (2k5). If 2k5 were backward compatible there'd be no reason at all to even look at 2k8.[/QUOTE]

Jerry Rice and Barry Sanders.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']Like I said, its a worse version of a previous entry into the series (2k5). If 2k5 were backward compatible there'd be no reason at all to even look at 2k8.[/quote] Well, that's your opinion, which I think is completely off base, but hey, to each man his own.

I agree If this game had the current players I would play this over madden. The gameplay is great everything about this game in presentation and gameplay is top notch.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']Like I said, its a worse version of a previous entry into the series (2k5). If 2k5 were backward compatible there'd be no reason at all to even look at 2k8.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='thehoo']Well, that's your opinion, which I think is completely off base, but hey, to each man his own.[/QUOTE]

And that's your opinion. And IMO it's crap.

The demo, while mildly entertaining if you're a football fan, really shows why this game got such poor reviews. The play control is pretty bad; there appears to be no way to change your active player to the one closest to the ball as the change player buttons (yes, there are two - X and O) just rotate clockwise and counterclockwise along the same pattern. Man, that was a long sentence. Also, there seems to be no stiff-arms or jukes on offense, or swims or turns on defense - the things that Madden has trained us to expect since 2004. As it stands, this controls like that old handheld Football game with the little red blips - all you can really do is avoid things.

Maybe it's just because I prefer Madden, as it seems to just play better, but at $40 this is not a deal. It's only redeeming feature is the sense of nostalgia from seeing some old names, which quickly wears off as Walter Payton taking snaps from Johnny Unitas is just weird. Maybe if this hits $20 it might be worth it.

I haven't put alot of time in the game, but the few time I did put in the game It's pretty good. If it had all the players/teams from NFL2k5 and the crib then I would say it would be slightly better then 2k5. But since it has neither you should probably wait till this drops till $30 or less. I felt it was worth the $43 I paid for it but I'm a big 2k sports fan.

I picked this up last week when BB had it on sale for $39. The concept of putting together a team of legends makes it worthwhile IMO. The game itself isn't spectacular, but it's decent. I also bought it to support the aspect of competition - in a perfect world, 2K will release a quality game every year that forces Madden to keep getting better. I am convinced that my lone purchase of APF 2K8 singlehandedly sends that message. (lol)

Having said that, I think Madden '08 is the better game in terms of depth and gameplay - and since that's what my friends are playing online, it's the game I'll likely play more often.

[quote name='jasu']The demo, while mildly entertaining if you're a football fan, really shows why this game got such poor reviews. The play control is pretty bad; there appears to be no way to change your active player to the one closest to the ball as the change player buttons (yes, there are two - X and O) just rotate clockwise and counterclockwise along the same pattern. Man, that was a long sentence. Also, there seems to be no stiff-arms or jukes on offense, or swims or turns on defense - the things that Madden has trained us to expect since 2004. As it stands, this controls like that old handheld Football game with the little red blips - all you can really do is avoid things.

Maybe it's just because I prefer Madden, as it seems to just play better, but at $40 this is not a deal. It's only redeeming feature is the sense of nostalgia from seeing some old names, which quickly wears off as Walter Payton taking snaps from Johnny Unitas is just weird. Maybe if this hits $20 it might be worth it.[/quote]

You want a button that always selects the nose tackle? How novel. X cycles one way and O cycles the other pre-snap. I have this on the 360 and B changes to the closest player post snap and on NFL2k5 on PS2 it's O.

On 360, stiff arms are the bumpers and jukes are the triggers and on ESPN2k5 they are L1/R1 and L2/R2 respectively. Note that if you want to stiff arm right and the ball is in your right hand, you must hold the R1 button to switch ball carrying hands and then stiff arm.

As far as defensive moves go on 360: LT club, RT Swim, LB rip, RB spin, A bullrush and ESPN2k5: last I recall hold L1 or R1 to determine the side to work and press (on right stick)up, down, left, and right for Swim, spin, club and bullrush. Wait until engaged in a block to press the button. These are moves the 2k series has trained us to expect since at least NFL2k2!

I listed the 360 as a reference that the game indeed has the moves and the PS2 as a reference as the buttons probably are the same as before. You can also use the right stick for all of your jukes, spins, etc. Does the PS3 version not have a manual? I'm sure you can check Gamefaqs for more and you can thank me later for improving your game from laughingstock to rookie. Seriously, not being mean, but if all you do is run, people laugh.

[quote name='thehoo']Well, that's your opinion, which I think is completely off base, but hey, to each man his own.[/QUOTE]
Well, given the 75% gamerankings score I'd say its more than just me that has that opinion. Every review I've read so far has had the same sentiment, the only advance from 2k5 is the graphics, other than that its a step backward. After I rented the game I couldn't help but agree. Sure the game did some fun pop culture reference stuff like DiMeo Stadium and Wolfram and Hart Stadium in addition to having the ability to make a team of NFL legends, both of which really made me want to like it but the fact of the matter is the game was half-assed. If you expect to compete with the Madden juggernaut, especially without the NFL license, don't half-ass it. Given the lackluster reception of Madden this year, it would have been a perfect time to do it too...

Call this Amazon Deal of a Game That should have been priced at this from the start.. of the day!

[quote name='legs1986']You can get it for 40$ at EB used + edge card.[/quote]

But this is new... with free shipping and no tax

[quote name='jdawgg76']You want a button that always selects the nose tackle? How novel. X cycles one way and O cycles the other pre-snap. I have this on the 360 and B changes to the closest player post snap and on NFL2k5 on PS2 it's O.

On 360, stiff arms are the bumpers and jukes are the triggers and on ESPN2k5 they are L1/R1 and L2/R2 respectively. Note that if you want to stiff arm right and the ball is in your right hand, you must hold the R1 button to switch ball carrying hands and then stiff arm.

As far as defensive moves go on 360: LT club, RT Swim, LB rip, RB spin, A bullrush and ESPN2k5: last I recall hold L1 or R1 to determine the side to work and press (on right stick)up, down, left, and right for Swim, spin, club and bullrush. Wait until engaged in a block to press the button. These are moves the 2k series has trained us to expect since at least NFL2k2!

I listed the 360 as a reference that the game indeed has the moves and the PS2 as a reference as the buttons probably are the same as before. You can also use the right stick for all of your jukes, spins, etc. Does the PS3 version not have a manual? I'm sure you can check Gamefaqs for more and you can thank me later for improving your game from laughingstock to rookie. Seriously, not being mean, but if all you do is run, people laugh.[/quote]

You're probably right. I only played the demo, which had no instructions or controls listed anywhere, and nothing I saw made me want to go and find out more. I was used to pressing X to select the closest player; O didn't appear to do anything, though I may be wrong. As for the rest of the moves.... pressing any button on offense appeared to do nothing. Pressing [] on defense allowed me to dive, and Triangle let me jump. None of the triggers seemed to do anything.

It's entirely possible that I just didn't see any effect from my button presses... but that doesn't exactly seem like a selling point. As I stated in my post, my thoughts were based on the PS3 demo only. The actual game might play better than the demo, or I just didn't put enough time into it to find out. Either way, I'm sticking with Madden and all it's 30fps glory. It just seems more responsive to me.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']Well, given the 75% gamerankings score I'd say its more than just me that has that opinion. Every review I've read so far has had the same sentiment, the only advance from 2k5 is the graphics, other than that its a step backward. After I rented the game I couldn't help but agree. Sure the game did some fun pop culture reference stuff like DiMeo Stadium and Wolfram and Hart Stadium in addition to having the ability to make a team of NFL legends, both of which really made me want to like it but the fact of the matter is the game was half-assed. If you expect to compete with the Madden juggernaut, especially without the NFL license, don't half-ass it. Given the lackluster reception of Madden this year, it would have been a perfect time to do it too...[/quote]

Lackluster Madden? Uh, this has been the best recieved Madden, and it's also really good IMO.

This is an amazing deal, once you get past the fake players/using the same HOF'ers over and over, it's great fun. If you have friends get this game. Period. The gameplay is fantastic (It's very close to 2k5), the only reason that the reviews were lackluster had nothing to do with the gameplay (If you would read the reviews) and everything to do with the lack of a Franchise mode and lack of some deeper customization issues. Basically the 75% has is due entirely to gameplay, and the 25% is some of the stuff they didn't place in the game.

Personally, I think it's hard to include a full franchise, because how do you run with HOF players for years and years? What do you do when they retire? Their skills encompass the players ENTIRE career, so you can't really rate them.

The game can be improved by including more HOF'ers (And more people like Alvin Harper types, good players but not great) and making everything (EVERYTHING) customizable.

40 dollars is a great deal for anyone with a PS3.

bread's done
Back