Amazon DOTD: Civilization IV Gold Edition -- $20

Hitze

CAGiversary!
Amazon must have a huge backlog of this game if it's been on sale for the last couple of weeks for $32.99 and the price was dropped further for today. Those of you that ended up taking the plunge at $32.99 make sure you call in and get the $13 refund!

This is a phenomenal deal. About time! :)

Only "catch" is that I've got it on Gametap, but I don't think that has the expansion, and this way I can always play it :)

Whoops, I forgot to ask the usual-anyone know if this game has any "ACTIVATION" or other weird DRM? I'm 100% fine with having to keep the disc in the drive, but not with "activation".

Gah, I just wish they had a DOTD that I cared about (CoD4 and Civ4 are great deals... but I have them already :() I keep kicking myself for passing on the eye of judgement... doh!

I cannot recommend this deal enough.
$20 for both games. The Warlords expansion that comes with it is good, but getting Civ 4 alone for $20 is a complete no brainer.

Just a note - the Warlords expansion that's included in this deal is good, but the second expansion (Beyond the Sword) includes most of the features from Warlords.

I would still jump all over this deal if you do not have Civ 4. Buy this, play them, get familiar, and hopefully a deal for Beyond the Sword comes around sometime as well. As I said before, $20 for the game without any expansions would be a steal. Throw in a good expansion? Amazing.

The only thing stopping me from grabbing this is that I'm hearing Vista has problems but are fixed in Beyond the Sword? While I want to get the game as I haven't touched a Civ game in like eight years, compatibility issues are a stopper for me.

Anyone know if this can run on Vista 64bit without game stopping errors? I don't plan on going back to 32bit until I make my next PC sometime later this year.

Draekon - I don't know about any specific issues with Vista 64 bit.
I was able to run Beyond the Sword on a relatively new Vista 32 bit home premium laptop, no issues whatsoever.

A search at Civfanatics showed that some people had issues with Vista but that was mainly this time last year, just after Vista launched, and most seemed to resolve it without too much hassle. (i.e. the problem did not appear to be endemic.)

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=204992&highlight=issues+with+Vista+64

General Search Result
http://forums.civfanatics.com/search.php?searchid=508889

Hope that helps.

Glad I waited (and waited and then completely forgot about this game). Thanks, Hitze. My discipline with not biting on Underground Pool paid off!

[quote name='Spiv']Draekon - I don't know about any specific issues with Vista 64 bit.
I was able to run Beyond the Sword on a relatively new Vista 32 bit home premium laptop, no issues whatsoever.

A search at Civfanatics showed that some people had issues with Vista but that was mainly this time last year, just after Vista launched, and most seemed to resolve it without too much hassle. (i.e. the problem did not appear to be endemic.)

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=204992&highlight=issues+with+Vista+64

General Search Result
http://forums.civfanatics.com/search.php?searchid=508889

Hope that helps.[/quote]

Much thanks, I think I'll go ahead and bite. Worse case scenario I'll go into Windows XP since I dual boot and install it there or wait until I can get a deal on Beyond the Sword.

[quote name='Spiv']Just a note - the Warlords expansion that's included in this deal is good, but the second expansion (Beyond the Sword) includes most of the features from Warlords.[/quote]

More specifically, BtS contains all the gameplay additions/changes in Warlords and excludes only the Warlords scenarios.

Yeah, given that I couldn't care less about scenarious, I'll just wait until a final "complete" package is released in the States.

You can buy an import Complete collection for $34 shipped off of eBay and sometimes GoGamer.com.

Yes, the Complete Edition has the original game + Warlords + Beyond the Sword.

How come the overseas markets usually get better bundle deals long before the states? In the UK, for example, you can already buy SupCom + the SupCom expansion for 20 pounds.

but i dont think the complete edition would have it for this cheap?

I played the demo for civ 4. I heard it is a pretty complicated game

bread's done
Back