Amazon DOTD NIER $44.99

Ah, told myself that I will pick up Nier when I see a price drop. Done deal!

Of course, by the time I get to it, it will be available for $30 ...

[quote name='wasabi5858']Ah, told myself that I will pick up Nier when I see a price drop. Done deal!

Of course, by the time I get to it, it will be available for $30 ...[/QUOTE]

Actually I could swear I already saw it for 35 somewhere.... I need to check a few things. I will get back to you on this.

EDIT:if used works for you they have it at Gamestop for 44.99, then all you need to do is throw a coupon code at it for 20pre to get 20 percent off the top. 35.99 (less if you have an edge card)

[quote name='Cheeseknight28']Not quite at the under $14.99 I was looking for. Maybe next month?[/QUOTE]

I know that game prices are dropping fast this year, but that is aiming a bit high for the first month the game is out. Then again it didn't get very good reviews.

Just about to plat this game, and I can tell you it will be 30 by the end of next month :) BestBuy and TRU don't even take this as a trade in so I'm stuck giving it to gamestop for 22+promo%, that's hoping it holds at 22 til tomorrow...

[quote name='Velo214']Just about to plat this game, and I can tell you it will be 30 by the end of next month :) BestBuy and TRU don't even take this as a trade in so I'm stuck giving it to gamestop for 22+promo%, that's hoping it holds at 22 til tomorrow...[/QUOTE]

LOL wow. Is it worth the purchase at 30? (or better yet, 22?)

[quote name='guynextshore']LOL wow. Is it worth the purchase at 30? (or better yet, 22?)[/QUOTE]

Completely, if you know what you're getting into. Hi there velo, looking to trade it so soon? Heh. Well there isn't much to do after all the endings.

Game has a wonderful soundtrack, strong characters and I thought an extremely mature(re:not just cussing/blood) story though it does take awhile to get started. Combine that with so-so graphics but good style, simple but variant gameplay and an unfortunate somewhat small world you will be treading too often for fetch quests and you get the scores it received. Read some of those reviews, even some 6's and 7's are pretty damn positive but realistic of what the game fails in.

LMAO, this comes the morning after I sold my copy on Amazon Marketplace. Great timing on that one. This game has a lot of good ideas but it is also very flawed.... I would wait for another price drop, it'll definitely be coming sooner rather than later.

Yeah after the last ending it deletes your save file, basically telling you that you have done it all and it is time to trade it in, lol.
The game is ok, I mean, I put over 50 hours to plat it, but I knew when they were talking about the postman's creed for an hour during fetch quests that this game wasn't a keeper, lol.
Yeah great mature story since like xenogears that you really have to think it out, read the load screens, and actually think about it all, but It doesn't deserve the 50 I gave it new... especially after grinding for broken wristwatches, subdued bracelets, fluorite and pyrites and eagle eggs, etc I'm officially done once I get all my weapons upgraded and my $1,000,000 :)

I am waiting on a lower price due to the issues you all describe. I think the story sounds great, but I just cant get over the bland visuals. No excuse to have a game look that bland and colorless in this day and age (for a full priced title).

James Mason as a possessed book and the person at the beginning of the game sold me.(Didn't want to spoil) Definitely not standard Squeenix material. I still picked it up at Kmart on release week which was either this same price or a dollar or three over.

[quote name='GamingGator']My wife just called me from Target, and the PS3 version was in the clearance section for $30.[/QUOTE]I hope to find it at this price. I seriously doubt it would make it to 75% off over here.

Bleh this game doesnt look so appealing and i love RPGs, hack and slash. Maybe for 10 bucks id try it.

Nier is EASILY one of the best RPG this whole gen so far. Those who actually played and went through it agrees (in the majority). The big negativity is OMFG IT DOESNT LOOK PRETTY LIKE FF13 SO IT MUST SUCK! but other than that, it brings so many genres together in a creative sense with probably one of the best non-cliche stories we had in a video game in a long long while.

[quote name='kosmos13x']Nier is EASILY one of the best RPG this whole gen so far. Those who actually played and went through it agrees (in the majority). The big negativity is OMFG IT DOESNT LOOK PRETTY LIKE FF13 SO IT MUST SUCK! but other than that, it brings so many genres together in a creative sense with probably one of the best non-cliche stories we had in a video game in a long long while.[/QUOTE]
It has more problems than just graphics though. This is why I want to wait for a further drop. Glad you liked the game that much though. I am sure I will enjoy it later on down the line as well.

[quote name='Velo214']Yeah after the last ending it deletes your save file, basically telling you that you have done it all and it is time to trade it in, lol.
The game is ok, I mean, I put over 50 hours to plat it, but I knew when they were talking about the postman's creed for an hour during fetch quests that this game wasn't a keeper, lol.
Yeah great mature story since like xenogears that you really have to think it out, read the load screens, and actually think about it all, but It doesn't deserve the 50 I gave it new... especially after grinding for broken wristwatches, subdued bracelets, fluorite and pyrites and eagle eggs, etc I'm officially done once I get all my weapons upgraded and my $1,000,000 :)[/QUOTE]

Heh I don't go for achievements or trophies for that reason ;) Definitely would've just hurt nier's experience for me since by the end I just skipped the last 15% of sidequests anyway as I just wanted to see the game to it's conclusion.

[quote name='Velo214']The game is ok, I mean, I put over 50 hours to plat it, but I knew when they were talking about the postman's creed for an hour during fetch quests that this game wasn't a keeper, lol.
Yeah great mature story since like xenogears that you really have to think it out, read the load screens, and actually think about it all, but It doesn't deserve the 50 I gave it new...[/QUOTE]
At $1 per hour, I think you got your money's worth. :)

[quote name='KRS']I heard that the FISHING in Nier is amaaaaaaaazing.

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/05/03/nier-review-fail/[/QUOTE]

If you put a gun to my head, I couldn't explain to you how someone could have had such trouble with the fishing in this game. The first time you fish, there is a big red X on your map stating where you need to go to fish. I'm just at a loss on this one.

[quote name='wrencrest']It has more problems than just graphics though. This is why I want to wait for a further drop. Glad you liked the game that much though. I am sure I will enjoy it later on down the line as well.[/QUOTE]

care to explain?

[quote name='kosmos13x']care to explain?[/QUOTE]
From what I read there are a lot of boring fetch quests and the combat can be too easy/boring as well.

[quote name='wrencrest']From what I read there are a lot of boring fetch quests and the combat can be too easy/boring as well.[/QUOTE]

They're solid points, I'd agree. A bit boring at the start, gets better, butdown the line gets too easy. It doesn't start easy, but the farming items for quests will level you too high for the later game to be a challenge. Hard might solve that problem.

Fishing isn't really bad though. I mean, when you first do it, I had a hard time figuring out what I was supposed to do, pushing left/right early means you pretty much always lose the fish and I think I might've been holding the button to reel in, if I accidentally let go and pressed again he'd fail as well. As soon as I knew what the hell I was doing, it was very simple and nice. I love the music in the seafront town, but the "reeling in fish" music isn't anything special and is always punctuating the town music.

It's gonna have to be a lot lower than that for me to get over the fact they only brought over Nier Gestalt. Sorry, but old butterface Nier does not appeal to this American.

[quote name='wrencrest']From what I read there are a lot of boring fetch quests and the combat can be too easy/boring as well.[/QUOTE]

What you hear and what you actually play are 2 different things. I encourage you to maybe at least give it a rental before you formulate an opinion of the game.

The quests are purely optional and are there for those who want to take a break from the actual game. Sure they could of left them out, but the developers actually went the extra mile (which a lot of devs these days stop doing). A lot of the side quests actually have a lot of meaning and have very interesting stories (and plot twists), just for the main factor of giving the feel that there is a world and life going on around you.

The combat is meant more towards the dungeon crawler feel. A lot of people (and this is something I see in general these days), when they see action adventure game, they automatically start comparing it to God of War series. The combat is more on the lines of a traditional action rpg, with AI allies. Like the above poster suggested, you may want to set the difficulty level to hard if you plan on grinding through the side quests as soon as they pop up since they can make you a bit overleveled in normal mode.

My final clear time is about 45 hours and enjoyed it a lot. Again other than the graphics, the devs, Cravia, put a lot of work and effort into this game and came out something that is clear above the average standard of an (action) RPG game these days. Granted, its definitely not on my top ten games ever played and Im no fanboy of it, but that doesn't mean I can't admit that it was a real masterpiece.

Again, I really do encourage you to at least rent it to see if your opinion may change.

[quote name='kosmos13x']What you hear and what you actually play are 2 different things. I encourage you to maybe at least give it a rental before you formulate an opinion of the game.

The quests are purely optional and are there for those who want to take a break from the actual game. Sure they could of left them out, but the developers actually went the extra mile (which a lot of devs these days stop doing). A lot of the side quests actually have a lot of meaning and have very interesting stories (and plot twists), just for the main factor of giving the feel that there is a world and life going on around you.

The combat is meant more towards the dungeon crawler feel. A lot of people (and this is something I see in general these days), when they see action adventure game, they automatically start comparing it to God of War series. The combat is more on the lines of a traditional action rpg, with AI allies. Like the above poster suggested, you may want to set the difficulty level to hard if you plan on grinding through the side quests as soon as they pop up since they can make you a bit overleveled in normal mode.

My final clear time is about 45 hours and enjoyed it a lot. Again other than the graphics, the devs, Cravia, put a lot of work and effort into this game and came out something that is clear above the average standard of an (action) RPG game these days. Granted, its definitely not on my top ten games ever played and Im no fanboy of it, but that doesn't mean I can't admit that it was a real masterpiece.

Again, I really do encourage you to at least rent it to see if your opinion may change.[/QUOTE]
I am glad you enjoyed the game. I might like it too. But I have a backlog to get through. I read opinions and reviews of games for the content, not the score. What I have read from numerous sites are consistently the same thing. If they are all saying the same thing, I tend to beleive it. Once I do play it, i may end up loving it. But there is no rush to do so.

[quote name='samus_boy']If you put a gun to my head, I couldn't explain to you how someone could have had such trouble with the fishing in this game. The first time you fish, there is a big red X on your map stating where you need to go to fish. I'm just at a loss on this one.[/QUOTE]

It's Joystiq, gotta keep your expectations low.

Especially since that post is their "official" review of the game. I'm sure SE can't wait to send them more review copies of future games.

[quote name='wrencrest']I am glad you enjoyed the game. I might like it too. But I have a backlog to get through. I read opinions and reviews of games for the content, not the score. What I have read from numerous sites are consistently the same thing. If they are all saying the same thing, I tend to beleive it. Once I do play it, i may end up loving it. But there is no rush to do so.[/QUOTE]

Backlogs do suck. I'm embarrassed to show mine *looks at my large bookshelf of unplayed games*

[quote name='animalspinners']It's Joystiq, gotta keep your expectations low.

Especially since that post is their "official" review of the game. I'm sure SE can't wait to send them more review copies of future games.[/QUOTE]

Yah, that is one of the reasons why i dont formulate an opinion based on so called professional reviews, when 3/4 of them act like they never passed high school. That joystiq article made me lol though.

The graphics weren't the dealbreaker for me, it was the fact this could be called 'fetch quest: the game' I mean, even when you have to replay the game for diff endings, if you don't do any fetch quests it will only take you an afternoon for another playthru. And all these things about the story being great are over rated, but then again I loved Xenogears and Vagrant Story back when Squaresoft cared...but I go off topic...

bread's done
Back