Amazon DotD: The X-Files: The Complete Collector's Edition $124

Status
Not open for further replies.
Given the number of discs in this huge ass set, it looks to be a good value. I can't help but wonder if this could have a further price drop as we get closer to Christmas though? Any chance this could be under $99 soon? Or if someone is interested, this is a good price point to pull the trigger at? Thanks in advance for any feedback you can provide!

Update: Alright, after reading the reviews and getting a lot of feedback on Amazon, I pulled the trigger on this one. I was always interested in this set, but never gave it too much thought because it was always out of my price range since it's been at around $300 for so long. Word has it that this deal won't last for long so if any of you are thinking about it, make the purchase before it's too late!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Holy crap that's a deal. The slim seasons go for 20 new. I'd hop on this if I didn't already have them. One of the greatest shows ever made.

I really doubt this will go below $99 any time soon.

[quote name='RobnessMonster']Given the number of discs in this huge ass set, it looks to be a good value. I can't help but wonder if this could have a further price drop as we get closer to Christmas though? Any chance this could be under $99 soon? Or if someone is interested, this is a good price point to pull the trigger at? Thanks in advance for any feedback you can provide![/QUOTE]

It is not going to be under $100 any time soon. And if that happens just pay the shipping and return it to amazon

Thanks for the input, guys! After thinking about it, I went ahead and got one because this is definitely more than a fair price. As soon as word spreads to all the sci-fi websites, I'm sure this deal will be gone by the early morning. So for anyone whose interested, please place your order before it's too late. Either that or before it goes out of stock and you gotta wait a month to receive it. As for me, I'll start my marathon on Tuesday. Gotta love Prime!!!

also watch out for resellers. I mean there are tons of buffy set on ebay that are going for a lot less than it used to be

Here's a crazy question I would like to throw out there - how many of these sets do you all think Amazon actually has for sale?! Are there hundreds of these scattered through their facilities?! I can't imagine them using up so much space to store these, so odds are that they can't have too many on hand and the set will sell out fast. So, again, if you are interested in this, pull the trigger before it's too late!!!

And those eBay resellers are probably going to charge you an arm and a leg for shipping this huge sucker, so Amazon is definitely the way to go! But for how long? Who knows...

[quote name='RobnessMonster']Here's a crazy question I would like to throw out there - how many of these sets do you all think Amazon actually has for sale?! Are there hundreds of these scattered through their facilities?! I can't imagine them using up so much space to store these, so odds are that they can't have too many on hand and the set will sell out fast. So, again, if you are interested in this, pull the trigger before it's too late!!!

And those eBay resellers are probably going to charge you an arm and a leg for shipping this huge sucker, so Amazon is definitely the way to go! But for how long? Who knows...[/QUOTE]

actually looking at the recent listings for complete buffy (at around $87 shipped) the reseller would not be making money if they pay $70 during amazon gold box. Looks like the reseller doesn't realized that if you flood the market the price will go down.

for example look at this guy selling family guy, buffy, and john adams complete box set, which were all amazon gold box deal.
http://shop.ebay.com/merchant/shockdragon

For anyone keeping score, remember that Buffy is 40 discs compared to over 60 with X-Files. At the gold box price, you're getting a whole lotta value for your dollar.

As far as Buffy goes, I'm hoping that Amazon will have the collection for around $60 one of these days. Once they do, that's when I'll finally pick it up.

[quote name='62t']that too but there are tons of listing for the amazon exclusive Family Guy set. A lot of the reseller barley breaks even after shipping[/quote]

What about the listing/seller fees? Are those being taken into account here? If those resellers don't handle their business correctly, they can possibly lose money on these deals. Or go through a whole lotta trouble just to make 6 to 7 dollars on a single sale. Damn...

[quote name='RobnessMonster']What about the listing/seller fees? Are those being taken into account here? If those resellers don't handle their business correctly, they can possibly lose money on these deals. Or go through a whole lotta trouble just to make 6 to 7 dollars on a single sale. Damn...[/QUOTE]

Yea I am not sure what some of those people were thinking. Some guy sold 3 Family Guy set each for $90 shipped. If it cost him $75 to buy and ship it, he makes like by $5 selling after around $10 in fees.

[quote name='62t']Yea I am not sure what some of those people were thinking. Some guy sold 3 Family Guy set each for $90 shipped. If it cost him $75 to buy and ship it, he makes like by $5 selling after around $10 in fees.[/quote]

I bet your estimates are pretty close to reality, 62t. At most, these guys either break-even or make close to $10. When you factor in the time it takes to prepare the item for shipping, the cost of shipping materials, the time to drop off the item for shipping, and the gas it takes to drive to and from shipping, it just doesn't seem worth it in the end. Oh well. As long as it ends up being good deals for me and my fellow cheap asses, I'm all for it. May the cycle continue, haha...

[quote name='62t']It is not going to be under $100 any time soon. And if that happens just pay the shipping and return it to amazon[/quote]It's been $99 in previous DVD DOTD's, though that was a number of months ago.

[quote name='RobnessMonster']As far as Buffy goes, I'm hoping that Amazon will have the collection for around $60 one of these days. Once they do, that's when I'll finally pick it up.[/QUOTE]

Meanwhile I'm on the side that is waiting for seasons 4-7 to get 16x9 releases here in America. I mean I know that Wheddon prefered 4x3 but when the REST of the world gets 16x9 for those seasons it just seems a bit.... wrong. Plus with The Shield getting 16x9 re-releases not that long ago that kinda gives me hope for those Buffy seasons to get the same thing done eventually.

[quote name='shrike4242']It's been $99 in previous DVD DOTD's, though that was a number of months ago.[/QUOTE]

I seems to remember it $165 back at march for the same set

I got it for similar price from barnes and noble during a sale w/ 40% off coupon. A word of warning though with this set their is a big defect in the manufacturing of it. The weight of the dvds causes the bottom to collapse blocking the tray from opening properly on the bottom.

It's a pretty small issue and it can't be seen unless you actually remove the discs and look inside. But just wanted to warn you all. It's still well worth the price for a great collection.

I'm interested in watching this show, but I'm trying to switch over to blu-ray so I'm wondering what are the chances of a 'Complete Series' blu-ray coming out. I can definitely wait for it (I have plenty of other shows I need to catch up on), so I rather wait to see that happen instead of jumping on this. I have to admit though, this does sound like a pretty good deal.

Regarding potential Blu-ray... I don't want to think about how much a 9 season show would cost on BD.

I was mad when I missed this for $160, and it went back up to $300. Never saw it for $99 (!!) but $125 is fine for me. The # of viewing hours versus the price is more than enough.

Maybe I should just cancel Netflix, cuz I'll have plenty to watch now.

Thanks for posting, OP.

thanks OP!
icon_smile.gif

Didn't like the x files when I saw a few episodes later in their seasons. But I loved both movies and after watching I want to believe and the pilot episode from season 1 I decided to dive right into this deal.

Coincidence that I got I Want to Believe from netflix today then hopped on my computer after watching it to see this DotD...FATE!

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back