Amazon Download - $49.99 Square Enix Pack or 7 SE Games 50% off individually.

Amazon DVG Deals

Official Representative
Feedback
4 (100%)
Hey there CAG!

Happy Labor Day, hope you're enjoying a BBQ somewhere, or doing some such other fun activity. I'm sitting on my deck, enjoying a beautiful Seattle morning with a cup of coffee in my hand.

We just launched a 7-game bundle that I wanted to tell you all about. Currently, you can purchase any of the digital Square Enix games offered by Amazon for 50% off, or 70% if you purchase all 7 in the bundle.

Link for the deal (thanks Sway!):
http://www.amazon.com/Square-Enix-40...rd_i=979455011

Here's a list of the games on sale.

1. Dungeon Siege 3 - $24.99
2. Final Fantasy XI - $9.99
3. Just Cause 2 - $9.99
4. Kane and Lynch 2 - $9.99
5. Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light -$7.49
6. Supreme Commander 2 - $7.49
7. Tomb Raider: Underworld - $14.99

Total Price: $49.99

Also, what do you think of the name "Adventure Pack"? We kicked around a few different ideas at the office, I'm interested to see if you all have any feedback.

Cheers,
Tony

Last edited by a moderator:
Those games are all not Adventure games. Most aren't, as a matter of fact.

To me, your pack is more like a Square Enix Variety Pack. You pretty much covered EVERY base of genres in there, just about.

DS3 = ARPG;
FF games are [tactical-style] RPG's - in this case, FFXI is a MMO;
Just Cause 2 is an [open-world] action game;
Kane and Lynch 2 is a shooter;
Sup Com 2 is a RTS.

TR games are a hybrid of action and adventure games.

[quote name='MysterD']Those games are all not Adventure games. Most aren't, as a matter of fact.

To me, your pack is more like a Square Enix Variety Pack. You pretty much covered EVERY base of genres in there, just about.

DS3 = ARPG;
Sup Com 2 is a RTS.

TR games are a hybrid of action and adventure games.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the feedback Myst, we kicked around the idea of "Value Pack" until someone suggested that the name reminded them of those blue envelopes filled with coupons you sometimes get in the mail...variety pack doesn't have that connotation though.

I was also thinking of "Square Enix Steam Pack", but there's 2 games in there that don't require Steam, which are FFXI and TR: Underworld. :p

You could use "Value Pack" b/c there is A LOT of value packed in that actual pack - especially at its current $50 price-tag.

"Variety Pack" does sound better, since you pretty much covered many different genres w/ each game in that pack. Each game offers up a different genre or sub-genre, in some way.

Also, when I think "adventure" games, I think back to the "pure" adventure games w/ a focus on solving puzzles and stuff like that - think like The Longest Journey series, Myst series, Post Mortem, Still Life series, Shadow of Destiny, Syberia series, Sam and Max series, Indigo Prophecy (Fahrenheit), Maniac Mansion, and all of those games.

Tomb Raider games, Silent Hill games, and Res Evil games are hybrids of action and adventure - b/c those games [usually] offer up action elements (attacking enemies, whether shooting, kicking, punching, or using melee weapons) and the puzzle elements (that are found in adventures). It's just that Silent Hill and Res' Evil are titled "survival-horror" b/c they are action-adventures w/ additional horror elements...and make weapons and ammo pretty scarce [survival aspect].
TR also has platforming elements [a lot of jumping and acrobatics].

EDIT:
BTW, I really dig the idea of you guys doing Special Bundles like these. Would like to see more of that in the future. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I like Variety Pack as well. I think special bundles are a great idea! Too bad I have most of these on Steam, that's what I get for loving Sqeenix. :D

Great deal. If I didn't own 5 of the 7 games listed, I'd totally jump on this "Value Pack."

As for the other two, Dungeon Siege 3 is still a bit too high for me and as for Final Fantasy XI... Well, it's Final Fantasy XI... :p

[quote name='ryushe']Great deal. If I didn't own 5 of the 7 games listed, I'd totally jump on this "Value Pack."[/quote]
Same here for me.
I'm missing FFXI and DS3.

As for the other two, Dungeon Siege 3 is still a bit too high for me and as for Final Fantasy XI... Well, it's Final Fantasy XI... :p
Same here.
I'm not too big on MMO's normally, though.

Not a great deal at all; Dungeon Siege 3 is terrible and if someone wanted to play FF XI they'll buy it/bought it on its own a decade ago (it's a freakin' MMO).

You're paying full price for the other 5 games in the package and getting these 2 useless ones free. Yay!

(Not meant to attack the OP/messenger btw. I appreciate the thread just giving my opinion on the games.)

That is a good price for FFXI for anyone that has been considering starting or going back to the game. The version on sale includes all of the expansions and mini-expansions. The game has been hovering around the $15-$16 dollar range for a few months now.

[quote name='Darrith']Not a great deal at all; Dungeon Siege 3 is terrible and if someone wanted to play FF XI they'll buy it/bought it on its own a decade ago (it's a freakin' MMO).

You're paying full price for the other 5 games in the package and getting these 2 useless ones free. Yay!

(Not meant to attack the OP/messenger btw. I appreciate the thread just giving my opinion on the games.)[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the feedback. I'll be bringing stuff like this back to the team to help us determine how to provide the best value for communities like this.

To clarify one thing though, all of the games, independent of the bundle are still 50% off, which is a significant discount.

A quick look around the internet shows games like Tomb Raider: Underworld for $19.99 standalone, Lara Croft: AGOL for $14.99, Supreme Commander 2 for $14.99, etc etc.

I hear your feedback loud and clear but I don't want there to be a perceived lack of value around a 50% discount.

Cheers,
Tony

Good deal. While DS3 gets a lot of hate cause it isn't like the previous DS games really, I did enjoy it quite a bit myself. I own nearly all the games on that list, Supreme Crapmander 2 being downright awful.

I did get my hopes up though coming in the thread, I thought any SE game was 50% off and I was like ooo time to get Deus Ex HR but it 30% off instead :( (good price still but I'm a cheapass ;) )

[quote name='KaOTiK']Good deal. While DS3 gets a lot of hate cause it isn't like the previous DS games really, I did enjoy it quite a bit myself. I own nearly all the games on that list, Supreme Crapmander 2 being downright awful.

I did get my hopes up though coming in the thread, I thought any SE game was 50% off and I was like ooo time to get Deus Ex HR but it 30% off instead :( (good price still but I'm a cheapass ;) )[/QUOTE]

You make an awesome point about getting your hopes up because of the subject line. I've edited it to be clearer, thanks for the catch!

Cheers,
Tony

[quote name='MysterD']Those games are all not Adventure games. Most aren't, as a matter of fact.

DS3 = ARPG;
Sup Com 2 is a RTS.

TR games are a hybrid of action and adventure games.[/QUOTE]

Game genres are so stretched today that adventure here is obviously referring more to the literal connotation of the word, not the genre itself (which in its purest form is point-and-click).

Seriously, worst thing to nitpick here.

These are all definitely cuts from the MSRP, but I don't know how much they'll appeal to the hardcore PCDD savers individually, cause we've seen a lot of 'em for lower. That doesn't mean I don't appreciate what you're doing, I absolutely do.

Having said that, the bundle is still a great deal. Total value of them at 50% is 85 bucks, meaning you're saving 35 on top of that (which puts each item individually at parity with the best sales we've seen), and at MSRP this stuff this stuff is like 170 dollars.

[quote name='Amazon DVG Deals']

To clarify one thing though, all of the games, independent of the bundle are still 50% off, which is a significant discount.

A quick look around the internet shows games like Tomb Raider: Underworld for $19.99 standalone, Lara Croft: AGOL for $14.99, Supreme Commander 2 for $14.99, etc etc.

I hear your feedback loud and clear but I don't want there to be a perceived lack of value around a 50% discount.

Cheers,
Tony[/QUOTE]

Ahh, didn't notice that, just saw the non bundle price and assumed it was the normal price. Oops. Thanks for pointing it out.

Its a good deal. I already have all the ones I'm interested in, or I'd probably jump on it.

Dungeon Siege 3 was fun. Its a game that's better on console, I think, but at $25 for a game that's only been out a few months in an arguably starved genre, I don't know how people could complain.

Tony - you should make sure to put Amazon and maybe Digital Download in the thread title - I skipped this thread earlier because I didn't know what site it was. I would've clicked immediately if I knew it was Amazon. I know the little icon is there, but those are easy to miss and ignore.

On the deal itself, good deal on Lara Croft - great co-op game and requires Steam, I believe.

[quote name='SevereTireDamage']Tony - you should make sure to put Amazon and maybe Digital Download in the thread title - I skipped this thread earlier because I didn't know what site it was. I would've clicked immediately if I knew it was Amazon. I know the little icon is there, but those are easy to miss and ignore.

On the deal itself, good deal on Lara Croft - great co-op game and requires Steam, I believe.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the feedback!

Thread title changed and note made to include this identification in all of my thread titles moving forward.

Cheers,
Tony

Quick question re: Amazon digital downloads - is it PC-only, or is there a possibility that you all might discount PSN codes, for instance?

Nothing really interests me in the pack but maybe you guys could do other digital download packs as mentioned? It'd be cool to see a 2k pack, Ea pack, Thq pack, etc each different week

[quote name='coolz481']Quick question re: Amazon digital downloads - is it PC-only, or is there a possibility that you all might discount PSN codes, for instance?[/QUOTE]

This is for PC/Mac currently, we've run discounts on PSN codes in the past for PSN Minis.

Cheers,
Tony

[quote name='Cysquatch']Nothing really interests me in the pack but maybe you guys could do other digital download packs as mentioned? It'd be cool to see a 2k pack, Ea pack, Thq pack, etc each different week[/QUOTE]

[quote name='gomikeoh']You guys should do packs like this more often... Juss sayin.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the feedback guys, I think you'll enjoy what we've got in store for you in the coming weeks/months.

Cheers,
Tony

Bit on Just Cause 2 and tempted to scoop up Supreme Commander 2 despite the mixed reviews.

If I didn't already own half the games on console, the whole bundle would be pretty damn tempting....except for FF XI.

Yeah, the bundle is full of terrible games, but buying others games could be a deal to some people.
The only games really worth to play are Just Cause 2 and Lara Croft. Underworld is okay for what it is.

I'm a proud Washingtonian and a stock holder, Amazon is lacking in Steam type of sale that people expect . Amazon does not have a chance in competing with steam because of dedicated community and developer/publisher support that Steam offers. Please focus on improving instant streaming

Actually, Tony, you just need to put "Download" in the title - the "Digital" is redundant. Unless Amazon or your competitors offer some sort of analog download service? ;)

Only terrorists say "digital download".

I think this package is a move in the right direction for Amazon, but it still pales in comparison to some of the offerings Steam and even D2D have had lately. For Amazon to become truly competitive within the area of digital downloads, they really need a dedicated team that understands gaming trends and what is currently hot and what's not. I'm not sure if you're that specific person Tony, or a member of that potential team, but I would definitely say this is a step in the right direction.

The biggest issue with this bundle is that it looks good on paper, with people saving 50% on a variety of games, but it's a weak bundle that includes several games that are fairly old and outdated, several games no one will want and not any one particular game that presents itself as an incredible value that really "makes" the bundle. This is a great value for anyone who has never been on Steam, however anyone familiar with digital downloads will know that most of these titles could have been found in the past for substantially less than their current sales price on Amazon.

Being a fan of Amazon.com and a dedicated gamer, I'm always willing to throw out personal recommendations on ways to compete more directly, so if I can ever be of assistance Tony, feel free to PM me.

[quote name='etcrane']I think this package is a move in the right direction for Amazon, but it still pales in comparison to some of the offerings Steam and even D2D have had lately. For Amazon to become truly competitive within the area of digital downloads, they really need a dedicated team that understands gaming trends and what is currently hot and what's not. I'm not sure if you're that specific person Tony, or a member of that potential team, but I would definitely say this is a step in the right direction.

The biggest issue with this bundle is that it looks good on paper, with people saving 50% on a variety of games, but it's a weak bundle that includes several games that are fairly old and outdated, several games no one will want and not any one particular game that presents itself as an incredible value that really "makes" the bundle. This is a great value for anyone who has never been on Steam, however anyone familiar with digital downloads will know that most of these titles could have been found in the past for substantially less than their current sales price on Amazon.

Being a fan of Amazon.com and a dedicated gamer, I'm always willing to throw out personal recommendations on ways to compete more directly, so if I can ever be of assistance Tony, feel free to PM me.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the feedback, and the offer to provide more. You'll find me soliciting more of it over the next few weeks/months.

Stay tuned :).

Cheers,
Tony

[quote name='martyback']Game genres are so stretched today that adventure here is obviously referring more to the literal connotation of the word, not the genre itself (which in its purest form is point-and-click).

Seriously, worst thing to nitpick here.[/QUOTE]

The Amazon Dude asked for an opinion on the title "Adventure Pack", so I decide to give my opinion and go into detail to explain it.
[shrug]

[quote name='MysterD']The Amazon Dude asked for an opinion on the title "Adventure Pack", so I decide to give my opinion and go into detail to explain it.
[shrug][/QUOTE]

Haha, sorry about not responding to this earlier guys! I appreciate both comments here and I'm happy to receive all kinds of feedback. It helps us, as a team, figure out what we're going to call things.

One of the things I'm really enjoying about this community is how responsive you are with your feedback.

By the way, I'm about to post a 20% off Dead Island and Warhammer 40K deal, feel free to fire away with feedback on that as well!

Cheers,
Tony - "The Amazon Dude"

[quote name='Amazon DVG Deals']Haha, sorry about not responding to this earlier guys! I appreciate both comments here and I'm happy to receive all kinds of feedback. It helps us, as a team, figure out what we're going to call things.

One of the things I'm really enjoying about this community is how responsive you are with your feedback.

By the way, I'm about to post a 20% off Dead Island and Warhammer 40K deal, feel free to fire away with feedback on that as well!

Cheers,
Tony - "The Amazon Dude"[/QUOTE]

Probably gone wait a while for major price-drops Dead Island and Warhammer 40K: Space Marine down the line... [shrug]

bread's done
Back