Amazon Download - First Deal of The Week - Help Me Decide What We Offer

Amazon DVG Deals

Official Representative
Feedback
4 (100%)
Hi CAGs,

*Edit: I have created a Deal of the Week thread. Please move all conversations on this topic there. Unless you have formed an attachment to this thread, in which case I'm happy to continue talking with you here :).

Click here to check it out.

Thanks for helping to build our first Deal of the Week.

Ok everyone after listening to all of your feedback, I've come back with the following deal of the week selection:

80% off bundles:

Jagged Bundle: $3.99

1. Jagged Alliance 2: $2.99 individually
  2. Jagged Alliance 2: Unfinished Business: $2.99 individually

War Games Bundle: Price: $14.99

1. 688I Hunter Killer: $5.99 individually
  2. Dangerous Waters: $4.50 individually
  3. Combat Mission: Beyond Overlord: $2.99 individually
  4. Ubersoldier 2: $2.99 individually
  5. Razor II: Hidden Skies: $2.99 individually
  6. Death to Spies: $2.39 individually

Disciples II Gold Edition: $1.99 this is a single download that includes:

1. Dark Prophecy
  2. Guardians of the Light
  3. Servants of the Dark
  4. Rise of the Elves
  5. Plus 5 New Bonus Quests
Amazon's Choice Bundle: $27.99

1. Ninja Blade 8.99 individually
  2. Dark Fall: Lights Out - Director's Cut Edition 5.99 individually
  3. Gods: Lands of Infinity: $5.99 individually
  4. Puzzle Kingdoms 5.99 individually
  5. Warrior Kings: Battles 5.99
  6. Robin Hood: The Legend of Sherwood 2.99 individually
  7. O.R.B. 2.99 individually
  8. Port Royale 2 1.49 individually
  9. D.W.A.R.F.S. 1.49 individually

Additional Individual Games Available a la carte for 70% off:

1. Emergency 3: $2.99
  2. Flatout: Ultimate Carnage: $5.99
  3. Death to Spies (mentioned above but specifically requested so i am listing again: $2.39)
  4. Sacred Gold: $2.99
Hope the new format makes it easier to ingest the information!

Cheers,
Tony

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the revised bundle choices, and how it's now easier to pick and choose and it no longer seems like a monolithic block of games with no other options.

I do suggest that you edit the OP with the new details for everyone who clicks on the thread, sees the old $70 bundle, then leaves, instead of seeing the improved choices.

Much better setup, IMO, than what was posted in the OP! Having smaller and cheaper bundles is definitely the way to go, and I think it'll be beneficial to both us gamers and your bottom line.

My backlog is pretty massive right now, so I'm not sure if I'll be snagging any of these (gotta save money for your AAA release deals ;p ), but there's a lot of value to be had for anyone looking for some good variety. These would also be great "netbook games", as most don't have very high system requirements. If I still had my lappy, I'd probably grab a few for sure.

Its a bit late, but I would just recommend from my experience in the trading section that if youre going to do a list of games, its best to give it a quick alphabetic sort first. All it takes is a copy and paste into Excel, sort, copy and paste into notepad and then into the forum post.

1914 Shells of Fury
688I Hunter Killer
9th Company
A.I.M. Racing
Adam's Venture
Air Raid
Alien Blast
Alpha Zylon
Amsterdam Street Racer
Ankh 2: Heart Of Osiris
Ankh 3: Battle Of The Gods
Ascension to the Throne
Baseball Mogul 2008
Bill Lee Out Of The Park Baseball
BorderZone
Brigade E5: New Jagged Union
Call for Heroes: Pompolic Wars
Combat Mission: Beyond Overlord
Cuban Missile Crisis: The Aftermath
Culpa Innata
D.W.A.R.F.S.
Dangerous Waters
Dark Fall: Lights Out - Director's Cut Edition
Dark Fall: Lost Souls
Darkness Within 2: The Dark Lineage
Darkness Within: In Pursuit of Loath Nolder
Dawn of Magic 2
Death to Spies
Death Track: Resurrection
Desert Gunner
Dimensity
Disciples II: Dark Prophecy
Disciples II: Gallean's Return
Disciples II: Gold Edition
Disciples II: Rise of the Elves
Ducati World Championship
El Matador
Emergency 3
Exodus From the Earth
Flatout: Ultimate Carnage
Galactic Dream: Rage of War
Gods: Lands of Infinity
Hazen - Episode 1: The Dark Whispers
Hellforces
Hover Ace
InLaws: Episode 1
Ironclads American Civil War
Ironclads High Seas
Ironclads: Schlewig War 1864
Jagged Alliance 2
Jagged Alliance 2: Unfinished Business
Mashed
Mutant
Ninja Blade
O.R.B.
Pathologic
Perimeter 2: New Earth
Port Royale 2
Puzzle Kingdoms
Razor II: Hidden Skies
Robin Hood: The Legend of Sherwood
Robofriends in Splush Trouble
Sacred Gold
Space Empires 5
Stalingrad
Steel Fury: Kharkov 1942
Tortuga: Pirates of the New World
Ubersoldier 2
Vegas Make it Big
Warrior Kings: Battles
Xing Texas Hold'em Poker

[quote name='foreinter']I am new to the Amazon digital download thing. Can I play the downloaded game from Amazon on Steam?[/QUOTE]
First of all, you don't need to say "digital", as ALL download games are downloaded digitally. In fact, all video games are digital - even those that you buy on DVD. Download distribution is sometimes called digital distribution because you're not purchasing something physical. But game downloads are never called digital downloads. It's redundant (to put it politely).

As for Amazon's download service, some games need Steam, and they are effectively Steam games. You buy them, you take the key, and you put it into your Steam client. Steam does everything else. Amazon just gives you the key.

Other games download through Amazon's downloading service, which is small and does the job. They then install on your PC as if you had the disc.

Any game more than a year or two old is unlikely to require Steam, but more recent games (Dawn of War II: Retribution, Fallout: New Vegas, Brink, and upcoming games like Rage) are also Steam-only games - no matter where you get the key, it's a Steam key and the game needs Steam.

Be aware that Steamworks games are Steam games that support additional Steam features (such as achievements), but not all versions of Steamworks games are Steam games. For example, The Witcher 2, bought at retail or a non-Steam download site, is not Steamworks and does not require Steam. However, the Steam version does have achievements.

Finally, ALL GAMES ARE COMPATIBLE WITH STEAM. If a game does not require Steam, you simply install it as normal, and then use Steam to "Add A Non-Steam Game To My Library". It will not log how many hours you have played, and you cannot install/uninstall it through Steam, but it will be in your Steam library.

Tony-

Thanks for asking for feedback. As a long time PC gamer, I am concerned with DRM, and won't buy a digital title if the DRM is unknown or hidden from the end user. If there's any way that the type of DRM (SecuROM, Tages, etc.) in games could be listed on the product page, I would consider buying. I notice some games have "internet connection required for activation" and other such disclaimers, but no hard info on the type of DRM included.

Also, for me (and seemingly a lot of others, as I go through this thread), GIANT bundles are usually a bad idea. If it's a company I like, I will usually already own a few of their games, so I skip large bundles. Individual title sales and smaller bundles are a good idea.

My only criticism (a large $70 bundle isn't very appealing) seems to have been addressed by breaking into smaller, more bite-sized chunks. Thanks for listening to the feedback. I'm not sure I'll personally partake in this sale, but more sales like this for other publishers would be very, very tempting.

Welcome to CAG!

[quote name='Lawyers Guns N Money']Tony-

Thanks for asking for feedback. As a long time PC gamer, I am concerned with DRM, and won't buy a digital title if the DRM is unknown or hidden from the end user. If there's any way that the type of DRM (SecuROM, Tages, etc.) in games could be listed on the product page, I would consider buying. I notice some games have "internet connection required for activation" and other such disclaimers, but no hard info on the type of DRM included.

Also, for me (and seemingly a lot of others, as I go through this thread), GIANT bundles are usually a bad idea. If it's a company I like, I will usually already own a few of their games, so I skip large bundles. Individual title sales and smaller bundles are a good idea.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the feedback on the bundles. The DRM solution messaging is something I will pass along to the team responsible for getting that messaging on the page.

[quote name='JustYourAverageJoe']My only criticism (a large $70 bundle isn't very appealing) seems to have been addressed by breaking into smaller, more bite-sized chunks. Thanks for listening to the feedback. I'm not sure I'll personally partake in this sale, but more sales like this for other publishers would be very, very tempting.

Welcome to CAG![/QUOTE]

Thanks! You'll definitely continue to see me soliciting feedback from this group, both proactively and re-actively. I definitely won't be running a survey like this every week or for every deal, but I don't think this will be a one time thing either.

Thanks again everyone.

Cheers,
Tony

I must say I have zero interest in PC gaming outside of the occasional MMO and the Ultima series, but I am impressed by the level of interest you have taken in the community and how you seem to take the suggestions to heart. Even though I will probably never buy another PC game I applaud you for your efforts.

I won't comment on this deal as that has already been discussed very throughly. I would like to suggest a selling "gimmick" since there are now a lot of digital sale sites and it is getting more difficult to stand out. Let's be honest, it is very hard not to always want to purchase from Steam as users like it for the community, great sales and friends list. Great discounts will help a lot but will not make people buy from Amazon necessarily in the future.

My suggestion would be doing something similar to Gamersgate for purchases (they give back blue coins) like giving a permanent discount that grows over time say up to 15-20%. Marketing could figure out how many dollars spent would be required to get to each "tier" discount rate. The normal discount and the tier discount could easily sway more people to purchase from Amazon. Currently if you are just price matching Steam, people will still usually pick Steam because of the love for the Steam client. Have a permanent Amazon rep is a great start as well. It is just good advertising especially when you want feedback on upcoming sales. Keep up the good work! Hopefully I can take advantage of these deals in the future (Canadian).

[quote name='ZombieToast']For what it's worth, some of us are more inclined to buy a game if it DOESN'T use Steam.[/QUOTE]

Certainly true; and I can respect that. But c'mon, you gotta admit you're part of a very small minority.

[quote name='mattcube64']Certainly true; and I can respect that. But c'mon, you gotta admit you're part of a very small minority.[/QUOTE]
I wouldn't really know, actually. I've seen about five people on here specifically say that they won't play PC games unless they are used with Steam. And I know plenty of folks who are anti-Steam like me, which is a result of a huge debacle involving the software and forums a couple of years ago. To me, it seems like most people are basically indifferent. But although I haven't quite seen it first-hand yet, you're probably right about me being a minority when it comes to this. I am accepting that merely because it seems like my opinion usually is in the minority. Which of course makes me feel like the whole world is nuts. Heh.

It would be cool if they did a pack of games that could be activated on steam. Like noting but steam works, amazon gets its money, we get to use steam Win-Win!

[quote name='TheHelix']If Amazon had a digital download of Age of Wonders, I would buy it.[/QUOTE]

Check out *ahem GOG.com ahem*

And now back to an Amazon discussion as I like them very much too :)

Tony,

As a long-time Amazon customer, I appreciate your involvement here, as many of the other CAGs do as well. I now check the Top 100 PC downloads at Amazon every week looking for deals.

However, I have only ever purchased three download games from Amazon, compared to dozens (or hundreds?) of physical and Steam games. Like many here, I prefer Steam access whenever possible, so it will be hard for even Amazon (my favorite retailer) to break that near-monopoly. At this point I have been trained to wait for the Steam semi-annual sales, for the most part.

I have seen Amazon try to match those sales when they happen, and have come close to purchasing through Amazon on several occasions. Unfortunately, when we are talking about a digital product, things like customer service and shipping speed (I am a Prime member) don't matter, so Amazon will need to do more than match the sales, which will be tough.

The idea of doing bundles is a good one, and I look forward to seeing more about this, e.g. with a greater variety of titles. I would also recommend making sure that download pricing continues to be visible through your API, so that sites like CamelCamelCamel can deliver price alerts to me. I have come to depend on such alerts for physical and download purchases.

Thanks again!

Editing initial post as well. I just want to remind everyone that in approximately 4 hours (1:30PST) the deals on the front of this thread will be our first deal of the week! Get any last minute feedback in before then.

If I've missed something you asked for specifically make sure to remind me, so I can at least respond as to why it isn't there (although I think I caught everything).

Cheers,
Tony

Tony,

By calling it the "Deal of the Week" one would assume that it will run until next Tuesday at the earliest? Or is there still some fuzziness around how long deals run?

[quote name='kayatai']Tony,

By calling it the "Deal of the Week" one would assume that it will run until next Tuesday at the earliest? Or is there still some fuzziness around how long deals run?[/QUOTE]

The deals will run for 1 week. When this specific deal launches (and thus the program), depends on a few logistical things over here, which I'll be working on today and tonight.

I will have a solid "This is when this deal is running and ending" message to you sometime this week though.

Does that answer your question? Sorry for the fuzziness.

Cheers,
Tony

[quote name='Amazon DVG Deals']I will have a solid "This is when this deal is running and ending" message to you sometime this week though.

Does that answer your question? Sorry for the fuzziness.y[/QUOTE]

Good enough for me, I know people like to plan these things, so the dates can be beneficial.

EDIT: Last thought is that you should probably edit the title.

Thanks.

[quote name='kayatai']Good enough for me, I know people like to plan these things, so the dates can be beneficial.

EDIT: Last thought is that you should probably edit the title.

Thanks.[/QUOTE]

Awesome...in regards to the title, what are you thinking I should change it to?

[quote name='Amazon DVG Deals']Awesome...in regards to the title, what are you thinking I should change it to?[/QUOTE]

Here is a good format for Thread Title....

[Game Name] [platform(s)] [Price] [Date]

For First post...

1) Game name, game description (optional), platform, price, dates, link

2) FAQ

[quote name='Amazon DVG Deals']Awesome...in regards to the title, what are you thinking I should change it to?[/QUOTE]

"Amazon Download - DotW - Strategy First Games 70% off, 80% off bundles"

Or highlight a bundle like JA2

Also adding links would be great when it goes live, and probably appreciated by CheapyD for the referral stuff.

It's good to see a regular sale is being planned. I check Amazon a lot, but I don't always know when sales are planned unless I check here or just get lucky. If there were a pre-determined start/stop time for sales each week then I could make it a point to check.

You can see how addicted people are to checking daily sales, weekend sales, mid-week sales, etc at other sites.

I'm late to the thread, but here's my input.

1) stick to fewer GREAT games instead of spray-and-pray with crummy titles; they dilute the message.

2) Short, big 75% sales on single games bring visitors to your site. Like Steam's daily deal, which ensures at least one visit from me every day to Steampowered.com. If you get website visitors for big, brief sales, you can market other smaller deals.

3) Big bundles are a DOWNER. Odds are good that I'll have one or two of the bundle games already, which negates the value of the bundle. Thank you, though, for doing dual-pricing: bundle for 70%, individual games for 50%. GOG does this too and it's a WINNER. (However, it's unlikely that I'll ever buy a game for just 50% off, unless it's newer than 3 months. Steam has taught me to wait 6 months for 75% off, and work my long backlog of OTHER games while I wait.)

4) Can't say it enough - thank you for coming and talking to us.

5) How about daily or weekly email that's just about your DD games? Take a good hard look at the Amazon Gold Box emails and then do everything different. Don't put kitchen blenders and bathroom scales and Dawson's Creek box sets in an email that is supposed to be about preordering Skyrim. A nice, short email that mentions a handful of game deals, including a AAA game and an indie game each time, and *maybe* some deals on controllers, PC memory, and video cards if they're really good deals. Keep it tight.

6) Daykain's ideas above are unique to this conversation, so I'm quoting him here:

[quote name='Daykain'][...]there are now a lot of digital sale sites and it is getting more difficult to stand out. Let's be honest, it is very hard not to always want to purchase from Steam as users like it for the community, great sales and friends list. Great discounts will help a lot but will not make people buy from Amazon necessarily in the future.

[Discussion of Blue Coins system at GamersGate]
[/QUOTE]

What GamersGate is trying to do is develop a community, like Steam has. Nobody will catch Steam's community any time soon, but GamersGate is taking steps to make their platform more than just a store. In the past 6 months, they've gone from being a very small DD player to a huge one, by 1) bulking up their library with big titles, 2) BIG and FREQUENT sales, 3) community features. I liked them before, now I LOVE them. They are getting that good karma going like Steam has. Can Amazon create a community with value-added features that do nothing for your bottom line, yet generate goodwill in the PC gaming community? Think big picture, here. Everyone here knows what Amazon is, and most of us already love you for your prices and convenience for books and music. But we don't yet think of you as a gamers community. Buying a DD game from Amazon is like a one-night stand, then we slink back to our best girl, named Steam.

Okay that's enough for now. Thanks for listening. Can't tell you how good it feels to be able to talk to someone who cares about developing a relationship with us.

[quote name='utopianmachine']Oh, I never liked that. It doesn't show that you're playing it or how much time you've spent with the game. It just sits in your library, looking like a game you've never played.[/QUOTE]

Did you get the info you needed, here? It does show that you're playing your game. your Friends list status will show "utopianmachine playing non-Steam game 'Sam & Max'", or whatever you're playing. You can name it whatever you like, in fact. Point being, you can still show off the games you have to your steam friends.

You can Ctrl-Tab out of your game into the Steam overlay to check in with your friends, just like in a Steam game.

You are correct that steam doens't track the hours you've spent in a non-Steam game. It also doesn't allow you to write recommendations for game you didn't purchase through Steam.

But it works. I actually get a lot of feedback from my Steam friends when I play something that's not on Steam - they all ask what it is. Kinda neat.

Here are my thoughts on how Amazon can improve their digital download store.

- Don't try to beat Steam at being Steam. Steam is already Steam. Most people are happy with it and don't want to scatter their digital downloads among many different stores unless they have good reason to. That being said...

- Sell Steamworks games at lower prices than Steam is selling them for AND make a point of advertising that these games will register on Steam. Most digital download stores seem to be under some mistaken impression that announcing a game is a Steamworks game is giving more business to Steam and so they downplay this and bury it in fine print or vague wording ('requires a 3rd party download etc).

Steam has the majority of digital download users however those users WILL buy a game from you if it registers on Steam and is cheaper than what Steam is selling it for. Greenmangaming has done a good job of making this a selling point but no one else has.

- Digital downloads aren't just about sending a game across the net. Users want services. Amazon has cloud space for its users. Why aren't the digital game downloads making use of this for game saves? Autopatching is also a huge convenience yet even after all this time Steam is the only one who does it.

- Leverage advantages and find niches that Steam doesn't have. Amazon has an Android app store. There are a lot of Android phones out there and there are some apps that have crossover into PC digital downloads. Right now if I want to play Plants Vs Zombies on my PC and then later pick it up on the go on my phone or tablet I can't start from where I left off because the saves are different.

If I could get a synched shared save that let me easily continue my games from the PC on the go this is a feature that I would be willing to venture away from Steam to get. Steam already does this with unified Mac and PC versions of some games, but being able to bring your casual PC games over onto mobile is a great advantage. Obviously this would need a cloud save feature to work though.

i know it's a long shot.. because it's an old game and anybody that REALLY wanted it already played it..

but i'd LOVE to see marvel vs capcom 2 digital code for PS3 go for sale at $6.99

i'm normally against the digital distribution movement but i'd definitely make an exception for this game :p

[quote name='kayatai']Was this supposed to go live @ 1:30PM PST today?[/QUOTE]

No, I'm sorry, I thought I'd cleared this up. In an earlier post I let everyone know that I needed feedback by 1:30 today so I could build back end stuff out for the promotion.

I'll be announcing WHEN this promotion is going live later today.

Editing original post to make this clear.

Cheers,
Tony

[quote name='Amazon DVG Deals']No, I'm sorry, I thought I'd cleared this up. In an earlier post I let everyone know that I needed feedback by 1:30 today so I could build back end stuff out for the promotion.

I'll be announcing WHEN this promotion is going live later today.

Editing original post to make this clear.

Cheers,
Tony[/QUOTE]

Sorry was a misunderstanding based on your earlier comments and in the initial post ". I just want to remind everyone that in approximately 4 hours (1:30PST) the deals on the front of this thread will be our first deal of the week! "

No big deal, just not used to seeing everything come together as a work in progress. Thanks for working on this.

Awesome stuff, especially in regards to Jagged Alliance 2 and the wargames. Looking forward to picking some of these up as soon as I research a few of the titles.

The only tip I can give is to stick some better games in there. Maybe it's just me, but core games are my thing. If it's something I've never heard of, I'm usually not going to fork up $20 on a bundle of games I've never heard of just because it's 80% off.

Just wanted to agree with everyone in that we're glad to have you here and active. I think that one need only check the Kmart gamer thread to find that a mutually beneficial relationship is very possible. Welcome, and again, I second the Steam key-able games being lovely, the Wii-ware titles lovelier, and loveliest of all would be if you could land download rights for Grim Fandango, Full Throttle, X-Wing/Tie Fighter, and the complete Quest for Glory series (I won't hold my breath, but won't complain if you get them).

Personally I dont see much interest in those games. Ive been pc gaming since when all you had was text based games and the introduction of muds. So when I look at those games I see that I have played most of them, having played them I honestly wouldnt want of them even for free simply because they arent that good. A few gems in there aside its mostly just garbage. So I wouldnt buy a thing on that list personally. Especially considering its download stuff, I detest digital games and only buy retail games aside from the rare exception.

Most of that stuff is the same crap that used to sit on spinner racks at gamestores or flea markets for 2.99 each in those jewel cases.

If I were you Id load them all into one damn dirt cheap bundle for 3 bucks and just get rid of that stuff because your not going to sell it that stuff like your trying to now, no one wants that stuff because the few games in there that are decent you can find on gog.com which no offense intended here but they are more deserving of my money and need my money more than you.

Amazon just keeps getting cooler and cooler letting the gamers decide what should be on sale. Now we just need someone to let us decide a ps3/360 game of the week and we are all set :p

[quote name='dmdragon']Amazon just keeps getting cooler and cooler letting the gamers decide what should be on sale. Now we just need someone to let us decide a ps3/360 game of the week and we are all set :p[/QUOTE]

I'm affraid of this. CAG has changed me from a casual video game player to a video game collector. If amazon comes here putting together killer deals I may just have to sign over my check to amazon... Looks like my son, seven, will just have to drink Bosco for dinner for a while.

[quote name='gargus']Personally I dont see much interest in those games. Ive been pc gaming since when all you had was text based games and the introduction of muds. So when I look at those games I see that I have played most of them, having played them I honestly wouldnt want of them even for free simply because they arent that good. A few gems in there aside its mostly just garbage. So I wouldnt buy a thing on that list personally. Especially considering its download stuff, I detest digital games and only buy retail games aside from the rare exception.

Most of that stuff is the same crap that used to sit on spinner racks at gamestores or flea markets for 2.99 each in those jewel cases.

If I were you Id load them all into one damn dirt cheap bundle for 3 bucks and just get rid of that stuff because your not going to sell it that stuff like your trying to now, no one wants that stuff because the few games in there that are decent you can find on gog.com which no offense intended here but they are more deserving of my money and need my money more than you.[/QUOTE]I love this guy, he works at a Comic store and knows it all. Neck Beards unite. Clearly the education I received at Ross School of Business and the education the OP received must be outweighed by your "comic store hard knocks" you've been through. I digress though, continue your back seat moderating and terrible advice giving in between breaks to Taco Bell or telling some kid that 80's Batman was waaaayyyy cooler.

[quote name='gargus']I detest digital games...[/QUOTE]
You hate... video games? You do realize that Cheap Ass Gamer is about finding discounts for video games, don't you? If you're looking for discounts on monopoly boards, softball bats and other analog games, you'd probably be better off at another site. ;)

[quote name='PenguinJim']You hate... video games? You do realize that Cheap Ass Gamer is about finding discounts for video games, don't you? If you're looking for discounts on monopoly boards, softball bats and other analog games, you'd probably be better off at another site. ;)[/QUOTE]

Well done lol :)

I know I'm way out of the conversation at this point and stopped a few pages in... But, I don't get why people hate the idea of dl games anywhere but Steam, the Steam client isn't THAT great and you can add any game you own to launch from Steam so you can pretend you bought it from there (you just don't get Steam achievements if there are any).

[quote name='gargus']Personally I dont see much interest in those games. Ive been pc gaming since when all you had was text based games and the introduction of muds. So when I look at those games I see that I have played most of them, having played them I honestly wouldnt want of them even for free simply because they arent that good. A few gems in there aside its mostly just garbage. So I wouldnt buy a thing on that list personally. Especially considering its download stuff, I detest digital games and only buy retail games aside from the rare exception.

If I were you Id load them all into one damn dirt cheap bundle for 3 bucks and just get rid of that stuff because your not going to sell it that stuff like your trying to now, no one wants that stuff because the few games in there that are decent you can find on gog.com which no offense intended here but they are more deserving of my money and need my money more than you.[/QUOTE]

Do you like anything? Whether its games, women, roaches, or free stuff, you sure do have a lot to complain about.

It's great to see that there are reps in the industry that will ask the opinion of actual gamers,but honestly none of these games are looking too palatable to me. Nobody has time to play a whole bundle of small games that they don't really like.

[quote name='JKSonic']I know I'm way out of the conversation at this point and stopped a few pages in... But, I don't get why people hate the idea of dl games anywhere but Steam, the Steam client isn't THAT great and you can add any game you own to launch from Steam so you can pretend you bought it from there (you just don't get Steam achievements if there are any).[/QUOTE]

In my case, if there's a great deal ton a game that I'm interested in on another online store, I'll usually bite. That said, I'd much rather buy it on Steam if possible though, and sometimes I'll wait for a game to go on sale on Steam if the deal at another store is not absolutely incredible. The reason is simply that it's so much easier (and neater) to have all your game in one, easily accessible location. Buying from many different stores is like having your Music or DVD collection spread around in different rooms throughout your house. It's simply much more convenient to have everything on one neatly organized shelf. Furthermore, if you wait long enough, Steam is pretty much guaranteed to have every game they carry available at an extremely good sale price at some point.

That said, I'm totally for other companies having download services, and I do use Dircect2Drive and Impulse from time to time (or I did, until Gamestop bought it up). Competition is always good for the consumer. What I absolutely hate is when big companies like EA, Ubisoft, and Microsoft, decide they need to have their own stores, and then *in some cases) take their games off Steam to promote their services. I can't stand how every game nowadays requires some stupid fucking application to run the in the background. You can't just start a game anymore, you have start Rockstar Social Club, or Games for Windows Live, or Ubisoft's piece of shit, and then you have layers upon layers of overlays and shit to get through before you even get into the game. It's just ridiculous. I understand none of this is really a valid argument FOR Steam, because steam is one of those applications, but the difference is that Steam was the first and steam has become a standard. The individual publishers' stores just need to ignored so that eventually they'll all die and maybe they'll stop doing this stupid shit.

The revised edition looks a little better, most of those dont really appeal to me =\ I think most people are looking for good bundles/bargains for some of the more popular games out there.

As far as these being digital I have no problem with it, im here to get games I will play, not horde crap so I can turn a profit or get a small amount re-couped from what I paid. Id rather just pay alot less up front :)

Ill stand by for next week's deal and see if it's more my cup of tea.

bread's done
Back