AMAZON Ear Force DSS 7.1 Channel Dolby Surround Sound Processor for $69.99

So I have a question.

I have a pair of X31's. I can't use it right now because my 360 is connected via HDMI and I don't have the extra audio cable needed to connect the X31 to an hdmi 360.

Would these eliminate that issue? That is, would I just have to connect my X31 to the DSS and the DSS connects to the 360 and do the rest?

just wanted to chime in that these work great!! I have it hooked up to my 360 slim optical out, + Senn HD555... omg so sick. Amazon PM'd bestbuy.com btw.

@Soulreaver - not sure I get your question but the DSS needs an audio cable from the Xbox 360 itself. So either you have the audio plug that you plug into back of your xbox (if it's not slim) and that cord has an TOSlink optical = HDMI so it can fit. Then the TOSlink goes into DSS and your x31 should be able to plug into the DSS if it has the 3.5mm plug. I don't know much about the x31... sorry if I'm confusing.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/937899

something like that. If you have the new 360Slim it has a built in TOSlink which makes things easy.

[quote name='SoulReaver']So I have a question.

I have a pair of X31's. I can't use it right now because my 360 is connected via HDMI and I don't have the extra audio cable needed to connect the X31 to an hdmi 360.

Would these eliminate that issue? That is, would I just have to connect my X31 to the DSS and the DSS connects to the 360 and do the rest?[/QUOTE]

This would not fix your problem. The good news is, you only need to spend like $8.50 for an optical audio adapter. I use and recommend it.

http://www.buy.com/prod/new-optical...le/q/sellerid/23962916/loc/108/216999213.html

I've got the exact same setup as aznguyen316 (with the Senn's) and can concur that it sounds absolutely amazing! Setting them up with the 360 slim is incredibly simple with the TOSlink cable that is included with the DSS.

I also have my x31's hooked to the DSS too, and you are correct in describing how they connect to the DSS. The DSS is fucking amazing! Highly recommended.

^ hell yeah JDMoney! I had wanted to get the Astro Mixamp but since the Voice isn't a HUGE factor for me, the mixing on that wasn't worth the premium in cost. The DSS is small, light, and easily transportable. I'm planning on taking it home with me on xmas break to show to my buddies who just have their Senns hooked up to the headphone jack.

It's quite funny I used to have the Senns hooked up via headphone jack and thought that was badass, boy now I can't go back to that with the amp... sickkkkk

SO... If I have my X11 wired headphones hooked up right now, and I LOVE them... would this make a HUGE, moderate, or not so much difference??? I keep debating on the DSS because I love my X41's so much... What's the opinion on this?

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='UberNinjaz']Surround sound headphones? Haha oh wow, lots of people with loose wallets here.[/QUOTE]

I've paid a total of $0 for all my Amazon credit through a flip here and a flip there... If it costs me nothing, I get to buy whatever I want without guilt...

And I used to think the same thing about people that bought these headphones, etc... Now that I have a pair, I know that they're right. They completely change the way you game.

I'm so gonna buy this. I really didn't want to spend $150 on a new set with the 'ol X3's are still kicking good (although the material is starting to break down and peel away) so $70 to give this a try (can always return if I'm not happy with it) then I"m going to spend like $15 on spare parts at the Turtle Beach website so I can keep these going for a bit longer.

[quote name='UberNinjaz']Surround sound headphones? Haha oh wow, lots of people with loose wallets here.[/QUOTE]
I used to not understand the appeal but I realized I never actually get to crank my surround sound speakers up to high because there are others living in the home and if I move into an apartment I also won't be able to crank them up. A good set of headphones can get me better sound that I don't need to crank to get directional clarity.

[quote name='SoulReaver']So I have a question.

Would these eliminate that issue? That is, would I just have to connect my X31 to the DSS and the DSS connects to the 360 and do the rest?[/QUOTE]

In addition to what everyone else has said. you may be able to use an optical out from your display.

In one of my setups I have the ps3 and xbox passing audio to the display via hdmi. I then use the optical out for headphones.

Yeah, I'm not really following here. You have a 5.1 source being sent to two drivers, so you're still getting stereo sound.

[quote name='Easystride']Anyone try these on blurays? I ordered the Dss to go with my new AD700s.[/QUOTE]
This only decodes Dolby Digital, not DTS-Master, Dolby TrueHD or even uncompressed lossless audio so they'd be useless with Blu-rays and HD-DVDs.

I'm thinking of getting these, but I don't have any headphones to use. What do people recommend for good sound and the ability to be able to chat. I know a friend who uses a headset for his Xbox, and he says the game volume is always too loud to hear anyone over chat. So, what headphones will have a standard quality, will work for chat over the Xbox (and be able to hear the other people), and is as cheap as possible. Also, I am considering wireless, but the price may dissuade me.

Also, this is probably a dumb question, but will this work with any audio equipment, like earbuds, because I might buy these now and invest in a good pair of headphones later.

I can't find the actual dolby headphone test on the dolby site anymore, but this should give you an idea of what headphones sound like with dolby headphone (the tech they use in the mixamp and dss).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUrk2W_r5fc

It's basically a virtual surround sound.

As for headphones, generally people are saying the turtle beaches, specifically the PX21s. My friends have been saying that they sound better than trittons. You can control the bass. You can control the levels of the ingame sound and voice. As for wired vs wireless. I generally stick with wired because of the quality and not worrying about interference from other wireless devices which can cause noise.

I actually bit on the DPX21 bundle (includes DSS and PX21) at B&H $134.99 shipped. Pretty much same price as getting them seperate on amazon. Though I'll have to wait until tomorrow to actually hear them for myself.

wait, so if I buy a unit that comes with the DSS processor (say that DPX21 for the PS3 - which I don't have headphones for) then if I could handle switching the cords when needed, I could use it for my 360 headphones as well? this keeps getting more interesting!

yeah seems like that DSS is just a universal unit packaged in. IDK, to make it work with both PS3/360, means I need two sets of USB and Optical cables, one set to always be unplugged ready to be switched out. Knowing me, at 10pm at night, after a few drinks, fumbling around with connections by my LCD TV is probably not the best idea..this does look sweet, but at half the price of X41's that handle it right out of the box..i just don't know..

[quote name='token2k6']yeah seems like that DSS is just a universal unit packaged in. IDK, to make it work with both PS3/360, means I need two sets of USB and Optical cables, one set to always be unplugged ready to be switched out. Knowing me, at 10pm at night, after a few drinks, fumbling around with connections by my LCD TV is probably not the best idea..this does look sweet, but at half the price of X41's that handle it right out of the box..i just don't know..[/QUOTE]

you should read my above post. if your display has optical out (most do) you only need one connection.

[quote name='paz9x']you should read my above post. if your display has optical out (most do) you only need one connection.[/QUOTE]

hmm, interesting, yeah I missed that post. I tried this once with the red/white pass thru b/c in some post on here somebody said it would work. jacked in straight into the red/white output on the back of my TV and no sound came out across anything, it was weird. went back to passing it thru normally with component 360 cables and it worked.

I could do the optical out on my TV, but am already using it to send sound to by Sony Soundbar, only way I can get sound on non-HDMI stuff (which is my 360 and Wii at the moment) and last time I checked, optical splitters aren't really that common..

[quote name='token2k6']hmm, interesting, yeah I missed that post. I tried this once with the red/white pass thru b/c in some post on here somebody said it would work. jacked in straight into the red/white output on the back of my TV and no sound came out across anything, it was weird. went back to passing it thru normally with component 360 cables and it worked.

I could do the optical out on my TV, but am already using it to send sound to by Sony Soundbar, only way I can get sound on non-HDMI stuff (which is my 360 and Wii at the moment) and last time I checked, optical splitters aren't really that common..[/QUOTE]

check for an optical out on your soundbar. I dont have any experience with soundbars, but my AVR has an optical out as well.

[quote name='paz9x']you should read my above post. if your display has optical out (most do) you only need one connection.[/QUOTE]

Things may have changed, but until recently, many display optical outputs did not provide surround bitstreams like DD5.1 EXCEPT for TV sources (e.g. ATSC).

[quote name='token2k6']optical splitters aren't really that common..[/QUOTE]

I have one and it works, for the most part. I have one decoder that does not recognize the signal from the splitter, either because of the splitter itself or the two cables between the source and decoder. Other products work fine, however, indicating to me a low-quality optical receiver (or lack of amplifier) on the decoder.

The setup is: console optical outputs connected to an A/V switch, the A/V switch optical output connected to the splitter, one of the splits goes to the home theater receiver, the other goes to the headphone decoder (e.g., MixAmp). That way, I can use the home theeater or the Dolby headset (depending on time of day) without switching cables.

[quote name='grap3fruitman']
This only decodes Dolby Digital, not DTS-Master, Dolby TrueHD or even uncompressed lossless audio so they'd be useless with Blu-rays and HD-DVDs.[/QUOTE]

Although the first part is true, it's not useless. Just like using it for gaming it simulates a 5.1 dolby surround very well. Comparable (same) as the Astro mixamp. The thing is, don't forget it is an AMP. Get a great set of headphones i.e. the ATH AD700 or the HD555/595 and with the DSS the sound is much better than simply the headphone out jack from the TV. You still get directional sound and with clarity and fuller, rich sound.

I used the DSS to watch Inception on Bluray earlier this week connected w/ the HD555's (I have a couple of TOSlink cables I just swapped them from the 360 to BD player). I could NOT pull off the sound without an Amp that I heard while hooked up to the DSS. The scene where Leo + Ariadne are at the cafe and the fruit explodes etc is incredible amped up on the cans, the base toward the end was rumblin', I know the drivers wouldn't have been powered well enough with the DSS to make that sort of bass punch. Why am I using this setup? B/c I rent an apartment upstairs and a 5.1 or 7.1 is not feasible.

[quote name='aznguyen316']Although the first part is true, it's not useless. Just like using it for gaming it simulates a 5.1 dolby surround very well. Comparable (same) as the Astro mixamp. The thing is, don't forget it is an AMP. Get a great set of headphones i.e. the ATH AD700 or the HD555/595 and with the DSS the sound is much better than simply the headphone out jack from the TV. You still get directional sound and with clarity and fuller, rich sound.

I used the DSS to watch Inception on Bluray earlier this week connected w/ the HD555's (I have a couple of TOSlink cables I just swapped them from the 360 to BD player). I could NOT pull off the sound without an Amp that I heard while hooked up to the DSS. The scene where Leo + Ariadne are at the cafe and the fruit explodes etc is incredible amped up on the cans, the base toward the end was rumblin', I know the drivers wouldn't have been powered well enough with the DSS to make that sort of bass punch. Why am I using this setup? B/c I rent an apartment upstairs and a 5.1 or 7.1 is not feasible.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info. I'm in a similar situation as you, so a surround sound system is unfortunately out of the question. It is good to hear that the DSS has some benefits with movies.

Does anyone know where I can get USB-to-AC power adapters for this cheap? turtlebeach.com is charging me $19 (about $10 plus $9 S&H) and I would like to know if there is a better solution as I want to hook this up to my TV since switching between consoles all the time will be a pain in the ass.

[quote name='djricekcn']what does this thing do, emulate 7.1 (or 7 channel minus bass) on a stereo headphone?[/QUOTE]

Basically yeah as well as an amplifier. But you don't want to use this with any random headphones but high quality audiophile ones. A few have been listed in this thread that are very commonly used. Also headsets can be hooked up too.

[quote name='djricekcn']what does this thing do, emulate 7.1 (or 7 channel minus bass) on a stereo headphone?[/QUOTE]

Most of the "surround" sound headphones out there now a days arent actually surround sound and they just emulate it. Very few headsets are actually true surround sound, the Tritton AX Pros being one of them. Astro A40s and Turtle Beach X41s/X31s are just simulated surround sound, they only have 1 speaker in each ear, thus making them stereo. But how they simulate surround sound is by using some technology Dolby made up called Dolby Headphone. It is explained here:
http://www.dolby.com/consumer/understand/enhancement/dolby-headphone-details.html

I have the DSS and i have it hooked up to my Tritton AX180s. They actually work very well and I can tell the difference from my plain AX180s. I did not use the optical cable that came with the DSS, I bought another one off of amazon. The DSS should work with pretty much anything you can hook up to a headphone jack.

[quote name='sK1LLzk1LLz'] The DSS should work with pretty much anything you can hook up to a headphone jack.[/QUOTE]
This is true.

bread's done
Back