Amazon email scam alert

snookie_wookums

CAGiversary!
Recently Amazon started sending me emails confirming purchases — for things I never bought. My first reaction was this might be a phishing scam of some sort, so I ignored the emails. Then more came, and I got really concerned, so I contacted Amazon customer support, only to have them tell me that another user has signed up using my email address as their account name.

When I asked the customer support rep how this could happen, they suggested that I change my email address in my account. After trying to explain to the rep that this would not solve the problem — since the emails are coming to at my genuine email address — I spoke with a "manager" only to get an apology that there was nothing they could do about this.

I have no idea what to do but to complain to the FTC, but this seems a bit extreme since it was probably simple idiocy on the other user's part, but Amazon — the only party that can really solve this problem — is either unwilling or unable to do anything about this.

Is this a known issue for other Amazon users? If so, how is everyone else dealing with this?"

Umm that doesn't sound right. If someone tries to use your e-mail account to sign in and make purchases, then they have your log in information. Change your log in information immediately and then contact the credit card/debit card that was used for these purchases and inform them of the situation.

The analyst in me has to ask, but does anyone else have access to your Amazon information or account? Children, spouse, friends, relatives, etc? Have you had a party or some other social gathering that allowed people you may not have known into your residence at some point? Where are the purchases/items being sent to? Are they being delivered to your home address or to another address? This is a critical question to ask because it means the difference between what we call "family fraud" or actual fraud. If the items are going to your home address then someone in your house or someone who has your information is making the purchases. If they are being sent to another location, inform Amazon and call your local authorities because you could be a victim of identity theft or fraud.

BUT, you need to change your log in information ASAP! PM me if you have any other questions or need any other information/help. I used to work as a fraud analyst in a major bank so I know who to call and what your next steps need to be in just about any situation.

I think the issue is that the OP doesn't have an Amazon account. For example, suppose my email address is [email protected] and I never registered at any online store. Then suppose some Joe Schmoe in another state creates an Amazon account, but accidentally uses my email address as his login (suppose his email is asdff but he forgot the last f).

The OP will continue to get Amazon confirmation emails even though he never registered with the website since the other guy is doing the purchasing. The only issue is that the person who created the Amazon account is screwed because they will never be able to access the OP's email. I don't think this negatively affects the OP in any way except for the fact that if he ever does want to create an Amazon account, he can't use his email since the other guy already used it.

It sounds like Kendro is right, but the OP would have to confirm that.

In any event, it's very negligent that Amazon won't help you. This may be worthy of Consumerist.com

[quote name='Kendro']I think the issue is that the OP doesn't have an Amazon account. For example, suppose my email address is [email protected] and I never registered at any online store. Then suppose some Joe Schmoe in another state creates an Amazon account, but accidentally uses my email address as his login (suppose his email is asdff but he forgot the last f).

The OP will continue to get Amazon confirmation emails even though he never registered with the website since the other guy is doing the purchasing. The only issue is that the person who created the Amazon account is screwed because they will never be able to access the OP's email. I don't think this negatively affects the OP in any way except for the fact that if he ever does want to create an Amazon account, he can't use his email since the other guy already used it.[/quote]

Ah ok. After reading it again, your explanation makes sense. Yea I guess the OP is kinda screwed then.

Pretty sure the OP is leaving a crapload of info out as he would have had to confirm the account being created. If somehow someone using his email did make an account simply follow the forget a password link and enter your email address.

It will send you instructions to create a new password and the other guy will never be able to use the amazon account ever again.

Don't you have to confirm your email when you sign up? See if there's an opt out link on the email.

I do indeed have an Amazon account, and the login name is my email address. After a few more days of thinking about how this crap could have happened, here's what I have sussed out: that other guy whose name is pretty close to mine mistyped his email address when he signed up with his account name being very close to mine. I'm getting all his purchase confirmation emails, and since I don't have any idea what his real email address is, I CAN'T DO ANYTHING TO FIX THIS.

Amazon at least has his other contact information, but their Indian goons that they hire to man their customer service lines don't have a glimmer of a clue on what I'm talking about, and are as stereotypically dumb-as-dogshit as you could imagine.

I will be filing a complaint with the BBB today. Thanks for the input CAGs.

Hold up. If you already have an account tied to your e-mail address, this other guy wouldn't be able to create an account with your e-mail address. It would bounce him back, saying that there is an already an account with that address. Something doesn't make sense here.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']Hold up. If you already have an account tied to your e-mail address, this other guy wouldn't be able to create an account with your e-mail address. It would bounce him back, saying that there is an already an account with that address. Something doesn't make sense here.[/quote]

Thank you, that's what I was thinking in the first place.

To the OP, log into your Amazon account and see if the items are being charged to your credit card and/or being shipped to you or somewhere else. Also, I still think it would be a good idea to change your log in information.

I have had this in the past with other sites and it was some sort of scam. They wanted me to log in with the link they gave to correct the issue only to take my log in and password so they can get into my account. Like someone else said log into your account and make sure what is showing up in your email is not showing up on your account. If you need to contact amazon over the phone and make sure they don't have anything being sold in the email. I know you said you told them of the issue but just make sure that they have on record that what is showing up in the email that you orderd that you did not order it. Do not log in with any link they give you.

Is it possible to have an Amazon account that is not your existing email address? I really don't know, but I thought the account name always had to be your email address and whatever password you want. According to the Customer Service goon in India, there was indeed another person using the same login name but he had a different password. This sounded totally ludicrous, and I went through the roof when she asked me to change the email address associated with my account.

She also had no idea how this happened, and was less than helpful, as you've read.

This other person's name and home address are sent to me as part of the confirmation email, and all I'm missing is his phone number to contact him to tell him about this, but imagining the tables turned, I'd be alarmed to say the least if someone called me with the story I'm describing here. I honestly don't know what to do other than file the BBB complaint, so that's hopefully going to help.

This still isn't really adding up. As others have pointed out, your e-mail address is your login. I can't see how Amazon would somehow allow two accounts with the same e-mail address, but different passwords. Say that were possible, then this would mean every whenever this other person with the similar e-mail address logged into his account to place an order, they would have to enter the wrong e-mail every single time.

Thanks for the replies. It's a bizarre problem, and I was looking to see if it happened to anyone else. Apparently not, so hopefully the BBB will have an ability to help.

bread's done
Back