Amazon/GS: Playstation 3D Display w/ Motorstorm & Resistance 3 - $500

I'm still trying to figure out if this is just a monitor (VGA and HDMI only) or an actual TV (TV signals, and additional inputs such as composite, S-video, and component). If it's just a monitor, I don't want it.

[quote name='boylover']I'm still trying to figure out if this is just a monitor (VGA and HDMI only) or an actual TV (TV signals, and additional inputs such as composite, S-video, and component). If it's just a monitor, I don't want it.[/QUOTE]

It's just a monitor, no TV tuner is on board. It has 2 HDMI inputs and 1 Component.

Thank you. As long as it has a component input (for PS2, Wii, and other older systems), I'm on board. I'll sell the two games to get some extra cash back, as I have no interest in playing either of them.

I have a 24" monitor in my office right now, and it is just TOO SMALL. I wish Sony would have released a 40" or 50" instead of just 24".

Size is definitely relative to how far you're sitting from it and the size of your room to an extent. I game currently in my relatively small bedroom and I only sit about 2-3 ft from my 22" pc monitor and it's more than big enough for me at that distance. This obviously wasn't meant for those looking for a home theatre or anything.

I have a small room and a 42" tv. I'm looking for a 50" to replace it. Bigger is better with 3d and a 24" wont cut it.

[quote name='poker360']For those unfamiliar with the difference between active and passive:

Passive 3D essentially splits the resolution of the 3d images in half, and uses two different lenses.

Active 3D, on the other hand, has technology in the glasses, and keeps full resolution of the 3D image on screen. The glasses repeatedly blink back and forth (very very fast) to give you a full resolution 3D image.

More tv's now a days are using Passive since it's cheaper, but Active is truly the best for quality.

I personally have no intentions on buying a 3D TV, although i cannot deny this a a great deal for an active 3d television.[/QUOTE]

Just wanted to add a little information onto what you said. While the passive 3D tv's take a hit on the resolution they are much better for your eyes. Granted the active 3D tv's aren't going to make you blind or anything the shuttering effect causes strain on your eyes because it flickers the image that your eyes are seeing. The passive displays don't have this problem because both your eyes are always able to see an image on the screen.

[quote name='ssjmichael']Size is definitely relative to how far you're sitting from it and the size of your room to an extent. I game currently in my relatively small bedroom and I only sit about 2-3 ft from my 22" pc monitor and it's more than big enough for me at that distance. This obviously wasn't meant for those looking for a home theatre or anything.[/QUOTE]

You're right. During the E3 presentation, they mentioned it is good for dorm gaming or people with limited space. That's pretty much the main group this deal is targeted at.

[quote name='poker360']Are you talking about this: (or something along these lines?) http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Samsung...HDTV/2135072.p?id=1218310760716&skuId=2135072

Your comparing a 51" 720P Samsung Plasma (that is outdated and very low end) passive 3d display.

The 24" is 1080p ACTIVE 3D Display WITH active 3D glasses (which will retail for $70), includes TWO games (which will probably be retail $80 - 100 around the release of this TV), and an HDMI cable.

So lets say:

Playstation 3D Display 24" - $330 - $350ish
Resistance 3 - $50 or $60
Motorstorm - $20 or $30
3D Glasses - $70
HDMI Cable - $10

For those unfamiliar with the difference between active and passive:

Passive 3D essentially splits the resolution of the 3d images in half, and uses two different lenses.

Active 3D, on the other hand, has technology in the glasses, and keeps full resolution of the 3D image on screen. The glasses repeatedly blink back and forth (very very fast) to give you a full resolution 3D image.

More tv's now a days are using Passive since it's cheaper, but Active is truly the best for quality.

I personally have no intentions on buying a 3D TV, although i cannot deny this a a great deal for an active 3d television.[/QUOTE]

There is a total of 3 tv lines that use passive. Active is by far the leader. So I don't know where you got your info. LG LCE/LED is the only line that really uses passive. Let alone the recommended viewing distance to get "good" 3d dimensions is basically up to 2' away from this. 1080p over 720p means virtually nothing besides a number to brag about in under 32" TVs (why do you think you see so little 1080p sets in that range).

I will admit the split screen is cool, but effectively this gives you a 12" screen. I would assume that would be way too small.

Plus 3d, as of right now, is limited to 24fps because of HDMI limitations on 1.4. The HDMI structure can output more, but the it needs revamped again. This will be in HDMI 1.5 which isn't looking all that close right now. Virtually all games in 3d will downgrade to 720p 3d because that is the only way that it can achieve a stable >24fps in 3d over HDMI 1.4 (30 fps is the low end of fps before the images start messing up in various ways).

Even after all you have to look at black levels (mll) and contrast, how it handles motion and gamma/color accuracy. I have seen many 1080p TVs look much worse than 720p TVs.

I would just inform you to look into what you are buying when you look to purchase this.

This tv, while having good paper specs, is just too small for it's specs. For those that are thinking about it, just save up and wait for a sale. I got the panasonic 50" st30 for $939 with a $150 amazon GC and the avatar bundle (2 3d glasses and avatar 3d, avatar 3d sells for $100+ on eBay which I sold).

This wasn't the best deal out there a while ago either.

[quote name='Jimmienoman']I will admit the split screen is cool, but effectively this gives you a 12" screen. I would assume that would be way too small. [/QUOTE] Did you see the videos on the previous page in the thread. How do you come up with 12" for the split screen? Its one screen showing two images at once.

[quote name='nightmare452']Did you see the videos on the previous page in the thread. How do you come up with 12" for the split screen? Its one screen showing two images at once.[/QUOTE]

He's saying that it will give each player 12 inches of the screen to work with

But that's not true either, you should see the full 24" screen for each player. It actually uses the new SimulView or whatever method to do the split screen through the glasses (IIRC you'll have to buy the second pair at $70 MSRP too, as the TV bundle only includes one pair) which means games have to be coded to use the feature, it's not going to work with older titles.

[quote name='strait edge follower']He's saying that it will give each player 12 inches of the screen to work with[/QUOTE]

The whole point of the split screen feature is to give every player the full 24" from their perspective
He's also wrong about 3D only being limited to 24fps

This is actually a good deal and 3D gaming kicks ass...if I didn't already have a 58 inch 3DTV id probably get this...I don't need 2 3D displays...also motorstorm rocks in 3D

[quote name='Psybuster']But that's not true either, you should see the full 24" screen for each player. It actually uses the new SimulView or whatever method to do the split screen through the glasses (IIRC you'll have to buy the second pair at $70 MSRP too, as the TV bundle only includes one pair) which means games have to be coded to use the feature, it's not going to work with older titles.[/QUOTE]

I've never heard of these glasses before, sounds awsome ! Thanks for the info

Ahhh, all of the complaints reminds me of all the Dell Ultrasharp monitor deals on SD.

One thing to remember is that big screen TVs generally have more input lag than PC monitors. That's one big reason why console gaming tournaments still use PC monitors.

[quote name='Thongsy']I'll wait to hear the specs on this tv/monitor and what type of panel it has if it's ips or tn.[/QUOTE]

Sony uses VA panels instead of IPS.

[quote name='paddlefoot']My first question would be whether or not it is able to run (and accept inputs) at 120hz like a BenQ, Asus, or Dell 3D monitor. Those displays run $340-$400 without the glasses or games.I don't think this is an earth-shattering deal, but it is likely a solid value depending on the technology.[/QUOTE]

I don't think it is going to be true 120hz. For anyone confused about this, no current TVs are true 120hz. They take a 60hz input signal and insert interpolated frames. There are PC monitors that take true 120hz but are all TN and generally doubles their cost.

Here is what I got from quick Google search.
http://www.mytechvoice.com/sony-unveils-24’’-3-d-monitor-at-e3-293.html

[quote name='poker360']Are you talking about this: (or something along these lines?) http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Samsung...HDTV/2135072.p?id=1218310760716&skuId=2135072

Your comparing a 51" 720P Samsung Plasma (that is outdated and very low end) passive 3d display.

The 24" is 1080p ACTIVE 3D Display WITH active 3D glasses (which will retail for $70), includes TWO games (which will probably be retail $80 - 100 around the release of this TV), and an HDMI cable.

So lets say:

Playstation 3D Display 24" - $330 - $350ish
Resistance 3 - $50 or $60
Motorstorm - $20 or $30
3D Glasses - $70
HDMI Cable - $10

For those unfamiliar with the difference between active and passive:

That linked Samsung is a current year model TV using active 3-D. There are no Samsung TVs using passive 3-D. All Samsungs are active 3-D.

Passive 3-D is not old technology. It's new for consumer TVs and as far as I know, only Vizio, LG, and Toshiba offer it. There are rumors Sony and Samsung may follow next year. Passive 3-D may likely take over active 3-D due to the cost of the glasses being much cheaper.

IMHO, a 24 inch screen may not be big enough to give the desired effect of 3-D. I wouldn't bother unless it's 46 inches (maybe 40) and up.

Paying 500 for a 24 inch screen is not a deal. Prices are coming down and you're much better off going with something like the 51 inch Samsung when it's on sale.

This thread is filled with ignorance and naiveness. It's not the size that matters for the most part. It has to do with a number of variables including quality of all the components such as the panel. There are 24 inch pc monitors that cost well over $2,000. The cost difference between an 'A' rated panel and a lesser rated panel is substantial. also the type of panel can be large cost difference.

I'm getting one. Two player offline co op with out the split screen is totally worth it. Do any other tv's do this?

I agree with what the other people said, $500 is not a deal for something like this.
If it was $300 Im sure some people would say its a good deal and I might have bought it - but at $500 - there is nothing to talk about really.

At MSRP $500 it self might not be a good deal, but if it comes with Resistance 3 and I will can get the game in September it will be a great deal. Amazon has now added Resistance 3 as bonus, but I have no idea when they will send it out.

Also this monitor is supposed to have some new lag free technology, so it'll be a great portable monitor to bring around for people who play fighting games.

bread's done
Back