Amazon HBO DoTD: The Wire - The Complete Series $81.99

GREAT DEAL
These HBO DoTD's have been amazing. I have bought everything except the sorprano's so far.
What do you think is next? Both seasons of Rome for < 30 ...I can only hope

Just ordered it. Unbelievably happy. Now to regift my copies of Seasons 1 and 2 to my dad or cousin.

I kind of wish I had pounced on that Soprano's deal, but the paycheck hadn't cleared. I've never seen a single episode, and hear it's exactly what I would love, but The Wire is EXACTLY what I love, so I'm content.

Yeah, I picked mine up in December when it was $89.99 for the series. BEST SHOW EVER. If you haven't had the pleasure, you owe it to yourself to watch at least the first season of The Wire. You will get hooked.

I've heard so many good things about this show that I couldn't resist passing up a deal like this on some great television. I'm sure I won't be disappointed. :applause:

I really want to get in on this but I can't budget, afford, nor have the time to watch through this at any point in the near future. I will have to wait and hope for a similar drop or sale. Counting on you, DD 20% off.

Phenomenal show. Worth picking up.

I'm hoping Amazon will have a deal for Deadwood Seasons 1-3. It's a shame it was cancelled.

Damn it. All I read about is how phenomenal this show is. But I put a spending freeze on myself. Quick, someone buy some stuff off me so I order this. ;)

Has anyone gotten this set and opened it? I heard the packaging is terrible and the discs are easily scratched. Would it be possible to just get some of those paper sleeves to put the CDs in and then put them back in the case, or would they not fit anymore?

[quote name='Junior Asparagus']Has anyone gotten this set and opened it? I heard the packaging is terrible and the discs are easily scratched. Would it be possible to just get some of those paper sleeves to put the CDs in and then put them back in the case, or would they not fit anymore?[/quote]

Yeah, I ordered mine and all of the discs were fine. I went through each disc carefully to ensure that they were okay because I had heard the same thing. I then transferred them into a separate case in order to keep them in the same condition.

Slight scratches and glue spots at worse, if carefully removed its fine. During the BB sale I grabbed mine and watched it over a two week period and they all played fine. Omar Little, greatest character in tv history!

[quote name='gdemander']Yeah, I ordered mine and all of the discs were fine. I went through each disc carefully to ensure that they were okay because I had heard the same thing. I then transferred them into a separate case in order to keep them in the same condition.[/quote]

Well that's good to hear. Maybe I will order this then. The price is certainly right.

Do you think the discs would still fit in the box if I put them in a sleeve first?

Wow this is tempting. The Wire is next on my list of must watch shows but I'll probably just DL a season at a time...

Woo-hoo! I was actually remarking just two days ago that I was annoyed at missing out when it was $90. This, obviously, works out nicely.

My only issue is that I'm a bit OCD when it comes to packaging, and I don't particularly trust Amazon after how mangled my Shield season 6 set was. For $81, though, I can't pass it up.

[quote name='Ultiam']I couldn't resist passing up a deal like this on some great television[/quote]

Wait, so did you pass up the deal or not?

[quote name='JLazzuri']Wait, so did you pass up the deal or not?[/quote]
No I didn't. I guess the way I worded that was a little confusing :oops: That's what I get for trying to think logically before 8 in the morning.

I love the show and I wanna buy it but the packaging sounds atrocious from the reviews I've read so I'm going to pass on it. I'd rather have the individual seasons than scratched up disks (or disks that I have to put in other cases so they don't get scratched).

I've had no problem with the packaging of this DVD set. The discs seem secure to me, and as long as you remove and replace the discs carefully during normal use, I see no need for any extra protection. I can understand erring on the side of caution with an $80 item though.

Seeing that confirms my suspicion that the season 1-5 set my roommate ordered from some random internet site is a bootleg version.

Yeah, my Season 2 and 3 cases aren't even glued properly. Discs slip off the case, but work fine. I hate these sets that use cardboard pockets to hold the discs (Friends Complete Series). The packaging is good in theory, but end up looking like it's put together by preschoolers.

The Wire is the best show ever on TV. Everything in this show makes sense. There are no holes in the plot (cough Sopranos cough). This is a show that doesn't insult the viewers inrellegence. If you are on the fence, just buy it. I'm in for one even though I have seen every episode like 10 times.

This is such a great show! The packaging really sucks! I got mine at Best Buy and many discs (at least 8) have slight scratches. Nothing that has affected play so far, but still annoying. I would suggest investing in a CD case for the discs, as I know I will never put them back in those sleeves for even more scratches.

Still, at $81.99, I would still get this. 60 episodes + extras! The individual sets are still $40 to $50 each new. I really wish Amazon would have sold off the old sets at a sweet package price. Why couldn't they just package this in a similar way to "Six Feet Under"?

I jumped on this too. I've never seen the show or even a clip from it, but what I've heard about it (via NPR) and read about it, it should be awesome. First time I've ever bought a complete series having never seen a single episode. I doubt it will disappoint though.

There's nothing that can compare to this show. The characters are fully developed and the storyline makes the audience think more than anything else out there. It's probably the most rewarding watch to those who pay attention. It's a shame that not everyone follows this show, but I think that it's pretty difficult considering that it's mandatory for audiences to watch from the very beginning without missing an episode--making dvd viewing the perfect way to follow this awesome story.

this is an awesome deal! i told my friend who is addicted to the show and he's picking it up! i hope the packaging doesn't ruin this for him.

Thats a badass deal!
cool.gif

For the people that have never seen an episode but bought the series, after the first few episodes you may feel like you have no idea what is going on. You may feel like nothing has happened and that you're wasting your time. By the time the season is over though, you'll know exactly why you watched every episode.

if you have never seen this show, BUY THIS SET. trust me. just trust me. I remember how the first season alone cost $80 five years ago.

[quote name='ItsTrueItsTrue92']For the people that have never seen an episode but bought the series, after the first few episodes you may feel like you have no idea what is going on. You may feel like nothing has happened and that you're wasting your time. By the time the season is over though, you'll know exactly why you watched every episode.[/QUOTE]

Perfectly put. I do however find it hard to convince friends that a show they've never really heard of is really worth shelling out money for (especially for this great deal). I tried showing the first episode to a buddy and he's confused as hell. It took a push for me to continue, but once I hit episode 3, I was hooked. The storyline of season 1 was intense as hell.

I felt discouraged at the beginning of season 2 once they introduced the focus on the docks (a stark contrast to the streets of season 1), but I realized by the end of the season that I liked it even more than season 1.

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']If I didn't have four hundred dollars in auto repairs, I would have gotten this in a Sonic Second. But I guess I'll wait. :/[/QUOTE]

Sell the car!!! j/k

[quote name='lukewin']i just bit, was hesitating a bit, hope it's worth it[/quote]

each season is a book and every episode is a chapter. make sure you read all the chapters in a book if you feel like it isn't your thing at first. trust me.

bread's done
Back