Amazon HD-DVD player purchasers - Check your email! $50 code!

Pookymeister

Staff member
Feedback
736 (100%)
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Dear Amazon.com Customer,[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]As someone who purchased an HD DVD player from us before February 23, 2008,* you might like to hear about a special offer available from Amazon.com.

New technologies don't always work out as planned. We at Amazon.com value our customer relationships more than anything and would like to support customers who purchased these players by offering a credit good for $50 off any products sold by Amazon.com.**
[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Just use code kjhlkjhliuhkhkhk when checking out. The code is valid through April 9, 2009, so you have plenty of time to use your credit. Purchases from third-party merchants on our site are not eligible.[/FONT]

Not sure if they aren't on top of this as best buy isn't but UPS left my first one on the porch and it was stolen, Amazon sent a new one and it did have a new order number. Wonder if i'll get two. "Fingers Crossed for errors"

I hope I get this. Does this apply to only the HD-DVD add on purchase or all HD-DVD player purchases prior to the February date?

Wow. . .it just hit me. . .after all of this debacle. . .I've ended up with Heroes S1, Transformers and 300 on hd-dvd as well as 15 more free hd-dvds by mail, and 2 xbox 360 hd-dvd ad-ons for a net total of $20. (oh yeah - and 2 copies of King Kong on hd-dvd. . .)

I wish Circuit City followed Best Buy and Amazon. I bought the 360 Add-On early on....I did get a good deal on it though. Oh well....at least my other one I got at Best Buy will give me a gift card :)

Looks like us HD DVD supporters ending up winning after all....I mean, practically free upconvertering players and movies has to be some kind of win.

Oh wow I thought I had to use the code today.

I ordered Dark Messiah 360 and 3 $20 B2G1 blu-rays for a total of $20 out of pocket. Awesome considering I only spent $50 on the HD DVD add-on!

[quote name='shrike4242']Emailed Amazon.com and they sent along a code in less than an hour.[/quote]

Amazing.

Looks like amazon.com will continue its #1ness in the CAG Polls.

Didn't get the email, so I emailed Amazon customer service with the order number from the HD-A1 I bought in November 2006, and they responded within 30 minutes, saying they had put a $50 credit in my account. Pre-ordering Batman Begins and National Treasure/Book of Secrets 2-pack Blu-rays, after 10% discount, cost me $3.95 total. Gotta love Amazon...

i e-mailed them and they said it was in my account...and upon checking...it's not in my account :( great :( i've had a ton of hassles with their customer service but i know it's not their fault and i still order billions of dollars worth of crap from them anyways lol

[quote name='Toaster Driver']i e-mailed them and they said it was in my account...and upon checking...it's not in my account :( great :( i've had a ton of hassles with their customer service but i know it's not their fault and i still order billions of dollars worth of crap from them anyways lol[/QUOTE]

It only shows up during the payment portion of the checkout. It won't appear under gift certificate amount.

Haven't received the e-mail yet, but I bought both the Xbox-360 Add On back in August plus the Toshiba A3 in December.

I'm not very patient, so I'll be e-mailing them right now asking for my $100. Good news!

[quote name='neonglow']It only shows up during the payment portion of the checkout. It won't appear under gift certificate amount.[/quote]

i went all the way to the last step of checkout...no credit :(

Haven't got my email yet for a HD-DVD player I bought last November. But I'll give it until tomorrow. Still waiting for my 2 $50 gift cards from Best Buy too...

It's great customer service and a great customer friendly policy that these stores are following. So the next format war of Iridium Ray and Ultra-HD-DVD doesn't look so bad. :)

My e-mail was waiting for me when I woke up this morning. I'm gonna have to hold onto it, since I'm not exactly tingling at any of the deals I'm finding on Amazon currently. Awesome to have free $50 to spend on Amazon though. :D

Nice, Amazon. I guess this is an initiative most B&M stores are doing (Amazon being the first online retailer participating) in response since IGN just did a story on it. Wal-Mart is doing something similar, only suckier, giving you the $50 GC only if you return your HD-DVD player and you provide a valid receipt.

So can the code be applied to an existing pre-order? Anyone try that?

Its pretty obvious at this point that the rebates are coming from toshiba so is circuit city just gonna hang on to this rebate money or are they gonna actually man up and pass it back to the consumer like BB and amazon?

[quote name='RedvsBlue']Its pretty obvious at this point that the rebates are coming from toshiba so is circuit city just gonna hang on to this rebate money or are they gonna actually man up and pass it back to the consumer like BB and amazon?[/quote]

Given that Toshiba lost something like $600+ million already on HD DVD, they are not ones behind this...$50 giftcards are not going to salvage their reputation in this matter. This is 100% marketing/goodwill creation by the retailers, not any kickbacks from Toshiba. While an expensive operation, these efforts are targeted at lucrative segment of CE buyers and is designed more to create the thought of 'retailer X is kick ass...I'm definitely buying my next -insert expensive item here- there'. So rather than spending a ton of money advertising some deal to huge number of people who will not be interested, they are spending a ton of money to small number of people who likely spend a ton of money at their stores to encourage them to spend more and make another visit. Amazon isn't doing this out the kindness of their heart, they are doing to compete with BB for the hearts and minds of CE consumers. I wouldn't expect that CC will follow, given they are hard up for both cash and customers already....Like Toshiba, $50 from CC isn't likely to improve their standing with most customers nor is not giving it likely to make anyone hate them more than they already do.

I bought one last summer. I didn't get an e-mail. So I just e-mailed them. Hopefully I will get either credited or an e-mail. This, coupled with my Amazon $35 GC from Christmas should enable me to pre-order Wii Fit. Now I just need to find a way to get Mario Kart as well. :)

I find it strange that I ordered my 360 addon after the February 23 deadline and even got one. More strange is that I got one before many of the people who ordered one so long ago...maybe they are going from recently purchased back to first available purchases.

[quote name='Fuzi0n']I find it strange that I ordered my 360 addon after the February 23 deadline and even got one. More strange is that I got one before many of the people who ordered one so long ago...maybe they are going from recently purchased back to first available purchases.[/QUOTE]

Dunno about that. I saw another person get one that bought in '06. However, I don't recall if they ended up contact Amazon or not. That might have been why they got theirs sooner.

Got $100 back :) My second hd-dvd player was purchased last month so I was kinda shocked they gave me the extra $50.

Bought my 360 HD-DVD addon back in November of 06. Figured since many people were already receiving their emails and I haven't yet, I just emailed them directly. Got a reply back within an hour with a $50 GC promotional code.

Got my $100 this morning around 1AM.

So I ended up spending $20 on the Toshiba A3 after the price matching and the $50 credit. Spent $130 on the Xbox Add On after the $50 credit. But also received 18 HD-DVD movies including the free HD-DVD deals Amazon was offering and the 10 rebate movies.

Sorry to see the format die, but in retrospect it doesn't seem like that bad of a deal when I consider that I spent $150 for an Oppo upconverting DVD player just a year ago.

I already miss the format tons :cry:

I did however spend the $50 on a Dualshock 3 controller. haha

Too bad it says it wont be shipping till beginning to mid may

wtf

Just got my code... and seeing how House of the Dead 2 & 3 was only 20 I picked it up along with DQM: Joker and the upcoming SNK Neo Geo Collection for about 3 bucks after promo... will use my BB card on Mario Kart Wii

Damn, it won't work on existing pre-orders. Chance missing out on the GTAIV LE goodies (license plate mainly) or use up the $50 and get that set for $39.99? Or just go with the regular version. Hmmm....

I had to email to get my $50. I used it on a pair of Sennheiser CX300's. Figure if i spent $550 on a mp3 player, might as well get some decent headphones for it.

So I ordered the GTA 4 Special Edition with the coupon & cancelled it because I really do not need the extra crap, do you think I can get the coupon back?

EDIT: I sent them an email about it

anomynous,did you try putting something else in the cart again and going all the way to the final check out part? You should have the discount applied back again.

bread's done
Back