Amazon Kindle US Wireless (Refurb) $109.99 FSSS

smoger

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
This morning I found a link on Amazon to refurbed Kindles, went ahead and bought one, and then went on to discover that this is a new low price point as of today.

So, bottom line is you can purchase a Kindle 2 US Wireless model for $109.99 with FSSS.
Link: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00154JDAI/ref=oss_product

Hope this is useful for someone.

BTW this is the same as the "current" gen Kindle except that the wireless only functions in the US. You can of course still USE it in other countries, just load it up beforehand or sync via usb.

This is a pretty good deal. A couple things I always wondered about Kindle though:

1. What if I don't want to buy books for my Kindle thru Amazon? Can I load my own stuff on it easily?

2. What kind of file formats does it read? And can I load *any* books, text, magazines on it or are there limitations?

You definitely do not have to get your books from amazon

i don't know it like the back of my hand but what i can say for sure is there is software out there that will convert nearly any ebook to any other ebook format that you want. (calibre).

i also know for a fact that it accepts PDF files and I believe even .DOC files can be converted(by Amazon's email service) to work with it.

And as for getting that non-Amazon content onto the kindle, you can either do so through USB(mounts like a standard USB drive) or use Kindle's email delivery service(which they charge something like 15 cents/mb for)

i think the only real problem you might run into is based on whatever drm your books have.. and in my experience that's been easy to overcome too(i was able to de-drm a book from barnesandnoble.com to read on my generic book reader app on my android phone)

[quote name='norkusa']This is a pretty good deal. A couple things I always wondered about Kindle though:

1. What if I don't want to buy books for my Kindle thru Amazon? Can I load my own stuff on it easily?

2. What kind of file formats does it read? And can I load *any* books, text, magazines on it or are there limitations?[/QUOTE]

1) Depends. If you mean "can I buy from B&N or Sony's store and use it on my Kindle?", the answer is no unless you break the DRM and convert. If you mean, can I put my own public domain titles and mobi files purchased from Fictionwise, the answer is yes.

2) AZW, TXT, PDF, Audible, MP3, unprotected MOBI, PRC natively
HTML, DOC, JPEG, GIF, PNG, BMP through conversion.

It can also natively read PDF files but it blows since PDF wasn't designed to be viewed on a small screen.

If *any* books = filez, the answer is yes as long as the file is in a format the Kindle can read.

Sporadic: I would bet that those B&N files can make it to the Kindle. As I said I was able to de-DRM in order to read on my phone. so it's not direct compatibility but I don't think it's impossible. I'll verify that I can get that book on the Kindle when it arrives next week and post my findings

[quote name='smoger']Sporadic: I would bet that those B&N files can make it to the Kindle. As I said I was able to de-DRM in order to read on my phone. so it's not direct compatibility but I don't think it's impossible. I'll verify that I can get that book on the Kindle when it arrives next week and post my findings[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I edited that into my post. Breaking the DRM and converting is an option if you are willing to learn how.

[quote name='Sporadic']Yeah, I edited that into my post. Breaking the DRM and converting is an option if you are willing to learn how.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for all the info on the file formats and stuff. I've only ever used my girlfriend's kindle for a short while so I don't know the ins and outs of it yet.

I just discovered instapaper.com which I think will make my life amazing once I have the kindle

[quote name='smoger']Thanks for all the info on the file formats and stuff. I've only ever used my girlfriend's kindle for a short while so I don't know the ins and outs of it yet.

I just discovered instapaper.com which I think will make my life amazing once I have the kindle[/QUOTE]

Keep in mind, those are just the formats that Amazon can convert for you (for free if you email it to your "name"@free.kindle.com address)

You can convert almost any non-drm file to .mobi with Calibre.

http://calibre-ebook.com/

Ordered one to finally upgrade from my Kindle 1. Girlfriend was wanting an e-reader, so now she can just have my old one. Finally checked out a K2 at Target the other day as was impressed by how much thinner and lighter it is than the K1. And the page turn buttons are much better and less easy to bump, unlike the giant button on the K1 that I bump all the time.

Keep in mind that you'll need a case as the Kindle 2's don't come with one (unlike the original model). I went with the M-Edge go since it was $5 cheaper and reviews tended to say it was better than the Amazon case. M-edge prodigy is another nice case, but bulkier, and heavier and $10 more than the go.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ooo, this is extremely tempting. Would make a nice gift for my mom, but I kind of want to wait and see what Kindle 3 is going to offer.

[quote name='gunm']Ooo, this is extremely tempting. Would make a nice gift for my mom, but I kind of want to wait and see what Kindle 3 is going to offer.[/QUOTE]

My guess is it will just have the new e-ink screen that's in the new Kindle DX. So better contrast and a bit faster page turns etc.

I think they'll put out a color screen reader eventually, but probably not until Mirasol or Pixel QI screens are out/cheaper.

Personally I don't really want color in my e-reader since I just use it for novels. I'll get a tablet in the next year or so for big PDFs, comics, magazines etc. iPad is very nice (my girlfriend has one), but I'm holding out for something with a bigger screen to work better for 8.5x11 PDFs etc.

so, I ordered one, came yesterday (Amazon Prime FTW). It was broken, wouldn't take a charge. Called them at 5PM yesterday, the replacement is out for delivery today. Gotta love Amazon.

Deal will pop back if they get a surplus of US (non-global wireless) refurb K2's again. May or may not happen as they may just be clearing old stock getting ready for the Kindle 3 which has been rumored to be announced in August for a while.

i never came back to post that mine arrived, but it did, and i can't detect any difference between it and the brand new one my girlfriend bought about a year ago. ..except hers came with free 2 day shipping.

very happy with my purchase. good luck to anyone waiting for more

bread's done
Back