Amazon: Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard $24.99

That family pack upgrade will do the trick. Thanks for the amazon links saturn.
cagus.smile.jpg

[quote name='n64ra']what's so great about snow leopard compared to regular leopard ?[/QUOTE]

Finally dropped support for legacy/PowerPC processors; much of the code base moved to 64-bit; smaller install size (5 GB less than Leopard); faster; doesn't cost $120 like previous OS X updates.

[quote name='pureheat101']so is this worth $25?[/QUOTE]

Consider that past OS X versions have cost 5x what this does, and those didn't include nearly as many new/upgraded features. You decide.

I read the wiki and it says I "could" upgrade to 10.6 from Tiger, skipping 10.5 altogether. The question is whether or not it would be worth it especially since I only have a 32 bit Core Duo under the hood. :whistle2:k

According to this PC World article, you'll be able to do a full, clean install using the $25 "upgrade" disc. That's awesome because I've not done a clean install on my MacBook Pro since Leopard's initial release.

[quote name='Shangralia2005']I just got a copy from BB for $25. You have to get them to PM BB.com as it rings up $29.99 in stores.[/QUOTE]
Wish I'd have known they were carrying it in stores already - the website says it's available online only, and the store told me Apple locked down retail sales to their own stores for a week.

Single user license = single user. If you want to do multiple computers, you'll need multiple licenses.

Common sense, really.

PS - Apple Store pricematches.

[quote name='JJSP']Single user license = single user. If you want to do multiple computers, you'll need multiple licenses.

Common sense, really.

PS - Apple Store pricematches.[/QUOTE]

not necessarily... with Apple Leopard when it first came out, people were able to use a single user license and install on multiple computers. Shows how much u know dude. :roll:

But i did manage to find out the answer elsewhere. It is possible to install Snow Leopard with a single license version on multiple computers. Doesnt make it legal, but it's possible.

[quote name='AsianInvasion']not necessarily... with Apple Leopard when it first came out, people were able to use a single user license and install on multiple computers. Shows how much u know dude. :roll:

But i did manage to find out the answer elsewhere. It is possible to install Snow Leopard with a single license version on multiple computers. Doesnt make it legal, but it's possible.[/QUOTE]
It's possible to smoke crack in front of a cop too. Doesn't mean we support, endorse, or allow that stuff here either.

um, ok? just saying that it IS possible to install on multiple computers when u said that u cant do it and that u NEED multiple licenses for that to happen. I wasnt condoning anything illegal here, so CALM down.. just letting other forum members know this information. Now smoking crack in front of a cop??? just a dumb analogy man.. im sure u can do better than that, but thanks for the comparison. ;)

[quote name='AsianInvasion']I wasnt condoning anything illegal here[/QUOTE]

Yeah you were, genius. And if $20 to buy the 5-user license over the single is that much of an issue to you, it's time for you to find a new hobby.

[quote name='n64ra']what's so great about snow leopard compared to regular leopard ?[/QUOTE]
[quote name='saturnotaku']doesn't cost $120 like previous OS X updates.[/QUOTE]

lol... what a joke.

should be like a free service pack type of upgrade, $25 is $25 too much

[quote name='saturnotaku']Yeah you were, genius. And if $20 to buy the 5-user license over the single is that much of an issue to you, it's time for you to find a new hobby.[/QUOTE]

letting other people know that it is possible to do doesnt make it illegal, genius.

wow, two idiots ive talked to about this topic.. Im just letting people KNOW as an FYI!

im done debating about this topic.. To conclude:

-$24.99 for Apple Snow Leopard through amazon
- Single user License CAN be used more than once, BUT IS NOT LEGAL TO DO
- Apple Offers a great price to Upgrade.
- Buy a Family License if you need to install on more than one mac computer.

DONE.

[quote name='Koggit'] should be like a free service pack type of upgrade, $25 is $25 too much[/QUOTE]

Snow Leopard is more of an upgrade from Leopard than Windows 7 is from Vista. Even at its cheapest, when MS was running the initial Windows 7 upgrade promotion, it still cost twice as much as what Snow Leopard does.

Bigger update then Windows 7, that's debatable.

Anyway I do generally agree, to people whining that this is a small upgrade are probably new mac users who at most might have upgraded Tiger to Leopard (which was one of the biggest changes).. things like Panther to Tiger were smaller and were full priced.

Second off, it amazes me to see the internet believe honor based licensing works when just about every forum I go to that's talking about Snow Leopard is doing everything they can to rip off Apple to save $20 so they can put it on multiple computers. If you have multiple computers you want to upgrade, do the right thing and pay the extra $20.

[quote name='Boeing 747']Bigger update then Windows 7, that's debatable.[/QUOTE]

no, it is not at all debatable. it is patently false.

[quote name='Koggit']no, it is not at all debatable. it is patently false.[/QUOTE]

Care to back up that assertion that what you get with a Snow Leopard update is more than what you're getting with Windows 7?

And "Macs suck, are too expensive in the first place, etc" are not valid arguments.

Not saying anything bad about Windows 7 itself because it's a very good OS, probably the best Windows ever. But let's not kid ourselves, it's really what Vista should have been in the first place.

[quote name='saturnotaku']Care to back up that assertion that what you get with a Snow Leopard update is more than what you're getting with Windows 7?

And "Macs suck, are too expensive in the first place, etc" are not valid arguments.

Not saying anything bad about Windows 7 itself because it's a very good OS, probably the best Windows ever. But let's not kid ourselves, it's really what Vista should have been in the first place.[/QUOTE]

I'm a proud mac owner but he's right. And besides, you made the original assertion that was never supported with facts. Whereas Snow Leopard is an incremental, mostly under the hood fine-tuning, Windows 7 is a "back-to-the-drawing-board, we messed up big-time with Vista" overhaul.

[quote name='forgot2panic']Whereas Snow Leopard is an incremental, mostly under the hood fine-tuning, Windows 7 is a "back-to-the-drawing-board, we messed up big-time with Vista" overhaul.[/QUOTE]

It's all a matter of perspective. I consider the re-writing of much of Snow Leopard in 64-bit to be a pretty significant change. This is coming from someone who really had no problems at all with Vista; I thought it was decent at launch, and really came into its own with SP1. Win 7, which I'm using right now on both my desktop PC and with Boot Camp on my MacBook Pro, definitely has its improvements over Vista, most notably in lower overall memory usage. However, in my eyes, there's not enough here to justify the high cost of upgrading from Vista, whereas the $25 price for Snow Leopard was well worth it. If MS were to have made the $50 Vista Home Premium to Win 7 Premium upgrade a permanent deal, then that would absolutely be worth it. The current $120 price point is a much harder pill to swallow. The upgrade pricing of other versions is ridiculous. If you want the Windows XP virtual PC mode (also a nice feature), you have to have to have Professional at the least, and that upgrade is $200.

If you think it's worth it, especially if you had bad experiences with Vista, then more power to you.

bread's done
Back