amazon now charging tax on digital stuff

S

starmask2k3

i bought 3 games and all got charged tax and i got this e-mail back because i called CS

Hello,

I'm writing to you regarding the tax charged for your Order ID: 115-8661260-5895438 Order ID: 107-8790498-3393000 and Order ID: 107-8658858-9351419.

For sales tax purposes, electronically delivered products are considered to be shipped to your credit card billing address.

Electronically delivered products typically include e-books, digital music, video downloads, digital games, online gaming subscriptions, digital newspapers, digital periodicals, ringtones and electronically delivered software.

For a list of states where Amazon.com LLC and Amazon Digital Services, Inc are required to collect sales tax, please visit our Tax Help Pages at:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=hp_468512_bid_1598851?no...

Kindle books sold by the publisher are subject to sales tax based on the publishers state tax reporting obligations and the taxability of digital books in those states.

We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Best regards,
Reena. M

Thank you.

Amazon.com

It's not happening in CO, yet, but this will/would severely affect my relationship with Amazon and their digital stuff. I mean, digital!? That would piss me off.

Last edited by a moderator:
yeah they started in NC on february 1st. Since best buy price matches amazon. I might as well just get it immediately via bestbuy. I used to love the no tax :(

Remember, tax is a state by state thing. Other states have been getting charged for digital orders for some time already.

I used to love the no tax :(
Well, you are supposed to declare all tax-free purchases made on your income taxes every year, so effectively nothing is supposed to be tax-free. The laws regarding use taxes are rarely, if ever, enforced.

I brought this up previously in other threads and would usually get admonished for it, not sure why.

cuz tax evasion, like changing location data on the 3ds to avoid paying taxes, is only bad when corporations does it since they are evil. For the common man, it is justice...  haven't you heard, being on a site with cheap ass in its name,  it justify tax evasion, return fraud and all sort of things... stick it to the man! 

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back