Amazon offering Prime for $7.99/month?

FYI

I'm not sure if you can split this monthly prime subscription, but you CAN split the yearly subscription 5 ways, and it can be with ANYONE. I think it says "household members", but I've got mine split to 5 different accounts in 3 different states, and 2 of the people I'm sharing with don't even have the same last name as me. I highly recommend getting 4 friends together and each putting in $16 for the yearly subscription, it is totally worth it.

[quote name='cjenvy']amazon says this is fake and based on the 2 users who confirmed im inclined to agree[/QUOTE]Go find another corner to slang your BS on.

[quote name='crunchewy']I'll stick with $79 a year. $6.58 a month. Plus I pay once and then it's out of the way (for a year).[/QUOTE]

same here, my sub runs out next month I will let it auto renew. The yearly price is still $79 right? the price on it hasn't gone up?

Strange how a question made it into the deals section. In any case, sticking with the yearly membership, but can see how a monthly, but more costly one, would be good for some. But again dont see how its a deal either, just a new option for prime membership.

[quote name='klimb22']Are you trolling me? I just can't believe you sat idle and didn't peek in as a guest from time to time.

In short, a lot of "boo hoo, I'm PRO, been a GS customer for X amount of years, spent X amount of $ and I didn't get a coupon, I'm calling corporate, f*** GS" reminiscent of the $200 PS3 offer from the past. Followed by begging. You get the idea.
A lot of people learned that lesson the hard way on those shared cell phone plans.[/QUOTE]

Oh hahah. I missed that thread cause I never shop at GameStop.

I was also without Internet for 5 days cause of sandy.

Stupid question but when is the best time to start a one year subscription? January 1 or right now in November? I know it is for a full year and largely a matter of preference, but I was curious (kinda like if you prefer your credit card statement to end at the beginning or end of the month).

[quote name='beetlegum']Has anyone noticed a significant drop in their Prime Service? I am regularly ordering stuff that takes well beyond the 2 day shipping to deliver. I noticed more of their items are becoming fullfilled by a third party as well.

I definitely won't pay the equivalent of Netflix streaming price for a year. Prime's streaming selection is quite small by comparison. They haven't added anything new in like 2 months either.[/QUOTE]
Didn't they just add all the Star Trek shows/movies? That's enough (mostly) exceptional content to keep you busy for a year, it lasted me a year and a half.

After creating a account under my wifes name, it shows the trial plus the $7.99 a month option. Maybe my thinking this is only for new customers was right.

I wonder if Amazon plans to extend this to current customers that do not have prime.

[quote name='krashhole']And this must be for only for NEW customers. Only shows me the $79.99 option as well.[/QUOTE]
I have had 2 prime trials one in 2008 and one sept. of this year and I was offered the $7.99 a month deal. My amazon account was created in 2007 so I don't think its for new customers only. I guess if you ever had a real amazon prime membership it is possible you wouldn't get this deal.

Yeah, I had prime for a year and then cancelled. It's all good. I'm not sold on the instant streaming because they basically have the same shows Netflix does. But since I have been paying Netflix $8 a month for streaming only for the last 6 years, I may stick with paying Amazon $8 a month just to take advantage of the free 2 day shipping again. Maybe that would prompt me to actually buy stuff from Amazon again.

nbcnews tech blog says try going to it while logged out or in another browser and krashole if i see another smarky comment for me spending an hour with amazon india to get the info for you guys this morning it will be world war 5

I tried different browsers and it made no difference. Well, you better make that war happen quick because come December 12, 2012....The apocalypse will happen. LMAO

Not a bad deal, Wish I saw this earlier :( signed up last week with the student pricing so I could get some BF/Christmas shopping done but this would have been better, I don't really order too much from amazon itself, but more from the third party ppl. Oh well, Prime instant video isn't so bad! (given the somewhat limited selection)

[quote name='krashhole']I tried different browsers and it made no difference. Well, you better make that war happen quick because come December 12, 2012....The apocalypse will happen. LMAO[/QUOTE]

as much as i think you are a total tool i cant not help a cag in need

you shouldnt have any amazon history on the browser you try and should not be logged in when you use the link

[quote name='cjenvy']went to mozilla and used

http://www.amazon.com/gp/prime/monthly

got it to work[/QUOTE]

thanks. I logged out, and then used the link you posted. that is the only way the 7.99 option would appear for me. I tend to do most of my amazon shoping around the holidays, when the shipping time is more important.

rest of the year when I do buy, I usually just pad orders for the free super saver shipping.

[quote name='irighti']thanks. I logged out, and then used the link you posted. that is the only way the 7.99 option would appear for me. I tend to do most of my amazon shoping around the holidays, when the shipping time is more important.

rest of the year when I do buy, I usually just pad orders for the free super saver shipping.[/QUOTE]

yeah thats what i do but i do so much graphic novel preordering now i dont need to wait for 5 to be on preorder before i pull the trigger

I do have the option, hope it's still there in a couple weeks as I'd rather start my month right before Black Friday so I can use it for all my Christmas shopping.

[quote name='krashhole']How is the prime video service VS netflix?[/QUOTE]

I'd say Netflix is definitely better in terms of library and interface but Amazon has been stepping up its game lately adding a lot of TV shows.

The problem with Amazon is that it also rents/sells movies and TV shows so you'll run into situations where Amazon has the movie you want but it's not included with Prime or, with TV shows, some seasons are included with Prime while others aren't.

Prime Instant Video might not be worth it on it's own but it's definitely a nice bonus for me since I was subscribing to Prime before the video service was added.

[quote name='irighti']thanks. I logged out, and then used the link you posted. that is the only way the 7.99 option would appear for me. I tend to do most of my amazon shoping around the holidays, when the shipping time is more important.

rest of the year when I do buy, I usually just pad orders for the free super saver shipping.[/QUOTE]

Same here. Had to log out, click the $7.99 link, log in and then got to choose the $7.99. This will make black friday and cyber monday sales that much better :)

[quote name='confoosious']Not sure what's going on in that thread.

The problem with Amazon sharing is that if the other person abuses the hell out of returns and sending out "gifts," everyone who shares that account is perma-banned from Amazon. Nobody wants to risk that.[/QUOTE]

I never knew that, thanks for the info. I have been living off of trials and then my girlfriend's silly mistake of not turning off auto renewal for her trial and now she had to pay for a full year. Her blunder is my benefit!

[quote name='bchampnd']I'd say Netflix is definitely better in terms of library and interface but Amazon has been stepping up its game lately adding a lot of TV shows.

The problem with Amazon is that it also rents/sells movies and TV shows so you'll run into situations where Amazon has the movie you want but it's not included with Prime or, with TV shows, some seasons are included with Prime while others aren't.

Prime Instant Video might not be worth it on it's own but it's definitely a nice bonus for me since I was subscribing to Prime before the video service was added.[/QUOTE]Thanks for the information.

O wow thanks. :)

Meh, does not matter. I rather keep the yearly subscription, anyhow. I order stuff from Amazon all the time.

For those asking, while Prime Instant is a nice bonus, it's not good enough to replace Netflix. While there are many shared titles (e.g. Star Trek, Epix deal, etc.), and even a title or two on Prime Instant that is not on Netflix (e.g. Degrassi, Gilligan's Island, Coneheads, etc.), there is a lot more content that is not on Prime Instant that is on Netflix. Also, Prime Instant is missing features, like "Recently Watched", and such.

definitely not a new member, just logged in and sure enough i had the offer for $7.99. cant pass up that deal. one thing im glad to have with their video service is a lot of imdb.com movies arent on netflix but prime has them...so thats a plus.

Since my year of free student Prime, I've gotten 2 renewals at half price. Until that runs out I'll stick with it, since it's about 5 months of the monthly price and I certainly order more off Amazon than that. Plus, padding the $8 Last Story order would have sucked last weekend :] With Prime, it was click and go, didn't miss the deal.

Just wanted to add another big advantage for prime is the free kindle books each month. Easily saved my $50 this year. I justify prime for the shipping and get the movies and books for free.

I am currently on year 3 of the student $40/yr pricing but will glad pay $80 after my 4th year.

[quote name='confoosious']Hmmmm I think I would definitely opt for 7.99 a month around the holidays instead of paying $80 a year.[/QUOTE]

agree, perfect for holiday shopping

Correct me if I am wrong. During lightning deals (most good BF deals are lightning deals), Amazon gives you free shipping even though the item is below $25.

[quote name='Mikaboshi']The link on page 4 worked in incognito mode. Thank you :whistle2:D[/QUOTE]

You're welcome let's just hope some of you folks actually keep the monthly service and don't just dump it after Christmas as this is the option i prefer over 1 lump sum

its not just for "new" accounts since my account is from like 2004 and I am eligible unless you think 8+ years ago is a "new" account.

[quote name='cjenvy']let's just hope some of you folks actually keep the monthly service and don't just dump it after Christmas as this is the option i prefer over 1 lump sum[/QUOTE]

But...isn't that the whole point of buying the monthly version instead of the cheaper full year?? Surely Amazon expects exactly this to happen. They should have just called it "Holiday Prime" for $25 Nov20-Jan15.

[quote name='beetlegum']Has anyone noticed a significant drop in their Prime Service? I am regularly ordering stuff that takes well beyond the 2 day shipping to deliver. I noticed more of their items are becoming fullfilled by a third party as well.[/QUOTE]
No and no. Unless you're ordering on the weekend, they ship out and get it to you exactly when it should be (2 days). Third party fulfillment still ships from Amazon, it's using other vendor's stock that is stored at an Amazon warehouse. It's not like the Marketplace where you're at the mercy of how quickly they can make it to the post office. Amazon has 100% control of it.

[quote name='Kerig']But...isn't that the whole point of buying the monthly version instead of the cheaper full year?? Surely Amazon expects exactly this to happen. They should have just called it "Holiday Prime" for $25 Nov20-Jan15.

No and no. Unless you're ordering on the weekend, they ship out and get it to you exactly when it should be (2 days). Third party fulfillment still ships from Amazon, it's using other vendor's stock that is stored at an Amazon warehouse. It's not like the Marketplace where you're at the mercy of how quickly they can make it to the post office. Amazon has 100% control of it.[/QUOTE]

not really i can see people taking a month or two off over the course of a year so for people who do a ton of preordering this is perfect

bread's done
Back