Amazon Package Possibly Stolen From Doorstop - How Worried Should I Be?

maximumzero

CAGiversary!
Feedback
26 (100%)
So I bought a DSiXL a few weeks back on a whim. Two Sundays ago, the 23rd, my girlfriend was at my place playing around with it and she was having alot of fun with the camera and music functionality, and Photo Dojo in particular.

She works retail as a sales manager at a local Dollar General, and last week she was having a particularly shitty week, primarily because she was having to work extra hours because a fellow manager was taking some vacation time. Knowing this, I wanted to cheer her up with a random surprise gift as I sometimes do, so I bought her a Pink DSi, which came with a choice of a free game, in which I picked The Legendary Starfy.

It shipped out on Monday and arrived at her place on Tuesday, as I activated an Amazon Prime trial. When she got home from work last night I asked her if she received her package. "What package?" she asked.

It seems that, even though her parents were home, the FedEx carrier just left it on her doorstep, assumedly to be stolen by someone in the neighborhood.

I've never had a problem with Amazon in the almost 7 years I've been doing business with them. I've sent them an e-mail about the situation last night, and they said they'll contact FedEx about it. How concerned should I be that I'm out $160+? At this point it's just my word against FedEx's it seems. There's no way for me to prove that I didn't really not receive the package.

Not amazon, but a friend of mine ordered SSF4 from Gamestop.com a few weeks ago. He wasn't home when the package came and the box was not at his apartment door when he got home. Again, not FedEx, but the carrier was USPS. But he had to go through USPS (and wait 21 days for the package to be 'lost'), but he got a check from them a few weeks ago.

Amazon's customer service is really good so you probably won't have any problems getting another shipped out, esepcially if FedEx didn't get a signature. Kind of surprised that Amazon didn't opt to get signature confirmation on the delivery, especially since the order was for more than $100.

[quote name='jchoi']Amazon's customer service is really good so you probably won't have any problems getting another shipped out, esepcially if FedEx didn't get a signature. Kind of surprised that Amazon didn't opt to get signature confirmation on the delivery, especially since the order was for more than $100.[/QUOTE]

i think this depends on the courier. alot of the orders i have made recently from the internet stated delivery confirmation on the status page, but every one of my orders was just left at my doorstep.

Call Amazon. Going through their email system is slow. For anything over $100, I'd call.
I just had my $13 copy of God of War 3 from GS.com become "misplaced". It says it was delivered but we haven't gotten any mail for over 2 days. NEWMAN!!!

Yea call fedex and complain. Same thing happened to my buddy and a $1000 mixer. He complained and the company was going to fire the driver when he gave my friend $200 bucks to drop it. Of course being an idiot my friend accepted. In other words, they take that pretty seriously and if it is Fedex, even more so since that makes them look bad. USPS probably wont give a crap but if you start poking holes in Fedex's credibility they arent going to be happy which will probably make them just credit you or something.

[quote name='Vader582']Call Amazon. Going through their email system is slow. For anything over $100, I'd call.
I just had my $13 copy of God of War 3 from GS.com become "misplaced". It says it was delivered but we haven't gotten any mail for over 2 days. NEWMAN!!![/QUOTE]

Well, since I've already e-mailed them I'm gonna wait for that to be resolved. I don't want two claim tickets being filed side-by-side for confusion's sake.

I wouldn't be too worried. About three years ago my wife ordered a 360 for me as a Christmas present. UPS tracking showed delivered but nothing was on our front porch and I scoured the bushes and pretty much our whole yard (including the creek in the back). I didn't find anything so we called Amazon up. The CS rep immediately put in another order for a 360 for us. A few hours later, our neighbor shows up and said that this package for us was left on their porch.

I called Amazon right away to tell them so they wouldn't send another one.

I was impressed with their service. Of course, it was a few years ago. Hopefully nothing has changed.

I had an XBOX 360 disappear from my doorstep about a month ago. I called Amazon, and without question they sent me a replacement with free overnight shipping. I don't know if it was because they see how much money I spend with them while they were looking at my order history, or their customer service is really just that good, but I couldn't be happier with the way they treated me. Even though you emailed them, just call and they will most likely send you a replacement.

I had a similar thing happen to me, and Amazon just shipped me out another one for free without any fuss.

[quote name='mossman43']I had an XBOX 360 disappear from my doorstep about a month ago. I called Amazon, and without question they sent me a replacement with free overnight shipping. I don't know if it was because they see how much money I spend with them while they were looking at my order history, or their customer service is really just that good, but I couldn't be happier with the way they treated me. Even though you emailed them, just call and they will most likely send you a replacement.[/QUOTE]

Urk, okay maybe I'll call them later.

Called Amazon, per mossman's suggestion. Told 'em the situation, they said it happens, and they're one-day shipping me a replacement.

Okay, Amazon, you've just gained a lifelong customer.

Really?

Why are people who are on this site, ordering things from the internet still acting all paranoid and having zero experience.

Its simple... if they didn't get a signature, they can't prove delivery. Any half-decent retailer will send you a replacement, or a full refund, at worst they will ask you to wait a few days for the package to turn up, or tell you to wait for the UPS/Fed Ex claim procedure to be finalized if its an expensive package (can take 2-3 weeks) . You can be sure Amazon will resend your package in a matter of days.

IF for some reason you purchase a package from a less than reputable retailer and the package doesn't arrive, you file a credit card chargeback and will have the money refunded to you.

As a matter of fact, both of the above procedures are SOOO common, that most people just steal stuff by reporting it not-received. However, doing this more than once or twice WILL put you on the signature-required list at the carriers and possibly the retailers also.

And as a former and probable future CS guy.... I would appreciate it if you all didnt lie about it :D and if you DO lie about it, dont treat me like a moron or carry on like a lunatic, just follow the steps of the procedure.:booty:

This thread made me think of a shipping experience I had with Dell 2 years ago. I ordered a computer (XPS with 20 monitor . . . middling power . . . $1100). A week later, I get an email from my inlaws (about 1 hr. drive away) that a computer arrived from Dell. There address was in my account from a past purchase but all my confirmation stuff for the present order has my present address. (I can't pick it up until the weekend)

As I begin to press Dell about the situation , I'm hoping that I can get a $100 giftcard or something, I run into a brick wall and drop it. 10 days later a second computer arrives at my home address. I never asked for a reshipment and they never offered it to me.

OP if I were you, I would get it sent to my home address and then just give it to her. If someone isn't expecting a package, they probably aren't going to be on the lookout for one, and might not even notice it (if it's not placed in an obvious spot).

[quote name='lolwut?']op if i were you, i would get it sent to my home address and then just give it to her. If someone isn't expecting a package, they probably aren't going to be on the lookout for one, and might not even notice it (if it's not placed in an obvious spot).[/quote]
+1 I agree

This stuff is why I have everything sent from Amazon to work, to make sure someone will accept it and sign for it when delivering it.

I don't like in a bad area, though with anyone walking by your front door and seeing a package on it, they can pick it up and run with it.

If the USPS or FedEx rep marks the package as left without signature, they're liable for it and you can argue with their choice to leave it without signature.

Both times I was sent packages via UPS(one from the EA Store double coupon stacking deal about 2-3 months ago, the other when Gamestop overnighted Red Dead Redemption to me for release day delivery) the ninja courier simply dumped them off on my side porch and either half stashed them behind one of the recycling bins or moved the other bin in front of the box to block it from being seen.

If I really wanted to be a dick, I could've filed lost item complaints with GS/EA/UPS and got the driver in deep shit for just dumping the packages off with no notice whatsoever.

I was home when the EA package was delivered and I heard the THUD on the side porch when he dropped it off, but I was working the primary election the day RDR came out, so I ended up having to scour around by the house to find that one.:roll:

How hard is it to verify it's the right address and ring the doorbell or knock on the door if you see a vehicle in the yard?

[quote name='Lawyers Guns N Money']If FedEx/UPS didn't get a signature, they can't prove it was delivered.[/QUOTE]

^^^THiS^^^ Coming to you from an ExFed driver. Some drivers are just stupid and don't give a shit, I used to actually make an effort to conceal deliveries if I was leaving it w/o a sig. It's up to Amazon to decide whether the package requires a signature or not, which they usually never did. It's a dead giving away for someone walking down the street when they see that box smiling back at them.

I am shocked that they didn't ask for a signature. I've had to sign for multiple things from UPS/FedX... and had to sign for them, being only 50$.. but i think it was upon request. Maybe in the future, opt for a signature, it shouldn't be a hassle to request that. Also if nobody signed for it, then you should be able to file a claim.

[quote name='Lawyers Guns N Money']If FedEx/UPS didn't get a signature, they can't prove it was delivered.[/QUOTE]

But if one of your neighbors sees the delivery truck pull up and walks over to your front door and signs for the package you're screwed.

[quote name='Ki77a KiD TRe']^^^THiS^^^ Coming to you from an ExFed driver. Some drivers are just stupid and don't give a shit, I used to actually make an effort to conceal deliveries if I was leaving it w/o a sig. It's up to Amazon to decide whether the package requires a signature or not, which they usually never did. It's a dead giving away for someone walking down the street when they see that box smiling back at them.[/QUOTE]

You ever see the videos of the UPS drivers lobbing boxes at the front porch from 15-20 feet away?

[quote name='tankass']Yea call fedex and complain. Same thing happened to my buddy and a $1000 mixer. He complained and the company was going to fire the driver when he gave my friend $200 bucks to drop it. Of course being an idiot my friend accepted. In other words, they take that pretty seriously and if it is Fedex, even more so since that makes them look bad. USPS probably wont give a crap but if you start poking holes in Fedex's credibility they arent going to be happy which will probably make them just credit you or something.[/QUOTE]

Wait. He loses $1000 and then settles for $200 when he could have gotten the full $1000 if he'd filed a complaint? Tell your friend for me that he's stupid.

Fed ex blows

I ordered a surround sound system around christmas and there was snow everywhere. The shipper shipped it directly in the system box so it was plainly electronic equipment.

The Fed Ex guy knocks once and drops it in the snow, and runs. If I hadn't been there it would have been ruined. fuck Fed Ex

Funniest thing I heard was either UPS or Fed Ex from one of the members here. They said that the guy put it under their door mat to hide it, yeah, they put a box UNDER a flat floor mat to hide it.. I swear they hire some stupid people, but then again all place hire "special' people at times lol

[quote name='maximumzero']Called Amazon, per mossman's suggestion. Told 'em the situation, they said it happens, and they're one-day shipping me a replacement.

Okay, Amazon, you've just gained a lifelong customer.[/QUOTE]

Amazon is freaking awesome. I ordered something Prime shipping and it wasn't there after a week, so they chalked it up to being lost and sent me another overnight air. Totally took my word for it. The package arrived 3 days after i received the replacement. I sent the first order back and they even gave me small credit to make up for it. Amazon is easily the best retailer I have ever dealt with customer service wise

I once ordered something, went to check the status and it said delivered. I looked everywhere for it but couldn't find it. I walk a bit around the neighborhood, see a package on someone's porch. I go up and look at it and of course its mine. Fed Ex apparently can't read seeing as it was a completely different street.

[quote name='evilwrath666']I once ordered something, went to check the status and it said delivered. I looked everywhere for it but couldn't find it. I walk a bit around the neighborhood, see a package on someone's porch. I go up and look at it and of course its mine. Fed Ex apparently can't read seeing as it was a completely different street.[/QUOTE]
A completely different street?! You should have reported the ass to Fed Ex.

bread's done
Back