Amazon PCDD $12.49 Walking Dead ($7.49 after coupon)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amazon DVG Deals

Official Representative
Feedback
4 (100%)
Hi CAGs,

I'll be posting deals we're running on Digital Games (PC/Mac, Free to Play, Sony/Microsoft Points/Subs).

I'm also here to answer questions you might have, get you closer to the developers by hosting Q&As, setting up podcasts, live streaming gameplay etc. If I don't respond to a question you have in thread please send me a PM. These ping my email address and make it more likely that I will see your question and respond more quickly.

FYI. EA Games sold by Amazon will not activate on Steam.

Digital Holiday

1/5-1/12

The Walking Dead - $12.49 ($7.49 post coupon)

1/11-1/13:

Alice: Madness Returns: The Complete Collection - $11.99 pre coupon (6.99 after coupon) - not Steam
Dragon Age Pack PC - $12.99 pre-coupon ($7.99 after coupon) - not Steam

1/18-1/20:

Need for Speed: The Run - $8.99 ($3.99 after coupon) - not Steam
EA Sports Classic Pack - $8.99 ($3.99 after coupon) - not Steam
Syndicate - $9.99 ($4.99 after coupon) - not Steam
Crysis Maximum Maximum -$17.99 ($12.99 after coupon) - not Steam

1/13-1/19:

Tantalizing THQ Medley - $11.99 pre coupon ($6.99 after coupon) - Steam

1/11-1/12:

Darksiders Franchise Pack - $13.19 before coupon ($8.19 after coupon) - Steam
Saints Row The Third: The Full Package - $12.49 pre coupon ($7.49 after coupon) - Steam

1/29-1/31:

Burning Hot Bundle - $11.99 ($6.99 after coupon)

F.A.Q.S.:

1. Does the game I'm buying from Amazon Activate on Steam/Origin/Uplay? What DRM does the game use?

There are two places to identify DRM on a digital video game detail page:

At the top of the page, below the title:

16hm7a8.png

In the "Product Description" section:

r06ykl.jpg

2. Note on Electronic Arts Games - For the most part, EA games sold on Amazon do not activate on Steam. Most activate on Origin.

3. Note on DRM with limited activations:

Our Policy

4. Sometimes I'll do giveaways.

5. I work with developers and publishers to get fun (or at least what I think is fun) content to share with you all. Here are some examples:

a. Check out the Pax Gameplay videos here: Xcom: Enemy Unknown I played Xcom with Jake, the Creative Director for the game, a few months before the game came out Also, on this page, check out the Q&A, also a community driven event.

b. Check out the interview on this page: Borderlands 2 we did this interview at E3 with Randy Pitchford this year.

c. We've partnered with the ++GoodGames Podcast to feature many of the games we carry. They talk to the developers about the game development process, how the games are conceptualized and managed, all kinds of fun stuff. I'm working on putting together full link list and will update when I have it.

What else do we sell?

Xbox Live Points and Subscriptions:

1600 Microsoft Live Points
4000 Microsoft Live Points
12 Month XBOX Live Subscription
3 Month XBOX Live Subscription]
12 Month + 1 XBOX Live Subscription

PSN+ Subscriptions and PSN Points:

$20 PSN Points
$50 PSN Points
12 Month PSN+ Subscription
3 Month PSN+ Subscription

We also have a Free-2-Play store supported by our GameConnect technology. Gameconnect allows you to link your Amazon.com account with free-2-play and MMO accounts so that you can buy things like in game currency, premium game time/subscriptions, in game items, etc. on Amazon.com using your Amazon.com payment options and have this content delivered directly into your game.

To check out the Free-2-Play games we offer you can visit our storefront here:

Free-2-Play Store

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Amazon DVG Deals']FYI Upcoming deals will be posted soon, including pricing on the Alice Complete and Dragon Age Packs ($11.99 and $12.99 respectively pre-coupon, yes they will be added to the EC list).

Cheers,
Tony[/QUOTE]
Ouch.

[quote name='Amazon DVG Deals']See my previous post about thread derailment, also, please stop.

Cheers,
Tony[/QUOTE]
lol at Tony defending Mooby.

All in all, gonna mirror the sentiment. These deals are unimpressive. But since saying that without explaining oneself in detail is somehow "derailing" the thread, I'll explain it.

(Disclaimer: Mooby, you publicly ignored me--again--so I don't want to see you complaining about this post. :roll: Keep me on your ignore list, old chap.)

So far, the BF/Winter/Publisher coupon sales were better than what we're seeing here. The only noteworthy sales going on are on relatively new games that are hitting relatively good prices. Examples being,

MP3 (Good price.)
TSW (Only a hit because the end of year bonuses somehow got extended.)
TWD (Good price, but with a developer who doesn't care about fixing a widespread save bug, not as appealing.)
NBA2K13 (Not a bad price, but it's a sports game that is getting closer to replacement, and is said to be much worse than past titles.)
DS2 Pack (Great price, but it's THQ, who is in the habit of almost PAYING you to take their stuff. It will be cheaper, soon.)
Dark Souls (Okay price, but it's a horrible port that is only made to be worthwhile on the PC with user mods that could get you banned from GFWL. I'm sorry, but that kills the value.)
Far Cry 3 (Good, but just a hair cheaper than Steam's price.)

So here I'm saying, yes, these are prices that don't simply deserve to be called total garbage. Just hopping on the thread and saying "This is all crap" could be called derailing, sure. Civilly stating one's disappointment in the deals is not, with or with out a wall of text (like this, lol) of reasoning. I don't understand why you'd consider that derailing, Tony, while an equally abrupt and useless "Deals are awesome" is not. Blind praise is just as useless as blind criticism. You're know marketing, I'm sure you don't need to be told this.

Anyways, back on point, this is a month of sales. Naturally some things are going to be worthwhile, like I pointed out above. That said, there are a lot of very weak and useless sales going on. A lot of them came about by annoying ways, too. For example, an American company, GameFly, had Mass Effect 3 DD for $12.99 (I think it was) during the publisher coupon event. You stated that you would not price match that price because it might conflict with a sale in January. Okay, that leads us all to believe that you're going to run the same price or better in January, not a worse price, which is what we're seeing now. That's extremely disappointing. Same thing happened with Syndicate, although it was a sillier situation where it would have been $0.09 after coupon. $5 on Syndicate is nothing new.

Further, I'm thinking that it feels like a bit of a slap in the face to customers when you have a higher price on something an entire year later. From what I'm hearing, the Dragon Age pack was $11.99 last January, while it's $12.99 now. An entire year later, and you're raising the price? That's not very cool. Is it a good price? Yes, but the fact that the price was raised such a long while later pretty much invalidates that, arguably on the principle of that matter.

Putting the crosshairs on the cheap games, there are some good prices. For example, Spec Ops and Darkness 2 for $2.50 each. That's cool, but is still a repeat and/or worse deal than what we saw in December. I grabbed the Crazy Action Pack for $5, and I'd say that that's a much better deal that Darkness 2 alone for $2.50. The Crazy Action Pack is still around, that's cool, but it's still just a repeat sale. Good price, don't get me wrong, but it's backwash, which you (Amazon) are doing more and more often lately. Amazon is quickly becoming the go to place for THQ deals, 2K deals, with a small amount of Ubi and WB thrown in, along with weak EA deals (can't really fault you there though, it's EA). Oh, and Paradox, lol. I'm sure a lot of the negative sentiment on this thread comes from people wanting for new deals, not the same ones over and over again, coming back for a dollar or two cheaper every so often.

From my personal perspective, I'm never going to be all that impressed with newish games like Far Cry 3, Dark Souls, TWD, etc for these prices, since I know it won't take a great deal of waiting to see them cheaper (though probably not so much for TWD), and a lot of them have technical issues that turn me off to them. I come to Amazon for two things that I think you guys typically do very well. I come to Amazon for 1. Bundles for great prices and separate keys, and 2. Older titles for rock bottom prices (although there are exceptions, like preordering BL2, buying TSW, KOA, etc). I'm not necessarily seeing either of these things in January, and that's influencing my criticism here.

I've been waiting for ages on certain things, like the Madden/NHL pack. They're ANCIENT games with zero developer support, and they've been at $4-5 over and over again. When I heard they'd be on the EC list, I was expecting something better than the $4 price tag again. If I was in the market for that THQ bundle (I'm not, since I have most of the games, but it would be a typical buy from me on Amazon), I'd be really disappointed. Why? It was $5 after coupon in December, and now it's $7 after coupon. Saint's Row 3? Considerably more expensive in January (although I know that's mostly because of a December price match). Alice pack? Just not a great price, as the first game has been on sale over and over again, and even at a $2.50 price. Even the "good" cheap game sales are just very uninspiring, like NFS The Run for a whopping $1 cheaper than it's been before. Yes, it is a good price, but beating previous sales by a hair on a very poorly reviewed game isn't going to turn heads.

And just for reference, here are some prices I would have caved in on (AFTER coupon prices):

Mass Effect 3 - $5-$7.50
Mass Effect 3 DD - $10-$12.50
Syndicate - $2.50 or less
Risen 2 - $5-$7.50
EA Classic Sports Pack - $3 or less OR just Madden for $2 (no need for NHL)
Sims 3 Starter Pack - $30 or less (it's a common sentiment for Sims players to see no value in "stuff packs")
XCOM - $15 (maybe, just spitballing numbers)
Mass Effect Trilogy - $15
TWD - $5

And of course I'd probably pick up any free games. *hint hint*

Anyways, I've gone on for way too long. TL;DR, the deals are not impressive and I've stated in depth reasoning behind this criticism. I've got my fireproof suit on, because you've amassed an army of fans and defenders, Tony, which is awesome, but admiration and "keep it ups" don't encourage progress. You know I love you to death man, but this is coming from a cheapass to a businessman. Keep it up, just keep it up a little better. ;)

[quote name='espy605']I think on PC or console you cannot buy it separately anywhere digitally.[/QUOTE]

http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Product/American-McGees-Alice/064efb92-dc4f-4e09-8283-2ab35ad7ed73

$10 at the moment for american mcgee's alice on xbox live marketplace. not worth it. if you don't own any of the alice franchise yet, definitely, now is a good time to bite by getting the franchise on the amazon sale with coupon. unfortunately, many of us already has alice maddness returns and just won't double dip to get this franchise version.

[quote name='Genocidal']If you could get a last ditch batch of You Don't Know Jack Steam keys from THQ for say... $5, I'd be all over that. :)[/QUOTE]

Hell I would too.

I feel like there needs to be a THQ Going Out of Business Everything Must Go (except not really because it's digital) sale somewhere.

[quote name='Idiotekque']DS2 Pack (Great price, but it's THQ, who is in the habit of almost PAYING you to take their stuff. It will be cheaper, soon.)[/QUOTE]

unless EA buys darksiders 2 on the 22nd

[quote name='dracula']http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Product/American-McGees-Alice/064efb92-dc4f-4e09-8283-2ab35ad7ed73

$10 at the moment for american mcgee's alice on xbox live marketplace. not worth it. if you don't own any of the alice franchise yet, definitely, now is a good time to bite by getting the franchise on the amazon sale with coupon. unfortunately, many of us already has alice maddness returns and just won't double dip to get this franchise version.[/QUOTE]

that xbox version is a dlc for madness returns

[quote name='dracula']http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Product/American-McGees-Alice/064efb92-dc4f-4e09-8283-2ab35ad7ed73

$10 at the moment for american mcgee's alice on xbox live marketplace. not worth it. if you don't own any of the alice franchise yet, definitely, now is a good time to bite by getting the franchise on the amazon sale with coupon. unfortunately, many of us already has alice maddness returns and just won't double dip to get this franchise version.[/QUOTE]

"This add-on works with:"

I think it requires the original. The Origin version launches from within Alice Madness Returns, I think. EA treats it as DLC of sorts.

[quote name='Idiotekque']Ouch.

lol at Tony defending Mooby.

All in all, gonna mirror the sentiment. These deals are unimpressive. But since saying that without explaining oneself in detail is somehow "derailing" the thread, I'll explain it.

(Disclaimer: Mooby, you publicly ignored me--again--so I don't want to see you complaining about this post. :roll: Keep me on your ignore list, old chap.)

So far, the BF/Winter/Publisher coupon sales were better than what we're seeing here. The only noteworthy sales going on are on relatively new games that are hitting relatively good prices. Examples being,

MP3 (Good price.)
TSW (Only a hit because the end of year bonuses somehow got extended.)
TWD (Good price, but with a developer who doesn't care about fixing a widespread save bug, not as appealing.)
NBA2K13 (Not a bad price, but it's a sports game that is getting closer to replacement, and is said to be much worse than past titles.)
DS2 Pack (Great price, but it's THQ, who is in the habit of almost PAYING you to take their stuff. It will be cheaper, soon.)
Dark Souls (Okay price, but it's a horrible port that is only made to be worthwhile on the PC with user mods that could get you banned from GFWL. I'm sorry, but that kills the value.)
Far Cry 3 (Good, but just a hair cheaper than Steam's price.)

So here I'm saying, yes, these are prices that don't simply deserve to be called total garbage. Just hopping on the thread and saying "This is all crap" could be called derailing, sure. Civilly stating one's disappointment in the deals is not, with or with a wall of text (like this, lol) of reasoning. I don't understand why you'd consider that derailing, Tony, while an equally abrupt and useless "Deals are awesome" is not. Blind praise is just as useless as blind criticism. You're know marketing, I'm sure you don't need to be told this.

Anyways, back on point, this is a month of sales. Naturally some things are going to be worthwhile, like I pointed out above. That said, there are a lot of very weak and useless sales going on. A lot of them came about by annoying ways, too. For example, an American company, GameFly, had Mass Effect 3 DD for $12.99 (I think it was) during the publisher coupon event. You stated that you would not price match that price because it might conflict with a sale in January. Okay, that leads us all to believe that you're going to run the same price or better in January, not a worse price, which is what we're seeing now. That's extremely disappointing. Same thing happened with Syndicate, although it was a sillier situation where it would have been $0.09 after coupon. $5 on Syndicate is nothing new.

Further, I'm thinking that it feels like a bit of a slap in the face to customers when you have a higher price on something an entire year later. From what I'm hearing, the Dragon Age pack was $11.99 last January, while it's $12.99 now. An entire year later, and you're raising the price? That's not very cool. Is it a good price? Yes, but the fact that the price was raised such a long while later pretty much invalidates that, arguably on the principle of that matter.

Putting the crosshairs on the cheap games, there are some good prices. For example, Spec Ops and Darkness 2 for $2.50 each. That's cool, but is still a repeat and/or worse deal than what we saw in December. I grabbed the Crazy Action Pack for $5, and I'd say that that's a much better deal that Darkness $2 alone for $2.50. The Crazy Action Pack is still around, that's cool, but it's still just a repeat sale. Good price, don't get me wrong, but it's backwash, which you (Amazon) are doing more and more often lately. Amazon is quickly becoming the go to place for THQ deals, 2K deals, with a small amount of Ubi and WB thrown in, along with weak EA deals (can't really fault you there though, it's EA). Oh, and Paradox, lol. I'm sure a lot of the negative sentiment on this thread comes from people wanting for new deals, not the same ones over and over again, coming back for a dollar or two cheaper every so often.

From my personal perspective, I'm never going to be all that impressed with newish games like Far Cry 3, Dark Souls, TWD, etc for these prices, since I know it won't take a great deal of waiting to see them cheaper (though probably not so much for TWD), and a lot of them have technical issues that turn me off to them. I come to Amazon for two things that I think you guys typically do very well. I come to Amazon for 1. Bundles for great prices and separate keys, and 2. Older titles for rock bottom prices (although there are exceptions, like preordering BL2, buying TSW, KOA, etc). I'm not necessarily seeing either of these things in January, and that's influencing my criticism here.

I've been waiting for ages on certain things, like the Madden/NHL pack. They're ANCIENT games with zero developer support, and they've been at $4-5 over and over again. When I heard they'd be on the EC list, I was expecting something better than the $4 price tag again. If I was in the market for that THQ bundle (I'm not, since I have most of the games, but it would be a typical buy from me on Amazon), I'd be really disappointed. Why? It was $5 after coupon in December, and now it's $7 after coupon. Saint's Row 3? Considerably more expensive in January (although I know that's mostly because of a December price match). Alice pack? Just not a great price, as the first game has been on sale over and over again, and even at a $2.50 price. Even the "good" cheap game sales are just very uninspiring, like NFS The Run for a whopping $1 cheaper than it's been before. Yes, it is a good price, but beating previous sales by a hair on a very poorly reviewed game isn't going to turn heads.

And just for reference, here are some prices I would have caved in on (AFTER coupon prices):

Mass Effect 3 - $5-$7.50
Mass Effect 3 DD - $10-$12.50
Syndicate - $2.50 or less
Risen 2 - $5-$7.50
EA Classic Sports Pack - $3 or less OR just Madden for $2 (no need for NHL)
Sims 3 Starter Pack - $30 or less (it's a common sentiment for Sims players to see no value in "stuff packs")
XCOM - $15 (maybe, just spitballing numbers)
Mass Effect Trilogy - $15
TWD - $5

And of course I'd probably pick up any free games. *hint hint*

Anyways, I've gone on for way too long. TL;DR, the deals are not impressive and I've stated in depth reasoning behind this criticism. I've got my fireproof suit on, because you've amassed an army of fans and defenders, Tony, which is awesome, but admiration and "keep it ups" don't encourage progress. You know I love you to death man, but this is coming from a cheapass to a businessman. Keep it up, just keep it up a little better. ;)[/QUOTE]

See this is feedback I can do something with as opposed to "This is disappointing" in this case "do something with" means:

"Identify that the price points Idiotkque is excited about are well below what data and statistics tell us are the best prices for those games to be at right now based on past sales performance".

That's fine and helps me identify actual misses in analysis vs. just not being at the right price point for you personally.

Also, I wasn't defending Mooby lol and have asked everyone, multiple times, to stop calling each other names. I've been discussing a solution with a mod and he's going to drop in to comment as well.

That being said, even under the new rules this kind of feedback is still exactly what I'm hoping to encourage rather than flamebait (which you have to admit you often post as well lol).

Lastly,

I agree, that negative feedback vs. a deluge of positive feedback absolutely leads to better ideas as a whole. We just need to stop all the shouting back and forth.

Cheers,
Tony

Did people complaining about the sale and say its the same+$5 even watch the winter sale?
in the EC sale so far:

Dark Souls was cheaper
TSW was cheaper
BF3 Premium Service was cheaper
Hotline Miami was cheaper
ME3 was cheaper
XCOM was cheaper
Darkness 2 was cheaper
Darksiders 2 pack will be cheaper
Walking Dead is cheaper
Many packs are/were cheaper

etc etc. People must be crazy. I bought enough games for about 10 coupons and have used about 4 of them on things that weren't on sale or things that are now priced cheaper

[quote name='Amazon DVG Deals']See this is feedback I can do something with as opposed to "This is disappointing" in this case "do something with" means:

"Identify that the price points Idiotkque is excited about are well below what data and statistics tell us are the best prices for those games to be at right now based on past sales performance".

That's fine and helps me identify actual misses in analysis vs. just not being at the right price point for you personally.

Also, I wasn't defending Mooby lol and have asked everyone, multiple times, to stop calling each other names. I've been discussing a solution with a mod and he's going to drop in to comment as well.

That being said, even under the new rules this kind of feedback is still exactly what I'm hoping to encourage rather than flamebait (which you have to admit you often post as well lol).

Lastly,

I agree, that negative feedback vs. a deluge of positive feedback absolutely leads to better ideas as a whole. We just need to stop all the shouting back and forth.

Cheers,
Tony[/QUOTE]
Glad we're on the same page.

And sometimes this thread is just a bit too chilly (and not silly enough) for my tastes. ;)

EDIT: Although, while I understand my "standards" being lower than what sales work for you in some cases, there's no excuse for stuff like the Dragon Age pack for a higher price than you last had it an entire year ago. The "Idiotekque's price point" is too low clause doesn't work there, and the same goes for more than one sale price happening here. There's a reason that I'm just one of many people on this thread who are civilly explaining why these prices are less than amazing. Keep that in mind.

[quote name='Tolyngee']"always"

To quote Inigo Montoya: that word, I do not think it means what you think it means[/QUOTE]

Blah-di-blah, excluding flash and community votes. They invariably price match dailies, midweek, and weekend deals from Steam and other U.S. outlets.

[quote name='tham1988']unless EA buys darksiders 2 on the 22nd[/QUOTE]

Oh shut up, don't joke about evil stuff, it would be the end of the franchise.

Hmm, that THQ news may prompt me to pick up the Amazon deal. I was planning on refraining from buying anything for more than a couple bucks until I'd worked through some of the stuff I've got waiting to be played, but the prospect of Darksiders getting picked up by a less discount-friendly publisher might change that.

The only other thing that might change that? The addition of some of those recent Paradox bundles that I kept just barely deciding to pass on to the EC list. Hint, hint. ;)

Been following the thread all day and haven't seen any mention of a reprisal of the Dark Souls deal. Any chance of a repeat at $17.99 or cheaper? Thanks a bunch!

Also, thanks for the heads up on Far Cry, currently my most wanted title.

[quote name='MysterD']Nice @ EA Sports pack.
So in for that.

We really need to get some modern-day NHL and Madden games from EA on the PC - that'd be great. :D[/QUOTE]

Agreed. $3.99 for a version of Madden on PC I can mod isn't too shabby at all.

Tony,

Any chance we can see a sale on MX vs ATV Reflex ? It is a THQ game and I think the only title they have that I don't own and do want. Maybe they'd be willing to to do a deep sale on it since they never have before anywhere?

BTW, how did Toilet Tycoon do on sales? :D

Tony and I would like to implement a new rule that we think will cut down on a lot of the thread de-railing.

Complaints regarding the quality of deals:

If you are unhappy with the quality of a given deal, do not post feedback that is not actionable. This negativity invites response by those who may have previously requested the deal you are commenting on. If you would like to leave feedback on the quality of a deal please structure it as 'I am not interested in this deal but I would be at $xx.xx'.

Please do not expect a response, from Tony or others in the thread to such complaints, these discussions tend to immediately derail the thread for pages.

Lastly, if you see a complaint and you'd like to respond to it, please do not, these conversations have proven unproductive and thread derailing.

As always, report all posts that break the rules, or feel free to PM me.

[quote name='Trakan']Tony and I would like to implement a new rule that we think will cut down on a lot of the thread de-railing.

If you are unhappy with the quality of a given deal, do not post feedback that is not actionable. This negativity invites response by those who may have previously requested the deal you are commenting on. If you would like to leave feedback on the quality of a deal please structure it as 'I am not interested in this deal but I would be at $xx.xx'.

Please do not expect a response, from Tony or others in the thread to such complaints, these discussions tend to immediately derail the thread for pages.

Lastly, if you see a complaint and you'd like to respond to it, please do not, these conversations have proven unproductive and thread derailing.

As always, report all posts that break the rules, or feel free to PM me.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Trakan,

Adding this to post 2 now.

Cheers,
Tony

[quote name='tritangle']Yes, a lot of the complaining and whining isn't helping Tony (or Amazon), but at the same time, replying with "Tony is da best" or "Whiners just want free games" isn't helping either.

A lot of the deals that Amazon have provided since Black Friday have been great (2K Packs and Darksiders for example) and I think overall Amazon kicked Steam's ass this holiday season.

However, if Amazon is have people consider their January Editor's Choice sale as a super-sale event -- one of the best of the year, then it must step-up.
Tony has been presenting a lot of the games as being a great deal AFTER COUPON. But Amazon must keep in mind that not everyone have those $5 coupons. If we are to compare the BEFORE COUPON price with previous deals that Amazon, Steam, and others have had, then this Editor's Choice Event has been lackluster.
That's not to knock on Tony -- he's been a great representative for both Amazon and gamers -- nor is it a complaint, but it's an honest criticism of this sale thus far.

Again, I want to re-iterate: Amazon has kicked Steam's ass in deals this season, but the Editor's Choice Sale hasn't been as good as previous Sales that Amazon and their competitors have had, in my opinion.[/QUOTE]
Just want to echo ALL of this. It is really hard to complain about these prices, but it is also hard to commit on a few when they aren't reaching new lows. Still, it isn't really a surprise to not see anything being a "freebie" as that writing was on the wall as soon as Hotline was bumped up to 7.49 before the month started. I can't say I blame Amazon for it, and while notice of no freebies would have been nice - had Tony outright said there wouldn't be freebies, people would be even more off their hinges regarding the two price glitches that led to freebies. I don't think there was anything that could have been done to make us all ecstatic on that front.

We are definitely spoiled by the market being driven down so fast. And really, the prices are still really solid (not like Steam selling Terraria and several others for HIGHER prices a full year later during this recent Winter Sale). It may just be time for a pause and a chance to catch up on games that I have recently purchased.

Of course, I only have one coupon left so I may bite on Syndicate at the same price, or the EA sports pair. So long as it lets me keep to my New Year's Resolution (no game purchases over 9.99) it may be considered.

[quote name='xRidley']Did people complaining about the sale and say its the same+$5 even watch the winter sale?
in the EC sale so far:

Dark Souls was cheaper
TSW was cheaper
BF3 Premium Service was cheaper
Hotline Miami was cheaper
ME3 was cheaper
XCOM was cheaper
Darkness 2 was cheaper
Darksiders 2 pack will be cheaper
Walking Dead is cheaper
Many packs are/were cheaper

etc etc. People must be crazy. I bought enough games for about 10 coupons and have used about 4 of them on things that weren't on sale or things that are now priced cheaper[/QUOTE]

BEFORE EC, I already owned -> Dark Souls; Hotline Miami; ME3; Darkness 2; Darksiders Pack.

Bought from EC sale -> The Walking Dead.
Got 8 coupons left to burn.

TSW was CHEAPER on GMG a bit ago at $5.xx (before it hit no subs).
XCOM: EU was real cheap at GMG a few weeks back at $17.50.
Borderlands 2 was ultra-cheap at $21; its Season Pass was $10.50; Mechromancer was $3.50 on GMG few weeks back.
I should note - I really DO NOT expect Amazon DVG on NEW games to top International site GMG. They're tough to beat on the newest of stuff. Plus, International markets can be different, on certain things.

[quote name='Mooby']Blah-di-blah, excluding flash and community votes. They invariably price match dailies, midweek, and weekend deals from Steam and other U.S. outlets.[/QUOTE]

I can absolutely assure you they did not PM ME3 DE. Otherwise I certainly would have bought it from Amazon, as I would have gotten yet another EC coupon out of it back during BF holiday sales, making it effectively below my insta-buy threshold in my mind.

I'm not saying that Amazon doesn't indeed often PM. But you were and are continuing to use absolutes that are false.

[quote name='DonRamon']Oh shut up, don't joke about evil stuff, it would be the end of the franchise.[/QUOTE]

well hopefully WB or take two will buy metro
anything either of those two companies buy will be better than it would have been with thq

[quote name='Amazon DVG Deals']An update to this is that we're waiting on the Strat First pack to do the stress test then figuring out the 1C bundle.

Cheers,
Tony[/QUOTE]

Good! if there's going to be a price glitch, I'd much rather it happen on the strat first bundle than 1c ;)

Tony,

Back to feedback on the sales, one of the main reasons I bought some of the games from steam vs. Amazon was that they usually also carried the older versions of the games and they did a good job marketing the older titles together with the newer ones.

I'll have to go back and list what I bought from steam because of this (and this was the first time I bought anything from steam in any meaningful amount) but one area where I think Amazon can continue to work on is to make sure it carries the older copies of the popular games AND market them together with the newer title.

Amazon is probably losing some impulse purchases by not carrying/marketing titles together as much as they could. I realize you're adding more classic titles every day but finding them when you're in the middle of a buying frenzy is still a challenge/missed opportunity.

[quote name='Necrotron']Agreed. $3.99 for a version of Madden on PC I can mod isn't too shabby at all.[/QUOTE]

Abso-freaking-lutely.
I'm MOST DEFINITELY looking forward to this deal w/ Madden 2008 and the NHL 09 game combo pack. :D
Gotta' love the modders.

EDIT:
Anyone know if there's a fair deal of NHL 09 mods floating around?

[quote name='MysterD']Abso-freaking-lutely.
I'm MOST DEFINITELY looking forward to this deal. :D[/QUOTE]

agreed...that and NFS The run are on my to buy list

Yeah, it's also rough on Amazon when GMG kicks their butt on a lot of new games. Unfortunately (or fortunately, for Amazon) Amazon can pretty much just ignore that angle because the vast majority of American PCDD customers don't know about GMG. i.e. GMG isn't hurting Amazon's business in a drastic way, so Amazon can ignore them and not worry about beating/matching their great prices.

Although, from a CAG's perspective, that sucks.

[quote name='Mooby']It's ME3 -- consider it a public service by Tony to spare you from the horror![/QUOTE]

Meanwhile he is hawking Dragon Age 2. ;)

I'll post my feedback.

In regards to just the coupons in general, I purchased a shitload of games in November / December and have amassed around 30-40 Amazon coupons. Now unless they have a couple freebies thru out the month (I know about the Hotline Miami price glitch also something about Bioshock 1+2 being free) but aside from there being free stuff I don't think I would ever use all these. Which also is why I'm kinda sad they arn't using the codes again this year. At least I could give those things away if I couldn't use them (now I would have to make a post and then buy it for someone then get him to send me money, to much of a hassle.)

In regards to the EC deals so far, I would have to say they range from pretty damn good to prices to poor so far. I liked the Max Payne 3 and TWD prices so far, and Hotline Miami. Alot of the packs though are repeats and are the same price if not more in some cases then they have been in the past post coupon, which is a little confusing.

Anyway to some up how I feel about EC so far:
Few good prices got me to bite, other then that nothing to super stellar for me personally. Lots of repeats and repeat prices even post coupon. Hoping for maybe some more surprises by the end of the month. Also hoping for coupon codes again and or the ability to trade what I have off my account.

To sum up how I feel about Amazon Digital games so far:
Need ability to have multiple digital items in my cart and checkout all at the same time.
The ability to gift/give games that you havn't revealed a serial key for or hit the Download button on to other Amazon accounts

And I guess one last question to Tony, last year when they gave out a few free games during EC (I think there was The Witcher 1 and Duke Nuke Em') were those all the result of price matches and not intended last year and do you intend a giving away a few freebies by the end of this EC?

[quote name='Genocidal']If you could get a last ditch batch of You Don't Know Jack Steam keys from THQ for say... $5, I'd be all over that. :)[/QUOTE]

YES!!!!!!!

[quote name='Motoki']Hell I would too.

I feel like there needs to be a THQ Going Out of Business Everything Must Go (except not really because it's digital) sale somewhere.[/QUOTE]

That would be a bittersweet, but amazing deal.

[quote name='momouchi']I'd love to see a deal on Borderlands 2 DLC using the coupon, will they be on sale with the game?[/QUOTE]

I'll second this although I'd only be in the market for that Mechromancer DLC.

[quote name='tham1988']well hopefully WB or take two will buy metro
anything either of those two companies buy will be better than it would have been with thq[/QUOTE]

I'm not that fond of WB, I have never been able to swallow their over the top DRM for Batman, nevertheless, yeah, any other company than EA is better.

And my understanding is that they bled money badly with the latest medal of honor, and perhaps NFS, so they are going to be quick in turning anything they get into a swallow cash cow machine.

[quote name='Idiotekque']Yeah, it's also rough on Amazon when GMG kicks their butt on a lot of new games. Unfortunately (or fortunately, for Amazon) Amazon can pretty much just ignore that angle because the vast majority of American PCDD customers don't know about GMG. i.e. GMG isn't hurting Amazon's business in a drastic way, so Amazon can ignore them and not worry about beating/matching their great prices.

Although, from a CAG's perspective, that sucks.[/QUOTE]

GMG's an international seller - and it can be a much different market overseas.
As a CAG, I'd absolutely

[quote name='Idiotekque']Yeah, it also rough on Amazon when GMG kicks their butt on a lot of new games. Unfortunately (or fortunately, for Amazon) Amazon can pretty much just ignore that angle because the vast majority of American PCDD customers don't know about GMG. i.e. GMG isn't hurting Amazon's business in a drastic way, so Amazon can ignore them and not worry about beating/matching their great prices.

Although, from a CAG's perspective, that sucks.[/QUOTE]
Much like Steam ignoring everyone at this point :) Market share probably drives a lot of this. I am sure Tony knows how much better they are doing this year than last year, and yet we are still seeing very radical and diverse price-cuts. Hopefully, as Amazon earns more share, they still keep helping to push the price points down. CAGs unite on that sentiment!

[quote name='Amazon DVG Deals']
1/18-1/20:
Need for Speed: The Run - $8.99 ($3.99 after coupon)
Syndicate - $9.99 ($4.99 after coupon)
Cheers,
Tony[/QUOTE]

I'm definitely in for these two. Thanks for bringing Syndicate back!

Tony, I do have a question, though. At times (more so during big sale events) I would like to make a request or two, but typically don't as I feel it sounds too needy/whiny and there are so many others trying to shout louder than the next person to get your attention. Is this something that is OK to do, meaning do you want this type of feedback (requests)? If it is OK with you, is there a preferred format or context you'd like to see it in?

[quote name='Neuro5i5']
Tony, I do have a question, though. At times (more so during big sale events) I would like to make a request or two, but typically don't as I feel it sounds too needy/whiny and there are so many others trying to shout louder than the next person to get your attention. If this something that is OK to do, meaning do you want this type of feedback (requests)? If it is OK with you, is there a preferred format or context you'd like to see it in?[/QUOTE]

You mean you don't have his personal office, mobile, and home phone number like I do? ;) But it is a good point that posting here and PMs can be a bit inefficient/overwhelming for Tony. Wonder if there's some (automated?) way people could send in what price points they'd be willing to jump on for certain games and then Tony could put that into some spreadsheet/matrix/whatever for useful pricing information.

[quote name='Mooby']You mean you don't have his personal office, mobile, and home phone number like I do? ;)[/QUOTE]

No. :cry: And unfortunately, my Jedi mind powers only go as far West as Ohio. ;)

[quote name='Neuro5i5']I'm definitely in for these two. Thanks for bringing Syndicate back!

Tony, I do have a question, though. At times (more so during big sale events) I would like to make a request or two, but typically don't as I feel it sounds too needy/whiny and there are so many others trying to shout louder than the next person to get your attention. If this something that is OK to do, meaning do you want this type of feedback (requests)? If it is OK with you, is there a preferred format or context you'd like to see it in?[/QUOTE]

Yeah man for sure, and I do keep track of what people are asking for. Just understand that I may or may not see your post and respond, given how fast this thread moves.

I don't want people to stop requesting/commenting on deals, that's one of the points of this thread.

The problems we've been seeing have been with people requesting or complaining about stuff in such a way that invites others to comment back and derail the thread for pages...which is not the purpose of this thread.

Cheers,
Tony

[quote name='Trakan']Tony and I would like to implement a new rule that we think will cut down on a lot of the thread de-railing.

[/QUOTE]

But Trakan, I believe I followed that and for reasons I don't understand I got quoted and labeled as one of the complainers by Tony. I don't believe I was complaining at all, as all I was doing was responding to what Tony had asked for and was giving it in an example that I thought Tony was asking for.

If Tony's going to ask for feedback that is actionable, he should accept it, no?

[quote name='Amazon DVG Deals']
If you want to provide feedback that is actionable like "I would have bought this at $XX.XX" for example:

Edit: added this:

"Syndicate was $4.00 from Gamefly in December.
DA pack has been cheaper from Amazon in the past w/o coupon.
EA sports pack has been 3.99 prior from Amazon as well w/o coupon.
Alice was 4.99 from Steam, not the complete version though."

awesome, I can use that. "These are bad deals"/"I am disappointed" only serves to invite argument and thread derailment.
[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Tolyngee']Tony, if you're looking for legit feedback to take back with you:

FYI - I passed on the ME3 deals. Back on BF Gamefly had the ME3 DE for $12. With the coupon, I was really hoping for $10.

Yeah, that might have made ME3 vanilla $5... but I bought ME1 and ME2 @ $5 each. Maybe just too soon, since it hasn't even been out a year.

Just trying to give the feedback you want, as it's the only thing I've passed on that I was anticipating grabbing.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Amazon DVG Deals']To note:

I don't even care if people complain. I'd prefer that they do so we can adjust. I'm just unsure how I'm supposed to respond.

In this case the conversation has been:

"These deals are disappointing"

to which I responded:

"Your fellow CAGs have been requesting these deals."

which was responded with:

"Why am I being guilt tripped?"

I need to understand what kind of responses you guys are looking for, if any, to complaints.

Cheers,
Tony[/QUOTE]

Saints Row 2 $2.50 THQ going out of business sale, go!

Also, as a follow up thought: perhaps Amazon could design something similar to the price match request feature on their store pages along the lines of 'Please submit the price point which you'd be willing to buy this game at.' And then that could be tied to a spreadsheet/average computation that throws away the outliers and such.

Tempted by Syndicate for that price, but I think my dislike for EA will make me pass on it. Hopefully some more stuff will come up.

[quote name='shezbot']
1/13-1/19:
Tantalizing THQ Medley - $11.99 pre coupon ($6.99 after coupon)
[/QUOTE]
Well, I have most of the Tantalizing THQ Pack...
...but dammit, Space Marine is in there!
The ONLY game I'm missing in that pack!

Anyone know - has Space Marine itself alone ever been $6.99 or below anywhere else?

I tend to think it's "Probably not."

EDIT:
Also, I wouldn't mind seeing a sweet deal on the EC for Space Marine on the by itself alone below the cost of the Tantalizing Pack ($11.99 before coupon / $6.99 after coupon).

Tony,
is there any way we can get a deal/ editor's choice for The Testament of Sherlock Holmes?

and how about some type of square enix pack that includes dungeon siege 3 and the kane and lynch games?

[quote name='MysterD']Well, I have most of the Tantalizing THQ Pack...
...but dammit, Space Marine is in there!
The ONLY game I'm missing in that pack!

Anyone know - has Space Marine itself alone ever been $6.99 or below anywhere else?

I tend to think it's "Probably not."[/QUOTE]

I was thinking the same thing
but i also dont have
stalker
homefront
or
red faction guerilla

so its a definite buy for me

[quote name='Tolyngee']But Trakan, I believe I followed that and for reasons I don't understand I got quoted and labeled as one of the complainers by Tony. I don't believe I was complaining at all, as all I was doing was responding to what Tony had asked for and was giving it in an example that I thought Tony was asking for.

If Tony's going to ask for feedback that is actionable, he should accept it, no?[/QUOTE]

Are you talking about this post?

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=10367346&postcount=17665

I was referring to your post as an example of feedback that is actionable...

Ironically, I took your example, and that of those responding like you, and we built a rule around it...which I would say is the epitome of accepting feedback, no?

Cheers,
Tony

[quote name='tham1988']Tony,
is there any way we can get a deal/ editor's choice for The Testament of Sherlock Holmes?

and how about some type of square enix pack that includes dungeon siege 3 and the kane and lynch games?[/QUOTE]

It has unlisted 3rd party DRM with a 3 machine activation limit.

I know Amazon guarantees to give a new key if you ever get locked out but in the case where a game you buy on Amazon is Steam redeemable with 3rd party DRM I don't know what would happen.

I mean if you get a new key it's not like you can add it to Steam again because as far as Steam is concerned you already own the key.

If you really want that game it may be safer to go for the non-Steam version. Just my two cents.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back