Amazon PCDD - Important Update New Community Manager Incoming!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amazon DVG Deals

Official Representative
Feedback
4 (100%)
Hey CAGS,

I’ve got some news I’m both excited and sad to share with you at the same time. I’ll be leaving the Digital Video Games team in Mid-March to join the marketing team for Amazon.com’s Loyalty and Rewards program, Amazon Coins. My boss and I have talked extensively about how to maintain and continue our presence here and across the other communities we’ve created in the past couple of years. To that end I’d like to introduce you to Josh, who take over monitoring, updating, and responding to this thread. Josh will be ramping up over the next couple of weeks, he  will be posting shortly to introduce himself.

Now that the “what’s going on” part of the message is out of the way I want to tell you all how much I love CAG and the posters here. This was the first community I joined when I started this job (anyone still remember that first thread?) and all of you have had a huge hand in shaping how we think about and execute Community Development and Management here at Amazon, which has in turn shaped my career these last two and a half years.

I started to write out a section calling out the regular posters and realized the list would be both overly long and incomplete at the same time. Instead I’d like to thank you all again, you all have my deep and sincere gratitude. I’ll still be around and my gaming accounts aren’t going anywhere so feel free to hit me up anytime you want to chat. I’ll probably still hang out in the thread too :).

Thanks again everyone, let me or Josh know if you have any questions!

The Indie Store has launched!
Amazon.com is launching a storefront dedicated to supporting and promoting PC/Mac/Web-based Indie Games. Our Digital Video Games team is a small group of passionate gamers and we’re all really excited to help Indie developers reach more customers quickly by providing a quick and simple process for bringing their games to market. Additionally we’ll be supporting the Indie Store with a ton of promotions, both at and after launch. Many of these promotions are designed to give the developer the opportunity to maximize their revenue. For example, Amazon is forfeiting all royalties from bundle sales and passing them along directly to the developer, we’ve also created an “Indie Spotlight” program to help customers learn more about the games and developers they love. We view the Indie developers as some of the most creative in the industry and we want to help them continue to create new and innovative experience for customers.

Why we are doing this:

• Allow customers to discover an entirely new category of games on Amazon.com
  • Help developers reach new customers quickly. Our onboarding process is straightforward and we want to sell every Indie game available
  • We want to leverage our strengths to support and help the developers who are driving forward innovation and creativity in the games industry
General Information

Hi CAGs,
I'll be posting deals we're running on Digital Games (PC/Mac, Free to Play, Sony/Microsoft Points/Subs).

I'm also here to answer questions you might have, get you closer to the developers by hosting Q&As, setting up podcasts, live streaming gameplay etc. If I don't respond to a question you have in thread please send me a PM. These ping my email address and make it more likely that I will see your question and respond more quickly.

Cheers,
Tony

FYI. EA Games sold by Amazon will not activate on Steam.
F.A.Q.S.:

1. Does the game I'm buying from Amazon Activate on Steam/Origin/Uplay? What DRM does the game use?

There are two places to identify DRM on a digital video game detail page:

At the top of the page, below the title:

16hm7a8.png

In the "Product Description" section:

r06ykl.jpg

2. Note on Electronic Arts Games - For the most part, EA games sold on Amazon do not activate on Steam. Most activate on Origin.

3. Note on DRM with limited activations:

Our Policy

4. Sometimes I'll do giveaways.

5. I work with developers and publishers to get fun (or at least what I think is fun) content to share with you all. Here are some examples:

a. Check out the Pax Gameplay videos here: Xcom: Enemy Unknown I played Xcom with Jake, the Creative Director for the game, a few months before the game came out Also, on this page, check out the Q&A, also a community driven event.

b. Check out the interview on this page: Borderlands 2 we did this interview at E3 with Randy Pitchford this year.

c. We've partnered with the ++GoodGames Podcast to feature many of the games we carry. They talk to the developers about the game development process, how the games are conceptualized and managed, all kinds of fun stuff. I'm working on putting together full link list and will update when I have it.

What else do we sell?

Xbox Live Points and Subscriptions:

1600 Microsoft Live Points
4000 Microsoft Live Points
12 Month XBOX Live Subscription
3 Month XBOX Live Subscription]
12 Month + 1 XBOX Live Subscription

PSN+ Subscriptions and PSN Points:

$20 PSN Points
$50 PSN Points
12 Month PSN+ Subscription
3 Month PSN+ Subscription

We also have a Free-2-Play store supported by our GameConnect technology. Gameconnect allows you to link your Amazon.com account with free-2-play and MMO accounts so that you can buy things like in game currency, premium game time/subscriptions, in game items, etc. on Amazon.com using your Amazon.com payment options and have this content delivered directly into your game.

5. Price Matching notes: Generally we do not match international retailers (GMG, Gamersgate, etc) or physical retailers (Best Buy, Newegg.com, etc.)
To check out the Free-2-Play games we offer you can visit our storefront here: Free-2-Play Store

Last edited by a moderator:
Somewhere else has it for the same price without using an EC. Or at least did a couple of days ago, anyway.
Yeah think I've seen that, thanks. Funny thing is, I actually refer to wasting them by not using them. I think I have plenty that buying the game would not worry me about running out. It's not using them that will cause waste come Feb 1.

As much as I'd like a good excuse to use another EC coupon, I'm way too on the fence with The Bureau: XCOM Declassified. Anybody care to help justify it at this price?
Well, given its reviews, it will undoubtedly be $5 sooner, rather than later, and it will likely be in a bitchin amazon bundle next holiday!

It's gotten better over the last year or so, but it's just a shell of the PC version.
Meh, I paid $0.10 for Minecraft pocket edition.... (and I still haven't played it)

As much as I'd like a good excuse to use another EC coupon, I'm way too on the fence with The Bureau: XCOM Declassified. Anybody care to help justify it at this price?

Has that feel like it will dip in retail price and be on sale even cheaper than post EC before I could ever really get to playing it.

Wasting EC promo isn't fun either.
I've been playing it for a few hours today. (Note I haven't played XCOM games, so I can't compare and my perspective is fresh.)

So far it's a competent tactical TPS with a really cool setting.

Meh, I paid $0.10 for Minecraft pocket edition.... (and I still haven't played it)

I've been playing it for a few hours today. (Note I haven't played XCOM games, so I can't compare and my perspective is fresh.)

So far it's a competent tactical TPS with a really cool setting.
Need more info!

So, how's the teammate AI, Ashes?

EDIT:

Has that feel like it will dip in retail price and be on sale even cheaper than post EC before I could ever really get to playing it.

Why would anyone buy The Bureau from Amazon DVG and waste a coupon to get it down to $7.49...

...when it's the same price ($7.49) on GetGamesGo w/ no coupons?

{Raises eyebrow}

Need more info!

EDIT:

Why would anyone buy The Bureau from Amazon DVG and waste a coupon to get it down to $7.49...

{Raises eyebrow}
Team-mate AI seems pretty weak, I mostly micromange them, but I haven't really given them a chance to shine on their own (though I doubt they do, from what little freedom I've given them.)

I snagged it from Amazon because I have enough coupons and I'd rather support Tony at the same price. (Technically 1% cheaper than buying from GGG, due to my CC foreign transaction fee.... so $0.08 cheaper.)

<busts out an eyebrow tweezing kit>

Wouldn't it make more sense to save the coupon for something else?

Or maybe even help out/make a deal with someone else who really wants/needs the coupon on a worthwhile Amazon DVG deal?
y would they save the coupon for something else in that scenario

even if they bought everything on sale form ec so far they'd have over 24,950 coupons left

wtf are they saving them for

Need more info!

EDIT:

{Raises eyebrow}
One reason, and usually my reason for buying on Amazon, is I got those Amazon dollars from Bing and Swagbucks. I like to build the backlog for as close to zero as possible. Others may have different reasons.

Need more info!

EDIT:

{Raises eyebrow}
Super simple answer actually. I have plenty more than enough EC promos without even trying to get any. Never bought any shit like Pizza dude. Probably the only thing I kinda bought for EC was Deadpool DLC at 75% off, and that actually worked out great because otherwise I wouldn't have it at all.

Next easy part of the equation is I have Amazon GC I earn basically for free to spend, so why would I want to spend cash elsewhere?

Hope that calms the spasms in your eyebrow.

EDIT:

And to add to that, I'd rather buy from Tony and Amazon. He deserves the sale and their system doesn't fail me much if ever. The other sites like gamefly and gamestop are always a hassle of some sort. Not sure if I ever used getgames.

Team-mate AI seems pretty weak, I mostly micromange them, but I haven't really given them a chance to shine on their own (though I doubt they do, from what little freedom I've given them.)

I snagged it from Amazon because I have enough coupons and I'd rather support Tony at the same price. (Technically 1% cheaper than buying from GGG, due to my CC foreign transaction fee.... so $0.08 cheaper.)

<busts out an eyebrow tweezing kit>
Can you completely turn their AI off and just micro-manage the hell out of them?

Have they literally ignored you and done their own thing, after you gave them orders?

About your point on picking Amazon DVG over GGG - fair enough. {shrug}

Only thing for me is - I don't think GGG does tax; Amazon DVG does, on the other hand.

If you gonna try and fix my eyebrow thing, we so gotta fix your twitching thing! :p

I get no DVG tax on Amazon, here's my checkout page if I pull the trigger:  

PC Download:

$12.49

Promotion Applied:

-$5.00

pixel-grey._V192251177_.gif

Total Before Tax:

$7.49

Estimated Tax:

$0.00

Total:

$7.49

Gift Card:

-$7.49

Order total: $0.00

Can you completely turn their AI off and just micro-manage the hell out of them?

Have they literally ignored you and done their own thing, after you gave them orders?

About your point on picking Amazon DVG over GGG - fair enough. {shrug}

Only thing for me is - I don't think GGG does tax; Amazon DVG does, on the other hand.

If you gonna try and fix my eyebrow thing, we so gotta fix your twitching thing! :p
If I command them to a position they seem to stay there, otherwise they move on their own.

Not all of us pay Amazon tax.... and those living at a McDonalds in Oregon don't either. ;)

I explained my twitching thing... I explained the only solution to it... are you advocating genocide?

If I command them to a position they seem to stay there, otherwise they move on their own.

Not all of us pay Amazon tax.... and those living at a McDonalds in Oregon don't either. ;)

I explained my twitching thing... I explained the only solution to it... are you advocating genocide?
Why would you want to live in a McDonalds? You're a weird cat.

Also, I'm against genocide, but I'm all for twitchicide.

thanks for the key via pm :D god i love this place, full of crazy but mostly good people.
You're welcome.

Well, looks like I took you too serious :p

But hey, now I have Gobliiins Trilogy and Irem Arcade hits, too :D/

secret ginger code activated

39dfa270-8343-4d5d-b0ee-b12658b2fde8.jpg

I get no DVG tax on Amazon, here's my checkout page if I pull the trigger:

PC Download: $12.49 Promotion Applied: -$5.00

Total Before Tax: $7.49 Estimated Tax: $0.00 Total: $7.49 Gift Card: -$7.49

Order total: $0.00
$0 = sounds killer to me.

{Eyebrow raised}

EDIT:

I don't have any Amazon GC's though, currently.

Working on that w/ the Bing Rewards thing, though.

EDIT 2:

Naw, not interested in going to war w/ you.

I like being friends w/ Ashes - even despite your twitching quirk. :D

Sorry, I may have missed this; but did Tony say how long these Square and Rockstar deals will last?  Also, are these most likely the last of the new deals?  

Awesome EC sale this year, thanks Tony!  Renewing my practice of only buying Amazon the last 2 months of the year :)

Sorry, I may have missed this; but did Tony say how long these Square and Rockstar deals will last? Also, are these most likely the last of the new deals?

Awesome EC sale this year, thanks Tony! Renewing my practice of only buying Amazon the last 2 months of the year :)
They're both lasting til the end of the sale (31st). No idea if these are the last of the deals...I wouldn't be surprised if they were, but I also wouldn't be surprised if Tony pulled off a few more in the last week.

Okay I have run through both GTA III and Vice City a bit and Ginput works very well on both of those games. However it seems no matter what I do I can't get Ginput for San Andreas to work at all. Has anyone gotten Ginput to work for San Andreas yet? How did you do it. I've tried a few different asi launchers and downgrading the version both to 1.0 and 1.01. I've read all the readme files and done everything written. Nothing works. Help please?

Last edited:
I am sure I am quite late to the party here, but why would anyone prefer to play GTA with a controller instead of a keyboard and mouse?

Why would you intentionally handicap yourself?

It's under-rated in the reviews IMO. it's good as long as you know what you're getting into.

It's not X-COM, though it is pretty satisfying getting to shoot sectoids in the face as an X-COM fan.

It's not one of those squad shooters where you control your guy assisted by the AI.

People complain about the AI sucking but the point of the game is you're meant to micro manage your team mates. Perhaps even more so then you are meant to take part in the fight yourself. You're not meant to sit there shooting at the enemy hoping your team will do the same.

As an XCOM fan, that mostly dislikes shooters, and likes games in which I get to micro manage things - I think it's pretty neat - certainly for the sale prices it sees. it gets bonus points for being unlike any game I've ever played before - I like games that play uniquely.

If they sell to the US, you can get it cheaper here with the pre-order DLC: http://www.simplycdkeys.com/steam/the-bureau-xcom-declassified

That's where I got my copy.

It's under-rated in the reviews IMO. it's good as long as you know what you're getting into.

It's not X-COM, though it is pretty satisfying getting to shoot sectoids in the face as an X-COM fan.

It's not one of those squad shooters where you control your guy assisted by the AI.

People complain about the AI sucking but the point of the game is you're meant to micro manage your team mates. Perhaps even more so then you are meant to take part in the fight yourself. You're not meant to sit there shooting at the enemy hoping your team will do the same.

As an XCOM fan, that mostly dislikes shooters, and likes games in which I get to micro manage things - I think it's pretty neat - certainly for the sale prices it sees. it gets bonus points for being unlike any game I've ever played before - I like games that play uniquely.

If they sell to the US, you can get it cheaper here with the pre-order DLC: http://www.simplycdkeys.com/steam/the-bureau-xcom-declassified

I was thinking of buying on that website The Bureau but I've checked some reviews and some people seems that they did get a duplicated key and/or didn't answered their calls/e-mail tickets.

I was thinking of buying on that website The Bureau but I've checked some reviews and some people seems that they did get a duplicated key and/or didn't answered their calls/e-mail tickets.
I've not seen any problems myself. They feature a lot on UK deals sites and are highly regarded.

They send you scans from retail games* so there's always the chance of human error vs receiving a list of digital codes from a publisher and forwarding those on. But they have great reviews on trust pilot and such like and aren't afraid to share their phone number (admittedly not much use to you guys!), email and social networking sites so I'd imagine they're fairly willing to resolve issues?

*The retail games market is incredibly competitive in the UK. Before GMG came along you'd have been crazy to buy a PC game digitally outside of Steam sales.

Honestly the idea that your teammates are initially incompetent in Declassified seems almost intended. It's XCOM at heart, they should be! So long as they magically get better on leveling then it totally fits. They should run away when shot, hide in front of the enemy group you didn't intend to fight yet, and get the medic killed for trying to save them while they cower, missing every shot.

Aha - as long as you can micro-manage your team-mate AI; the AI actually listens to you; and doesn't really do their own thing - good! That was my biggest worry w/ this game - can't control your party too much; and/or the AI doesn't listen to your orders at times.

Getting more interested in this now - a few people (you and Ashes) are liking this thing...

EDIT:

Honestly the idea that your teammates are initially incompetent in Declassified seems almost intended. It's XCOM at heart, they should be! So long as they magically get better on leveling then it totally fits. They should run away when shot, hide in front of the enemy group you didn't intend to fight yet, and get the medic killed for trying to save them while they cower, missing every shot.
So, say a teammate gets shot - does a symbol or something fly over your teammate's head and put them in "Panic" mode where they run around lost? I can see this, after checking out XCOM: EU (during a Free Weekend) - since that does happen in that.

Nah, they don't start crap and get better. Your soldiers are skilled at killing things but complete morons tactically. But that's X-COM too. If the enemy flanks your soldiers in X-COM, you have to move them out the way or they're going to die. The only thing the AI will do for you in X-COM is a reaction shot. And equally the only thing your troops will do here is return fire whilst moaning about how shot up they are getting. It's up to you to relocate them to sensible cover, heal them, and direct their use of special moves.

Aha - as long as you can micro-manage your team-mate AI; the AI actually listens to you; and doesn't really do their own thing - good! That was my biggest worry w/ this game - can't control your party too much; and/or the AI doesn't listen to your orders at times.
You have a lot of control over them. One of the main issues is that actually controlling them from your low down on the battlefield perspective isn't quite as convenient as the more overhead perspective of XCOM. Especially as its happening in slow motion time rather than turn based so you are taking fire whilst trying to get the damned cursor where you want it on the 3d plane!

EDIT:

So, say a teammate gets shot - does a symbol or something fly over your teammate's head and put them in "Panic" mode where they run around lost? I can see this, after checking out XCOM: EU (during a Free Weekend) - since that does happen in that.
Not that I've noticed but that's more a morale mechanic than a specific unit getting shot and doesn't tend to get introduced into the XCOM games until later on in when the enemies start using willpower based attacks (or unless you;re getting lots of your squad killed!). So I may have just not got far enough in The Bureau to experience that. As mentioned above, they do warn you verbally if they are getting shot at and need your intervention.

I know, I'm asking a lot of questions here....

Hmmmm - so I guess my next questions are...

Are there multiple difficulty modes?

And if yes - what difficulty did you play on and how easy/hard was it?

They are difficulty modes.  I'm playing on easy cause I generally dislike shooters and so have little experience with them and are generally rubbish.  So far, it's easy on easy. :D  I mean you have to play it, your squad will die quickly enough if you leave them to it, but I've not looked like losing a fight yet.

You have a lot of control over them. One of the main issues is that actually controlling them from your low down on the battlefield perspective isn't quite as convenient as the more overhead perspective of XCOM. Especially as its happening in slow motion time rather than turn based so you are taking fire whilst trying to get the damned cursor where you want it on the 3d plane!

Not that I've noticed but that's more a morale mechanic than a specific unit getting shot and doesn't tend to get introduced into the XCOM games until later on in when the enemies start using willpower based attacks (or unless you;re getting lots of your squad killed!). So I may have just not got far enough in The Bureau to experience that. As mentioned above, they do warn you verbally if they are getting shot at and need your intervention.
All good to know!

Guess you REALLY have to pay attention to your squad - which is fine b/c in other tactical games w/ party members like DAO, I was always pausing and micro-managing every move. I didn't even really use the Tactics menus or any of that - since I was so used to how BG1+2, where I would often flip the AI switch off (since it had one); pause like crazy; issues orders to just control the party (especially since path-finding in those games w/ AI on wasn't so hot).

Since you mentioned overhead views - so is there any overhead isometric XCOM-like view that you can switch to here in The Bureau?

All good to know!

Guess you REALLY have to pay attention to your squad - which is fine b/c in other tactical games w/ party members like DAO, I was always pausing and micro-managing every move. I didn't even really use the Tactics menus or any of that - since I was so used to how BG1+2, where I would often flip the AI off; pause like crazy; issues orders to just control the party (especially since path-finding in those games w/ AI on wasn't so hot).

Since you mentioned overhead views - so is there any overhead isometric XCOM-like view that you can switch to here in The Bureau?
Yeah that's how I like to do it as well. if you like that kind of thing, I can strongly recommend the indie game Aarklash Legacy. A lot of people dislike it because its pure micro management all the way. If you're a bundle fan you may own its published prequel Confrontation which isn't regarded as highly (though I still liked it) but will serve as a nice demo for the playstyle of the series.

There's no overhead view I've seen. It takes place from your over the shoulder perspective which makes picking out cover or aiming explosives far away from you a touch less convenient than you'd perhaps ideally like.

Yeah that's how I like to do it as well. if you like that kind of thing, I can strongly recommend the indie game Aarklash Legacy. A lot of people dislike it because its pure micro management all the way. If you're a bundle fan you may own its published prequel Confrontation which isn't regarded as highly (though I still liked it) but will serve as a nice demo for the playstyle of the series.

There's no overhead view I've seen. It takes place from your over the shoulder perspective which makes picking out cover or aiming explosives far away from you a touch less convenient than you'd perhaps ideally like.
I don't know what it was w/ Confrontation, but after the first few hours playing solo - I was bored; and never came back. Something just felt missing to me and some stuff felt rough around the edges. It wasn't the combat - I actually liked that. I think it was the rest of the game that made me throw up a "Meh." All of the Lore/Info stuff being delegated to the main menu is just...silly - especially when one of the highlights of GoT: RPG was going through all of that Lore stuff in-game; and since that game's story & characters were really good.

A part of me might be thinking Confrontation might be better off played w/ others, as well - given the way it seems to put combat first and everything else (story, characters, Lore, etc) last.

I'm used to games like Mass Effect and others where I can stay in-game; take a break from missions somewhere in-game (usually a camp, HQ, etc); and just read/listen to the Lore/Info stuff to try to get myself immersed into the game's story, world, and atmosphere. Of course, ME series is extremely well-written, when compared to something like Confrontation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back