Amazon PCDD - Important Update New Community Manager Incoming!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amazon DVG Deals

Official Representative
Feedback
4 (100%)
Hey CAGS,

I’ve got some news I’m both excited and sad to share with you at the same time. I’ll be leaving the Digital Video Games team in Mid-March to join the marketing team for Amazon.com’s Loyalty and Rewards program, Amazon Coins. My boss and I have talked extensively about how to maintain and continue our presence here and across the other communities we’ve created in the past couple of years. To that end I’d like to introduce you to Josh, who take over monitoring, updating, and responding to this thread. Josh will be ramping up over the next couple of weeks, he  will be posting shortly to introduce himself.

Now that the “what’s going on” part of the message is out of the way I want to tell you all how much I love CAG and the posters here. This was the first community I joined when I started this job (anyone still remember that first thread?) and all of you have had a huge hand in shaping how we think about and execute Community Development and Management here at Amazon, which has in turn shaped my career these last two and a half years.

I started to write out a section calling out the regular posters and realized the list would be both overly long and incomplete at the same time. Instead I’d like to thank you all again, you all have my deep and sincere gratitude. I’ll still be around and my gaming accounts aren’t going anywhere so feel free to hit me up anytime you want to chat. I’ll probably still hang out in the thread too :).

Thanks again everyone, let me or Josh know if you have any questions!

The Indie Store has launched!
Amazon.com is launching a storefront dedicated to supporting and promoting PC/Mac/Web-based Indie Games. Our Digital Video Games team is a small group of passionate gamers and we’re all really excited to help Indie developers reach more customers quickly by providing a quick and simple process for bringing their games to market. Additionally we’ll be supporting the Indie Store with a ton of promotions, both at and after launch. Many of these promotions are designed to give the developer the opportunity to maximize their revenue. For example, Amazon is forfeiting all royalties from bundle sales and passing them along directly to the developer, we’ve also created an “Indie Spotlight” program to help customers learn more about the games and developers they love. We view the Indie developers as some of the most creative in the industry and we want to help them continue to create new and innovative experience for customers.

Why we are doing this:

• Allow customers to discover an entirely new category of games on Amazon.com
  • Help developers reach new customers quickly. Our onboarding process is straightforward and we want to sell every Indie game available
  • We want to leverage our strengths to support and help the developers who are driving forward innovation and creativity in the games industry
General Information

Hi CAGs,
I'll be posting deals we're running on Digital Games (PC/Mac, Free to Play, Sony/Microsoft Points/Subs).

I'm also here to answer questions you might have, get you closer to the developers by hosting Q&As, setting up podcasts, live streaming gameplay etc. If I don't respond to a question you have in thread please send me a PM. These ping my email address and make it more likely that I will see your question and respond more quickly.

Cheers,
Tony

FYI. EA Games sold by Amazon will not activate on Steam.
F.A.Q.S.:

1. Does the game I'm buying from Amazon Activate on Steam/Origin/Uplay? What DRM does the game use?

There are two places to identify DRM on a digital video game detail page:

At the top of the page, below the title:

16hm7a8.png

In the "Product Description" section:

r06ykl.jpg

2. Note on Electronic Arts Games - For the most part, EA games sold on Amazon do not activate on Steam. Most activate on Origin.

3. Note on DRM with limited activations:

Our Policy

4. Sometimes I'll do giveaways.

5. I work with developers and publishers to get fun (or at least what I think is fun) content to share with you all. Here are some examples:

a. Check out the Pax Gameplay videos here: Xcom: Enemy Unknown I played Xcom with Jake, the Creative Director for the game, a few months before the game came out Also, on this page, check out the Q&A, also a community driven event.

b. Check out the interview on this page: Borderlands 2 we did this interview at E3 with Randy Pitchford this year.

c. We've partnered with the ++GoodGames Podcast to feature many of the games we carry. They talk to the developers about the game development process, how the games are conceptualized and managed, all kinds of fun stuff. I'm working on putting together full link list and will update when I have it.

What else do we sell?

Xbox Live Points and Subscriptions:

1600 Microsoft Live Points
4000 Microsoft Live Points
12 Month XBOX Live Subscription
3 Month XBOX Live Subscription]
12 Month + 1 XBOX Live Subscription

PSN+ Subscriptions and PSN Points:

$20 PSN Points
$50 PSN Points
12 Month PSN+ Subscription
3 Month PSN+ Subscription

We also have a Free-2-Play store supported by our GameConnect technology. Gameconnect allows you to link your Amazon.com account with free-2-play and MMO accounts so that you can buy things like in game currency, premium game time/subscriptions, in game items, etc. on Amazon.com using your Amazon.com payment options and have this content delivered directly into your game.

5. Price Matching notes: Generally we do not match international retailers (GMG, Gamersgate, etc) or physical retailers (Best Buy, Newegg.com, etc.)
To check out the Free-2-Play games we offer you can visit our storefront here: Free-2-Play Store

Last edited by a moderator:
Playing BL2 for the free weekend. I'm not sure if it's due to my recent driver update or the game, but BL2 doesn't have the screen tearing issue I'd see in BL1 on occasion. Playing as Maya. So far her special skills are pretty much a waste, so I'm missing my Mordecai, but looks like she can do pretty substantial amounts of damage later on. 

Anyway, looks like at least money and health and ammo are automatically picked up now, which is a huge improvement over BL1. At least when stuff is from kills, anyway--they didn't do the same for chests, which makes no sense to me. I'm also still annoyed that holding E to grab everything from a chest also still switches out your equipment for whatever you happen to be looking at. That's something that was annoying enough in the first game that they really should have fixed. There was more than one time that I ended up accidentally trading out my shield or grenade and never realized it until I had no idea where my good equipment had gone. It's a really bad system IMO.

Hoping it hits $15 on GMG soon. I'll use my credit there for it and pick it up for

Playing as Maya. So far her special skills are pretty much a waste, so I'm missing my Mordecai, but looks like she can do pretty substantial amounts of damage later on.
Wut?! :shock:

Phaselock I found awesome even at early levels. Good for occupying that tough guy while taking care of the trash mob. When you get converge, it gets even better. Converge + Ruin is practically necessary once you get to UVHM, but at lower playthroughs it's borderline cheating.

Wut?! :shock:

Phaselock I found awesome even at early levels. Good for occupying that tough guy while taking care of the trash mob. When you get converge, it gets even better. Converge + Ruin is practically necessary once you get to UVHM, but at lower playthroughs it's borderline cheating.
I'm at level 7. It doesn't last long enough, and my guns aren't good enough yet, to be of much use at all. I do use it to basically take the big guy out for a few seconds, but it doesn't last to make much of a difference at this point.

Got to level 3 before hitting my first game-breaking bug in The Elder Scrolls. Finished a quest and the game keeps me locked into talking with the NPC, despite the fact the dialogue is over. Nothing I do can remove me from the talk dialogue screen. Even logging out and logging back in doesn't fix it.

Level 3. Game-breaking bug. This is being released when?

PS: I'm perfectly happy with no sales for a bit, gives me time to play games :)
That was a bug when I tested it 3 weeks or so ago.

One thing to remember with a beta . .especially a MMO .. is what you are playing is nothing near what the release will be with release day patches.

Chances are that bug was squashed it will not be there once the game releases.

90% of the testing that is going on now (and for the last few months) is primarily stress testing. Seeing how the well the servers can handle lots of people. Even the last email I got said to get in on the stress test this Saturday :)

But like most MMO's, or always online DRM games, it will probably fail at launch. No matter how much "stress" testing happens the authentication servers )or something else) almost always crash under pressure preventing people from logging in and playing.

One thing to remember with a beta . .especially a MMO .. is what you are playing is nothing near what the release will be with release day patches.
IDK, that one reminds of of the old WoW stuck-in-looting bug... which stuck around for at least a couple expansions.

/reloadui helps for some people (myself included)

Really would like a price match on Castlevania pretty please  :pray: oh and I am getting an amazon sale withdrawal we need some offers on I need to spend my money lol

Playing BL2 for the free weekend. I'm not sure if it's due to my recent driver update or the game, but BL2 doesn't have the screen tearing issue I'd see in BL1 on occasion. Playing as Maya. So far her special skills are pretty much a waste, so I'm missing my Mordecai, but looks like she can do pretty substantial amounts of damage later on.
Correct... Maya can do massive amounts of damage later in the game. She's also one of the very best at crowd control. Phaselock the toughest guy in view (now he's out of the picture for a moment), all the surrounding guys are drawn together towards the phaselock, all take massive slag/elemental damage. In the meantime, you mop up the crowd that's left over and enjoy faster shooting and higher gun damage.

The sniper in this game plays much differently than Mordecai. Zer0 is best as a melee player, but he can definitely be decked out to do some massive sniping damage. Finding the right balance that pleases you shouldn't be too hard.

Anyway, looks like at least money and health and ammo are automatically picked up now, which is a huge improvement over BL1. At least when stuff is from kills, anyway--they didn't do the same for chests, which makes no sense to me. I'm also still annoyed that holding E to grab everything from a chest also still switches out your equipment for whatever you happen to be looking at. That's something that was annoying enough in the first game that they really should have fixed. There was more than one time that I ended up accidentally trading out my shield or grenade and never realized it until I had no idea where my good equipment had gone. It's a really bad system IMO.

Hoping it hits $15 on GMG soon. I'll use my credit there for it and pick it up for <$5. Short of that, I'll keep enjoying the free weekend for a few more days via offline mode and changing my clock (I was busy the past few days, so didn't get to play until today.)
A waste? Say what? I feel like Maya is the easiest character to use in the game, even early on. Phaselock is a godsend in every situation, especially when you start decking it out with perks (the healing one, especially). Even the toughest, most armored enemies can just be phaselocked, then sidestepped and shot in the head at point blank till they're dead.

BL2 has been super cheap in the past. I'm surprised interested people don't have it yet. 50% off is sorta terrible, even at the new MSRP, compared to past sales.

Still too high for a CAG
Interesting tidbit... Since I bought everything near release, I've probably spent around $75 on BL2+DLC. At 395 hours, that's about $0.18 an hour. I probably have 200+ bundle games that average out to let's say, $0.20 each. I may have played 5 of them for a collective total of < 5 hours. I think I've gotten my money's worth out of BL2.

Something else to think about... How many people have bought or are waiting to buy BL2 and haven't finished/started BL1? Those same people probably waited to get BL1 once it dropped to $5 for the GOTY. See the trend?

Interesting tidbit... Since I bought everything near release, I've probably spent around $75 on BL2+DLC. At 395 hours, that's about $0.18 an hour. I probably have 200+ bundle games that average out to let's say, $0.20 each. I may have played 5 of them for a collective total of < 5 hours. I think I've gotten my money's worth out of BL2.

Something else to think about... How many people have bought or are waiting to buy BL2 and haven't finished/started BL1? Those same people probably waited to get BL1 once it dropped to $5 for the GOTY. See the trend?
But you're just about done with BL2 and yet you have a huuuuuuuge backlog of bundle games that'll last you into your 60's.

There's no comparison =P

yeah but if you'd have waited til it was 5 bucks, you would have spent .013 cents per hour

idiot

Well stated.

I paid $7.50 for BL1 GOTY (the very first time it hit $7.50 (75% off) and played it pretty promptly (150 hours). I picked up BL2+Mechromancer+Season Pass for ~$30 total 3-4 months after release (150 hours)... honestly I wish I'd just gotten in the $30-35 BL2 pre-orders. There are my two longest-played Steam games, and I've gotten a ton of enjoyment out of them... it's very similar to Elder Scrolls' fans on CAG ordering Skyrim near release... they really like it, they'll play it a ton... money well spent.

IIRC a while back CAGs were posting some interesting stats.. like how they've only played (not beaten, launched) ~20% of games in their collection.

Talking about Borderlands 2, I bought base game during Decemeber 2012 on the "Gamersgate epic fail". It was in €, but for that time, was a 4-pack around  4$ at maximum.

The thing is: you didn't care about price when you bought BL2 stuff b/c you bought something you knew that you'd get TONS of mileage out of. When you keep replaying games + buying DLC's/expansions and you actually keep playing said game - you certainly are getting your $'s worth. At 395 hrs and counting - I think you've done just fine. :D

My weakness for buying at higher-prices usually normally include games from BioWare, Obsidian, Bethesda, CD Projekt, and long-winded RPG's - i.e. games I think I know I'll spent TONS of time with.

Me, I'm normally not really one to replay games. I might do one run-through and that's it - especially if it's long and big w/ tons to do, there's a MUCH less likely chance it'll get a 2nd run-through.

If it's a short game (like 5-10 hours) per play-through like Shadow of Destiny w/ numerous different endings - there's a better chance that I'll replay it.

I don't even wanna think about my Steam, retail, Origin, Gamersgate, Retail, and other services/clients backlog w/ stuff unfinished, untouched, barely started, never installed, never downloaded, and/or anything of the sort. All I know - I at least have these games, in case that game stops getting distributed.

Chances are that bug was squashed it will not be there once the game releases.

90% of the testing that is going on now (and for the last few months) is primarily stress testing. Seeing how the well the servers can handle lots of people. Even the last email I got said to get in on the stress test this Saturday :)

But like most MMO's, or always online DRM games, it will probably fail at launch. No matter how much "stress" testing happens the authentication servers )or something else) almost always crash under pressure preventing people from logging in and playing.
Tell that to Square Enix and FFIV original. They kept promising during beta massive update at release... never came.

I thought the US site got by that time the same price error as the EU. I was wrong then.
It was a cascading problem that GG kept making it worse (applying a 50% discount multiple times)... I was drawn in initially drawn in by BL2 (1-pack) at $16... then the 4-pack dropped to $22.50, then $11.25, even to $6.xx (I'd see a screenshot, the site was well hammered by then, but I hadn't seen conclusive evidence that anyone got in at the $6 before it got pulled). There's a few other details there I'm not remembering off the top of my head. Also the season pass briefly was $7.50 but that got fixed before the really deep BL2 drops. It was a total and complete mess.

Mind you, at the time BL2's best sale price anywhere else was ~$30 (maybe as low as $25)... BL2 pre-orders (which came with the Mechro pack) were still a better/even deal.

I'm still marking that down as CAG-fail on your permanent record.

Technically, the recent $14.99 GOTY is actually cheaper even if you take into account the lowest price for each DLC.
$15?!? Do you think I'm made of money?!? =P

The only times I've paid over $10 for a game was for Football Manager 2013, cos they never seem to go below $15 and that game series is a huge favourite of mine, and BF3 Premium for $18. I loved the game on PS3 but I wanted to play it with mouse/kb when I got my new gaming laptop.

Since then I've become more price savvy, have a huge collection of games as a result and I can wait for AAA titles I want to be GOTY 75% off or bundled, whichever comes first.

The game will still be just as good when I get it. I'll play something else till then.

I got BL1 GOTY at $7.50 and played it immediately and had a lot of fun doing so, aside from a number of annoyances with the game. I spent around 43 hours on it. I'll play BL2 as soon as I get it, but I'm not buying until I can get it for $15 on GMG (where I have credit because I'm not spending money on games outside HB for the rest of the year.)

TBH I think it's a bit weird that you're calling out CAGs for being CAGs. o_O

I got BL1 GOTY at $7.50 and played it immediately and had a lot of fun doing so, aside from a number of annoyances with the game. I spent around 43 hours on it. I'll play BL2 as soon as I get it, but I'm not buying until I can get it for $15 on GMG (where I have credit because I'm not spending money on games outside HB for the rest of the year.)

TBH I think it's a bit weird that you're calling out CAGs for being CAGs. o_O
I bought BL1 GOTY when it first went on sale for $7.50 years ago. I put 107 hours into it and that was just solo. It was a great game, but I'm just not buying BL2 until there is a true complete edition at $7.50 also. I have over 300 steam games plus I just won Sleeping Dogs and Thief from Alienware.

I have no reason to buy anything until it's cheap as hell. CAGing my way to my grave here.

I was able to get Borderlands 2 complete so far for I believe $20.50 or so over the holidays.  Not a great deal, but it includes all the DLC released so far.  Unfortunately, who knows how much more DLC will be released for the game...

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back