Amazon PCDD - Important Update New Community Manager Incoming!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amazon DVG Deals

Official Representative
Feedback
4 (100%)
Hey CAGS,

I’ve got some news I’m both excited and sad to share with you at the same time. I’ll be leaving the Digital Video Games team in Mid-March to join the marketing team for Amazon.com’s Loyalty and Rewards program, Amazon Coins. My boss and I have talked extensively about how to maintain and continue our presence here and across the other communities we’ve created in the past couple of years. To that end I’d like to introduce you to Josh, who take over monitoring, updating, and responding to this thread. Josh will be ramping up over the next couple of weeks, he  will be posting shortly to introduce himself.

Now that the “what’s going on” part of the message is out of the way I want to tell you all how much I love CAG and the posters here. This was the first community I joined when I started this job (anyone still remember that first thread?) and all of you have had a huge hand in shaping how we think about and execute Community Development and Management here at Amazon, which has in turn shaped my career these last two and a half years.

I started to write out a section calling out the regular posters and realized the list would be both overly long and incomplete at the same time. Instead I’d like to thank you all again, you all have my deep and sincere gratitude. I’ll still be around and my gaming accounts aren’t going anywhere so feel free to hit me up anytime you want to chat. I’ll probably still hang out in the thread too :).

Thanks again everyone, let me or Josh know if you have any questions!

The Indie Store has launched!
Amazon.com is launching a storefront dedicated to supporting and promoting PC/Mac/Web-based Indie Games. Our Digital Video Games team is a small group of passionate gamers and we’re all really excited to help Indie developers reach more customers quickly by providing a quick and simple process for bringing their games to market. Additionally we’ll be supporting the Indie Store with a ton of promotions, both at and after launch. Many of these promotions are designed to give the developer the opportunity to maximize their revenue. For example, Amazon is forfeiting all royalties from bundle sales and passing them along directly to the developer, we’ve also created an “Indie Spotlight” program to help customers learn more about the games and developers they love. We view the Indie developers as some of the most creative in the industry and we want to help them continue to create new and innovative experience for customers.

Why we are doing this:

• Allow customers to discover an entirely new category of games on Amazon.com
  • Help developers reach new customers quickly. Our onboarding process is straightforward and we want to sell every Indie game available
  • We want to leverage our strengths to support and help the developers who are driving forward innovation and creativity in the games industry
General Information

Hi CAGs,
I'll be posting deals we're running on Digital Games (PC/Mac, Free to Play, Sony/Microsoft Points/Subs).

I'm also here to answer questions you might have, get you closer to the developers by hosting Q&As, setting up podcasts, live streaming gameplay etc. If I don't respond to a question you have in thread please send me a PM. These ping my email address and make it more likely that I will see your question and respond more quickly.

Cheers,
Tony

FYI. EA Games sold by Amazon will not activate on Steam.
F.A.Q.S.:

1. Does the game I'm buying from Amazon Activate on Steam/Origin/Uplay? What DRM does the game use?

There are two places to identify DRM on a digital video game detail page:

At the top of the page, below the title:

16hm7a8.png

In the "Product Description" section:

r06ykl.jpg

2. Note on Electronic Arts Games - For the most part, EA games sold on Amazon do not activate on Steam. Most activate on Origin.

3. Note on DRM with limited activations:

Our Policy

4. Sometimes I'll do giveaways.

5. I work with developers and publishers to get fun (or at least what I think is fun) content to share with you all. Here are some examples:

a. Check out the Pax Gameplay videos here: Xcom: Enemy Unknown I played Xcom with Jake, the Creative Director for the game, a few months before the game came out Also, on this page, check out the Q&A, also a community driven event.

b. Check out the interview on this page: Borderlands 2 we did this interview at E3 with Randy Pitchford this year.

c. We've partnered with the ++GoodGames Podcast to feature many of the games we carry. They talk to the developers about the game development process, how the games are conceptualized and managed, all kinds of fun stuff. I'm working on putting together full link list and will update when I have it.

What else do we sell?

Xbox Live Points and Subscriptions:

1600 Microsoft Live Points
4000 Microsoft Live Points
12 Month XBOX Live Subscription
3 Month XBOX Live Subscription]
12 Month + 1 XBOX Live Subscription

PSN+ Subscriptions and PSN Points:

$20 PSN Points
$50 PSN Points
12 Month PSN+ Subscription
3 Month PSN+ Subscription

We also have a Free-2-Play store supported by our GameConnect technology. Gameconnect allows you to link your Amazon.com account with free-2-play and MMO accounts so that you can buy things like in game currency, premium game time/subscriptions, in game items, etc. on Amazon.com using your Amazon.com payment options and have this content delivered directly into your game.

5. Price Matching notes: Generally we do not match international retailers (GMG, Gamersgate, etc) or physical retailers (Best Buy, Newegg.com, etc.)
To check out the Free-2-Play games we offer you can visit our storefront here: Free-2-Play Store

Last edited by a moderator:
What's happened is that we now actually have our own digital games section on Amazon UK - with our own local prices and different offers. It's not that we're allowed to shop at the US one with a UK address - we're still not.

I'm not sure whether we have our own clone of Tony, with added British accent, lurking anywhere or not!?
If American Tony has a dog named Paddington, shouldn't English Tony have a dog named Teddy?

Did I really come to the wrong neighborhood? lol

Anyways, the console versions are constantly selling at $15-17 at Amazon. Yes, the PC version is slightly cheaper right now by few bucks but arguing about the price for a sub $20 msrp game is pointless I think. I could easily say the $15-17 console game is resalable/tradable after you are done so effectively making it cheaper than the $13.49 digital PC version.
Definitely the wrong neighborhood. Spend a couple hours with MysterD, let him regale you with stories of the months and months he avoided buying The Secret World on sale for $12.50, before finally buying it at $9.99. :p PC gamers put the cheap in cheapassgamer.

Definitely the wrong neighborhood. Spend a couple hours with MysterD, let him regale you with stories of the months and months he avoided buying The Secret World on sale for $12.50, before finally buying it at $9.99. :p PC gamers put the cheap in cheapassgamer.
He actually bought it for $5ish from a fellow CAG.

Gotcha. He just happened to buy it when TSW went under $10 on Steam. Darn those coincidences!

Point still stands, though -- if you don't see any sense in arguing about sub-$20 prices, you ain't from around here. ;)

Just want to know if it's a Steam key.
it lists the download size as 7.4GB so it's unlikely to be a steam key, which are usually listed with a disclaimer and accompanied by a 300kb or so download size. Either way you should listen to idiot and avoid the steam version. GOG has it on sale quite often and you won't have to mess with awful third party DRM (which judging by all the 1-star reviews is also present in the version amazon sells) :no:

mortal kombat komplete edition

75-off-left-purple.png

OR

GTFO.png

I wanted to go with 75% off or bust but when I bing searched bust, all it returned was pics of idiot's exes with their English horse teeth.

$5.25, to be exact.

To keep my TSW meme going - I decided to throw in the quarter just to buy it at what GMG was selling it for that time I should've and didn't buy it from GMG. ;)

EDIT:

Gotcha. He just happened to buy it when TSW went under $10 on Steam. Darn those coincidences!

Point still stands, though -- if you don't see any sense in arguing about sub-$20 prices, you ain't from around here. ;)
The time I bought it for $5.25 from a fellow CAG - that was when it was recently $10 on Amazon DVG, not on Steam.

I'm happy with MK deal
A part of me is torn - the CAG in me is torn w/ the MK fanatic from way-back (back when I played them at arcades & on the old consoles PSX and older)!

Sure, MK9 ain't 75% off of its current MSRP here and all. But, I broke down and bought it - b/c it's MK.

Plus, I'm hoping we get Injustice on the PC. We have a severe lack of good fighters on the PC.

I'd even like to see even Namco bring Tekken series & Soul Calibur series here, one day. Hey, a dude can dream. ;)

I must say, though - MK9 is absolutely freaking awesome, so I ain't regretting the purchase.

I've been having a blast w/ it. :D

Certainly worth the money, even though I didn't go my normal 75% off current MSRP route.

Sometimes, the CAG in me just fails - and that ain't too often.

Often, that might be on special occasions like my birthday, X-Mas or some particular game I can't wait on.

It happens, every now and then...

Mortal Kombat Collection has been $2.25 before, apparently, and War in the North has been $4ish. I think Batman has been $5, but I could be wrong.

If you really want all of the games, it's not a terrible bundle though.
I am pretty sure B:AC GOTY hasn't been $5 yet, maybe regular B:AC. Still the immortal pack deal is better (by a little bit) even with the prices you mentioned when getting them individually. $2.25+$4+$5+$13.49=$24.74 ;)

Note: Steam's lowest prices for B:AC GOTY @ 7.49, LOTR:War in the North @ 9.99, MK:Kollection @4.99 from what I found on a site that tracks steam sales.

I am pretty sure B:AC GOTY hasn't been $5 yet, maybe regular B:AC. Still the immortal pack deal is better (by a little bit) even with the prices you mentioned when getting them individually. $2.25+$4+$5+$13.49=$24.74 ;)

Note: Steam's lowest prices for B:AC GOTY @ 7.49, LOTR:War in the North @ 9.99, MK:Kollection @4.99 from what I found on a site that tracks steam sales.
GMG has had LotR:WitN for $4.99 often. I got it from them for $3.50 after voucher.

You'd be interested in ES http://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/301685-official-enhanced-steam-discussion-thread/

Also there are more price trackers in my sig. But keep in mind that price trackers will not account for additional coupon discounts, bundles, and may miss some sales.

I found a receipt email from GMG that says "Batman Arkham City: Game of the Year $4.87". That'd be $7.49 with a 35% off coupon on top of it.

That's the survey coupon which a lot of people didn't even take.
Yeah. I'm not sure I'd really consider that $4.87 as a low. I think that outside of bundles, 75% off at $7.50 is the best, at least for a Steam version. That said, I expect that $5-$6 on its own should happen this fall.

Like I said, it's still a pretty good deal if you want all the games. I just don't like the bundle much since MKK is dropping quickly and is gonna be $7.50 sooner rather than later.

Can anyone confirm that the $30 Bioshock Infinite pre-order credit now applies to Brave New World without CR intervention? I checked the checkout page, and it still show full price without promotion off. 

Yeah. I'm not sure I'd really consider that $4.87 as a low. I think that outside of bundles, 75% off at $7.50 is the best, at least for a Steam version. That said, I expect that $5-$6 on its own should happen this fall.
It's been on sale that low at GMG often and as they have a near permanent 20% off voucher its accessible to all low is surely $6 not $7.50?

Certainly I've bought it at that price with a standard 20% off and posted about it as a deal on other occasions.

It's been on sale that low at GMG often and as they have a near permanent 20% off voucher its accessible to all low is surely $6 not $7.50?

Certainly I've bought it at that price with a standard 20% off and posted about it as a deal on other occasions.
For some reason I thought GMG didn't have the Steam version, but I see that it does.

Does GMG, like Amazon and Gamersgate, have a policy of replacing keys if drm activation issues result in a non-usable game?

For some reason I thought GMG didn't have the Steam version, but I see that it does.

Does GMG, like Amazon and Gamersgate, have a policy of replacing keys if drm activation issues result in a non-usable game?
Dunno. I'm not sure such a policy would help you anyway because you wouldn't be able to add the new Steam key on to Steam with an existing one there? Third party sellers supply the Steam key and Steam supply the DRM cd key.

Specifically with regards to AC though, there are strong rumours around the internets (based on changes to its Steam registry) that it's ditching third party DRM (including GfWL) and going full on steamworks.

Dunno. I'm not sure such a policy would help you anyway because you wouldn't be able to add the new Steam key on to Steam with an existing one there? Third party sellers supply the Steam key and Steam supply the DRM cd key.

Specifically with regards to AC though, there are strong rumours around the internets (based on changes to its Steam registry) that it's ditching third party DRM (including GfWL) and going full on steamworks.
You'd need to contact steam support and insist on getting the game removed from your account. It would be more than a hassle. Still better than not having the option, though.

I'd not heard about the rumored DRM change. That would be nice.

You'd need to contact steam support and insist on getting the game removed from your account. It would be more than a hassle. Still better than not having the option, though.

I'd not heard about the rumored DRM change. That would be nice.
You can have Steam remove a game from your account, but if you activate the same game afterward (with a different Steam key) that uses some form of third party CD key DRM, Steam will provide you with the exact same CD key you had last time. They only generate 1 key for you in the client.. and it's permanently tied to your account no matter how many times you have the game removed from your account, so if you run out of activations you have to activate the game on a different Steam account if you want to play it.

You can have Steam remove a game from your account, but if you activate the same game afterward (with a different Steam key) that uses some form of third party CD key DRM, Steam will provide you with the exact same CD key you had last time. They only generate 1 key for you in the client.. and it's permanently tied to your account no matter how many times you have the game removed from your account, so if you run out of activations you have to activate the game on a different Steam account if you want to play it.
Thanks for the info!

More reasons that Steam needs to stop allowing that 3rd party DRM crap on their service that has install/activations limits. Steam is DRM done smarter and better than most - meanwhile Tages and Securom w/ its crap-tastic limits is just flat-out silly. Only thing those Securom and Tages crap really does - it kills the 2nd hand market on the PC. That'll just aggravate legit users, not those pirating the game.

But, Steam does that anyways (kill 2nd hand market - and so does Origin-requires games, for that matter) - so, why the hell 3rd party pub's and dev's need to stay lazy to double-up or more on DRM on Steam-versions by just placing Steam DRM on top of the other DRM garbage (and not disable the other garbage DRM just for the Steam-version), I'll never know.

{shoulder shrug}

I posted this a few pages ago, but it was during a busy posting time. Figured it can't hurt to mention again that a Sims bundle would be awesome, even if its just for Origin. There are very rarely any bundles for the game even though there are so many options for things to bundle together.

Generating a non-working key for a game and refusing to change it strikes me as not legal.

Generating a non-working key for a game and refusing to change it strikes me as not legal.
I don't know whether or not it's legal, but they do warn you about it when you have a game or DLC removed from your account. I experienced it when I had A Valley Without Wind removed from my account.

"If the game was purchased on Steam and you repurchase the game in the future, your Steam account will receive the same CD Key it was initially assigned."

Note: Applies to Steam keys, and purchases made within Steam.. The new AVWW I activated was a Steam key I got from an IR bundle and it provided the exact same CD key I had on my account before.

I don't know whether or not it's legal, but they do warn you about it when you have a game or DLC removed from your account. I experienced it when I had A Valley Without Wind removed from my account.

"If the game was purchased on Steam and you repurchase the game in the future, your Steam account will receive the same CD Key it was initially assigned."

Note: Applies to Steam keys, and purchases made within Steam.. The new AVWW I activated was a Steam key I got from an IR bundle and it provided the exact same CD key I had on my account before.
I think they can do it...I would imagine, if you explain the circumstances they can make it so your new key is attached to your account. The copy of Dead Island I bought during the wave of stolen Dead Island keys was removed from my account, and I added a new copy to my account with a new key.

I think they can do it...I would imagine, if you explain the circumstances they can make it so your new key is attached to your account. The copy of Dead Island I bought during the wave of stolen Dead Island keys was removed from my account, and I added a new copy to my account with a new key.
Dead Island has no third party DRM.. doesn't really have anything to do with what I was saying.

Dead Island has no third party DRM.. doesn't really have anything to do with what I was saying.
Right. Steam DRM only cares about your Steam-account. Dead Island only uses Steam DRM, nothing else. There's no BS of install limits or limited activations on Steam DRM - which is unlike Tages and Securom normally.

When 3rd party dev's and/or pub's enforce to use (also) Tages and Securom DRM, they often usually have install-limits and activation-limits.

And if Steam won't give you NEW Tages or Securom keys - then, that sucks; and is also even more reason dev's and pub's shouldn't enable that Non-Steam DRM Garbage in Steam-versions of games.

Hes just trying to get you to go on ad nauseum about how you don't like 3rd party DRM

and it worked
Good.

And hopefully - dev's, pub's, Steam, Amazon DVG, and everybody here takes bloody note of the non-sense that is of NOT-disabling DRM-limiting DRM garbage in Steam-versions of games - and actually make it happen!

But, the chances of that happening is probably like me winning the $400M or so lottery that just went by - which, did NOT happen.

Ah. I was thinking it was a surprise thing where your newly purchased game doesn't work. Being forewarned is certainly different.

Hes just trying to get you to go on ad nauseum about how you don't like 3rd party DRM

and it worked
Not like anyone really has to try. :p

Most of us don't like it but buy it or don't buy it. Focus and all those other companies still using DRM don't give two shits what some random dude on an internet forum thinks.

And I have no idea what the hell Spoder did to have his AVWW key removed but removing games from someone's account is not something that's done under normal circumstances unless there's some schiesty business going on.

I do know that Arcen (AVWW devs) went and had Valve retroactively add their existing keys for the non-Steam version of that game to register on Steam and some legitimate buyers of that game were not able to register because apparently there was a keygen that people were using to grab those codes and register them before the rightful owners did. I'm not sure why having non-Valve generated keys registered to Steam is more vulnerable to that sort of thing than just using the ones Valve generates but I know Arcen has had similar issues in the past with AI War too.

Not like anyone really has to try. :p

Most of us don't like it but buy it or don't buy it. Focus and all those other companies still using DRM don't give two shits what some random dude on an internet forum thinks.

And I have no idea what the hell Spoder did to have his AVWW key removed but removing games from someone's account is not something that's done under normal circumstances unless there's some schiesty business going on.

I do know that Arcen (AVWW devs) went and had Valve retroactively add their existing keys for the non-Steam version of that game to register on Steam and some legitimate buyers of that game were not able to register because apparently there was a keygen that people were using to grab those codes and register them before the rightful owners did. I'm not sure why having non-Valve generated keys registered to Steam is more vulnerable to that sort of thing than just using the ones Valve generates but I know Arcen has had similar issues in the past with AI War too.
For clarification, I requested AVWW to be removed from my account because it was exploited (I accidentally redeemed one of the keygen'd keys given away by someone, thinking it was legit). However, I didn't have to tell Steam support it was exploited or anything, I just asked for them to remove it and they did so.

Valve will remove games from your account when requested, it's pretty easy to do and not uncommon. You have the right to remove whatever games/dlc from your account.. To say it's not something that's done under normal circumstances is completely false info.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back