Amazon PCDD - Important Update New Community Manager Incoming!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amazon DVG Deals

Official Representative
Feedback
4 (100%)
Hey CAGS,

I’ve got some news I’m both excited and sad to share with you at the same time. I’ll be leaving the Digital Video Games team in Mid-March to join the marketing team for Amazon.com’s Loyalty and Rewards program, Amazon Coins. My boss and I have talked extensively about how to maintain and continue our presence here and across the other communities we’ve created in the past couple of years. To that end I’d like to introduce you to Josh, who take over monitoring, updating, and responding to this thread. Josh will be ramping up over the next couple of weeks, he  will be posting shortly to introduce himself.

Now that the “what’s going on” part of the message is out of the way I want to tell you all how much I love CAG and the posters here. This was the first community I joined when I started this job (anyone still remember that first thread?) and all of you have had a huge hand in shaping how we think about and execute Community Development and Management here at Amazon, which has in turn shaped my career these last two and a half years.

I started to write out a section calling out the regular posters and realized the list would be both overly long and incomplete at the same time. Instead I’d like to thank you all again, you all have my deep and sincere gratitude. I’ll still be around and my gaming accounts aren’t going anywhere so feel free to hit me up anytime you want to chat. I’ll probably still hang out in the thread too :).

Thanks again everyone, let me or Josh know if you have any questions!

The Indie Store has launched!
Amazon.com is launching a storefront dedicated to supporting and promoting PC/Mac/Web-based Indie Games. Our Digital Video Games team is a small group of passionate gamers and we’re all really excited to help Indie developers reach more customers quickly by providing a quick and simple process for bringing their games to market. Additionally we’ll be supporting the Indie Store with a ton of promotions, both at and after launch. Many of these promotions are designed to give the developer the opportunity to maximize their revenue. For example, Amazon is forfeiting all royalties from bundle sales and passing them along directly to the developer, we’ve also created an “Indie Spotlight” program to help customers learn more about the games and developers they love. We view the Indie developers as some of the most creative in the industry and we want to help them continue to create new and innovative experience for customers.

Why we are doing this:

• Allow customers to discover an entirely new category of games on Amazon.com
  • Help developers reach new customers quickly. Our onboarding process is straightforward and we want to sell every Indie game available
  • We want to leverage our strengths to support and help the developers who are driving forward innovation and creativity in the games industry
General Information

Hi CAGs,
I'll be posting deals we're running on Digital Games (PC/Mac, Free to Play, Sony/Microsoft Points/Subs).

I'm also here to answer questions you might have, get you closer to the developers by hosting Q&As, setting up podcasts, live streaming gameplay etc. If I don't respond to a question you have in thread please send me a PM. These ping my email address and make it more likely that I will see your question and respond more quickly.

Cheers,
Tony

FYI. EA Games sold by Amazon will not activate on Steam.
F.A.Q.S.:

1. Does the game I'm buying from Amazon Activate on Steam/Origin/Uplay? What DRM does the game use?

There are two places to identify DRM on a digital video game detail page:

At the top of the page, below the title:

16hm7a8.png

In the "Product Description" section:

r06ykl.jpg

2. Note on Electronic Arts Games - For the most part, EA games sold on Amazon do not activate on Steam. Most activate on Origin.

3. Note on DRM with limited activations:

Our Policy

4. Sometimes I'll do giveaways.

5. I work with developers and publishers to get fun (or at least what I think is fun) content to share with you all. Here are some examples:

a. Check out the Pax Gameplay videos here: Xcom: Enemy Unknown I played Xcom with Jake, the Creative Director for the game, a few months before the game came out Also, on this page, check out the Q&A, also a community driven event.

b. Check out the interview on this page: Borderlands 2 we did this interview at E3 with Randy Pitchford this year.

c. We've partnered with the ++GoodGames Podcast to feature many of the games we carry. They talk to the developers about the game development process, how the games are conceptualized and managed, all kinds of fun stuff. I'm working on putting together full link list and will update when I have it.

What else do we sell?

Xbox Live Points and Subscriptions:

1600 Microsoft Live Points
4000 Microsoft Live Points
12 Month XBOX Live Subscription
3 Month XBOX Live Subscription]
12 Month + 1 XBOX Live Subscription

PSN+ Subscriptions and PSN Points:

$20 PSN Points
$50 PSN Points
12 Month PSN+ Subscription
3 Month PSN+ Subscription

We also have a Free-2-Play store supported by our GameConnect technology. Gameconnect allows you to link your Amazon.com account with free-2-play and MMO accounts so that you can buy things like in game currency, premium game time/subscriptions, in game items, etc. on Amazon.com using your Amazon.com payment options and have this content delivered directly into your game.

5. Price Matching notes: Generally we do not match international retailers (GMG, Gamersgate, etc) or physical retailers (Best Buy, Newegg.com, etc.)
To check out the Free-2-Play games we offer you can visit our storefront here: Free-2-Play Store

Last edited by a moderator:
I have both and The Bureau is much, much better than Aliens CM.

It's £4 here including the pre-order DLC: http://www.simplycdkeys.com/steam/the-bureau-xcom-declassified

Not sure if they sell to the states or not?
I don't know much about this website or anything.

The other thing is - is their game-key regional to the UK, world-wide, or what?

And what is that currency equal to in USD?

EDIT:

Initial download is 15.9 GB...this may take a couple hours. Thanks for all the resources guys!
And that's just the start of things, hehe - prepare for in total a 39GB monster or so, once it does the updates and downloads the rest of the madness.

it's naive to think that online stores like Amazon and Steam dont use psychological tactics to get people to think they're getting a better deal than they really are. I take college courses on this stuff. I'm an economics and finance major. Took a course all about consumer psychology, and we even covered Amazon's lightning deals as being the epitome of psychological-consumer warfare. Another example I can think of is how TRU switches between Buy 2 Save $20 and B1G1 40% off - it yields about the same savings, but many consumers look at each differently. This isn't some unfounded conspiracy theory.

"Dupe" may be for a lack of a better term, but my overall point remains.

when you make statements like "no one expects..." you seem to forget that us CAGGERS in the know are a very small minority compared to the average consumer. I'm mainly referring to those people. And many of those, who didn't know anything about the previous PC sale (or any), have nothing to compare this current promotion to. We pay attention daily, so of course we know.

"this has been a known fact for a while now"

uh...so? Lots of facts have been known for a while now; are you implying we're supposed to know everything, then? I fail to see how this changes everything. Its not like I'm playing it off like I made a great discovery.
Agree w/pretty much all of this. It's called "sales" for a reason...you're trying to sell things to people. I think some people are hesitant to call it "duping" however, because that's a word that seems to imply the entity behind the duping has malicious intent, something many would probably not agree with as being the case with Amazon, due to good customer service and our relationship with Tony.

I would just simply call it a sort of sales marketing. This sort, in particular, is doubly effective. It gets people like us to buy things we would never dream of buying - pizza dude, etc - in a last ditch effort to get more coupons. Then when we have the coupons, we feel obligated to either

A) Use all of them ourselves or

B) Give the extras to someone who will

Because we possess an expiring discount that is exclusive to those who bought from Amazon PCDD in the past, we feel obligated to use them up, potentially buying things we previously would not have bought. Ex) Say Xcom is 10 bucks during a winter sale, then 15 during the EC sale. I think a lot of people would be more willing to buy it during the EC sale, just because they have a coupon they feel they need to get rid of.

Edit: I've gotten so used to sitting in my own poop I forgot to ask - are you ever coming to change my diapers?

I don't know much about this website or anything.

The other thing is - is their game-key regional to the UK, world-wide, or what?

And what is that currency equal to in USD?
It's a little over $6.50

Any region restricted version of Bureau in steamdb.info (ie russian) that would stop you playing it would also have stopped me playing it as far as I can tell and mine works so I presume it is worldwide.

Agree w/pretty much all of this. It's called "sales" for a reason...you're trying to sell things to people. I think some people are hesitant to call it "duping" however, because that's a word that seems to imply the entity behind the duping has malicious intent, something many would probably not agree with as being the case with Amazon, due to good customer service and our relationship with Tony.

I would just simply call it a sort of sales marketing. This sort, in particular, is doubly effective. It gets people like us to buy things we would never dream of buying - pizza dude, etc - in a last ditch effort to get more coupons. Then when we have the coupons, we feel obligated to either

Because we possess an expiring discount that is exclusive to those who bought from Amazon PCDD in the past, we feel obligated to use them up, potentially buying things we previously would not have bought. Ex) Say Xcom is 10 bucks during a winter sale, then 15 during the EC sale. I think a lot of people would be more willing to buy it during the EC sale, just because they have a coupon they feel they need to get rid of.

Edit: I've gotten so used to sitting in my own poop I forgot to ask - are you ever coming to change my diapers?
I think even at cheap prices, some people would take a shot on AC:M + London 2012 - even if there was no EC coupon "chance" attached. At $2 each - what the heck? Once you factor this $5 coupon "chance" on EC stuff - it just makes it even easier to take a risk on it.

Also - after coupon, Dead Space 3: Awakened DLC has NEVER been this cheap ($3.49 after coupon). EA's DLC (especially through Origin) and BioWare DLC (especially THAT w/ their BioWare Points premium pricing crap) often does NOT get this cheap. Dead Space 3: Awakened DLC currently $5.99 on Origin, if you want to make some comparisons here. There's gonna be a few deals like this - where after coupon, it's gonna blow away the competition.

EDIT:

If you want to look at it this way - if you bought AC:M ($2 before tax) [to get your $5 EC coupon] and then bought DS3: Awakening DLC w/ your coupon during EC sale ($3.49 before tax), you just got more games for your buck for around the same kind of $ - since DS3: Awakened DLC alone is $5.99 on Origin currently (before tax). Now, since we're talking about THOSE two games in particular - yeah, who knows about the quality & quantity of content those two particular games. ;)

yes, then we're in agreement; I previously acknowledged that "dupe" was for black of a better term. I think that this particular pricing scheme is a bit more than standard sales practices. Couldn't come up with a term that lands in the middle.

dude, i ran out of diapers. Used them all on myself. I eat a lot.

It must be tough when you are surrounded by a group of INTJ. :whistle2:$
Almost as much fun as being surrounded by extroverts that don't understand: leave me alone right now. ...I'll be social later, but right now I've reached my limit.

Since some CAGs bought Aliens: Colonial Marines from Amazon previously, I will post this here as well.

To get the complete set of DLC for Aliens: Colonial Marines,
this is what you need to get from GMG.

25% off voucher code: GMG25-0YUM5-VKMVU

1. Aliens: Colonial Marines - Season Pass - $5.62 after 25% off
  2. Aliens: Colonial Marines - Collectors Edition Pack - $0.93 after 25% off
  3. Aliens: Colonial Marines - Limited Edition Pack - $0.89 after 25% off and $0.04 credit from previous purchases
  4. Aliens: Colonial Marines - Sawed-off Double Barrel Shotgun - Free after 25% off and $0.18 credit from previous purchases
  5. Aliens: Colonial Marines - Sharp Sticks - Free after 25% off and $0.18 credit from previous purchases
Total Cost = $7.44 and $0.10 credit left
I'm just stunned at CAGs rushing to buy ACM dlc... since they only bought ACM since it was $2 cheap...

CAG Trials sounds like tribal initiation.
44585463.jpg

Has anyone played Final Exam or Defense Technica? Are they any good?
Ask again soon... it's in queue right after I finish Guacamelee.

Edit: Referring to FInal Exam.

I think even at cheap prices, some people would take a shot on AC:M + London 2012 - even if there was no EC coupon "chance" attached. At $2 each - what the heck? Once you factor this $5 coupon "chance" on EC stuff - it just makes it even easier to take a risk on it.

Also - after coupon, Dead Space 3: Awakened DLC has NEVER been this cheap ($3.49 after coupon). EA's DLC (especially through Origin) and BioWare DLC (especially THAT w/ their BioWare Points premium pricing crap) often does NOT get this cheap. Dead Space 3: Awakened DLC currently $5.99 on Origin, if you want to make some comparisons here. There's gonna be a few deals like this - where after coupon, it's gonna blow away the competition.

EDIT:

If you want to look at it this way - if you bought AC:M ($2 before tax) [to get your $5 EC coupon] and then bought DS3: Awakening DLC w/ your coupon during EC sale ($3.49 before tax), you just got more games for your buck for around the same kind of $ - since DS3: Awakened DLC alone is $5.99 on Origin currently (before tax). Now, since we're talking about THOSE two games in particular - yeah, who knows about the quality & quantity of content those two particular games. ;)
Agreed, people will take chances on low priced items, and some of the items here (Ace Combat bundle, Dead Space dlc, TSW) are pretty good deals.

There definitely is something to they psychological aspect of the voucher system though.

I finished installing and played for about an hour, liking it a lot so far. I only did the first mission from the base but it seems like sniping can be a viable tactic.

I'm still not sure how grouping works, but my character name is Gharad Zhax if that helps find me.

I also went ahead and set up a Steam group. If no one uses it, then oh well. Drabelincoln is probably right, but most of the friends I gamed with in college are too busy these days so I gotta look for other players were I can find them.

Here's the group:

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/cagmmo

It's invite only for now - I don't have a lot of experience with this kind of thing and I'm a little nervous that it might get spammed by people trying to sell ingame stuff. If that's too paranoid let me know and I'll open it up.

Otherwise, I'm not trying to have it exclusive in any way, I'll invite anyone who's interested. PM me with your steam details (if we're not friends already) or add me on steam (also crimsontribe).

Sorry if this is overly complicated, like I said I'm not entirely sure what I'm doing.
Well i have defiance to co op if anyone wants and if you can send me a invitation to the group. Also i have some other games that we can co op or make versus match or free for all match (depends on the game).

http://steamcommunity.com/id/vdckorn/

And if anyone wants to add me, you can do so but please tell me that you came from the CAG thread (i only check this one out) as some times traders add me to make deals.

Agreed, people will take chances on low priced items, and some of the items here (Ace Combat bundle, Dead Space dlc, TSW) are pretty good deals.

There definitely is something to they psychological aspect of the voucher system though.
I think if you buy lots of games like me, you're going to wind-up w/ a lot of vouchers - I have (unlucky) 13 right now.

And, there's also a chance - you might not even use them all. You might wanna help some others out who ain't got as many coupons as you and/or they offer to make deals w/ you...b/c you don't want all your coupons to go to waste.

The CAG Community has always been helpful w/ crazy code-drops, giving away extra copies of games, and buying games for others w/ their coupons - only right to help each other out, around here.

Well i have defiance to co op if anyone wants and if you can send me a invitation to the group. Also i have some other games that we can co op or make versus match or free for all match (depends on the game).

http://steamcommunity.com/id/vdckorn/

And if anyone wants to add me, you can do so but please tell me that you came from the CAG thread (i only check this one out) as some times traders add me to make deals.
Once you accept my friend invite I can add you.

<asheskitty doesn't need to tell anyone who asheskitty is>

Thanks for actually posting a link to your profile.

Note to others: <hint> <hint> ;)

[quote name="MrNinjaSquirrel" post="11419423" timestamp="1388945592"]She's modeling that sword obviously.[/quote]

Liar! I don't see a sword!

Once you accept my friend invite I can add you.

<asheskitty doesn't need to tell anyone who asheskitty is>

Thanks for actually posting a link to your profile.

Note to others: <hint> <hint> ;)
On Defiance, I am...

Screen Name -> MysterD

Current Character's Name -> Derick Salvage.

Actually, GMG had DS3: Awakened for $3.20 a week ago after the coupon, plus an extra 10 cents credit. But yeah... I agree it is still a good deal.

Actually, GMG had DS3: Awakened for $3.20 a week ago after the coupon, plus an extra 10 cents credit. But yeah... I agree it is still a good deal.
Really? I miss'd that?

Dammit...

I'm just gonna wait for GMG again, then. I've been hesitant on buying this Awakened DLC b/c reviews are all over the place; recycles a bunch of content + assets; it's not super-long (1 hr 30 mins to 4 hours tops); and b/c I only spent $1 for DS3 base game in the EA Origin HB.

It's like a magic eye poster keep staring at it you'll see it eventually.
I've been trying but all I ever see is breasts. (Not that I'm going to be complaining anytime soon.)

Last edited:
Thanks, now I don't want to buy it after knowing it's been cheaper.
CAG's equivalent of a cold shower... finding that that game on sale had been available for less. ;)

Though seriously, lately I've been hearing about a few GMG deals after they done gone. It would be really nice if people would post about them in the GMG thread or here when they're still live.

Else, I'm playing Global Thermonuclear Warfare.

44585365.jpg

That's pretty presumptuous assuming that we'll just do it for you.
I'm used to things going my way. ^_~

It's more like common thread knowledge... it's like not needing to explain what is gravity or why kittykats are self-centered.

The Secret World download is going incredibly slow. ANY way to improve the speeds? It gets up to about 2 MBps, and then drops right back down to like 300 KBps.

The Secret World download is going incredibly slow. ANY way to improve the speeds? It gets up to about 2 MBps, and then drops right back down to like 300 KBps.
Same thing happened w/me. I just set it up to download when I went to sleep. It was done by the time I got up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back