Amazon PCDD - Important Update New Community Manager Incoming!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amazon DVG Deals

Official Representative
Feedback
4 (100%)
Hey CAGS,

I’ve got some news I’m both excited and sad to share with you at the same time. I’ll be leaving the Digital Video Games team in Mid-March to join the marketing team for Amazon.com’s Loyalty and Rewards program, Amazon Coins. My boss and I have talked extensively about how to maintain and continue our presence here and across the other communities we’ve created in the past couple of years. To that end I’d like to introduce you to Josh, who take over monitoring, updating, and responding to this thread. Josh will be ramping up over the next couple of weeks, he  will be posting shortly to introduce himself.

Now that the “what’s going on” part of the message is out of the way I want to tell you all how much I love CAG and the posters here. This was the first community I joined when I started this job (anyone still remember that first thread?) and all of you have had a huge hand in shaping how we think about and execute Community Development and Management here at Amazon, which has in turn shaped my career these last two and a half years.

I started to write out a section calling out the regular posters and realized the list would be both overly long and incomplete at the same time. Instead I’d like to thank you all again, you all have my deep and sincere gratitude. I’ll still be around and my gaming accounts aren’t going anywhere so feel free to hit me up anytime you want to chat. I’ll probably still hang out in the thread too :).

Thanks again everyone, let me or Josh know if you have any questions!

The Indie Store has launched!
Amazon.com is launching a storefront dedicated to supporting and promoting PC/Mac/Web-based Indie Games. Our Digital Video Games team is a small group of passionate gamers and we’re all really excited to help Indie developers reach more customers quickly by providing a quick and simple process for bringing their games to market. Additionally we’ll be supporting the Indie Store with a ton of promotions, both at and after launch. Many of these promotions are designed to give the developer the opportunity to maximize their revenue. For example, Amazon is forfeiting all royalties from bundle sales and passing them along directly to the developer, we’ve also created an “Indie Spotlight” program to help customers learn more about the games and developers they love. We view the Indie developers as some of the most creative in the industry and we want to help them continue to create new and innovative experience for customers.

Why we are doing this:

• Allow customers to discover an entirely new category of games on Amazon.com
  • Help developers reach new customers quickly. Our onboarding process is straightforward and we want to sell every Indie game available
  • We want to leverage our strengths to support and help the developers who are driving forward innovation and creativity in the games industry
General Information

Hi CAGs,
I'll be posting deals we're running on Digital Games (PC/Mac, Free to Play, Sony/Microsoft Points/Subs).

I'm also here to answer questions you might have, get you closer to the developers by hosting Q&As, setting up podcasts, live streaming gameplay etc. If I don't respond to a question you have in thread please send me a PM. These ping my email address and make it more likely that I will see your question and respond more quickly.

Cheers,
Tony

FYI. EA Games sold by Amazon will not activate on Steam.
F.A.Q.S.:

1. Does the game I'm buying from Amazon Activate on Steam/Origin/Uplay? What DRM does the game use?

There are two places to identify DRM on a digital video game detail page:

At the top of the page, below the title:

16hm7a8.png

In the "Product Description" section:

r06ykl.jpg

2. Note on Electronic Arts Games - For the most part, EA games sold on Amazon do not activate on Steam. Most activate on Origin.

3. Note on DRM with limited activations:

Our Policy

4. Sometimes I'll do giveaways.

5. I work with developers and publishers to get fun (or at least what I think is fun) content to share with you all. Here are some examples:

a. Check out the Pax Gameplay videos here: Xcom: Enemy Unknown I played Xcom with Jake, the Creative Director for the game, a few months before the game came out Also, on this page, check out the Q&A, also a community driven event.

b. Check out the interview on this page: Borderlands 2 we did this interview at E3 with Randy Pitchford this year.

c. We've partnered with the ++GoodGames Podcast to feature many of the games we carry. They talk to the developers about the game development process, how the games are conceptualized and managed, all kinds of fun stuff. I'm working on putting together full link list and will update when I have it.

What else do we sell?

Xbox Live Points and Subscriptions:

1600 Microsoft Live Points
4000 Microsoft Live Points
12 Month XBOX Live Subscription
3 Month XBOX Live Subscription]
12 Month + 1 XBOX Live Subscription

PSN+ Subscriptions and PSN Points:

$20 PSN Points
$50 PSN Points
12 Month PSN+ Subscription
3 Month PSN+ Subscription

We also have a Free-2-Play store supported by our GameConnect technology. Gameconnect allows you to link your Amazon.com account with free-2-play and MMO accounts so that you can buy things like in game currency, premium game time/subscriptions, in game items, etc. on Amazon.com using your Amazon.com payment options and have this content delivered directly into your game.

5. Price Matching notes: Generally we do not match international retailers (GMG, Gamersgate, etc) or physical retailers (Best Buy, Newegg.com, etc.)
To check out the Free-2-Play games we offer you can visit our storefront here: Free-2-Play Store

Last edited by a moderator:
There is also a $200 lifetime subcription plan. I will be buying the Lifetime after my current sub expires in 3 months. I agree for most people a sub isn't necessary at all, but if you love the game and put the kind of time I do into it, if you figure how many months you'll play, and the fact you never have to buy DLC again, it's a great deal. $200 divided by just 2 years (pretty mild by MMO standards) is just $8.33 a month. If it goes 5 years, that's $3.33/month. WOW has been going for 10 years, that would be $1.66/month.
I'm not necessarily saying that TSW will or won't last but a lot of MMOs have gone tits up well before the 10 year or even 5 year mark. WOW is maybe not the best comparison because it seems to be more the exception than the rule in terms of how long a typical MMO tends to last.

I'm not an FPS fan (BL1/2 isn't really an FPS). If I wanted to try, I'd play C2 (owned from HEAB). FPS are aggressive and violent games...

<trys to decide whether to resume Guacamelee or resume Manhunt>
I'm glad I'm not the only one who dislikes FPS games. They just aren't really my thing, unless you can run around in a hot dog costume and beat people with giant dildos. Then I am interested.

Not sure if anyone uses Bing (I know .. I know ... its MS) search or not but they have a rewards system for using it.

As you use the search engine (and other things) you gain points. These points can be used to buy gift cards. Two of them are $3 and $5 Amazon cards. I used my points yesterday and within 30 mins had my $5 Amazon gift card. Perfect for the EC sale.

If anyone decides to sign up you can use the "Refer-A-Friend" link in my sig Help me get more points :)

If referals are not allowed I will remove it .. did not see anything in the rules.
Nice! :D

I could so go for some Amazon GC's. :D

I practically live on Amazon.

Tony ..

Silly question after the giveaway and all .. but any plans on a sale on Defiance .. hehe

A friend is interested after he saw me playing it.

Thanks ..

I'm not necessarily saying that TSW will or won't last but a lot of MMOs have gone tits up well before the 10 year or even 5 year mark. WOW is maybe not the best comparison because it seems to be more the exception than the rule in terms of how long a typical MMO tends to last.
Funcom's previous MMO Age of Conan: Unchained is going on 6 years. Their MMO before that Anarchy Online is going on 13 years (and FunCom is upgrading the game engine to the current one being used for TSW and AoC:U this year). I wasn't basing my calculations completely on comparison to WOW, and if the average is to be taken, WOW is actually in the "butter zone" average for the length of time FunCom's games servers stay up for a particular title. I don't think it was an unfair comparison..... of course the company could fold tomorrow and render all this moot, but I personally think it's a great deal, but that depends very heavily on 2 aspects: 1. How much time you plan to play it, and 2. Whether a subscription is worth it to you to begin with. There is tons to do in this game just by buying the base game, and I mean tons.

Funcom's previous MMO Age of Conan: Unchained is going on 6 years. Their MMO before that Anarchy Online is going on 13 years (and FunCom is upgrading the game engine to the current one being used for TSW and AoC:U this year). I wasn't basing my calculations completely on comparison to WOW, and if the average is to be taken, WOW is actually in the "butter zone" average for the length of time FunCom's games servers stay up for a particular title. I don't think it was an unfair comparison..... of course the company could fold tomorrow and render all this moot, but I personally think it's a great deal, but that depends very heavily on 2 aspects: 1. How much time you plan to play it, and 2. Whether a subscription is worth it to you to begin with. There is tons to do in this game just by buying the base game, and I mean tons.
I think it's pretty obvious the way to go is to buy the base game (got dat for 7 bucks in the ec sale wooooo) and if you like it I guess subscribe or upgrade to the Massive edition. Really can't go wrong...7 bucks is a small investment.

Tony ..

Silly question after the giveaway and all .. but any plans on a sale on Defiance .. hehe

A friend is interested after he saw me playing it.

Thanks ..
Great Question!... also Amazon had it for $4 at Xmas (wasn't on my radar).

I agree with both Motoki and Walk on this... MMOs go poof, but Funcom has a good record of keeping theirs still rolling... (I mean heck, Age of Conan is still shuffling)

WoW's only compare point is EverCrack. But yes, considering the fees and what and active player recieves for them Lifetime is attractive. Lifetime is 18 months of sub (at the cheapest 1yr+6mo subs). I really don't want to calculate what I spent on WoW...

I decided not to get crysis 3. for several reasons. 

1) I have tons of played games i have not played yet

2) I kinda suck at shooters

3) My comp would only barely run it. I will need to get a good GPU before i get this game (I have a 6670)

I agree with both Motoki and Walk on this... MMOs go poof, but Funcom has a good record of keeping theirs still rolling... (I mean heck, Age of Conan is still shuffling)

I have to agree as well - they're still developing/running Anarchy Online.. a game that launched June 27, 2001.

I decided not to get crysis 3. for several reasons.
1) I have tons of played games i have not played yet
2) I kinda suck at shooters
3) My comp would only barely run it. I will need to get a good GPU before i get this game (I have a 6670)
I have like 300 games without touching, and just play dota 2.

Yes I have a problem buying games

There is NO cure for the CAG-style of game-buying and game-hoarding.
Sadly, there is no cure. Luckily, it's a lifestyle that most sufferers adapt to painlessly.

Are you suggesting there's no way we won't become hopeless game-hoarding addicts forced to live on cat food?

You don't live on cat food already? What type of "cat" are you? You shouldn't even be able to game, really, due to your lack of opposable thumbs. I'm on to you.

Something to also keep in mind is that Funcom is releasing another MMO next year so updates/dlc will probably be more sparse after Tokyo is released. Won't make the game any less fun (I heartily enjoy TSW despite it taking me forever to make it through all of the zones, too many games and all that), but you could start to get less out of your sub since the free dlc is the main benefit of their subscription plans since the store is mostly pets/vanity clothes.

Something to also keep in mind is that Funcom is releasing another MMO next year so updates/dlc will probably be more sparse after Tokyo is released. Won't the game any less fun (I heartily enjoy TSW despite it taking me forever to make it through all of the zones, too many games and all that), but you could theoretically get less out of your sub since the free dlc is the main benefit of their subscription plans since the store is mostly pets/vanity clothes.
Since Ragnar isn't with Funcom anymore, I'm more curious what he's going to cook up w/ Red Thread Games for Dreamfall Chapters and TLJ3.

I really don't want to calculate what I spent on WoW...
I have had an account on WoW since it's release. That account has for the most part never missed a payment. I played for years. Quit many years ago. Account is still active because the GF plays all the time now and I pay for it.

What do I have to show for it?? Diablo 3 for free .. hehe .. (and over $7000 less in my wallet)

I have like 300 games without touching, and just play dota 2.

Yes I have a problem buying games
According to http://steamdb.info/calculator/ out of the 1151 or so games I have 753 are not played. And that is still wrong from all the game idling I did for cards :whistle2:

I have had an account on WoW since it's release. That account has for the most part never missed a payment. I played for years. Quit many years ago. Account is still active because the GF plays all the time now and I pay for it.

What do I have to show for it?? Diablo 3 for free .. hehe .. (and over $7000 less in my wallet)

According to http://steamdb.info/calculator/ out of the 1151 or so games I have 753 are not played. And that is still wrong from all the game idling I did for cards :whistle2:
Grossly inflated by indie bundles... but...

• Worth: $9469.67
  • Games owned: 783
  • Games not played: 657
  • Percentage: 84%
  • Hours spent: 1,459.8h

no card idling.

Grossly inflated by indie bundles... but...

• Worth: $9469.67
  • Games owned: 783
  • Games not played: 657
  • Percentage: 84%
  • Hours spent: 1,459.8h

no card idling.
Worth: $3731.17

Games Owned: 317

Games not played: 208

Percentage: 66%

Hours: 463.8

The monetary value is inflated a lotttttt because of bundles and never buying anything full price. I doubt I've spent more than 500 dollars on all the games.

The monetary value is inflated a lotttttt because of bundles and never buying anything full price. I doubt I've spent more than 500 dollars on all the games.
^_^ I've spend a little under a thousand on steam over of the years... likely less than half that everywhere else combined.

For reference the most I've ever spent on a steam game is $30 for Assetto Corsa.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back