Amazon PCDD - Important Update New Community Manager Incoming!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amazon DVG Deals

Official Representative
Feedback
4 (100%)
Hey CAGS,

I’ve got some news I’m both excited and sad to share with you at the same time. I’ll be leaving the Digital Video Games team in Mid-March to join the marketing team for Amazon.com’s Loyalty and Rewards program, Amazon Coins. My boss and I have talked extensively about how to maintain and continue our presence here and across the other communities we’ve created in the past couple of years. To that end I’d like to introduce you to Josh, who take over monitoring, updating, and responding to this thread. Josh will be ramping up over the next couple of weeks, he  will be posting shortly to introduce himself.

Now that the “what’s going on” part of the message is out of the way I want to tell you all how much I love CAG and the posters here. This was the first community I joined when I started this job (anyone still remember that first thread?) and all of you have had a huge hand in shaping how we think about and execute Community Development and Management here at Amazon, which has in turn shaped my career these last two and a half years.

I started to write out a section calling out the regular posters and realized the list would be both overly long and incomplete at the same time. Instead I’d like to thank you all again, you all have my deep and sincere gratitude. I’ll still be around and my gaming accounts aren’t going anywhere so feel free to hit me up anytime you want to chat. I’ll probably still hang out in the thread too :).

Thanks again everyone, let me or Josh know if you have any questions!

The Indie Store has launched!
Amazon.com is launching a storefront dedicated to supporting and promoting PC/Mac/Web-based Indie Games. Our Digital Video Games team is a small group of passionate gamers and we’re all really excited to help Indie developers reach more customers quickly by providing a quick and simple process for bringing their games to market. Additionally we’ll be supporting the Indie Store with a ton of promotions, both at and after launch. Many of these promotions are designed to give the developer the opportunity to maximize their revenue. For example, Amazon is forfeiting all royalties from bundle sales and passing them along directly to the developer, we’ve also created an “Indie Spotlight” program to help customers learn more about the games and developers they love. We view the Indie developers as some of the most creative in the industry and we want to help them continue to create new and innovative experience for customers.

Why we are doing this:

• Allow customers to discover an entirely new category of games on Amazon.com
  • Help developers reach new customers quickly. Our onboarding process is straightforward and we want to sell every Indie game available
  • We want to leverage our strengths to support and help the developers who are driving forward innovation and creativity in the games industry
General Information

Hi CAGs,
I'll be posting deals we're running on Digital Games (PC/Mac, Free to Play, Sony/Microsoft Points/Subs).

I'm also here to answer questions you might have, get you closer to the developers by hosting Q&As, setting up podcasts, live streaming gameplay etc. If I don't respond to a question you have in thread please send me a PM. These ping my email address and make it more likely that I will see your question and respond more quickly.

Cheers,
Tony

FYI. EA Games sold by Amazon will not activate on Steam.
F.A.Q.S.:

1. Does the game I'm buying from Amazon Activate on Steam/Origin/Uplay? What DRM does the game use?

There are two places to identify DRM on a digital video game detail page:

At the top of the page, below the title:

16hm7a8.png

In the "Product Description" section:

r06ykl.jpg

2. Note on Electronic Arts Games - For the most part, EA games sold on Amazon do not activate on Steam. Most activate on Origin.

3. Note on DRM with limited activations:

Our Policy

4. Sometimes I'll do giveaways.

5. I work with developers and publishers to get fun (or at least what I think is fun) content to share with you all. Here are some examples:

a. Check out the Pax Gameplay videos here: Xcom: Enemy Unknown I played Xcom with Jake, the Creative Director for the game, a few months before the game came out Also, on this page, check out the Q&A, also a community driven event.

b. Check out the interview on this page: Borderlands 2 we did this interview at E3 with Randy Pitchford this year.

c. We've partnered with the ++GoodGames Podcast to feature many of the games we carry. They talk to the developers about the game development process, how the games are conceptualized and managed, all kinds of fun stuff. I'm working on putting together full link list and will update when I have it.

What else do we sell?

Xbox Live Points and Subscriptions:

1600 Microsoft Live Points
4000 Microsoft Live Points
12 Month XBOX Live Subscription
3 Month XBOX Live Subscription]
12 Month + 1 XBOX Live Subscription

PSN+ Subscriptions and PSN Points:

$20 PSN Points
$50 PSN Points
12 Month PSN+ Subscription
3 Month PSN+ Subscription

We also have a Free-2-Play store supported by our GameConnect technology. Gameconnect allows you to link your Amazon.com account with free-2-play and MMO accounts so that you can buy things like in game currency, premium game time/subscriptions, in game items, etc. on Amazon.com using your Amazon.com payment options and have this content delivered directly into your game.

5. Price Matching notes: Generally we do not match international retailers (GMG, Gamersgate, etc) or physical retailers (Best Buy, Newegg.com, etc.)
To check out the Free-2-Play games we offer you can visit our storefront here: Free-2-Play Store

Last edited by a moderator:
The term 'Editor's Choice' isn't meant to connote Games of the Year or anything like that… it's just the games selected for the promo.  I wouldn't say I'm irritated or that it's left a bad taste in my mouth or whatever but that won't stop me from chuckling over an 'encore' day of the multitudinous deals we got~

best part of this sale was getting DI Riptide for free.... ty based tony and LN300

i haven't used any of my 3 coupons but i ain't even mad.
Based Tony??!?!

Oh, man - I could imagine Lil B or someone doing a based-freestyle rap about that....

You know who done it

Swag always on 100 (swag! swag!)

I'm always rough/ruff

I'm Paddington

Based Dog or God

No matter how you look at it

Forwards and backwards

Selling stuff on the cheap

I'm Tony Amazon

Based God, gone

The term 'Editor's Choice' isn't meant to connote Games of the Year or anything like that… it's just the games selected for the promo. I wouldn't say I'm irritated or that it's left a bad taste in my mouth or whatever but that won't stop me from chuckling over an 'encore' day of the multitudinous deals we got~
This was a horribly planned event on Amazon and Tony's part. No idea why the regulars insist on white knighting this shady "sales event". This should have been planned well in advance not after the fact. Get your deals and publishers inline before you start offering coupons. This has to be the most backwards thinking I've ever seen in a sale.

Well, Amazon DVG could extend the coupons throughout February and get some damn good deals in line, if they really want us to use up our 3000 EC coupons. ;)

There was a big giveaway, that's as much as we need to go into it.

People posting they got games for "free" should realize they unnecessarily create confusion, which inevitably leads to problems...
And yet it's a different kind of free than a free new Apple iThingy... borrowing a car, and driving it through the front window...

The term 'Editor's Choice' isn't meant to connote Games of the Year or anything like that… it's just the games selected for the promo. I wouldn't say I'm irritated or that it's left a bad taste in my mouth or whatever but that won't stop me from chuckling over an 'encore' day of the multitudinous deals we got~
New Definitions...

Game of the Year = Base game bundled with some DLC

Editor's Choice = Game deals from developers/distributors we've received responses from

Haha, classic case of YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG. Don't they know all the good stuff is in the back?  I like how he picks up the small things, and ones on the floor that are probably damaged from the crash, lol.  Probably took just enough to pay for all the damages to their getaway car.  Really, who drives a BMW to rob an apple store.  If that car was stolen... SELL THE CAR FOR PARTS INSTEAD.  Buncha dummies.  wtf.

New Definitions...

Game of the Year = Base game bundled with some DLC

Editor's Choice = Game deals from developers/distributors we've received responses from
Well, Ultimate Editions don't always contain everything, either. ;)

Burnout Paradise: The Ultimate Box PC is MISSING a bunch of DLC's that later got sold on the PC (on places like Amazon DVG) and some DLC's (like Big Surf Island) never got ported to the PC.

EDIT:

EA's Choice!
Yeah, ain't that the truth!

EA seems like they're the only ones who really wanted to show-up to this EC Party.

505 might be the only other one.

Ran out of Coupons. If anyone wants to get rid of some coupons, I'm interested in buying the following today - 
Sims 3 Dragon Valley
Sims 3 Supernatural

No idea why the regulars insist on white knighting this shady "sales event".
Sense of perspective and understanding, I guess.

Anyway, I save all my white knighting for defending social justice warriors.

Burnout Paradise: The Ultimate Box PC is MISSING a bunch of DLC's that later got sold on the PC (on places like Amazon DVG) and some DLC's (like Big Surf Island) never got ported to the PC.
Burnout "Ultimate" as an "Editor's Choice" is like seventy-five layers of dark Amazon deception.

EDIT:

Yeah, ain't that the truth!

EA seems like they're the only ones who really wanted to show-up to this EC Party.

505 might be the only other one.
The BP DLC on PC used to be only available though the in-game store -- that shutdown years ago. Some BP fan at EA manged to get that DLC packaged up and available for purchase again as an Origin code. The PC-DLC was on-disk and buying it through the ingame store modified your save file to make it available... with the unfortunate side effect that once the store went down, if you didn't have your save file, you were SOL.

The only PC release of BP is the Ultimate Edition which includes the free BP DLC (Cagney & Bikes) and the Party Pack DLC. It came out a full year after BP was released on consoles. ...I know, I was eagerly awaiting the PC release and bought it shortly after it was available.

...don't get me started on Big Surf Island...

It's a shame they never released Big Surf Island on the PC ... thankfully modders have done a fairly decent job at adding it in themselves.

Tony is here to get you to buy things from Amazon. I'm sure he's a great guy in person but his ultimate job at the end of the day is to get you to buy stuff you don't need from Amazon.
Total bullshit. The USDA has declared that if you don't ingest enough video games on a daily basis, you risk contracting rickets and Beriberi.

Total bullshit. The USDA has declared that if you don't ingest enough video games on a daily basis, you risk contracting rickets and Beriberi.
studies have also shown that there is a correlation of r value -.87 between number of hours of video games played per day and house robbery victimization, as well as preliminary studies which show playing video games can prevent anal leakage.

Tony is here to get you to buy things from Amazon. I'm sure he's a great guy in person but his ultimate job at the end of the day is to get you to buy stuff you don't need from Amazon.
Tony is a great guy here and there. It's the devs/pubs who've told him they'll get back to him that have the questionable character (well us too but that's a different topic). They should have been able to give Tony more definitive answers on January deals by now. The sale has been lacking so far but I'm still holding out for a big, wallet-emptying, card-maxing deal in the last week or 24 hours.

at the end of the day is to get you to buy stuff you don't need from Amazon.
oh rly?

Untitled.jpg

Edit: I know I know, somebody's gonna be like "that's not really Tony's contract"

It is, actually. I broke into the CEO of Amazon's office just to prove to you guys what Tony's job really is

Understanding that Tony is selling "stuff you don't need from Amazon" is exactly the reason why I don't understand some people going ape and throwing a fit over not having enough sales on "stuff you don't need from Amazon".  They're just video games.   Saying you think the sale is lame is fine and something we all do.  Some people have a name in Tony to put on the sale and are acting like he just came to your house and kicked your dog by not magically giving you enough sales on "stuff you don't need from Amazon".

This was a horribly planned event on Amazon and Tony's part. No idea why the regulars insist on white knighting this shady "sales event". This should have been planned well in advance not after the fact. Get your deals and publishers inline before you start offering coupons. This has to be the most backwards thinking I've ever seen in a sale.
Wow .. just wow.. you wanna show the world how it's done heh.. I'm pretty sure Tony did everything he could to bring this sale up to par with the previous years which had great results. Please enlighten us on how he could have expected the different reps to just not take part this year?

So now Tony twisted your arm so that you buy stuff you don't need. Yes his job is to generate sales but he's keeping in touch with the community and trying to bring us deals we actually want. As much as the sale hasn't been what most expected we still saw a bunch of good/great deals come thru. No one forced you to buy stuff you don't need from Amazon.

I think the problem with the sale is that people came in with huge expectations.  I only bought games I normally would have bought, accumulated free coupons through normal purchases, and if any great deals come out I'm happy about it.  If not, I don't lose anything because I still bought the original games at a quality sale price back in November/December. 

There is no expectation or guarantee that amazing discounts would take place in January but I was still able to pick up Crysis 3 for $5, Marlow Briggs, which I never even knew about, for $2.50, and Ace Patrol bundle for $.99 of which I made $3 back in cards due to getting lucky with 2 foils dropping.  Regardless of what happens in the remainder of the month, I'm still happy with it.  I didn't come in expecting to use a massive number of coupons simply because over the past year I've built a giant backlog and knew some sales would be missed by me because I already own the games.  I still picked up several purchases I'm happy with, and it's gravy because I earned the coupons by making purchases I would normally make.

If someone is upset because they bought 10 cheap DLC's and can't use the coupons, they knew that was a potential scenario heading into the sale.   If you choose to buy cheap DLC's in order to be in a position to pick up any great sales, you didn't lose that opportunity simply because sales never developed, you still had the coupons.  I would view it as purchasing insurance against the chance of missing sales.  Sometimes when you purchase insurance, you don't get to use it and you "lose" the money you paid in that regard, but you still benefited from what it provided which is peace of mind against missing any great sales.   

Honestly, I don't think the publishers truly understand the power of CAG. They're probably Slickdeals asshole tasters and what not. Toss the salad of the ignorant masses while CAG's are asking real questions. Making a difference and that. Know what I mean?

The only thing I am saddened by is Amazon's apparent lack of pecan nougat eggs.  I was just going to put them on my wishlist and my search came up with zilch.  I am disappoint.  Tony , talk with your Grocery and Gourmet counterpart and tell them to get in touch with Mary Sue, stat.

Lack of good EC games got you down?  Turn that frown upside down with a free game!

Steam Keys:
Tropico 4 Steam Special Edition: LWWGC-BW6V0-72I79

Stealth Bastard Deluxe: 2BB9Q-2YG34-MJC35

Steel Storm: Complete Edition:  8DALB-382EH-F2YXT

Naval Warfare: G34B4-ENYGC-G5GHD

Desura Key:
Laxative Force: 13XKL-J0CE6-PHWK8-UAKUO-U7U26

Keys nobody wants:
Strike
Suit
Strike Suit Zero
j/k
It's gonna be Toki Tori 2
So Close!!!!!

Understanding that Tony is selling "stuff you don't need from Amazon" is exactly the reason why I don't understand some people going ape and throwing a fit over not having enough sales on "stuff you don't need from Amazon". They're just video games. Saying you think the sale is lame is fine and something we all do. Some people have a name in Tony to put on the sale and are acting like he just came to your house and kicked your dog by not magically giving you enough sales on "stuff you don't need from Amazon".
I don't know man...i'm pretty sure I need all of those Sims 3 expansions.

Sale related: 11 EC credits used. 9 of them on EA products. :D/

MysterD's Translation:

More proof that EA was the only AAA who really decided to show-up in full force to this EC Party in Jan 2014.

Yeah... I did spend about $25 on Sims 3 expansions. I haven't even played Sims 3 in like a year. ... games we don't need.

Blah, blah, blah, sale sucks but it's not poor Amazon's fault. It's those evil publishers that lied to poor Tony and told him to go ahead and run with the promo despite having no commitments of any kind.

Yeah... I did spend about $25 on Sims 3 expansions. I haven't even played Sims 3 in like a year. ... games we don't need.
If buying all those expansions get you play a ton more of Sims 3, then EA did well during this sale for you. :D

I don't know what it is, but every time I actually wind-up buy an expansion to any Sims game - I get sucked into the damn game AGAIN for freaking hours and hours!

Sometimes my mind-state going in is, "I'll play this for a few hours."

YEP - always happens; very accurate.

Sometimes, it's like, "Eh, I'll play this and kick it around for maybe a half-hour to an hour."

WRONG - that turns into freaking 3-6 hours.

Just bought Need For Speed Rivals and I know the price isn't right for a lot of people but I have to say I am really enjoying it more than Most Wanted. It is like an extended version of Hot Pursuit but the Frostbite 3.0 engine adds some great effects like dynamic weather and choppers obstructing your vision from leaves and debris flying everywhere. I also like the more open road instead of the urban setting. The game is locked at 30 FPS but there are command line variables to switch it to 60 FPS and it seemed fine for me but you do need a computer that can handle it or need to turn down graphic settings.

I have encountered a couple bugs with the online gamplay where I got stuck after a race and had to close the game. Also it sucks when the host drops in the middle of a race and it continues the race after I re-connect but was way behind as the race timer seemed to continue while reconnecting. Also since it is somewhat worldly, you can race someone every few minutes where the races are generally pretty quick. You really need to manage damage control to keep your speed points (SP - for upgrading your car) to get back to your hideout with a high multiplier. The addition of pursuit tech gives the game a more gritty feeling as well. I just hope they don't add a ton of DLC which can wreck the game making it pay to win. I have only played a little over an hour so we'll see what I think later in the game.

He gave me a free game because I said I didn't want to use up a coupon on it.

Edit: I know I know, somebody's gonna be like "that's not really Tony's contract"

It is, actually. I broke into the CEO of Amazon's office just to prove to you guys what Tony's job really is
ElMugYc.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back