Amazon PCDD - Important Update New Community Manager Incoming!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amazon DVG Deals

Official Representative
Feedback
4 (100%)
Hey CAGS,

I’ve got some news I’m both excited and sad to share with you at the same time. I’ll be leaving the Digital Video Games team in Mid-March to join the marketing team for Amazon.com’s Loyalty and Rewards program, Amazon Coins. My boss and I have talked extensively about how to maintain and continue our presence here and across the other communities we’ve created in the past couple of years. To that end I’d like to introduce you to Josh, who take over monitoring, updating, and responding to this thread. Josh will be ramping up over the next couple of weeks, he  will be posting shortly to introduce himself.

Now that the “what’s going on” part of the message is out of the way I want to tell you all how much I love CAG and the posters here. This was the first community I joined when I started this job (anyone still remember that first thread?) and all of you have had a huge hand in shaping how we think about and execute Community Development and Management here at Amazon, which has in turn shaped my career these last two and a half years.

I started to write out a section calling out the regular posters and realized the list would be both overly long and incomplete at the same time. Instead I’d like to thank you all again, you all have my deep and sincere gratitude. I’ll still be around and my gaming accounts aren’t going anywhere so feel free to hit me up anytime you want to chat. I’ll probably still hang out in the thread too :).

Thanks again everyone, let me or Josh know if you have any questions!

The Indie Store has launched!
Amazon.com is launching a storefront dedicated to supporting and promoting PC/Mac/Web-based Indie Games. Our Digital Video Games team is a small group of passionate gamers and we’re all really excited to help Indie developers reach more customers quickly by providing a quick and simple process for bringing their games to market. Additionally we’ll be supporting the Indie Store with a ton of promotions, both at and after launch. Many of these promotions are designed to give the developer the opportunity to maximize their revenue. For example, Amazon is forfeiting all royalties from bundle sales and passing them along directly to the developer, we’ve also created an “Indie Spotlight” program to help customers learn more about the games and developers they love. We view the Indie developers as some of the most creative in the industry and we want to help them continue to create new and innovative experience for customers.

Why we are doing this:

• Allow customers to discover an entirely new category of games on Amazon.com
  • Help developers reach new customers quickly. Our onboarding process is straightforward and we want to sell every Indie game available
  • We want to leverage our strengths to support and help the developers who are driving forward innovation and creativity in the games industry
General Information

Hi CAGs,
I'll be posting deals we're running on Digital Games (PC/Mac, Free to Play, Sony/Microsoft Points/Subs).

I'm also here to answer questions you might have, get you closer to the developers by hosting Q&As, setting up podcasts, live streaming gameplay etc. If I don't respond to a question you have in thread please send me a PM. These ping my email address and make it more likely that I will see your question and respond more quickly.

Cheers,
Tony

FYI. EA Games sold by Amazon will not activate on Steam.
F.A.Q.S.:

1. Does the game I'm buying from Amazon Activate on Steam/Origin/Uplay? What DRM does the game use?

There are two places to identify DRM on a digital video game detail page:

At the top of the page, below the title:

16hm7a8.png

In the "Product Description" section:

r06ykl.jpg

2. Note on Electronic Arts Games - For the most part, EA games sold on Amazon do not activate on Steam. Most activate on Origin.

3. Note on DRM with limited activations:

Our Policy

4. Sometimes I'll do giveaways.

5. I work with developers and publishers to get fun (or at least what I think is fun) content to share with you all. Here are some examples:

a. Check out the Pax Gameplay videos here: Xcom: Enemy Unknown I played Xcom with Jake, the Creative Director for the game, a few months before the game came out Also, on this page, check out the Q&A, also a community driven event.

b. Check out the interview on this page: Borderlands 2 we did this interview at E3 with Randy Pitchford this year.

c. We've partnered with the ++GoodGames Podcast to feature many of the games we carry. They talk to the developers about the game development process, how the games are conceptualized and managed, all kinds of fun stuff. I'm working on putting together full link list and will update when I have it.

What else do we sell?

Xbox Live Points and Subscriptions:

1600 Microsoft Live Points
4000 Microsoft Live Points
12 Month XBOX Live Subscription
3 Month XBOX Live Subscription]
12 Month + 1 XBOX Live Subscription

PSN+ Subscriptions and PSN Points:

$20 PSN Points
$50 PSN Points
12 Month PSN+ Subscription
3 Month PSN+ Subscription

We also have a Free-2-Play store supported by our GameConnect technology. Gameconnect allows you to link your Amazon.com account with free-2-play and MMO accounts so that you can buy things like in game currency, premium game time/subscriptions, in game items, etc. on Amazon.com using your Amazon.com payment options and have this content delivered directly into your game.

5. Price Matching notes: Generally we do not match international retailers (GMG, Gamersgate, etc) or physical retailers (Best Buy, Newegg.com, etc.)
To check out the Free-2-Play games we offer you can visit our storefront here: Free-2-Play Store

Last edited by a moderator:
How come you rejected my friend request on Steam? :(

goes in a dark corner of the internet and pouts
Haha I probably didn't, unless you were one of the people I added and then started getting messages from about deals while I was trying to play video games...I unadded most of those folks lol.

If you caught a rejection it was probably one of my roommates playing, I've given them clear instruction never to talk to anyone on my friends list. Just send another invite and I'll add you :).

Cheers,

Tony

I played sniper. Usually ran around with a pistol with shotgun slugs and a giant scope. I got lucky and found a really good class mod that gave me +3 Bird of Prey and +4 Predator (IIRC) around level 20. Plus some other stuff, but those were highlights. I liked running into big crowds and toasting everybody short-range while my bird went crazy.

Haha I probably didn't, unless you were one of the people I added and then started getting messages from about deals while I was trying to play video games...I unadded most of those folks lol.

If you caught a rejection it was probably one of my roommates playing, I've given them clear instruction never to talk to anyone on my friends list. Just send another invite and I'll add you :).

Cheers,

Tony

Tony is admitting to letting others play on his account. When I report this to Gabe, I bet he gives me every game for free.
Oh no! Tony needs defending!

Sir, he has never admitted to letting others play on his account. He merely gave them instructions to ignore incoming messages.

You can play many things on many platforms, he never even said it was on his PC. it may have been a smartphone, or some other device, in which it would be impossible for anyone to play any videogames from his Steam account, yet may receive Steam messages.

Lawyered! and no games for you!

Now for my lawyers fee, I demand every game on the Amazon store... :)

Tony,

Are you price-matching Steam's current Hitman (like Hitman Absolution) deal? (Preferably as EC so we may use our coupons) 

Just started playing Borderlands GOTY. Quit after 30 minutes, can't stand the game. The childish humour, claptrap's singing, the repetitiveness of the missions, the oversized hud, the annoying handholding, the fact that it's obviously an unoptimized console port...

Is it the fact that I play as a sniper and this game isn't meant to be played realistically? I mean... I get hit 50 times and there's barely a scratch on me.

What's your experience with the game?
130 hours, solo. Love it. Maybe this isn't the game for you... maybe ARMA is more your thing. (I have no bleeding clue how you had those expectations about Borderlands.)

I played BL1 strictly solo, as well. I had a great time with it. I thought it lent itself better to solo play than BL2 did (I thought it was more difficult...BL2 solo is such a piece of cake it wrecked my enjoyment a bit...apparently if you join w/more players the difficulty goes up a bit, but I vastly prefer solo play in video games in general).
PT3 really kicks BL2 up a notch.

Took me about 9 months of failed starts and stops before i finally got a character over the level 5 hump in BL2. Once you get there suddenly the game is fun but up to that point, it's a full slog.

I was also mildly lamenting the difficulty until i joined INMATE the other night and repeatedly got stomped. I'm hooked now though. Anybody who wants to get that "revive a friend" achievement should definitely invite me.
In BL1 & BL2 you simply need to push past those first five levels (consider it the tutorial)... you don't even have your signature skill until lv5. IMO, in both the real game starts in playthrough 2 when you have enough skillpoints to start doing interesting builds and the difficulty increases. BTW, you can always make BL1/2 harder by using crappy guns.

I'll have to take a look after that... I'm such a low level that it likely doesn't matter much.

I mainly keep my distance... Though I do use a roid shield for the bonus melee damage.
Lower level builds are generally completely different from high level builds. You need stuff that helps you or works to the limited synergy you have.

Possibly the thing that impresses me the most in BL2 is that the skill trees are very well thought out and avoid the cookie-cutter builds problem since there are a lot of viable builds that play differently.

Yeah, like the worst 5 levels in the game... I should look to see if a mod has been made to start the game in Sanctuary with all previous stuff done. (and at lvl 5)
http://blog.gib.me/

Set personal boundaries when using it... e.g. resolve not to give yourself weapons... only use weapons you find/buy.

We should take a break from our RPG-ing for a evening of wub wub. Sounds like indef and Inmate might be in. I'd likely have to start a new character though, as all of mine are 50+. Though, Gibbed could be a solution for others. (In hindsight, I wish I had gone that route initially.)
I've been seriously thinking of using Gibbed to start my next toon at the beginning of PT2.

Of course I didn't expect any military sim realism, but I did hope the encounters would be dangerous, not a walk in the park.

Cheers,

Tony
My wife has been Hijacking my Steam as of late, and it has not been cool. I have trouble getting access to it now....

So I finally tried that Suupa Mario Buratuherus thing that I've heard about.  I finished world 1-1 in like 10 minutes.  All I do is run and jump.  WTH do people rave about this.

Cheers,

Tony
it's giving me an error when i click add friend on your profile now. :(

steam can be a pain in the ass sometimes

here's my profile link though

http://steamcommunity.com/id/CountBurgula/

also, liked your post, but unfortunately we have a like quota that is way too low.

Obviously not every encounter is a walk in the park, if they artificially raise the health of a particular npc to ridiculous numbers. What I meant is that I prefer to have a sense of danger when I'm being shot at, bullets should be equally deadly on both sides.

Answer me this: Does the game offer moments where you are killed easily but can inflict the same damage on the opponent, or is it always one of these two scenarios:

1) You kill opponents easily, they can hardly hurt you

2) You get killed easily, they hardly get a scratch from your attacks.

Obviously not every encounter is a walk in the park, if they artificially raise the health of a particular npc to ridiculous numbers. What I meant is that I prefer to have a sense of danger when I'm being shot at, bullets should be equally deadly on both sides.

Answer me this: Does the game offer moments where you are killed easily but can inflict the same damage on the opponent,
Nah, it ain't really that kind of game. I know what you're talking about, like Stalker where (until you have decent armor) you can get taken down by a single lucky headshot. But BL/BL2 aren't based around that kind of realism, they're based around collecting giant piles of swag by amassing ridiculous body counts.

I guess Amazon isn't one of the cool kids anymore?
They're afraid Jeff Bezos will send drones to their house.

Actually, someone should make a game about that. Like Paperboy but with Drones. Get the SuperDuperExpressPrimeExtraSpecialShipperSaver package to people's houses in 2 minutes or less or else! Oh and watch out for dogs.

Answer me this: Does the game offer moments where you are killed easily but can inflict the same damage on the opponent, or is it always one of these two scenarios:

THe opening areas are remarkably easy, and as you get further in the game it does get a good bit harder. You know. Like any game. I died a good amount of times. Is it Dark Souls? No. But it's not like there's zero challenge. Some of the bosses are tough, and as you get further in the game the mobs are bigger and tougher as well.

Edit: A lot of the encounters will fall under one of those two scenarios you described, depending on your level. If you're the right level for the quest (I found that a good difficulty was doing quests 1-3 levels above recommended) it won't be too easy, but you won't get slaughtered either.

THe opening areas are remarkably easy, and as you get further in the game it does get a good bit harder. You know. Like any game. I died a good amount of times. Is it Dark Souls? No. But it's not like there's zero challenge. Some of the bosses are tough, and as you get further in the game the mobs are bigger and tougher as well.

Edit: A lot of the encounters will fall under one of those two scenarios you described, depending on your level. If you're the right level for the quest (I found that a good difficulty was doing quests 1-3 levels above recommended) it won't be too easy, but you won't get slaughtered either.
This sounds about on point. Two levels above was a challenge, but manageable. Three levels above was at the limit of my available skill/gear/ammunition/patience.

About the closest you'd come to a damage vs damage scenario is mob encounters. Where the individual enemies can be easily dispatched, but being overrun can mean a quick death. Arma is what I think of when I think kill or be killed quickly. Borderlands is not like that at all.

Nah, it ain't really that kind of game. I know what you're talking about, like Stalker where (until you have decent armor) you can get taken down by a single lucky headshot. But BL/BL2 aren't based around that kind of realism, they're based around collecting giant piles of swag by amassing ridiculous body counts.
I must admit that I loved playing Stalker, and while not expecting the same kind of realism, I did expect a less arcade styled gameplay. I guess i'll try to approach BL from a different perspective then.

Playing on the PC now with the Psycho... I'm not doing a good job of playing to his style, I believe, so I'm suffering in my opinion. I've been downed quite a bit even when playing alone.
It's already been mentioned, but specific skill trees lend themselves to solo play. You don't have to do it that way, but it does increase your survivability. The Gearbox forums are full of chracter-specific builds.

Also, don't overlook equipment. Just because you love a certain shield or class mod type on another build, doesn't mean that it makes the most out of your skills.

I've been seriously thinking of using Gibbed to start my next toon at the beginning of PT2.
I seriously hope that with BL3, they allow you to skip to more advance playthroughs after you've completed the game with another character.

Does the game offer moments where you are killed easily but can inflict the same damage on the opponent, or is it always one of these two scenarios:

Again, it's already been mentioned, but BL2 is more about body count than being on equal footing with your foes. Keep in mind that it's built not so much as a typical play-it-once FPS, but as a game that allows you to level and loot over a long stretch. Multiple playthroughs are expected and, in my opinion, the later playthroughs (late second and all of third) are where the game really shines.

You will encounter enemies that can kill you with ease, but never in one shot. It'll almost always take at least two. Experiment with Slag weapons: slag an enemy and then switch to a weapon to which they are vulnerable (look at their health bars for a clue). This strategy becomes very important by playthrough 3.

There's a lot of depth here that isn't immediately apparent. It pays to do a little research on the Gearbox forums to look at weapons, skill tree builds, class mods, and shields that allow you to play the game in many different ways.

I seriously hope that with BL3, they allow you to skip to more advance playthroughs after you've completed the game with another character.
Oh, sooooo much this. I'd be willing to play through the game twice prior to unlocking UVHM, but doing it for each and every character is just recockulous.

I must admit that I loved playing Stalker, and while not expecting the same kind of realism, I did expect a less arcade styled gameplay. I guess i'll try to approach BL from a different perspective then.
If I were you, I'd at least give it til you've beaten 2-3 bosses. That'll give you a good taste of it. If you can't stand it by then, I wouldn't try to force it though.

If I were you, I'd at least give it til you've beaten 2-3 bosses. That'll give you a good taste of it. If you can't stand it by then, I wouldn't try to force it though.
I'd really say that things start forming themselves at level 16*. At that point you technically have enough points to get your first Game Changer skill (assuming your investing in only one tree). At that point, play styles really start to develop. Prior to that, it's more or less just shooting shit and collecting guns.

*Edit: Level 16 would be for BL2. It would take level 21 to get to a bottom tree skill in BL1 if I'm not mistaken.

This sounds about on point. Two levels above was a challenge, but manageable. Three levels above was at the limit of my available skill/gear/ammunition/patience.

About the closest you'd come to a damage vs damage scenario is mob encounters. Where the individual enemies can be easily dispatched, but being overrun can mean a quick death. Arma is what I think of when I think kill or be killed quickly. Borderlands is not like that at all.
DmC Heaven or Hell mode

...though I found it rather easy.

It's already been mentioned, but specific skill trees lend themselves to solo play. You don't have to do it that way, but it does increase your survivability. The Gearbox forums are full of chracter-specific builds.

Also, don't overlook equipment. Just because you love a certain shield or class mod type on another build, doesn't mean that it makes the most out of your skills.

Again, it's already been mentioned, but BL2 is more about body count than being on equal footing with your foes. Keep in mind that it's built not so much as a typical play-it-once FPS, but as a game that allows you to level and loot over a long stretch. Multiple playthroughs are expected and, in my opinion, the later playthroughs (late second and all of third) are where the game really shines.

You will encounter enemies that can kill you with ease, but never in one shot. It'll almost always take at least two. Experiment with Slag weapons: slag an enemy and then switch to a weapon to which they are vulnerable (look at their health bars for a clue). This strategy becomes very important by playthrough 3.

There's a lot of depth here that isn't immediately apparent. It pays to do a little research on the Gearbox forums to look at weapons, skill tree builds, class mods, and shields that allow you to play the game in many different ways.
This! Also in PT3 slag is critical. You also get faster weapon swapping in PT3. Playing with slag in PT2 I didn't find it that useful.

lv18 sledge is the first boss that gave me pause, iirc.

it's giving me an error when i click add friend on your profile now. :(

steam can be a pain in the ass sometimes

here's my profile link though

http://steamcommunity.com/id/CountBurgula/

also, liked your post, but unfortunately we have a like quota that is way too low.
It is a bug in the UI however there is a roundabout way. Go to his steam profile page, click on More (beside the Add Friend) and choose block all communication. Then go to your friends > blocked users, select his name and unblock him. Now you can send a friend request without error.

Crysis 3 is back at 4.99 after EC. I went ahead and grabbed that since I now have the first game from the other day. Otherwise...I'm still sitting on 9 EC coupons, I think. Hoping that fighter game asheskitty talked about returns, but otherwise there's nothing really on my radar except GTA Trilogy and I'm hoping that LA Noire gets a complete release listed.

EA guy,

I know you're reading this thread so do me a solid and get Amalur Complete up there for $10 pre-coupon.  Why so shy?  Is it not the sole insidious purpose that drives you to shackle us with the yoke of Origin?  This is the only way you'll get me, EA guy, the ONLY way!

EA guy,

I know you're reading this thread so do me a solid and get Amalur Complete up there for $10 pre-coupon. Why so shy? Is it not the sole insidious purpose that drives you to shackle us with the yoke of Origin? This is the only way you'll get me, EA guy, the ONLY way!
U just said Amalur was crappy. y u wanna buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back