Amazon PCDD - Important Update New Community Manager Incoming!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amazon DVG Deals

Official Representative
Feedback
4 (100%)
Hey CAGS,

I’ve got some news I’m both excited and sad to share with you at the same time. I’ll be leaving the Digital Video Games team in Mid-March to join the marketing team for Amazon.com’s Loyalty and Rewards program, Amazon Coins. My boss and I have talked extensively about how to maintain and continue our presence here and across the other communities we’ve created in the past couple of years. To that end I’d like to introduce you to Josh, who take over monitoring, updating, and responding to this thread. Josh will be ramping up over the next couple of weeks, he  will be posting shortly to introduce himself.

Now that the “what’s going on” part of the message is out of the way I want to tell you all how much I love CAG and the posters here. This was the first community I joined when I started this job (anyone still remember that first thread?) and all of you have had a huge hand in shaping how we think about and execute Community Development and Management here at Amazon, which has in turn shaped my career these last two and a half years.

I started to write out a section calling out the regular posters and realized the list would be both overly long and incomplete at the same time. Instead I’d like to thank you all again, you all have my deep and sincere gratitude. I’ll still be around and my gaming accounts aren’t going anywhere so feel free to hit me up anytime you want to chat. I’ll probably still hang out in the thread too :).

Thanks again everyone, let me or Josh know if you have any questions!

The Indie Store has launched!
Amazon.com is launching a storefront dedicated to supporting and promoting PC/Mac/Web-based Indie Games. Our Digital Video Games team is a small group of passionate gamers and we’re all really excited to help Indie developers reach more customers quickly by providing a quick and simple process for bringing their games to market. Additionally we’ll be supporting the Indie Store with a ton of promotions, both at and after launch. Many of these promotions are designed to give the developer the opportunity to maximize their revenue. For example, Amazon is forfeiting all royalties from bundle sales and passing them along directly to the developer, we’ve also created an “Indie Spotlight” program to help customers learn more about the games and developers they love. We view the Indie developers as some of the most creative in the industry and we want to help them continue to create new and innovative experience for customers.

Why we are doing this:

• Allow customers to discover an entirely new category of games on Amazon.com
  • Help developers reach new customers quickly. Our onboarding process is straightforward and we want to sell every Indie game available
  • We want to leverage our strengths to support and help the developers who are driving forward innovation and creativity in the games industry
General Information

Hi CAGs,
I'll be posting deals we're running on Digital Games (PC/Mac, Free to Play, Sony/Microsoft Points/Subs).

I'm also here to answer questions you might have, get you closer to the developers by hosting Q&As, setting up podcasts, live streaming gameplay etc. If I don't respond to a question you have in thread please send me a PM. These ping my email address and make it more likely that I will see your question and respond more quickly.

Cheers,
Tony

FYI. EA Games sold by Amazon will not activate on Steam.
F.A.Q.S.:

1. Does the game I'm buying from Amazon Activate on Steam/Origin/Uplay? What DRM does the game use?

There are two places to identify DRM on a digital video game detail page:

At the top of the page, below the title:

16hm7a8.png

In the "Product Description" section:

r06ykl.jpg

2. Note on Electronic Arts Games - For the most part, EA games sold on Amazon do not activate on Steam. Most activate on Origin.

3. Note on DRM with limited activations:

Our Policy

4. Sometimes I'll do giveaways.

5. I work with developers and publishers to get fun (or at least what I think is fun) content to share with you all. Here are some examples:

a. Check out the Pax Gameplay videos here: Xcom: Enemy Unknown I played Xcom with Jake, the Creative Director for the game, a few months before the game came out Also, on this page, check out the Q&A, also a community driven event.

b. Check out the interview on this page: Borderlands 2 we did this interview at E3 with Randy Pitchford this year.

c. We've partnered with the ++GoodGames Podcast to feature many of the games we carry. They talk to the developers about the game development process, how the games are conceptualized and managed, all kinds of fun stuff. I'm working on putting together full link list and will update when I have it.

What else do we sell?

Xbox Live Points and Subscriptions:

1600 Microsoft Live Points
4000 Microsoft Live Points
12 Month XBOX Live Subscription
3 Month XBOX Live Subscription]
12 Month + 1 XBOX Live Subscription

PSN+ Subscriptions and PSN Points:

$20 PSN Points
$50 PSN Points
12 Month PSN+ Subscription
3 Month PSN+ Subscription

We also have a Free-2-Play store supported by our GameConnect technology. Gameconnect allows you to link your Amazon.com account with free-2-play and MMO accounts so that you can buy things like in game currency, premium game time/subscriptions, in game items, etc. on Amazon.com using your Amazon.com payment options and have this content delivered directly into your game.

5. Price Matching notes: Generally we do not match international retailers (GMG, Gamersgate, etc) or physical retailers (Best Buy, Newegg.com, etc.)
To check out the Free-2-Play games we offer you can visit our storefront here: Free-2-Play Store

Last edited by a moderator:
I see Mooby has new competition.
not quite. bruticus is the sith lord, mooby is his apprentice.

given that apprentices always kill their master, if anything it's bruticus that has competition.

mooby still has things like hope...see his overly optimistic predictions of humble bundles

bruticus is a relentless force of gloom and doom. mooby is tenacious, but has much to learn still

Yup, Tony and Amazon are handling all the details. What could possibly go wrong?
Well I heard he email a lot of insurance companies but either they did not get back to him or they said "we are looking into it we will get back to you" or something like that.

The one that did get back to him had a good deal but their plans where loaded with various co-pays. One of the plans was rumored to have it's co-pay cancelled on July 1st and anyone that had that plan was going to be stuck with a useless plan if the insurance company did not remove the co-pay. To risky.

I asked a similar question elsewhere and was told the community is almost dead but you can play solo with bots.

Plus, I've since found out about a Star Wars mod for it that looks reeeeally interesting. SO I guess you can maybe play Solo with that too.

GEDDIT!?!?! SOLO?!?!?!? HAN SOLO?!??!?!?

Man I'm funny

http://fsmod.com/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQDFDjvE-oE
I would avoid that and just fire up some good old Battlefront 1.

So I finally tried that Suupa Mario Buratuherus thing that I've heard about. I finished world 1-1 in like 10 minutes. All I do is run and jump. WTH do people rave about this.
You're doing it wrong, you're supposed to go down the pipes and keep awkwardly bending over until the Goombas stop leaking on the floor. Didn't anyone tell you it was a plumbing sim?

Obviously not every encounter is a walk in the park, if they artificially raise the health of a particular npc to ridiculous numbers. What I meant is that I prefer to have a sense of danger when I'm being shot at, bullets should be equally deadly on both sides.

Answer me this: Does the game offer moments where you are killed easily but can inflict the same damage on the opponent, or is it always one of these two scenarios:

1) You kill opponents easily, they can hardly hurt you

2) You get killed easily, they hardly get a scratch from your attacks.
It's basically an RPG, everything functions on a point system, not standard shooter health rules (ie. a few shots to both side are fatal). It's like if you played Skyrim and expected to kill and be killed by a single arrow, it's not that sort of game. The difficulty definitely evens out further into the game provided you stay around the suggested level for quests. I found a lot of later scenarios pretty challenging, but in a satisfying way. The bulk of the game however is collecting a truckload of guns, the variety and originality of which are quite above most shooters and a joy to use (see my previous comment about a sniper-machine-pistol).

If you are looking for anything resembling realism this isn't it, and if you need a good story to drive you through a game you're going to be disappointed by that as well (though I hear 2's story is better). Borderlands to me has always been just about killing and looting to my hearts content in a style that not many if any other games can offer. Whether that's for you is for you to decide.

Uncanny. I just made stole some quinoa. First time, too. Doesn't taste half-bad.
I think I found it, Ashes.

It's basically an RPG, everything functions on a point system, not standard shooter health rules (ie. a few shots to both side are fatal). It's like if you played Skyrim and expected to kill and be killed by a single arrow, it's not that sort of game.
This is the reason I hate most shooter RPGs (ME, BL) and even stuff like Skyrim. A shot to the head should be a shot to the head, a shot the the heart should be a shot to the heart.

I'd much prefer those games have a wonky shooting system that would make it so I missed shots more, thus explaining why I didn't do damage, then having to deal with "well I know you shot me in the head, but the dice rolled a 1 so try again."

This is the reason I hate most shooter RPGs (ME, BL) and even stuff like Skyrim. A shot to the head should be a shot to the head, a shot the the heart should be a shot to the heart.

I'd much prefer those games have a wonky shooting system that would make it so I missed shots more, thus explaining why I didn't do damage, then having to deal with "well I know you shot me in the head, but the dice rolled a 1 so try again."
Well some RPGs do that, where you just miss a hit instead of dealing lesser damage, but I personally find that even more annoying since it's completely random.

I don't think Borderlands works on that sort of dice role system, what I meant by that comment is that you deal X amount of damage, and enemies have X amount of health, but both these fluctuate and increase as you get further through the game and level up. It's not like say CoD where you will always do and take the same damage. Some may prefer one to the other, it's mostly personal preference, but I think in a game like Borderlands which takes tens-to-hundreds of hours to complete it works better than a traditional shooter, which to me would become incredibly dull if everything was static the whole way through.

The story is a hell of a lot better
Indeed. It's not amazing or anything but Jack's a humorous villain and it gives you a continual narrative to keep moving forward besides simply "Find the Vault 'cause... look, just find the Vault."

If I was going to only play one GTA, should it be IV? I mean, since V isn't on PC. Maybe I shouldn't play any of the PC ports and risk having my GTA V owning son laugh at me.

Indeed. It's not amazing or anything but Jack's a humorous villain and it gives you a continual narrative to keep moving forward besides simply "Find the Vault 'cause... look, just find the Vault."
yea...2's story is better simply because there actually IS a story. In one i had no idea what was going on, or if there even was anything going on. I was happy enough w/the gameplay that it didnt matter

If I was going to only play one GTA, should it be IV? I mean, since V isn't on PC. Maybe I shouldn't play any of the PC ports and risk having my GTA V owning son laugh at me.
GTA IV is a grind IMO. It's decent but it's serious and long. I suppose one could recommend one of EEFLC, The Ballad of Gay Tony is well received (I haven't played it though, I'm partway into The Lost and The Damned.)

I'd suggest GTA San Andreas as it's the most advanced of the fun GTAs... however if the setting of Vice City has a strong pull then that's a fine choice too.

5 was pretty fun. I didn't enjoy Lost & Damned much but Gay Tony was better for sure.
I can't say I was enjoying TLATD... I should probably table it and give Gay Tony a spin next time I'm up for some GTA.

Far Cry 3 put everything else on hold for a while... I'll need to decide if I should play FC3 Blood Dragon right after, or have a break between them.

I can't say I was enjoying TLATD... I should probably table it and give Gay Tony a spin next time I'm up for some GTA.

Far Cry 3 put everything else on hold for a while... I'll need to decide if I should play FC3 Blood Dragon right after, or have a break between them.
Break, the gameplay is identical aside from throwing cybernetic hearts at giant lizards.

Agreed.  I never finished Blood Dragon and I think it was 50% burn out from just finishing FC3 and 50% burn out from looking at the horrendous color scheme.

i stopped part way through but I think it was due to other games distracting me, not necessarily getting sick of the game. Need to finish it some day.
That's about 90% of the problem I have.

"Oh, THIS is such a great game, I'll never lose interest... lose interest in... look at THAT game. It looks awesome!"

I don't think I've really completed a game in 5 plus years because of this ADD type behavior.

Agreed. I never finished Blood Dragon and I think it was 50% burn out from just finishing FC3 and 50% burn out from looking at the horrendous color scheme.
The scan lines in Blood Dragon give me headaches (both figurative and literal). Why didn't Ubi include an option to turn them off?

That, in addition to the neon color palette makes it a game best suited for five minute play sessions (at least in my house).

The scan lines in Blood Dragon give me headaches (both figurative and literal). Why didn't Ubi include an option to turn them off?

That, in addition to the neon color palette makes it a game best suited for five minute play sessions (at least in my house).
Are you slighting my interior design prowess?

Since we know Bioshock Infinite is going until the 31st, and assuming the backlog is also infinite, it makes sense to just wait until the end of the sale in case Steam pulls a 9.99 sale in the next 10 or so days, right?

GTA IV is a grind IMO. It's decent but it's serious and long. I suppose one could recommend one of EEFLC, The Ballad of Gay Tony is well received (I haven't played it though, I'm partway into The Lost and The Damned.)

I'd suggest GTA San Andreas as it's the most advanced of the fun GTAs... however if the setting of Vice City has a strong pull then that's a fine choice too.
if you thought gta4 was a grind your playing it wrong imo. Do the main story missions, don't get bogged down doing side stuff/friend activities and its a whole different experience. That being said Gay Tony was superior of the 3 story arcs for gta4. Sure San Andreas is my favorite of them all but that doesn't mean 4 is bad, its just different.

Since we know Bioshock Infinite is going until the 31st, and assuming the backlog is also infinite, it makes sense to just wait until the end of the sale in case Steam pulls a 9.99 sale in the next 10 or so days, right?
Assuming the backlog is infinite, it makes even more sense to just wait for the goatee version ;)

if you thought gta4 was a grind your playing it wrong imo. Do the main story missions, don't get bogged down doing side stuff/friend activities and its a whole different experience. That being said Gay Tony was superior of the 3 story arcs for gta4. Sure San Andreas is my favorite of them all but that doesn't mean 4 is bad, its just different.
Ugh, imo, gta4 was a horrible pot of video game sludge. I regret blowing ten hours trying to convince myself i wasn't bored with it. The main story missions...not fun either. Always starts out driving with those terrible driving controls that made it feel like I was driving an elephant through a giant bowl of molasses, followed by "shoot this guy with our crappy shooting mechanics."

Blargh, i hated that game.

How the hell it has like a 96 metascore is beyond my comprehension.

I actually like some Rockstar games - Red Dead Redemption was spectacular. As a whole, I think Rockstar is overrated, though.
I forgot about RDR. I played that for a good 10 hours or so before getting bored which is a personal record for me and any Rockstar game.

Don't suppose there's any chance Dark Souls will end up on the editors choice list?  Or was it already and I missed it?  I have 2 coupons sitting around, and just can't find anything to use them on.  Very disappointed with the sale so far. :(

Edit: To be fair, it's likely just that I already have all the games that have been on sale that I might want - I haven't been following it very closely, but everytime I look at the list, I just don't see much I don't have that I would want.  So my huge steam inventory is at blame for a lot of it, not necessarily the sale itself.

Gta4 is currently not a horrible port, if you have a decent system to run it. The PC version is MUCH better than the console version. I actually used a side by side demonstration to convince my best friend to build a gaming PC. But yeah the console version is a like playing in mud.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back