Amazon PCDD - Important Update New Community Manager Incoming!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amazon DVG Deals

Official Representative
Feedback
4 (100%)
Hey CAGS,

I’ve got some news I’m both excited and sad to share with you at the same time. I’ll be leaving the Digital Video Games team in Mid-March to join the marketing team for Amazon.com’s Loyalty and Rewards program, Amazon Coins. My boss and I have talked extensively about how to maintain and continue our presence here and across the other communities we’ve created in the past couple of years. To that end I’d like to introduce you to Josh, who take over monitoring, updating, and responding to this thread. Josh will be ramping up over the next couple of weeks, he  will be posting shortly to introduce himself.

Now that the “what’s going on” part of the message is out of the way I want to tell you all how much I love CAG and the posters here. This was the first community I joined when I started this job (anyone still remember that first thread?) and all of you have had a huge hand in shaping how we think about and execute Community Development and Management here at Amazon, which has in turn shaped my career these last two and a half years.

I started to write out a section calling out the regular posters and realized the list would be both overly long and incomplete at the same time. Instead I’d like to thank you all again, you all have my deep and sincere gratitude. I’ll still be around and my gaming accounts aren’t going anywhere so feel free to hit me up anytime you want to chat. I’ll probably still hang out in the thread too :).

Thanks again everyone, let me or Josh know if you have any questions!

The Indie Store has launched!
Amazon.com is launching a storefront dedicated to supporting and promoting PC/Mac/Web-based Indie Games. Our Digital Video Games team is a small group of passionate gamers and we’re all really excited to help Indie developers reach more customers quickly by providing a quick and simple process for bringing their games to market. Additionally we’ll be supporting the Indie Store with a ton of promotions, both at and after launch. Many of these promotions are designed to give the developer the opportunity to maximize their revenue. For example, Amazon is forfeiting all royalties from bundle sales and passing them along directly to the developer, we’ve also created an “Indie Spotlight” program to help customers learn more about the games and developers they love. We view the Indie developers as some of the most creative in the industry and we want to help them continue to create new and innovative experience for customers.

Why we are doing this:

• Allow customers to discover an entirely new category of games on Amazon.com
  • Help developers reach new customers quickly. Our onboarding process is straightforward and we want to sell every Indie game available
  • We want to leverage our strengths to support and help the developers who are driving forward innovation and creativity in the games industry
General Information

Hi CAGs,
I'll be posting deals we're running on Digital Games (PC/Mac, Free to Play, Sony/Microsoft Points/Subs).

I'm also here to answer questions you might have, get you closer to the developers by hosting Q&As, setting up podcasts, live streaming gameplay etc. If I don't respond to a question you have in thread please send me a PM. These ping my email address and make it more likely that I will see your question and respond more quickly.

Cheers,
Tony

FYI. EA Games sold by Amazon will not activate on Steam.
F.A.Q.S.:

1. Does the game I'm buying from Amazon Activate on Steam/Origin/Uplay? What DRM does the game use?

There are two places to identify DRM on a digital video game detail page:

At the top of the page, below the title:

16hm7a8.png

In the "Product Description" section:

r06ykl.jpg

2. Note on Electronic Arts Games - For the most part, EA games sold on Amazon do not activate on Steam. Most activate on Origin.

3. Note on DRM with limited activations:

Our Policy

4. Sometimes I'll do giveaways.

5. I work with developers and publishers to get fun (or at least what I think is fun) content to share with you all. Here are some examples:

a. Check out the Pax Gameplay videos here: Xcom: Enemy Unknown I played Xcom with Jake, the Creative Director for the game, a few months before the game came out Also, on this page, check out the Q&A, also a community driven event.

b. Check out the interview on this page: Borderlands 2 we did this interview at E3 with Randy Pitchford this year.

c. We've partnered with the ++GoodGames Podcast to feature many of the games we carry. They talk to the developers about the game development process, how the games are conceptualized and managed, all kinds of fun stuff. I'm working on putting together full link list and will update when I have it.

What else do we sell?

Xbox Live Points and Subscriptions:

1600 Microsoft Live Points
4000 Microsoft Live Points
12 Month XBOX Live Subscription
3 Month XBOX Live Subscription]
12 Month + 1 XBOX Live Subscription

PSN+ Subscriptions and PSN Points:

$20 PSN Points
$50 PSN Points
12 Month PSN+ Subscription
3 Month PSN+ Subscription

We also have a Free-2-Play store supported by our GameConnect technology. Gameconnect allows you to link your Amazon.com account with free-2-play and MMO accounts so that you can buy things like in game currency, premium game time/subscriptions, in game items, etc. on Amazon.com using your Amazon.com payment options and have this content delivered directly into your game.

5. Price Matching notes: Generally we do not match international retailers (GMG, Gamersgate, etc) or physical retailers (Best Buy, Newegg.com, etc.)
To check out the Free-2-Play games we offer you can visit our storefront here: Free-2-Play Store

Last edited by a moderator:
When did he say there was no big update today ??  I followed the thread since talk of a big update and of Ubi fans who should be happy on friday and never saw anything pointing to the contrary.. I clearly saw a post from Tony on Reddit calling for a Big Update today.. and that was sent after the announcement for GTA games. So I was getting excited for nothing    :wall:

Was the Ubi fan happiness all based solely on AC4 ??

Just wanted to give a shout out to EA/505 and the rest who help contribute.  Thank you for all the great deals you gave us this year.

i know a lot do not like origin but its  always worked good for me and i don't like having all my eggs in one basket.

if it wasn't for you guys that list would have been pretty small.

When did he say there was no big update today ?? I followed the thread since talk of a big update and of Ubi fans who should be happy on friday and never saw anything pointing to the contrary.. so I was getting excited for nothing :wall:

Was the Ubi fan happiness all based solely on AC4 ??
Possibly only ACIV, but today's only Thursday, so I'm confused by the confusion.

re: ACIII
I haven't heard back on these yet.

Heyo,

No plans on the other AC content.

Cheers,

Tony
re: "Big Update"
Huh, I retract my statement I didn't think I'd updated them on that yet.

In that case the big update will be much less big tomorrow lol. Unless Square gets back before I need to post.

Cheers,

Tony
re: Deep Silver
My guy still says they are targeting for next week. I have yet to receive anything final yet though so I'm getting pretty skeptical.

Cheers,

Tony
re: "Big Update"
Ah got it. There's not much of an update for CAG, reddit doesn't know about the Rockstar stuff and Square has committed to getting back to us today/tomorrow on EC stuff. That's what I am referring to in that post.

Lol, HOW CAN ANY CHILDREN FIT IN THERE?

Cheers,

Tony

If there was anything about a big update tomorrow then I missed it.

And if you just read two posts further:

*squeals like a school girl

*but not loudly so as to not lose man card

Any chance we'll find out what's on sale prior? :D

[–]TvacgamerAmazon Marketing Manager[S] 7 points

1 day ago

AC IV, still working on the specifics but the coupon will work on it and it won't be more expensive pre-coupon than it is right now.

Cheers, Tony
I know, you just mentioned not hearing anything about Friday. That was what I thought was being talked about.

But that didn't mean it was the only thing..  to say I think Friday will be exciting for lots of people .. I was expecting more out of the Ubisoft Rep.

But that didn't mean it was the only thing..  to say I think Friday will be exciting for lots of people .. I was expecting more out of the Ubisoft Rep. They did deals on AC titles and FarCry 3 in December.. why not now in January?

But that didn't mean it was the only thing.. to say I think Friday will be exciting for lots of people .. I was expecting more out of the Ubisoft Rep. They did deals on AC titles and FarCry 3 in December.. why not now in January?
Tony's already specifically confirmed there will be no deals on any AC content other than ACIV and Far Cry 3 is likely not a go in January in posts here.

I'm glad I went ahead and bout the AC stuff I wanted back when it was 75% off on Steam (and the Uplay store). I believe last year Amazon also had a B1G1 on DRM free Ubisoft titles in May so maybe that will come back.

I wish there was deals on all that too personally, but i'm just pointing out that it's been confirmed there won't be.

Is it really that bad? (Serious question.) I only played a bit of it on PS3, but now own everything on PC and planned to play them one of these days. I'm afraid if I skip AC1, I may not want to go back and I generally like to play things in order.
From what I've noticed, when ACI came out it was praised and well received (and is a good game IMO). Ever since all the other ones came out, a lot of people are of the opinion it is bad or the worst of the series. It may be, but it's still good. That's like comparing GTA III with IV. Obviously IV is going to have improve upon III.

Is it really that bad? (Serious question.) I only played a bit of it on PS3, but now own everything on PC and planned to play them one of these days. I'm afraid if I skip AC1, I may not want to go back and I generally like to play things in order.
Lots of people hate AC, but quite a few people like the first one. From what I've been told, the first one is much more about being an assassin than the follow-ups; you actually have to follow around and stake out your target. The following games you basically just go around killing everything at will. The idea kind of gets lost. OTOH, the first game is very repetitive because it makes you go through the same shadowing actions for each target, multiple times from my understanding, and people hate that aspect of it.

AC 1 is a great game, but the others are better so it makes it look like crap. But if you're new to the series I highly recommend starting with AC 1, that way you can see for yourself. Pretty much if you start with the first game and have never touched any of the others you'll probably like it (if you can look past how repetitive it can be) but if you have played the others you'll hate it

I agree with the posts about AC1. I loved it when it came out. I thought the animation and ability to climb walls so easily were fantastic. I enjoyed getting in fights and stalking targets. I wasn't bothered by the repetitiveness of the missions.

However, when AC2 came out and adjusted the mechanics and added more variety, it was a big improvement on the gameplay over the first. It's probably the sort of updates that would make it very unenjoyable playing AC1 after any of the others.

Lots of people hate AC, but quite a few people like the first one. From what I've been told, the first one is much more about being an assassin than the follow-ups; you actually have to follow around and stake out your target. The following games you basically just go around killing everything at will. The idea kind of gets lost. OTOH, the first game is very repetitive because it makes you go through the same shadowing actions for each target, multiple times from my understanding, and people hate that aspect of it.
You sound like you haven't played AC2/B/R.

Thanks for the thoughts on AC1. I'll likely start off with finishing that first before moving on.
I started with AC2 since that was the best liked (only 1 & 2 were out, B was nearing release), and I figured that if I didn't like that I wouldn't like the series. I've since beaten AC2, B, & R. I finally got around to play AC1 a bit while waiting for AC3/4 to drop. I have no complaints so far. To me, the city they are set in is a bit part of the experience. Also give me a decent stabbing simulator and I"m happy.

You sound like you haven't played AC2/B/R.
I haven't played any of them, aside from about the first 20-30 minutes of 2. I tried that out and then bought 1, B, and R in the winter sale. Haven't gotten to them yet, but will play 1 before the others due to the general comments I've seen regarding it and the evolution of the game style as the series progressed.

I haven't played any of them, aside from about the first 20-30 minutes of 2. I tried that out and then bought 1, B, and R in the winter sale. Haven't gotten to them yet, but will play 1 before the others due to the general comments I've seen regarding it and the evolution of the game style as the series progressed.
Um, yeah...

Well, I'll just note that you'll probably want to space them out... the gameplay is very similar and after 40-45 hours (my typical complete length for them) they've begun to wear out their welcome.

And when you get to ACR, start playing with bombs right away, bomb mats are more plentiful than they seem.

The repetition (and lack of variety in the cities) got to me and I rarely make a stink about games in general. However, the story/setting, the lore, and the characters is what kept driving me to finish it. I wanted to see how it finished up and I'm glad I stuck with it to the end.

I'm also of the same mindset in liking to start a new series in order and AC1 is one you'll want to play and finish. A few of the games after even revisit some parts of AC1. So if you don't like to miss out on references it's also a good idea to start here.

Plus, how can one appreciate if something is good/great if you haven't experienced something bad/lacking first? eh eh?

Edit: Come to think of it, maybe by playing AC1 first it leveled up my tolerance for future AC titles. I've still enjoyed the series immensely up to ACIII which I haven't quiet started yet.

Um, yeah...

Well, I'll just note that you'll probably want to space them out... the gameplay is very similar and after 40-45 hours (my typical complete length for them) they've begun to wear out their welcome.
I think this has been my big roadblock in enjoying ACIV. After playing all the previous games, it really does start to feel like you're playing the same game over and over with minor improvements and a different Assassin's cloak for the character you're controlling. I really want to like it, and the sailing bits of ACIII were far and away the best part of that game, but man, the thought of going through the same basic mission types for another 30 hours is making playing it a chore, which has led to playing a lot of other stuff in the meantime.

I'm not saying you can't play them back to back and get some enjoyment out of them, but even playing them as they release about a year apart seems too soon.

I loved ac1. It didn't get repetitive till the final time through the cities. Ac 2 I have had trouble getting I've played a decent chunk, but everytime I pick it up it doesn't last long. I think trying to be a completionist isn't helping my cause, but everytime Ai tell myself not to worry about the little things and I see something out of reach and shiny I have to figure out how to grab it.

From what I've noticed, when ACI came out it was praised and well received (and is a good game IMO). Ever since all the other ones came out, a lot of people are of the opinion it is bad or the worst of the series. It may be, but it's still good. That's like comparing GTA III with IV. Obviously IV is going to have improve upon III.
I think GTA 3 is an excellent comparison for AC 1. Both did something quite new, and did a great job putting together the basic gameplay of that thing. Both were then well-improved on by their sequels.

Also give me a decent stabbing simulator and I"m happy.
There is that.

Yeah, I have to space them apart too.  I 100%ed Revelations a couple of months ago and I won't play III until this time next year at the earliest.

Having played and beaten the first 4 AC games, I can easily say you should play the Ezio trilogy alone and forget the first one since it does not compare gameplay wise.

Edit: I agree AC1 was awesome when it first came out but AC2 made too many improvements to be able to go back and enjoy AC1.

The repetition (and lack of variety in the cities) got to me and I rarely make a stink about games in general. However, the story/setting, the lore, and the characters is what kept driving me to finish it. I wanted to see how it finished up and I'm glad I stuck with it to the end.

I'm also of the same mindset in liking to start a new series in order and AC1 is one you'll want to play and finish. A few of the games after even revisit some parts of AC1. So if you don't like to miss out on references it's also a good idea to start here.
I really liked Venice. I appreciated the variety of Rome (and plowing my horse through crowds). Constantinople was oddly dull -- the highlight of ACR for me was wrapping up Ezio's story.

Plus, how can one appreciate if something is good/great if you haven't experienced something bad/lacking first? eh eh?
Is it better to love or be loved?

I loved ac1. It didn't get repetitive till the final time through the cities. Ac 2 I have had trouble getting I've played a decent chunk, but everytime I pick it up it doesn't last long. I think trying to be a completionist isn't helping my cause, but everytime Ai tell myself not to worry about the little things and I see something out of reach and shiny I have to figure out how to grab it.
Weird... I really loved AC2. I would say for AC2, fuck collecting the feathers. Collecting in ACB was much better, even enjoyable.

I really liked Venice. I appreciated the variety of Rome (and plowing my horse through crowds). Constantinople was oddly dull -- the highlight of ACR for me was wrapping up Ezio's story.

Is it better to love or be loved?
Definitely agree. Venice was very well done, that might've been my favorite location in the series up to ACIII. Rome was great too. I had too much fun scaling the Colosseum, running around, and jumping off into hay carts. Then stealing a horse and rampaging through the crowds. I admit I spent a fair amount of time doing this as well. Constantinople had a couple nice large set piecies, so I didn't mind it as much, but I can understand seeing the dullness in it.

I disliked Tuscany because of all the climbing necessary to collect all of the feathers. So many towers.

The ability to love makes you be loved, or so that's what the internets say. I am no expert. :whistle2:

The only thing AC1 has going against it is the repetition, imo. It does a lot of things better than the later games, in truth. The series slowly gets more and more scripted. Much more free-form in AC1.

Do NOT skip Brotherhood, it's the best of the Ezio trilogy
Agreed.

I think AC2 and Brotherhood are the best of the AC Club that I've played so far.

AC:R was good, but not great - certainly better than AC1, though.

While I have AC3, I still have NOT touched it.

Don't have AC4 yet.

Can't speak on those.

Well I think it is, but obviously some people disagree. I think they're crazy, but whatever. And in comparison to the later games, it's just awful.

AC wasn't that well received at release, it got a lot of criticism for the shitty missions/investigations. They tried to address that in the PC version by adding a couple of additional shitty investigations to the mix. I know that I canceled my plans to buy the game after reading what people had to say about it, and I had been hyped for a year+. I rented it later and then understood the complaints.

I think it's true that you won't want to go back, so if you're set on playing it then it's best to do that before getting into the later games. I've tried to play 1 several times since playing the later games and it feels bad man.

And when you get to ACR, start playing with bombs right away, bomb mats are more plentiful than they seem.
I didn't mess with bombs til I had finished the game and was wrapping up the faction quest things. I found them so useful and added tons of versatility to the game, wish I had been using them all along.

I think GTA 3 is an excellent comparison for AC 1. Both did something quite new, and did a great job putting together the basic gameplay of that thing. Both were then well-improved on by their sequels.

There is that.
Agreed.

If we're talking GTA series, for me - it's all about GTA: Vice City.

That was my favorite one, by far.

And yes - SA was awesome, as well. But - never finished that, though.

I still would love to see a Vice City 2.

Really still wanting that GTA5 PC Port, as most of y'all know...

EDIT:

The only thing AC1 has going against it is the repetition, imo. It does a lot of things better than the later games, in truth. The series slowly gets more and more scripted. Much more free-form in AC1.
AC1's side-quests of cut-n-paste job for actual quests, character models, voice-action, and whatnot - yeah, that was horrible.

Main quest stuff was good, though - and the reason to play the game.

Also - as always, I love climbing to the top of those areas then doing the Leap Of Faith. I can never grow tired of that.

I'm puzzled at some people's recollection of AC1's reception.  I recall it being noted as a flawed game with an interesting concept.  AC2 reviews particularly noting how they seemed to have properly realized their concept this time.

===Topic Change===

>.> I'd wager In the Air Tonight more accurately sums up the Amazon EC Thread vibe...
[customspoiler='In the Air Tonight']
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkADj0TPrJA[/customspoiler]

I'm puzzled at some people's recollection of AC1's reception. I recall it being noted as a flawed game with an interesting concept. AC2 reviews particularly noting how they seemed to have properly realized their concept this time.
That sounds like the way I remember it. I personally always felt like 1 was sort of a proof of concept of the freerunning mechanic and then 2 was the real game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back