Amazon PCDD - Important Update New Community Manager Incoming!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amazon DVG Deals

Official Representative
Feedback
4 (100%)
Hey CAGS,

I’ve got some news I’m both excited and sad to share with you at the same time. I’ll be leaving the Digital Video Games team in Mid-March to join the marketing team for Amazon.com’s Loyalty and Rewards program, Amazon Coins. My boss and I have talked extensively about how to maintain and continue our presence here and across the other communities we’ve created in the past couple of years. To that end I’d like to introduce you to Josh, who take over monitoring, updating, and responding to this thread. Josh will be ramping up over the next couple of weeks, he  will be posting shortly to introduce himself.

Now that the “what’s going on” part of the message is out of the way I want to tell you all how much I love CAG and the posters here. This was the first community I joined when I started this job (anyone still remember that first thread?) and all of you have had a huge hand in shaping how we think about and execute Community Development and Management here at Amazon, which has in turn shaped my career these last two and a half years.

I started to write out a section calling out the regular posters and realized the list would be both overly long and incomplete at the same time. Instead I’d like to thank you all again, you all have my deep and sincere gratitude. I’ll still be around and my gaming accounts aren’t going anywhere so feel free to hit me up anytime you want to chat. I’ll probably still hang out in the thread too :).

Thanks again everyone, let me or Josh know if you have any questions!

The Indie Store has launched!
Amazon.com is launching a storefront dedicated to supporting and promoting PC/Mac/Web-based Indie Games. Our Digital Video Games team is a small group of passionate gamers and we’re all really excited to help Indie developers reach more customers quickly by providing a quick and simple process for bringing their games to market. Additionally we’ll be supporting the Indie Store with a ton of promotions, both at and after launch. Many of these promotions are designed to give the developer the opportunity to maximize their revenue. For example, Amazon is forfeiting all royalties from bundle sales and passing them along directly to the developer, we’ve also created an “Indie Spotlight” program to help customers learn more about the games and developers they love. We view the Indie developers as some of the most creative in the industry and we want to help them continue to create new and innovative experience for customers.

Why we are doing this:

• Allow customers to discover an entirely new category of games on Amazon.com
  • Help developers reach new customers quickly. Our onboarding process is straightforward and we want to sell every Indie game available
  • We want to leverage our strengths to support and help the developers who are driving forward innovation and creativity in the games industry
General Information

Hi CAGs,
I'll be posting deals we're running on Digital Games (PC/Mac, Free to Play, Sony/Microsoft Points/Subs).

I'm also here to answer questions you might have, get you closer to the developers by hosting Q&As, setting up podcasts, live streaming gameplay etc. If I don't respond to a question you have in thread please send me a PM. These ping my email address and make it more likely that I will see your question and respond more quickly.

Cheers,
Tony

FYI. EA Games sold by Amazon will not activate on Steam.
F.A.Q.S.:

1. Does the game I'm buying from Amazon Activate on Steam/Origin/Uplay? What DRM does the game use?

There are two places to identify DRM on a digital video game detail page:

At the top of the page, below the title:

16hm7a8.png

In the "Product Description" section:

r06ykl.jpg

2. Note on Electronic Arts Games - For the most part, EA games sold on Amazon do not activate on Steam. Most activate on Origin.

3. Note on DRM with limited activations:

Our Policy

4. Sometimes I'll do giveaways.

5. I work with developers and publishers to get fun (or at least what I think is fun) content to share with you all. Here are some examples:

a. Check out the Pax Gameplay videos here: Xcom: Enemy Unknown I played Xcom with Jake, the Creative Director for the game, a few months before the game came out Also, on this page, check out the Q&A, also a community driven event.

b. Check out the interview on this page: Borderlands 2 we did this interview at E3 with Randy Pitchford this year.

c. We've partnered with the ++GoodGames Podcast to feature many of the games we carry. They talk to the developers about the game development process, how the games are conceptualized and managed, all kinds of fun stuff. I'm working on putting together full link list and will update when I have it.

What else do we sell?

Xbox Live Points and Subscriptions:

1600 Microsoft Live Points
4000 Microsoft Live Points
12 Month XBOX Live Subscription
3 Month XBOX Live Subscription]
12 Month + 1 XBOX Live Subscription

PSN+ Subscriptions and PSN Points:

$20 PSN Points
$50 PSN Points
12 Month PSN+ Subscription
3 Month PSN+ Subscription

We also have a Free-2-Play store supported by our GameConnect technology. Gameconnect allows you to link your Amazon.com account with free-2-play and MMO accounts so that you can buy things like in game currency, premium game time/subscriptions, in game items, etc. on Amazon.com using your Amazon.com payment options and have this content delivered directly into your game.

5. Price Matching notes: Generally we do not match international retailers (GMG, Gamersgate, etc) or physical retailers (Best Buy, Newegg.com, etc.)
To check out the Free-2-Play games we offer you can visit our storefront here: Free-2-Play Store

Last edited by a moderator:
Why is everyone so antsy over Amalur? It's not on the EC list, is it? Does Amazon carry the Steam version?
Because EA is going to add it to the EC list today and give out Steam keys!

Anyway, Amazon had this cheaper years ago so for those of us that aren't Origin averse, it's just another lackluster sale from Steam.

Why is everyone so antsy over Amalur? It's not on the EC list, is it? Does Amazon carry the Steam version?
It's like dripping some blood into the piranha tank... they'll get whipped into a frenzy.

I'd also imagine most any CAG who wanted it has it on Origin already... now there's the community-wide... double-dip?...hmm...

Also with EA as the steam pub then Steam is the only store where one can get the Steam version, holding to EA tradition.

I wish i could have gotten KOA when it was 8 something, but i had reasons i did not get it. this was my 1 hope, and now it is gone :(

my purchases in january:

$ 1 humblebundle: bohemia interactive (already had arma 2)

$12 steam: kingdoms of amalur complete

amazon: nothing yet from ec list

all others (gmg, gf, gg, etc): nothing

Because EA is going to add it to the EC list today and give out Steam keys!

Anyway, Amazon had this cheaper years ago so for those of us that aren't Origin averse, it's just another lackluster sale from Steam.
It's like dripping some blood into the piranha tank... they'll get whipped into a frenzy.

I'd also imagine most any CAG who wanted it has it on Origin already... now there's the community-wide... double-dip?...hmm...

Also with EA as the steam pub then Steam is the only store where one can get the Steam version, holding to EA tradition.
I haven't played it yet, but I got it ~8.50 months back on Origin. Paying $12 just for Steam integration seems whacked to me.
Yeah, I payed $8 from GMG for the Origin based collection. The collection would have to be at least that price for me to even consider double dipping. But, like fox, I don't mind Origin, so it would probably actually take free Steam keys for me to get excited.

Regarding KoA: You know, at this point, I don't even care anymore.  There was a time when I would have picked it up sub $10, but my backlog has gotten to the point where I doubt I would ever consider playing it.  It's too little, too late - for me, anyway, I know there are others still interested.

No they don't, and it's because they took it away (for cheap) for a long time, and when people are told they can't have something, no matter what it is, they absolutely fuck ing need it. Imagine if Bad Rats was removed from steam, you could probably sell gift copies for, like, .75 cents.

I haven't played it yet, but I got it ~8.50 months back on Origin. Paying $12 just for Steam integration seems whacked to me.
Same here got it for $8.49 last month and also got an EC coupon with it. It's on Origin and has the mission DLCs not the Weapon one but I honestly don't see why I would pay 12$ for a Steam version and some extra weapons to make it easier. I'm not a Steam purist so why pay more for it..

Hey Tony, since it won't be an EC item you should make it something like 9$ instead of just price matching.. your "Complete" does miss the weapons DLC and that would probably get some people to go with Amazon instead of Steam. Just an idea :whistle2:

It's the whole artificial scarcity thing, just like Drabes getting all hot and bothered over some lame pixel multiplayer only game he has no intention of playing because the weird ass dev said he'd never put it on sale again.

Suddenly it's ZOMG IT MIGHT NOT BE ABLE TO GET IT AT THAT PRICE AGAIN and even though I really don't care and won't play it MUST BAI!!

the Steam version is Steam DRM + Origin DRM right?

From what I read it doesn't require Origin.. it has some EA login inside the game but it's not necessary to be able to play it. But I guess some actual Steam owner could tell you better since I only own the Origin one and I'm telling you what I found out while looking for that same info.

I doubt it. It wasn't even EA before. And every EA game I have on Steam does not require Origin. Actually, most games on Origin don't require Origin - just an EA account login. Despite not having a clue I'm going with 99% sure that's a no.

From what I read it doesn't require Origin.. it has some EA login inside the game but it's not necessary to be able to play it. But I guess some actual Steam owner could tell you better since I only own the Origin one and I'm telling you what I found out while looking for that same info.
It didn't require Origin in the past, I know that for sure. It did have a login, I'm fairly sure it was optional.

Thought about getting the weapons pack for Amalur, but mine is on Origin.  That's one advantage to having it on Steam is when the main game goes on sale, so too does the DLC.  :(

It's the whole artificial scarcity thing, just like Drabes getting all hot and bothered over some lame pixel multiplayer only game he has no intention of playing because the weird ass dev said he'd never put it on sale again.

Suddenly it's ZOMG IT MIGHT NOT BE ABLE TO GET IT AT THAT PRICE AGAIN and even though I really don't care and won't play it MUST BAI!!
I have a sickness

Name one game that stacks steam and origin drm.
There's game's that stack Steam with an EA login which I guess some people could consider a form of DRM. *shrug*

I know some Bioware stuff does this, Sims (optionally), Burnout Paradise asked me for a login and once I did discovered that I owned the DLC tied to my Origin account etc.

It's not exactly harsh DRM so I guess it depends on how sticklery you are about it and how much you care about additional logins etc, which lots of games do, not just EA.

There's game's that stack Steam with an EA login which I guess some people could consider a form of DRM. *shrug*

I know some Bioware stuff does this, Sims (optionally), Burnout Paradise asked me for a login and once I did discovered that I owned the DLC tied to my Origin account etc.

It's not exactly harsh DRM so I guess it depends on how sticklery you are about it and how much you care about additional logins etc, which lots of games do, not just EA.
so does it mean that .. God forbid.. if EA went out of business, I can't sign in EA --> I can't play that particular Steam game?!!?

so does it mean that .. God forbid.. if EA went out of business, I can't sign in EA --> I can't play that particular Steam game?!!?
I thought it was optional. It might need to phone home for the DLC like some of the Bioware stuff but even then there are ways around it if you know where to look.

Also I think God would go out of business before EA would.

Anyway I'm tired of talking about this. This thread has been straight Amalur for the last 90 minutes and it's not even an Amazon sale. :shame:

The BP / NFS logins are for the social features and not part of the DRM at all. You can choose not to log in and play and beat the game.

I'm not sure, but it feels like someone's just trolling at this point.

The BP / NFS logins are for the social features and not part of the DRM at all. You can choose not to log in and play and beat the game.
I thought you can't get the DLC on Steam without logging in though? They don't sell it there but then when I logged into my EA account on the Steam version of BP a message popped up that I now have the DLC.

I thought you can't get the DLC on Steam without logging in though? They don't sell it there but then when I logged into my EA account on the Steam version of BP a message popped up that I now have the DLC.
Yeah, I suppose. But that's really an artifact of the DLC's re-release... originally the DLC was only available through the in-game store and just saved to your save file. You didn't need to login (to the store) after buying it. I assume it still works the same way.

Yeah, I suppose. But that's really an artifact of the DLC's re-release... originally the DLC was only available through the in-game store and just saved to your save file. You didn't need to login (to the store) after buying it. I assume it still works the same way.
I haven't checked with BP but I know with some Bioware stuff you don't need to login to an EA (used to be Bioware) account for the base but you do for the DLC. But then if you save your game with the DLC loaded then it forces you to login in order to be able to access that save. I remember this clearly because at one point the EA servers got Alzheimers when I was playing Dragon Age Origins and forgot I owned the DLC even though I bought the Ultimate Edition and it wouldn't load my saves. :twoguns:
I'm not sure, but it feels like someone's just trolling at this point.
All this talk about EA and DRM and !DRM is starting to make me feel like MysterD and it's giving me a headache. :headache:

All this talk about EA and DRM and !DRM is starting to make me feel like MysterD and it's giving me a headache. :headache:
Agreed. Let's leave it to the DRM weenies. (I was simply pointing out that there was no stacking combination of origin+steam.)

I'm not replying to any further replies on this matter.

In other news.
Metro: Lost Light being on February's PS+ free game list means that if you're after it and use PS+ your options just got a lot cheaper. Remember Me, and Payday 2 (there's a two?) also in there for the PS3.

But really, story is it seems BioShock Infinite is getting a worthy freebie successor.

No it doesn't install Origin, nor do you even need an EA account. It pops up a box for you to log in, but you can just press esc, and it won't bother you again.

No, but you're missing the obvious; if EA went out of business, would any of us really want to go on living?
I can respond to that, but I am afraid EA will assassinate me

In other news.
Metro: Lost Light being on February's PS+ free game list means that if you're after it and use PS+ your options just got a lot cheaper. Remember Me, and Payday 2 (there's a two?) also in there for the PS3.

But really, story is it seems BioShock Infinite is getting a worthy freebie successor.
Which (of course) makes me semi-regret getting Remember Me around Christmas - you know, since didn't start it yet. On the other hand, I am sure it looks/runs better on PC anyway.

Payday 2, however, I am pretty excited about. I've heard good things, don't own it, and prefer playing games with a gamepad (because I do.. okay?) so that seems like something I will actually get some play out of. Seems like a lot of the PS+ freebies I've "bought" lately I already own on steam or don't care that much about, so I am pretty happy with this announcement.

Why do people always bring up "I like to play on a gamepad" these days? It's not 1990. Almost every game that comes out that isn't like an RTS lets you play on a gamepad.

I hate when people say "I like to play on a keyboard/mouse". Almost every game that comes out lets you play on a KB/M. Why do people do this? Jeez.

I think ppl meant to say "native, full gamepad support" rather than tinkering with custom keybinding
But....most games don't make you do that? I've never had to do that with any game that's come out in a long time.

I'm just curious why someone would use that as a positive console thing when it's not really a point of contention anymore. If you want to play a game with a gamepad, it works out of the box for 90 percent of games these days, including Payday 2, the game being talked about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back