Amazon: Ps3 fighting stick (Hori) 33.99

heyheyhey11

CAGiversary!
41PSbRpIa0L._SL160_AA115_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/PS3-Fighting-..._2?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1257208154&sr=1-2

this one normally priced at 50 bucks is a bit smaller and cheaper quality than your SF tournament edition.

34 bucks is still great price and this can play ps2 games unlike the newly released SF stick from madcatz.

If I weren't trying to hold back for the HRAP V I'd be grabbing another one of these. They aren't necessarily easy to mod, but they are modable with some work.
BILD0196.jpg

This remains the only PS3 stick with PS2 compatibility. With some soldering skills it's easy to upgrade to a very high quality stick.

[quote name='a wolf at fullmoon']This remains the only PS3 stick with PS2 compatibility. With some soldering skills it's easy to upgrade to a very high quality stick.[/QUOTE]

I think you're thinking of the HRAP3, not the Fighting Stick 3 :lol: Both this and the HRAP3 have PS2 compatibility on the PS3 though.

This stick is actually very good, better than the Madcatz SF4 SE Stick. It's not tournament good, but it's great for just regular home use with buddies and online. Definitely pick this up if you're in the market for an affordable quality stick.

[quote name='phantomer']is this same as tekken6 bundle stick, better, or worse?[/QUOTE]
Better. It's very similar but without fear of random disconnect, more weight, and PS2 backwards compatibility.

[quote name='a wolf at fullmoon']This remains the only PS3 stick with PS2 compatibility. With some soldering skills it's easy to upgrade to a very high quality stick.[/QUOTE]

it is not the only one with ps2 compatibilty, i bought another one from mayflash that is ps2/pc and ps3 compatible:

http://www.mayflash.com/pc/pc042/pc042.htm

I am looking for a stick for the 360 that is not expensive

i hate how the joy stick covers the most important part of the picture on both of the ones on the left. KOF looks good clear buttons is the way to go.
Oh yea nice price on the Hori plus ps2 compatibility

This has been this price for awhile now. Ive been looking at alot of sticks latley. Im glad to hear they are usable, I was iffy at that low of a price. After I aquire a HRAP3 for myself I plan on getting this for my buddie when he comes over.

I have one of these baby. To be quiet honest it works wonderful even without modding. The stock buttons and JFL are pretty decent. The only mod I have done on it is switch to a sanwa octagon gate since I don't like square gate. I bought this for almost $70 awhile back in the SF4 hype when every single fightstick was sold out. Been thinking about dual modding this but can't find a tutorial on how since PS3 -> Xbox 360 a bit more complecated to do.

[quote name='luan87us']I have one of these baby. To be quiet honest it works wonderful even without modding. The stock buttons and JFL are pretty decent. The only mod I have done on it is switch to a sanwa octagon gate since I don't like square gate. I bought this for almost $70 awhile back in the SF4 hype when every single fightstick was sold out. Been thinking about dual modding this but can't find a tutorial on how since PS3 -> Xbox 360 a bit more complecated to do.[/QUOTE]
This doesn't come with a JLF.

Also, if you get the right PCB it's not really that hard to dual mod. Connect the signals to the corresponding buttons, connect the groudns, and the 5+ and Ground of the USB. Then you connect the Data + and - to a DPDT switch.
Theoreticpositions.jpg

(Not all of those steps have been completed in this pic)

BILD0218.jpg

This was the first stick I modded. Use these threads for assistance.

http://forums.shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=136372
http://forums.shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=146124

The difficulty in modding this stick is desoldering the buttons from the PCB and grinding the metal button holes to allow arcade buttons to fit. But as everyone says, it's doable.

Also, the Tekken 6 stick is quite good, on 360 at least.

Is there a way to mod this so that it's heavy like the TE or even heavier? Is there space in the casing to put heavy blocks of metal or something? Also would that be safe as I'd be afraid it's conductive or something.

[quote name='jling84']Is there a way to mod this so that it's heavy like the TE or even heavier? Is there space in the casing to put heavy blocks of metal or something? Also would that be safe as I'd be afraid it's conductive or something.[/QUOTE]

If you willing to get a chtulu board then there will be plenty of space lol. If you're want to keep the original board I say there some spaces around the corners. There also a huge hollow cylinder thing near the button that they used to wrap the wires on too.

@ Ragnorok64:
What xbox 360 PCB did you use? I was planning to use the official wired controller but I want to have LT and RT functions as well for XBLA games. I have heard I need some resistors for this. And you plan to have 2 usb cable? And what is the little switch in the 2nd picture?

dont no crap about moding-so im guessing if i cant find a youtube video on this n it seems doable for me ill be keeping it as is---

so my question is this is it a good/decent stick on its own ?

[quote name='youenvy']dont no crap about moding-so im guessing if i cant find a youtube video on this n it seems doable for me ill be keeping it as is---

so my question is this is it a good/decent stick on its own ?[/QUOTE]

Yes hori doesn't make bad sticks.

Any guides to making custom art for the FS3? I searched Shoryuken and only found some thread on custom art templates and custom art made by the board members. I'm looking for some instructions on how to make it after you design the art and how to put it on the stick (i.e. go to Kinkos print and then what?)

[quote name='CaoPi']I did not like the button lay out the buttons feel really cheap also, this stick was given a C ranking[/QUOTE]

Felt the same way thinking of modding mine.

[quote name='jling84']Is there a way to mod this so that it's heavy like the TE or even heavier? Is there space in the casing to put heavy blocks of metal or something? Also would that be safe as I'd be afraid it's conductive or something.[/QUOTE]

I tried to figure this one out myself for awhile, , the complete lack of space in the case though just made it too hard to fit anything of real weight in there. One guy on Shoryuken put BB's in which would probably be the easiest thing to do , just need to fill some small tubes with them and tape them down. If you do manage to find some metal blocks to throw in just triple wrap them in electrical tape so nothing shorts out.

Sometimes it's best to just accept that you bought a cheap stick and live with it. If you want a heavy stick, the deluxe Horis and the TE stick are available, for much greater cost of course.
I still recommend replacing the buttons though.

[quote name='jling84']Is there a way to mod this so that it's heavy like the TE or even heavier? Is there space in the casing to put heavy blocks of metal or something? Also would that be safe as I'd be afraid it's conductive or something.[/QUOTE] Go to your local Wal-Mart. Go to the photo center and ask them for their extra film canisters. They just send them back for recycling so they should give you some for free. Swing by sporting goods and pick up a bottle of BB's for like $6. Fill the film containers with BBs, tape them up, and put them in the stick where ever they fit.
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r158/Ragnorok64/BILD0206-1.jpg?t=1257399087
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r158/Ragnorok64/BILD0205.jpg?t=1257399115

[quote name='luan87us']...@ Ragnorok64:
What xbox 360 PCB did you use? I was planning to use the official wired controller but I want to have LT and RT functions as well for XBLA games. I have heard I need some resistors for this. And you plan to have 2 usb cable? And what is the little switch in the 2nd picture?[/QUOTE]
I used a PCB from a Madcatz Arcade Gamestick.
1163710343.jpg

The PCB is common ground and pretty easy to work with. Getting your hands on these sticks may be a challenge.

[quote name='jling84']Any guides to making custom art for the FS3? I searched Shoryuken and only found some thread on custom art templates and custom art made by the board members. I'm looking for some instructions on how to make it after you design the art and how to put it on the stick (i.e. go to Kinkos print and then what?)[/QUOTE]
There should be a downloadable Template in that thread. For printing, you can go to someone like Staples or Kinkos and get it printed out and laminated. Make sure to disable any of the layers that have the buttons or border on them. Staples and Kinkos should have an adhesive backed lamination material that you can get it printed on so you just peel it off. Stick it on, and trim the art.

Alternatively you could have any random local print shop print it off and laminate it regularly, then use 3M spay on adhesive to glue it down. That's what I did with the Chun-li Stick.

[quote name='Ragnorok64']Go to your local Wal-Mart. Go to the photo center and ask them for their extra film canisters. They just send them back for recycling so they should give you some for free. Swing by sporting goods and pick up a bottle of BB's for like $6. Fill the film containers with BBs, tape them up, and put them in the stick where ever they fit.
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r158/Ragnorok64/BILD0206-1.jpg?t=1257399087
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r158/Ragnorok64/BILD0205.jpg?t=1257399115

There should be a downloadable Template in that thread. For printing, you can go to someone like Staples or Kinkos and get it printed out and laminated. Make sure to disable any of the layers that have the buttons or border on them. Staples and Kinkos should have an adhesive backed lamination material that you can get it printed on so you just peel it off. Stick it on, and trim the art.

Alternatively you could have any random local print shop print it off and laminate it regularly, then use 3M spay on adhesive to glue it down. That's what I did with the Chun-li Stick.[/QUOTE]

Wow! Thanks for the awesome reply. I like the canisters idea as they are already plastic so I won't have to really wrap that up much with electrical tape. I think I'll go with the spray adhesive method as it sounds cheaper to do. Thanks again!

[quote name='CaoPi']I did not like the button lay out the buttons feel really cheap also, this stick was given a C ranking[/QUOTE]

[quote name='bjstucker']Felt the same way thinking of modding mine.[/QUOTE]
*sigh*

Show me a better sub-35 dollar pre-made stick. Yep, I guessed correctly.

C ranking by who? Sure it's not as good as my modded HRAP3, but it's still good, especially at that price.

Regarding reviews, here's another one, http://gear.ign.com/articles/766/766069p2.html

Again, if you're in a market for a stick and don't wanna shell out $100+ for one, get this. You get what you pay for, and at this price, you cannot beat it.

[quote name='salazarmark']*sigh*

C ranking by who? Sure it's not as good as my modded HRAP3, but it's still good, especially at that price.

Regarding reviews, here's another one, http://gear.ign.com/articles/766/766069p2.html

Again, if you're in a market for a stick and don't wanna shell out $100+ for one, get this. You get what you pay for, and at this price, you cannot beat it.[/QUOTE]

there's a thread on here about stick ratings, you obviously have no damn clue

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=192322

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='salazarmark']*sigh*

Again, if you're in a market for a stick and don't wanna shell out $100+ for one, get this. You get what you pay for, and at this price, you cannot beat it.[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't trust that IGN review, lol. You do indeed get what you pay for though. ;) If you plan to play casually, then by all means, buy this stick. Cheapest way to get one if you prefer using a stick to play.

I ordered one last week, before this thread was up, and it arrived today. I opened it up after work so I haven't had time to try it out. I'll try it out after school with my friends on MVC2 and SF4.

For $33 this stick is the best you can find out there. It used to MSRP for $99.99 a few years ago when it first released. Hori is well known in arcade stick business. Even their stock parts are made better than most others. The only differences this stick has versus the a stock HRAP is the joystick which is not sanwa, and lighter( can easily be fix). I have had this stick since SF4 came out (bought from a member here) I love it. I haven't switch out the buttons or the joystick at all (except for the octagon gate replacement). The buttons are fairly sensitive (though might not be comparable to that of sanwa or seimitsu). The joystick actually use Cherry switches, though I wish the shaft could have been a bit taller, sometime I feel like it's a bit too short for me. I hear a lots of people complains about the lay out of the buttons (which is weir because it has R2 and L2 first) but do you even use R2 and L2 in most fighting games? And shouldn't most fighting games have an option where you can change your buttons settings which can easily fix this problem? $33 for a this with this kind of quality is a steal. And it also make a cheap stick to be mod as well.

That is a MarkMan(aka stick Goddess) link of most sticks graded by quality, parts, mod-ability, etc.
http://sdtekken.com/tech-area/arcade-sticks/arcade-stick-ranking/

$33 is a great deal for this stick, if the Madcatz SE wasn't $40 at Fry's this past week, I would say it was an even better deal. This stick is for casual fighter players. If you love fighting games than you will do one of 2 things. You either get a better stick or mod this stick.

I have no experience with this stick but I'm guessing that it has the similar feel to a Hori EX2.

bread's done
Back