Amazon reportedly looking to go B&M

If they do start stores, it's going to be Battle Central, because Walmart tries to crush as many companies as they can!:hot:

I don't get how this could work... Amazon (and most online) retailers are cheaper because they have significantly less overhead due to the fact they're an online business. B&M locations don't have that same benefit... and if they have B&M locations in states where they currently don't collect taxes (even if it it's one single store), they would have to collect taxes for online sales in those states. Not a huge deal since this is bound to happen for all online transactions sooner or later, but still...

Though I could see them using their B&M locations are mini-warehouses so it could make their product distribution even faster.

[quote name='greenday0066']wouldnt they have to start charging tax then?... :([/QUOTE]

Only in Washington. That is where the article says they are going to test out the stores.

[quote name='TheBigAndy']Only in Washington. That is where the article says they are going to test out the stores.[/QUOTE]
that sucks.. they should test it out in Oregon first then ;) lol

Saw this while flipping through channels. I think what was said on a couple of the business channels sounds right for a test store(small stores that only sell their big ticket items).

If they roll it out nationwide, that would suck from a sales tax perspective. I order from Amazon so much now that I tend to forget about sales tax when I order from other sites.

Knowledgeable, helpful employees would be the key here. They have the brand name and Amazon is just as big of a household name as Walmart. If they can somehow keep the prices lower than Best Buy (for electronics) and offer up knowledgeable, helpful employees and CS reps that actually care then they have a recipe to crush the other retailers.

They could also offer up unique items not sold anywhere else, amazon has a ton of unique food items and other items not typically sold in retail stores which could help drive customers to the stores.

Yeah, the article makes it sound like they're going to open an Apple Store / Microsoft Store / Sony Store, the kind in malls that aren't very big. And if it just focuses on Amazon made products like the Kindle series of e-readers and tablets, it won't be very big. But it definitely would open up the sales tax door for online orders so they'd have to weigh their options carefully. Maybe they should just push for bigger sales displays in Best Buy / TRU / Target for the Kindle.

[quote name='Vinny']I don't get how this could work... Amazon (and most online) retailers are cheaper because they have significantly less overhead due to the fact they're an online business. B&M locations don't have that same benefit... and if they have B&M locations in states where they currently don't collect taxes (even if it it's one single store), they would have to collect taxes for online sales in those states. Not a huge deal since this is bound to happen for all online transactions sooner or later, but still...

Though I could see them using their B&M locations are mini-warehouses so it could make their product distribution even faster.[/QUOTE]

Couldn't have said it better myself :applause:

They will likely start with the west coast and New York so tax shouldn't be a problem. They are already charing tax in Washington, New York, and soon California.

bread's done
Back