Amazon resealing games? or normal for ps3

Theenternal

CAGiversary!
Feedback
9 (100%)
I just ordered my first batch of ps3 games, I don't have my own ps3 yet but can use my roommates. And my Final Fantasy XIII is sealed via shrink wrap., It's from Amazon direct, not an affiliate store, and was supposed to be new.

Do some PS3 games come like this normally? Is this normal for Amazon? Can't ask my roommate she has her 1000.00 Japanese release day ps3 with a few games that her dad bought for her that I only use.

Hmm, thats good and bad... easier to open but easier to trick people :( and gamestop will have no problems resealing shelf copies.

Maybe it's a NorAm game, since I remember there being a thread about how games taken in for trade via Amazon's program(run by NorAm) were being re-sealed and sold as new.

I do remember seeing some newer PS3 games being shrinkwrapped. Sometimes, it's because of store bonuses that are included with the game (so they have to open it up, insert the DLC code card, then reseal it).

i actually just got a ps3 and some games from amazon, and all of them had...i guess kind of a fold over wrapping (i don't really know how to explain it), but it was just the plastic wrap. i know with xbox 360 games theres that additional security sticker they put on the case that needs to be cut/peeled off before opening it. do ps3 games not do something similar?

The non-Y sealed games should have a row, or rows, of small vent holes. Usually, reseals don't have the holes.

[quote name='y2jasper']i actually just got a ps3 and some games from amazon, and all of them had...i guess kind of a fold over wrapping (i don't really know how to explain it), but it was just the plastic wrap. i know with xbox 360 games theres that additional security sticker they put on the case that needs to be cut/peeled off before opening it. do ps3 games not do something similar?[/QUOTE]

Nope, no sticker for the ps3 games(I hope they never do this). I do occasionally get one with the shrink wrap, but I don't think they're used as a lot of the games I get are day one buys so they're definitely not used.

[quote name='Mixer236']Nope, no sticker for the ps3 games(I hope they never do this). I do occasionally get one with the shrink wrap, but I don't think they're used as a lot of the games I get are day one buys so they're definitely not used.[/QUOTE]
I kind of hope they would put that additional sticker on the PS3 games as I've bought several 'new' PS3 games that had the plastic sliced to get the game out. It sure would beat the old clear packing tape mummification method I've seen several stores utilize to cut down on theft.:whistle2:#:bomb:

[quote name='Mixer236']Nope, no sticker for the ps3 games(I hope they never do this). I do occasionally get one with the shrink wrap, but I don't think they're used as a lot of the games I get are day one buys so they're definitely not used.[/QUOTE]

ah ok thanks. just curious, why would you be so against having a security sticker? i mean it only takes an extra few seconds to peel off, and gives an added level of security i suppose. if i remember correctly didn't ps2 games used to have stickers on the top of the case too?

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I kind of hope they would put that additional sticker on the PS3 games as I've bought several 'new' PS3 games that had the plastic sliced to get the game out. It sure would beat the old clear packing tape mummification method I've seen several stores utilize to cut down on theft.:whistle2:#:bomb:[/QUOTE]

you know i think im going to go home and open all my new ps3 games i got from black friday just to make sure there really there. someone else posted one of their amazon games had been sliced through and stolen...

Luckily for me I was in a store about to buy the game(s) and I did the 'rattle' test and I noticed no rattle, so I bought the game and opened it on the spot and was immediately refunded.

But I know some folks wait MONTHS before opening new games and by then the return period has lapsed so then they're SOL.

The rattle test isn't always accurate though and it could just be a CD-R/DVD-R in there as some scammers/thieves replace the real game with a blank CD/DVD.:roll:

[quote name='y2jasper']ah ok thanks. just curious, why would you be so against having a security sticker? i mean it only takes an extra few seconds to peel off, and gives an added level of security i suppose. if i remember correctly didn't ps2 games used to have stickers on the top of the case too?[/QUOTE]

It's not the extra few second it takes off that bothers me, I'm usually able to get it off without much trouble. What bothers me is the residue that is sometimes left behind. Oh, and I hate is when the sticker is on the side of the case - so that when you start to pick it off you sometimes damage the actual plastic sheet that's supposed to be a part of the case to begin with. Could be me, but I hate it when those things happen.

I also can't stand it when they have the sticker at the top of a blu ray case and half the logo gets taken off because of the stupid sticker overlapping it! :bomb:

I think some PS2 games had the sticker. Mostly if they weren't behind a glass case... Though I could be wrong.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Luckily for me I was in a store about to buy the game(s) and I did the 'rattle' test and I noticed no rattle, so I bought the game and opened it on the spot and was immediately refunded.

But I know some folks wait MONTHS before opening new games and by then the return period has lapsed so then they're SOL.

The rattle test isn't always accurate though and it could just be a CD-R/DVD-R in there as some scammers/thieves replace the real game with a blank CD/DVD.:roll:[/QUOTE]

This is true, I did it to a friend once as a joke with the words "gotcha bitch" written on the CD-R. Good times. :lol:

[quote name='Mixer236']I think some PS2 games had the sticker. Mostly if they weren't behind a glass case... Though I could be wrong.[/QUOTE]

PS2 games had a security sticker on the top until around 2005-2006 IIRC.

I'm extremely picky about buying only new games, and I'm the kind of lunatic who picks a copy from the back of the rack, somehow thinking that will make my copy "better".

Whenever I get a game in the mail that has odd seal wrapper, I open it up, look at the disc, case and manual, and if everything looks mint - I stop caring.

[quote name='SirMikael']I'm extremely picky about buying only new games, and I'm the kind of lunatic who picks a copy from the back of the rack, somehow thinking that will make my copy "better".

Whenever I get a game in the mail that has odd seal wrapper, I open it up, look at the disc, case and manual, and if everything looks mint - I stop caring.[/QUOTE]

I do the same thing! I do that with everything, be it a game or food or whatever... I never take the first one I see on the shelf.

[quote name='Mixer236']It's not the extra few second it takes off that bothers me, I'm usually able to get it off without much trouble. What bothers me is the residue that is sometimes left behind. Oh, and I hate is when the sticker is on the side of the case - so that when you start to pick it off you sometimes damage the actual plastic sheet that's supposed to be a part of the case to begin with. Could be me, but I hate it when those things happen.

I also can't stand it when they have the sticker at the top of a blu ray case and half the logo gets taken off because of the stupid sticker overlapping it! :bomb:

I think some PS2 games had the sticker. Mostly if they weren't behind a glass case... Though I could be wrong.[/QUOTE]
With those security stickers all you need to do to get them off cleanly is slice by the opening of the case(like the thieves do) and then take the halves off SLOWLY.

If it leaves some residue, just use the sticker on the residue, placing it firmly on the residue and then peeling it off quickly(kind of like waxing hair really;)). It should remove most(if not all) residue in just a couple of tries and best of all there's no smell from Goo Gone left over.

i don't know, personally i just pull the sticker off like you normally would and have never noticed any residue or other negative results.

I've bought games on release day that were shrink wrapped. Sometimes they're just made like that, it doesn't mean it's used.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']With those security stickers all you need to do to get them off cleanly is slice by the opening of the case(like the thieves do) and then take the halves off SLOWLY.

If it leaves some residue, just use the sticker on the residue, placing it firmly on the residue and then peeling it off quickly(kind of like waxing hair really;)). It should remove most(if not all) residue in just a couple of tries and best of all there's no smell from Goo Gone left over.[/QUOTE]

Hmm... Never heard of doing that to get the residue off, I'll have to try it next time. Thanks

[quote name='Mixer236']Hmm... Never heard of doing that to get the residue off, I'll have to try it next time. Thanks[/QUOTE]
It works pretty well. If that doesn't work though, try a small piece of clear packing tape with the same method as that should take off any remaining residue.:D

some ps3 games have that cheap resealed looking shrink wrap, while most ps3, xbox, and wii games have the standard good plastic shrink wrap with the "y-fold".

i think it depends on the game you get that has the cheap looking shrink wrap. it always makes me wonder if it is a reseal when i get those.

when i pre-ordered ssf4 for ps3 and got it on release day, it came with that cheap shrink wrap. i thought it was a reseal, but not possible because the game was just released and i got it on day 1, unless amazon employees decided to play it early and reseal it. i went to some retail stores and noticed all the ssf4 ps3 copies had this cheap shrink wrap.

i also noticed that a majority of ps3 re5 gold has the cheap shrink wrap. on occasion you see the normal good plastic shrink wrap for ps3 re5 gold, but that is somewhat of a rare sight to behold. i think with re5, the local sony reps opened the regular re5 and put the gold disc and coverart in. probably just left the manual alone (not sure if there is a difference in standard and gold re5 manual) and resealed the game.

i also preordered madden 11 for xbox and got it on day 1, but it came with the cheap shrink wrap. this is very odd to me as i never see any xbox games in the cheap shrink wrap and all other madden 11 xbox versions ive seen come with the good plastic shrink wrap.

funny i see this thread because I noticed my copy of Ace Attorney: Miles Edgeworth from Black Friday was shrink wrapped and thought that was kind of strange. Since most DS games have the folded wrap. Will have to open it later after work to check.

[quote name='adriley313']funny i see this thread because I noticed my copy of Ace Attorney: Miles Edgeworth from Black Friday was shrink wrapped and thought that was kind of strange. Since most DS games have the folded wrap. Will have to open it later after work to check.[/QUOTE]

I get a lot of DS games with the shrink wrap. It think it's even more common on the DS than it is on the PS3.

bread's done
Back