Amazon return policy

agentorange14

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
I recently returned an unopened ps3 game to amazon and was charged a 50% restocking fee. I got the money back for not being aware of the policy but after reading the policy I'm a little confused. They were aware the game was unopened and mint but still tried to charge me. Is it their policy to charge a restocking fee on almost everything like was told to me and if so does anyone know where on amazons site this is listed because this isn't it.....

"A full refund will be issued for new, unopened items sold and fulfilled by Amazon.com and returned within 30 days of delivery. The following conditions and exceptions apply, as do those listed on the Product Specific Policies pages.
Partial refunds:
  • Any opened computer returned within 30 days of delivery: 85% of item's price.
  • Any unopened media item or non-media item in original condition that is returned more than 30 days after delivery: 80% of item's price.
  • Any book that has obvious signs of use: 50% of item's price.
  • Any CD, DVD, VHS tape, software, video game, cassette tape, or vinyl record that has been opened (taken out of its plastic wrap): 50% of item's price.
  • Any item that is not in its original condition, is damaged, or is missing parts for reasons not due to our error: up to 50% of item's price."

I've returned several unopened games to Amazon without a problem. Contact customer service and see what happened. It could very well have been an innocent mistake.

[quote name='saturnotaku']I've returned several unopened games to Amazon without a problem. Contact customer service and see what happened. It could very well have been an innocent mistake.[/QUOTE]

yeah seems to be a lazy or disgruntled employee, or even just a pure simple mistake. i have NEVER had any problems with amazon, ever. good luck

They refunded the difference but told me in the future I'll know and there will be a restocking fee. Just thought I'd inform those that might have this happen to them in the future and see if anyone else has had this problem.

[quote name='agentorange14']They refunded the difference but told me in the future I'll know and there will be a restocking fee. Just thought I'd inform those that might have this happen to them in the future and see if anyone else has had this problem.[/QUOTE]I've returned numerous items to Amazon and never been charged a restocking fee.

If the item is unopened, there's no reason to pay a restocking fee on it. None at all. It's stated clearly in their return policy that they don't charge one.

I'd call up Amazon and ask them to explain why you were charged a restocking fee, and why you're supposedly going to get a restocking fee for future items, when it doesn't state that you should be charged on in the first place.

50% restocking fee is highway robbery. For that you sell it on ebay and only loose ~17% on your purchase. Without wrapping, you could still sell it as new or "unplayed" even if you popped it in only once unless you savagely destroyed the box. Set the price to $49.99 and watch the bids hit you. I have sold games as used for around $50 a week or two after release.

Obviously you might loose a little more money if you paid tax and shipping.

[quote name='ninjikiran']50% restocking fee is highway robbery. For that you sell it on ebay and only loose ~17% on your purchase. Without wrapping, you could still sell it as new or "unplayed" even if you popped it in only once unless you savagely destroyed the box. Set the price to $49.99 and watch the bids hit you. I have sold games as used for around $50 a week or two after release.

Obviously you might loose a little more money if you paid tax and shipping.[/QUOTE]

Well, he shouldn't be too loose with the item description if he sells on eBay, or else he could potentially lose a lot of money.

Was it 100% Amazon and not 'fulfilled by Amazon' or a Marketplace seller? Was it outside the 30 days?

If yes to both, I'd just put it up on human error. They probably returned the item and checked the wrong box or something.

[quote name='saturnotaku']Well, he shouldn't be too loose with the item description if he sells on eBay, or else he could potentially lose a lot of money.[/QUOTE]

Doesn't have to be, it is all the truth, unwrapped in mint condition unplayed. If you popped it in once or twice there isn't going to be any scratches on it. If you do get a dent on the disc then unfortunately you can't white lie. It is just a little trick since whether you say played once or not played at all the condition of the game is basically the same so it hurts no one and gives your auction more viability.

Sold by amazon and within the 30 return policy.

It must have been human error because when I mentioned it was unopened they let me slide for not being familiar with the return policy.lol. I then read him the return policy and asked if this applied to unopened merch in the future and he said yes at least 50%. I think I actually called it highway robbery to him but he said it wasn't amazons fault and refused to tell me who was at fault so I could talk to them about it.

I also told him at that price I wanted it back but he said no go. lol

Hmmm try and charge me a restocking fee of 50% and guess what is going to happen next time I want to return something...

I break the game case and say I received it damaged and act very unhappy with their crappy packaging and so on

bread's done
Back