Amazon - Samurai Champloo BD - $39

Countdown to Kirin Lemon coming in here and telling you're retarded for wanting this over the standard DVD version...

3... 2... 1...

[Hint: You are not retarded... this is a significant upgrade over the DVDs. Good find, OP]

after watching amazon's trailer, i decided to take the plunge, it was 42.45 after tax, which is a bit more than i hoped, but if i dont like it im sure i'll be able to flip it and lose no more than $5, making it a standard rental.

i hope i like it, im not into anime and havent really watched any, but the hiphop connection made me interested. (i enjoyed Afro Samurai)

i have no doubt the BD will look better overall on my big 1080p screen than the dvds, even if i play them from a toshiba HDDVD player.

[quote name='zenintrude']Countdown to Kirin Lemon coming in here and telling you're retarded for wanting this over the standard DVD version...

3... 2... 1...

[Hint: You are not retarded... this is a significant upgrade over the DVDs. Good find, OP][/QUOTE]

I've heard this is just an upscaled version of the DVD. I own the box set (and, unfortunately I bought a bootleg DVD version too) so I'm curious what I'd gain from the blu-ray version. So if there are negatives, I'd like to hear about it. I agree with Killerfocus though... I'd be worried the price would drop more and I'd miss out.

[quote name='h0mi']I've heard this is just an upscaled version of the DVD. I own the box set (and, unfortunately I bought a bootleg DVD version too) so I'm curious what I'd gain from the blu-ray version. So if there are negatives, I'd like to hear about it. I agree with Killerfocus though... I'd be worried the price would drop more and I'd miss out.[/QUOTE]

The video as far as I can tell from screenshots and a few reviews ranges from mediocre to pretty damn bad. Excessive DNR was used removing both grain and detail. Since the animation was all done digitally any grain that exists was added intentionally to give it a certain look. What Funimation should have done was just upscaled it at a high bitrate and left it alone.

The audio however is a vast improvement over the DVD. The only reason I am even considering getting the set is because I don't have the original DVD set.

I will probably buy this since I was never able to complete my DVD set cause I have the first 4 DVDs. I got them on the cheap years ago so to get the Blu isn't a problem for me. I mainly watched this since its from the people that made Cowboy Bebop which I own the complete set of.

read the review yourself.
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Samurai-Champloo-The-Complete-Series-Blu-ray-Review/6686/

aside from all the hate mongering online, i think its obvious the general consensus is that the video isn't a major leap and definitely not the best BD has to offer. regardless of how it was achieved or looks, it looks better than your DVD set unconverted through any shelf player, if you have a medium/large+ 1080p tv to watch it on.

for me, i do not have the dvd set, and at 39$, i would much rather have the BD set (it is the future, after all) and my tv is a big 1080p, even a bad BD looks better than a DVD. (and i have a very good up-converting set up with a high end toshiba HDDVD player)

[quote name='postulio']for me, i do not have the dvd set, and at 39$, i would much rather have the BD set (it is the future, after all) and my tv is a big 1080p, even a bad BD looks better than a DVD. (and i have a very good up-converting set up with a high end toshiba HDDVD player)[/QUOTE]

And the fact that, if nothing else, you cut down the discs from 7 to 3, which to me (now that I'm filling up 6 foot shelves with movies) is an important thing.

Thanks for update guys. This was on my xmas list but the reviews turned me off. Between the price and review that says there is SOME improvement, i think i'll break down and pick them up.

I just wish my original box set with LE box was worth something like my Cowboy Bebop box set was. That may also have tanked though...

When gamestop had this on sale I got it price matched at bestbuy on blu ray for $24.99. Great deal and so worth it.

Thanks for the explanations. I think I will pick this up after all but I think I'll wait to see if it drops to $30 and jump on it then. Gamestop had it for $25? Wish the gamestops near me carried blu-rays.

[quote name='bizman316']When gamestop had this on sale I got it price matched at bestbuy on blu ray for $24.99. Great deal and so worth it.[/QUOTE]

Gamestop?!? Since when do they sell Blu Rays?!?!?

they dont, but i think they had like a really big stock of anime dvds/blurays that they clearanced a few weeks back. very few stores had them, and it was a first come first serve thing.

bread's done
Back