Amazon Short-Changes Black Friday Wii Customers

S

slimvinnieb86

Hey folks. First time post, long time lurker. I LOVE this website. It has helped me out a lot saving money over the past year. Anyway, I wanted to direct your attention to this:
http://digg.com/nintendo_wii/Amazon_com_Short_Changes_Black_Friday_Wii_Customers/

Essentially, on Friday at 12 a.m. PST, the lucky few who were able to get a Wii at Amazon were told on the page that the system included Wii Play, as well as 2 Wii Remotes and 2 nunchucks at the standard price of $249.99. However, Amazon has shipped the items with the standard Wii. I know... we should all be grateful that we were actually able to get a Wii. However, this is not what was advertised at the time of buying and this has a lot of people up in arms. The only option we have is to return the item for a refund. Amazon is claiming that they never wrote such a thing and it must have been a third-party retailer.

Sucks, doesn't it?

Anyway, just wanted to give a shout-out to CheapyD (if he reads this) and give him a belated congratulations on the birth of his son. That's really exciting!

Had a real bad customer service situation with them over some Zunes. The Rep was straight up rude to me about them not fulfilling the order. It is sad because Amazon has usually been aces with us

[quote name='62t']hmm i ordered wii from amazon on friday, but i wasnt paying attention. some saved the html?[/quote]

Yes. Some saved some screenshots. It explicitly states that the system includes 2 Wii remotes, 2 nunchuck controllers, Wii Sports and Wii Play. I was surprised when I ordered it and saw that, but hell, it was Black Friday. Anyway, looks like Amazon is saying we won't be getting anything unless we want a full refund.

I got the Wii last Tuesday but no extras and I didn't know about the extras during Black Friday promotion. I do saved the html in pdf. Amazon already removed the description as seen below:

Product Description
Includes one Nintendo Wii System, a total 2 Wii Remote controllers, 2 Wii Nunchuk controller, Wii Sports (5 Games
including boxing, tennis, baseball, golf, and bowling), - Wii Play (9 games including billiards, laser hockey, shooting range, find
mii, table tennis, tanks, fishing, charge, and more.Product Size:17 x 12 x 7inches.\0

I emailed to Amazon's Executive Customer Service today and hopefully I'll get the extras or giftcard for free. If it really a part of Black Friday deal then why Amazon screws up that much? I know its a huge loss due to misprint, typo or any errors. If I get the email from them stating that I have to return for refund then I'll filed the complaint to BBB reguarding to extra stuffings.

let me know what happens, i will email them too

hey send the saved html pdf to kotaku and other big gaming sites, if this can get some known attention, then maybe we can get what was supposed to be included in the BF Deal

[quote name='SuppaMan']let me know what happens, i will email them too

hey send the saved html pdf to kotaku and other big gaming sites, if this can get some known attention, then maybe we can get what was supposed to be included in the BF Deal[/QUOTE]

Okay, I'll send to kotaku right now!

all gamers, those who didnt even order one or are directly involved in this should stand behind those that are, why? it indirectly affects them, sends the message that amazon can do what they see fit (same goes for other businesses)

the gaming community is enormous, even the online more hardcore crowd (and hell a lot of people bitching and affected by this aren't even hardcore gamers), as a group we are very influential seeing as generally we can be tight nit at times, currently for income wise likely the largest spenders as a percentage on entertainment, and because of our age are targets for store/brand loyalty as we age therefore business now and avoidance from bad experiences is important

the big thing is we just need to have a group together and stick together (its not like getting up and going to protest outside, its pretty easy to just bitch and moan and complain and type and threaten the loss of business.....hell some do it regularly, and pretty much everyone bitches about something on the internet, why not take 2 mins to help a cause?)

It was clearly a mistake, most people didn't notice it. They all just ordered before reading it anyways, people want to take advantage of the mistake. Obviously they wouldn't sell a Wii... something they can't keep in stock w/ extras for the normal price. Black Friday or otherwise.

People you got your Wii with free ship and no sales tax for now. Stop your bitching. Be happy your order wasn't shit canned because of the mistake.

Amazon is allowing you to return it, if you are not happy.

Don't be slick deal bitches.

[quote name='Trenchalicious']It was clearly a mistake, most people didn't notice it. They all just ordered before reading it anyways, people want to take advantage of the mistake. Obviously they wouldn't sell a Wii... something they can't keep in stock w/ extras for the normal price. Black Friday or otherwise.

People you got your Wii with free ship and no sales tax for now. Stop your bitching. Be happy your order wasn't shit canned because of the mistake.

Don't be slick deal bitches.[/quote]

Yes they are not "screwing" anyone. It's obvious by the price offered they were selling the CONSOLE ONLY and the description was an error. I admit I did e-mail their customer service just to see what would happen. I got a cookie cutter response saying they were sorry items were missing and they would normally ship a replacement but they are out of stock so I could return it (I guess they assume I was talking about console components and not extras). I'm not going to be a deal bitch and push it any further.

[quote name='Trenchalicious']It was clearly a mistake, most people didn't notice it. They all just ordered before reading it anyways, people want to take advantage of the mistake. Obviously they wouldn't sell a Wii... something they can't keep in stock w/ extras for the normal price. Black Friday or otherwise.

Don't be slick deal bitches.[/QUOTE]

Being on BF it is not an obvious mistake. They need to honor what they list

I say people shouldn't complain, they got a Wii so they should be happy. Amazon.com has a lot of great deals and is cheaper than most places so I think we should let them have a mistake everyone now and then.

Still kinda crappy that they'd list it and not honor it.
If that's the case why not just make up crazy crap every week but not actually let it go for that price?

Don't be slick deal bitches.[/quote]
Mistake or not, it's called business ethics. When a company sells an item, they are promising the purchasers the item as described. Consider it a contract. Whether priced accordingly or not, the description specifically stated that the item would come with the aforementioned accessories. As far as I'm concerned, any departure from this is a violation of contract (which is why I've never agreed with Amazon's price policy to begin with - If you make the mistake of mispricing an item, don't penalize the customers).

Bottom line - Yes, people should be happy that they were able to purchase a Wii. But I can't overlook the error. If some of the customers purchased the item expecting that they would receive the accessories, then that's what they deserve.

[quote name='mrlokievil']I say people shouldn't complain, they got a Wii so they should be happy. Amazon.com has a lot of great deals and is cheaper than most places so I think we should let them have a mistake everyone now and then.[/quote]
I don't think it would be such an issue if they came out and said they made a mistake. Rather, they tried to put the blame on third-party retailers, which have no baring whatsoever on what is posted there in the Amazon description. They claim that they never posted that to begin with and if it appeared, it was listed as a bundle from a third-party.

[quote name='Furashu']bait n switch![/QUOTE]

Not really. Someone put up the page for an old sale they had. Im sure if you email them about it they will do something to make it right. Amazon.com has always had really great customer service.

[quote name='musha666']Not really. Someone put up the page for an old sale they had. Im sure if you email them about it they will do something to make it right. Amazon.com has always had really great customer service.[/quote]
Actually, having spoken to them directly, they cannot do anything. I was told this via the phone and from their e-mail:

[quote name='Rick L from Amazon'] Hello from Amazon.com.

We appreciate the time you've taken to share your feedback with us. It's always important for us to hear how customers feel about all aspects of shopping at Amazon.com. Strong customer feedback like yours helps us continue to improve our store and the service we provide.
{BA230104}
Here are the details I mentioned during our conversation about Nintendo Wii bundles available on our website.. The Nintendo Wii bundle advertised and sold by Amazon.com includes the following:

- Sleek Wii console and stand
- Wii Sports
- Sensor bar
- AV cable
- Wii Remote
- One Nunchuk controller

This is the same bundle that was available during Amazon's Black Friday Sale. Third-party merchants selling on Amazon.com may offer different Nintendo Wii bundles that included additional accessories, such as two extra controllers and Wii Play. Those Nintendo Wii bundles are not offered or sold by Amazon.com, and we do not match prices or product bundles offered by third-party merchants.

We appreciate your understanding, and thank you for shopping at Amazon.com.

We always strive to provide a high level of service, and we would appreciate your feedback. Please let us know if we resolved your inquiry.[/quote]

[quote name='necrojustice']Still kinda crappy that they'd list it and not honor it.
If that's the case why not just make up crazy crap every week but not actually let it go for that price?[/quote]

Had this listing been for anything other than a Wii I might be inclined to agree. Even without listing the extras in the description these would have sold out anyway.

As I understand it they don't have to honor the deal if its a misprint anyway. They are offering full refunds for those who want it so I don't think there was any malicious intent to begin with.

I think the whole billg drama has made me hypersensitive to people with inflated senses of entitlement. I can understand being angry for not getting what you thought you were paying for but your choices in this matter are either:

1) Keep the Wii that you paid the going rate for...

or

2) Return the Wii for a full refund...

Either way you would be fully justified to complain and voice your displeasure with Amazon, never buy from them again and campaign for others to join your boycott. All of which are your rights as a consumer.

Some may think they have a third choice and demand what they feel they are owed but in this instance it just aint gonna happen...no matter how wrong some may feel it is.

Pick your battles people, if you have enough spare time and energy to spend fighting this one you should really take a step back and look at just how fortunate you are in the grand scheme of things.

[quote name='gstlouis']Bottom line - Yes, people should be happy that they were able to purchase a Wii. But I can't overlook the error. If some of the customers purchased the item expecting that they would receive the accessories, then that's what they deserve.[/quote]

Or their money back due to "breach of contact"...which Amazon is offering.

End of story.

[quote name='madnarg']
Pick your battles people, if you have enough spare time and energy to spend fighting this one you should really take a step back and look at just how fortunate you are in the grand scheme of things.[/quote]

Very true. I was merely looking for some sort of acknowledgement from them or some sort of compensation. But you make a valid point.

Check your state laws. There are 'bait and switch' laws that protect the consumer from this behavior. Even if the intent was not 'bait and switch' the end effect was. Incompitance does not protect one from the law.

There was really no bait and switch on this issue. The people didn't get overcharged, they got their Wii for retail, and are being offered a full refund if they want it. Now if Amazon had charged them for the extra items and didn't ship them then they would be wrong.

If people actually thought they were going to get a Wii and all of those extras for just the price of a Wii then it's their own fault for being so naive.

[quote name='mrlokievil']
If people actually thought they were going to get a Wii and all of those extras for just the price of a Wii then it's their own fault for being so naive.[/quote]

Is it unresponsible to expect Wii Play and an extra nunchuk controller though if that was listed? I mean, when I saw that, I didn't think twice because it wasn't like it was an extraordinary offer. But I understand completely what you are saying.

Where do you draw the line then folks? If they send you a wii with cords do you complain? No controlers at all? At what point do you stop being content and start voicing yourself.

Yeah yeah we got a wii, and we wont return it cause they're a hot item. Amazon is banking on this fact. That seems shady to me.

I say we all open the boxes then demand a refund. Or pick up a cheap used wii and return it :p? Nah wont stoop to amazons level.

[quote name='mrlokievil']If people actually thought they were going to get a Wii and all of those extras for just the price of a Wii then it's their own fault for being so naive.[/quote]

I wouldn't go that far...the fault is clearly with Amazon but they are offering a full refund which is all that should be expected.

[quote name='mrlokievil']There was really no bait and switch on this issue. The people didn't get overcharged, they got their Wii for retail, and are being offered a full refund if they want it. Now if Amazon had charged them for the extra items and didn't ship them then they would be wrong.

If people actually thought they were going to get a Wii and all of those extras for just the price of a Wii then it's their own fault for being so naive.[/quote]

What does the price have to do with it? Lots of places are offering holiday deals for wiis at 249.99. Jeez man.

http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/categorySpecial.do?catOid=-16621&cmSearchKeyword=wii

And as far as I know, some people did get the extra things. So they had a limited supply but failed to mention that.

[quote name='Reinland']Yeah yeah we got a wii, and we wont return it cause they're a hot item. Amazon is banking on this fact. That seems shady to me.[/quote]
Yeah, because they would have never sold them without this vile deception.

[quote name='Reinland'] I say we all open the boxes then demand a refund.[/quote]
They are offering one.

[quote name='Reinland']Or pick up a cheap used wii and return it ...[/quote]
And those can be found where?

My comment was a little harsh, I take it back. I have not seen anywhere selling a Wii bundle that includes extras for retail price.

I ordered a black friday Wii from Amazon, and I didn't even notice the "extras" that were listed. I was so elated to be getting a Wii for my niece that I just clicked the check out without even reading the description.

The extras would have been nice, and if you ordered thinking you were going to get them, I can understand the anger. Luckily for me, ignorance is bliss;).

[quote name='slimvinnieb86']
Anyway, just wanted to give a shout-out to CheapyD (if he reads this) and give him a belated congratulations on the birth of his daughter. That's really exciting![/QUOTE]

He had a son.

[quote name='Limpbizkit182521']He had a son.[/quote]

My mistake. Heh. It's been a while since I read that.

[quote name='iNCREDiPiNOY']I got the Wii last Tuesday but no extras and I didn't know about the extras during Black Friday promotion. I do saved the html in pdf. Amazon already removed the description as seen below:

Product Description
Includes one Nintendo Wii System, a total 2 Wii Remote controllers, 2 Wii Nunchuk controller, Wii Sports (5 Games
including boxing, tennis, baseball, golf, and bowling), - Wii Play (9 games including billiards, laser hockey, shooting range, find
mii, table tennis, tanks, fishing, charge, and more.Product Size:17 x 12 x 7inches.\0

I emailed to Amazon's Executive Customer Service today and hopefully I'll get the extras or giftcard for free. If it really a part of Black Friday deal then why Amazon screws up that much? I know its a huge loss due to misprint, typo or any errors. If I get the email from them stating that I have to return for refund then I'll filed the complaint to BBB reguarding to extra stuffings.[/quote]

Can you post the the PDF?

[quote name='madnarg']Yeah, because they would have never sold them without this vile deception.

They are offering one.

And those can be found where?[/quote]

I was aware of that;) Most of my post was tongue and cheek.

[quote name='Reinland']I was aware of that;) Most of my post was tongue and cheek.[/quote]
My apologies...I'm feeling unusally froggy this morning. :lol:

[quote name='b3b0p']Can you post the the PDF?[/quote]
Where can I find PDF uploader on site? You may steal it from SD, just to let you know that I been reading all 3 forums last midnight between AMZN, CAG, & SD.

My problem is the way amazon is handling the situation. Now they are trying to say that people looked at the wrong page which they know isnt true.

[quote name='iNCREDiPiNOY']Where can I find PDF uploader on site? You may steal it from SD, just to let you know that I been reading all 3 forums last midnight between AMZN, CAG, & SD.[/quote]

Your post says you saved the website page in PDF.

bread's done
Back