Amazon starts taking Kinect preorders

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='typical guy']Seriously, think of how many games you can get for the price of just this hardware.[/QUOTE]

Especially at CAG prices. :)

[quote name='ninja dog']I'd rather drink bleach than live in a world with this horrible piece of shit accessory[/QUOTE]

do us a favor and go drink the bleach.

[quote name='typical guy']Seriously, think of how many games you can get for the price of just this hardware.[/QUOTE]

I know, right? I just figured out that I can get 5 brand new games for the price of a 360. Screw getting the console, I'm just going to get the games!

[quote name='SilverBulletKY']I know, right? I just figured out that I can get 5 brand new games for the price of a 360. Screw getting the console, I'm just going to get the games![/QUOTE]

Or better yet, buy cheap games and flip them for credit on Amazon. Then buy a 360 for 1/2 the price.

Kinnect is going to be a massive failure.. maybe if they came in at 50-60$ it would have a chance.. but so far Microsoft Kinnect games look like 1st gen Wii games, and the Wii is releasing Kirby, Zelda, Donkey Kong, Epic Mickey.. Microsoft will not compete with the Wii because it doesnt have any AA titles for the hardware. Microsoft should of stuck with making hardcore games.. this is going to nip them in the butt..

All I have to say is, I highly, highly doubt the Kinect will work even close to what they advertise it as. Do you remember the video from last years E3? What total BS that was. It is Microsoft, you have to remember that.

The camera detecting slight hand movements in a dark room to scroll through a movie list? Yea right. I can see so many bugs happening with this thing, and it will most definitely be picking up ANY movement in the background.

I just don't see it working very well, I would just be ready to cancel those pre-orders when the time comes. I don't see this going anywhere, just like HD DVD.

I am somewhat interested in the Move, but we shall see. It would be worth picking up a controller and trying it I guess, as I already have a Camera. But a camera tracking well lit orbs and detecting button presses on a controller is going to work MUCH better than a camera trying to track body movements (and discerning them from background movements) in variously lit rooms. I only see major problems for the Kinect, IMO.

Looks like Pachter was right- they're going to price it high knowing they can always drop the price later. I would've gotten it at $99 or below but I'd rather put $150 towards a PS3 than get a Kinect.

I'm still raging at MS for having Rare tied up making a dumb sports game instead of Banjo-Threeie or something worthwhile.

[quote name='MastrMeatWad']what a bunch of complainers! sheesh. look, it isn't for everyone, but for those that want it, cool. Also, not a deal thread but my two cents are-

someone mentioned would only pay 150 for all the 16 games shown at E3 and the kinect, wow. really! that is like over 800 dollars of items, your crazy dude.

Also look at it this way too, to buy an extra wii controller, the extra wii nunchuck, the extra wii plus is almost 100 dollars there, the move extra controller and nunchuck type add on is 80+, so 150 is not that bad comparing it. Because when i buy the move i will have to pay 180-200 dollars, because why would i want to play it alone![/QUOTE]

If you think your are going to be playing the same games with the same precision on the Kinect as the Move then you are insane. Harmonixs Dance Central is like the only thing that looks ok on Kinect and that aint worth $210 (150 + 60).

If MS expects people to pay $149 for this thing, it MUST have games packed with it or it wont sell to the mass market.
Ive worked in retail long enough to realize that people are VERY cheap.

For people that aren't going to get the Xbox360 Slim for awhile, how will the Kinect connect to an old console like the arcade? Through USB? If so, I guess I need a ton of wireless controllers.

EDIT: google solved. kinect plugs into outlet for old 360s.

Oh and about the Move, is it just me or does that seem an obvious target for a patent infringement lawsuit? A simple cease and desist order could prevent Sony from selling it. At the very least, they'd have to pay Nintendo for use of their patent.

[quote name='typical guy']Oh and about the Move, is it just me or does that seem an obvious target for a patent infringement lawsuit? A simple cease and desist order could prevent Sony from selling it. At the very least, they'd have to pay Nintendo for use of their patent.[/QUOTE]
Only if they copied the same technology that Nintendo uses, which I doubt. You can't patent using a controller like a wand...

[quote name='limelight022']If MS expects people to pay $149 for this thing, it MUST have games packed with it or it wont sell to the mass market.
Ive worked in retail long enough to realize that people are VERY cheap.[/QUOTE]
The mass market is cheap, but you're not just paying for the hardware... you're also paying for the r&d and a premium for having the latest hardware. If you want the newest, shiniest thing on the market then expect to pay a little extra, or wait it out for a price drop.

I probably won't pick up a Kinect at launch, but I'm definitely in for the PS Move. I just keep imagining an Oblivion style/quality game with wii controls :)

As a person who wrote off the Wii when it was first announced as stupid and destined to fail, I refuse to make such strong statements against the kinect. It seems that when Christmas tine rolls around, everyone wants the newest gizmo, whether it's worth it or not. In fact, I'm hoping it succeeds, so that I can sell them at absurdly high prices to parents trying to get it for their kids.

Preordered both Move and Kinect. Thanks for the links.

Mildly interested in them, but I'll probably cancel one or both before they ship. We'll see. Doesn't hurt to get the preorder in early, just in case something batshit crazy happens and they become difficult to acquire around launch.

Heh, Kinect's lack of a physical controller tells me that a lot of games are gonna be of an 'on-rail' type. At least with Sony's move, I can picture being able to play an RE4 type game in HD. In fact, I would love to play RE4 again without graphics that make my eyes bleed.

Edit: ALSO, can't wait for the youtube videos of people kicking their TVs while playing kinect.

[quote name='Aaron Greenberg']
No Kinect price announced yet, retail price estimates are purely speculative, final price & pack-in details are not yet determined. -Twitter
[/QUOTE]

Like I said elsewhere. This is probably just spin, but it's out there

[quote name='mcdaking84']lol this is going to sell out? i find that hard to believe[/QUOTE]

That's what I said about the Wii and...

To those wondering about using Kinect while sitting on the couch, here is a video showing MS partner using it while sitting (it's the second video from the top):

http://www.engadget.com/2010/03/11/primesense-talks-full-body-motion-control-at-gdc-the-possibilit/

PrimeSense has been confirmed as providing parts of Kinect technology. MS has also re-iterated numerous times that they are calibrating Kinect for sitting so I don't see why it wouldn't work. It just seems the games that have been released almost none seems should be played sitting!

I will be pre-ordering Kinect cause I love the possibility of navigating (parts) of my dash controller less. If the $150 price is correct, it might be a little steep, but I might just do it for the novelty.

PS move, I will wait as it seems for some games it requires two wands. If you are willing to put up with cramped hands using the DS3 then you save $30. So at a minimum I'm looking at $150 to play souped up Wii styles games. I will wait for a sale or for some killer app first although I'm very impressed with them augmenting this into a host of existing games.

[quote name='reddjoey']Like I said elsewhere. This is probably just spin, but it's out there[/QUOTE]

I betcha, MS is just trying to taste the market to see how much they are willing to pay for Kinect. If pre-orders are strong, that is the price. Otherwise they will lower it....

[quote name='help1']In fact, I'm hoping it succeeds, so that I can sell them at absurdly high prices to parents trying to get it for their kids.[/QUOTE]

Scalpers are the scum of the earth.

[quote name='lilman']Only if they copied the same technology that Nintendo uses, which I doubt. You can't patent using a controller like a wand...

The mass market is cheap, but you're not just paying for the hardware... you're also paying for the r&d and a premium for having the latest hardware. If you want the newest, shiniest thing on the market then expect to pay a little extra, or wait it out for a price drop.

I probably won't pick up a Kinect at launch, but I'm definitely in for the PS Move. I just keep imagining an Oblivion style/quality game with wii controls :)[/QUOTE]

You and I understand this yes, however informing the general public (soccer moms etc) will only make them more confused. They'll just look at the Wii and say for $50 more they'll have a system, Wii Sports, Sports Resort all included. Ultimately they'll look at Kinect as just a "camera" and not realize what its capable of, (no controllers to buy, not having to buy extra controllers for each person, attachments etc, etc...). I can already picture the crowds of confused and cheap soccer moms come christmas shopping time...ugh...

[quote name='leesiulung']To those wondering about using Kinect while sitting on the couch, here is a video showing MS partner using it while sitting (it's the second video from the top):

http://www.engadget.com/2010/03/11/primesense-talks-full-body-motion-control-at-gdc-the-possibilit/

PrimeSense has been confirmed as providing parts of Kinect technology. MS has also re-iterated numerous times that they are calibrating Kinect for sitting so I don't see why it wouldn't work. It just seems the games that have been released almost none seems should be played sitting!

I will be pre-ordering Kinect cause I love the possibility of navigating (parts) of my dash controller less. If the $150 price is correct, it might be a little steep, but I might just do it for the novelty.

PS move, I will wait as it seems for some games it requires two wands. If you are willing to put up with cramped hands using the DS3 then you save $30. So at a minimum I'm looking at $150 to play souped up Wii styles games. I will wait for a sale or for some killer app first although I'm very impressed with them augmenting this into a host of existing games.

I betcha, MS is just trying to taste the market to see how much they are willing to pay for Kinect. If pre-orders are strong, that is the price. Otherwise they will lower it....[/QUOTE]

Not to contradict you here, but I spent most of the past several days at E3 and the Move really exceeded my expectations both in game selection and accuracy and the Kinect left me very disappointed. Simple tasks like navigating menus to load a minigame on Game Party for the Kinect took way too long as I had to keep repositioning my hands and body to get the Kinect to recognize my movements. The game selection and massive lack of 3rd party support were similarly disappointing. Even games which should have been interesting like Kinectimals and Kinect Adventures were dull and oriented for a very juvenile audience.

You are correct that at least some games will require two Move controllers and other than FPS games, I'm not sure what the navigation controller really is for. Having said that, it is like having an HD version of the Wii with games designed for older gamers. As such, Move is now a must buy for me while I might wait on Kinect until I see some better games using it.

[quote name='jewsdidwtc']*sniff sniff* Kinect makes me all nostalgic for the Virtual Boy (RIP). *wipes away tear*[/QUOTE]

funny thing i thought about that when nin was doing their press conference and they mentioned how theyd been doing 3d for so long.

What kind of space do you need between you and the Kinect? i only have about 5 feet of standing space between me and the home theatre

This has probably been discussed elsewhere, but let's say you have a Wii, Kinect, and PS Move. Since the sensors for all of these devices aree usually centered in front of you (like on your tv) how will you place all three sensors in the same area? Stack 'em?

[quote name='lilman']This has probably been discussed elsewhere, but let's say you have a Wii, Kinect, and PS Move. Since the sensors for all of these devices aree usually centered in front of you (like on your tv) how will you place all three sensors in the same area? Stack 'em?[/QUOTE]

I'm sure Madcatz is hard at work!

[quote name='oasisboy']That's what I said about the Wii and...[/QUOTE]

Ah, the difference:

1.) That was Nintendo.

2.) That was a full console.

3.) That was when motion control was 'novel.'

4.) That was before the recession really gut-punched the economy.

5.) That was a manufactured shortage.

Okay, okay, so I had a relapse! "Tiger don't change his stripes, Kate."

[quote name='MastrMeatWad']what a bunch of complainers! sheesh. look, it isn't for everyone, but for those that want it, cool. Also, not a deal thread but my two cents are-

someone mentioned would only pay 150 for all the 16 games shown at E3 and the kinect, wow. really! that is like over 800 dollars of items, your crazy dude.

Also look at it this way too, to buy an extra wii controller, the extra wii nunchuck, the extra wii plus is almost 100 dollars there, the move extra controller and nunchuck type add on is 80+, so 150 is not that bad comparing it. Because when i buy the move i will have to pay 180-200 dollars, because why would i want to play it alone![/QUOTE]

I agree. Move is so confusing to me. Some things I've read say you need 2 "light ball" wands. Plus a navigation controller. Then they will get you for the charger dock for it. Then multiply that times 2 or more so everybody can have a set. Kinect is one item and you're done. Plugs into the 360 and maybe a power outlet.

I'm not a fanboy as I have both systems and the Move & Kinect both sound interesting. I do think I'll wait to see how reviews are and see if MS does a bundle with the new console.

I'm gonna pre-order one. I can always cancel.

Never know, these things might be mega rare and I'd like one for Christmas perhaps if I'm not working by then :p

Definitely buying this. All you people complaining about its precision and stuff are missing the point. This thing will get my girlfriend to play video games. And I'd rather play video games with her than watch The Hills or Glee or whatever.

[quote name='mr_bungle']I'm gonna pre-order one. I can always cancel.

Never know, these things might be mega rare and I'd like one for Christmas perhaps if I'm not working by then :p[/QUOTE]

Same with me, I preorder one. It doesn't hurt. Never know if it gets into low production numbers and Xbox knows how to market their new products.

[quote name='lilman']This has probably been discussed elsewhere, but let's say you have a Wii, Kinect, and PS Move. Since the sensors for all of these devices aree usually centered in front of you (like on your tv) how will you place all three sensors in the same area? Stack 'em?[/QUOTE]
What kind of silly question is that? 3 seperate HDTVs, duh. A person who bought all 3 systems as well as Kinect & Move is a loaded bastard who spends it recklessly.

[quote name='sdcranford']Then they will get you for the charger dock for it. [/QUOTE]
You can still charge it via mini-USB, the charge dock is only for flashy idiots. I'm not saying you are but when a person has a charging dock for anything that already comes with a plug, they come off as some type of attention whore to me.

I have a charge dock for my PS3, 360, and Wii
controllers but they are all in the basement. I don't care who looks at them. It's just nice to avoid all of those cords hanging out of the console and it's nice and organized.

I was just pointing out the extras with the Move. I like the idea of it but like how simple Kinect will be. I'm just not sure I want more games to play while standing up. I work hard all day, mostly on my feet. When I get time to play games I'm trying to relax. However, if one of these will get my wife interested in playing games with my 11 yr old and I then I will be buying it.

Do not preorder people! If enough people preorder when the price is $150, microsoft will announce that it is (they still say no official price has been announce).

There are going to be so many of these things it's ridiculous. You aren't going to "miss out" if you don't preorder right now...

[quote name='playing mantis']Do not preorder people! If enough people preorder when the price is $150, microsoft will announce that it is (they still say no official price has been announce).

There are going to be so many of these things it's ridiculous. You aren't going to "miss out" if you don't preorder right now...[/QUOTE]

Well since you put it that way...I'm keeping my preorder. I don't want to cancel just to have you convince us you're right then you buy them all up and we can't have them:lol::booty:

i want it, but not for $150....anything more than the price for a regular xbox 360 game and I'm not buying. Ill wait for a huge price drop, which will come quite quickly actually, but hey, I could be wrong....i still wont buy it for that price tho.

[quote name='typical guy']So far there's been no word of pack in's with games on Sony. There is ZERO chance that anyone who already owns a Wii but does not own an Xbox or PS3 will buy a new console + motion controls. This means that the only people buying these motion controls will be folks that already own the consoles.[/QUOTE]

Not that I don't agree with your post as a whole, but how can you produce such assurance as "ZERO chance" with something that is nothing more than speculation. It appears to me that you see no reason to get a Move or Kinect after having a Wii, therefore everyone thinks like you (or I)...You'd be surprised, actually, how many people will just throw money at a second or third console "just to have it", along with any and all motion control apparatus'. You also forget this is the first time motion control and HD have married to this level.

Look at it this way, a lot of people think like this: "Why would you get a PS3/360 when you have a PS3/360" and "Why would you get a Nintendo DS/PSP when you already have a "Nintendo DS/PSP"....Society has different levels of interpretation for "proprietary", for "need met"...where you see a redundancy they still see a void to be filled. Not all see an overlap where some of us might see it.

I also thought we were told the Move would come with a pack in game, I have read so much after E3 lately though I can't recall where I saw that bit.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Aleman']Definitely buying this. All you people complaining about its precision and stuff are missing the point. This thing will get my girlfriend to play video games. And I'd rather play video games with her than watch The Hills or Glee or whatever.[/QUOTE]

Ha, if a Wii won't do it, Kinetic won't do it.

Aren't hobbies for relaxing? Aren't video games for relaxing? WTF is with Kinetic? Did they totally miss the point? With Move and Wii you can still sit down and relax while playing, Kinetic doesn't seem like it unless you're browsing the main menu.

[quote name='BWS1982']
I also thought we were told the Move would come with a pack in game, I have read so much after E3 lately though I can't recall where I saw that bit.[/QUOTE]

It does and it doesnt. Just buying the $49.99 Move controller does not come with a pack-in. The two higher price points come with Sports Champions.

Personally, I am a bit disappointed by this, since I have had a PSEye for awhile and I dont think I am going to spend an extra $50, just to get the pack-in game.

[quote name='BWS1982']Not that I don't agree with your post as a whole, but how can you produce such assurance as "ZERO chance" with something that is nothing more than speculation. It appears to me that you see no reason to get a Move or Kinect after having a Wii, therefore everyone thinks like you (or I)...You'd be surprised, actually, how many people will just throw money at a second or third console "just to have it", along with any and all motion control apparatus'. You also forget this is the first time motion control and HD have married to this level.

Look at it this way, a lot of people think like this: "Why would you get a PS3/360 when you have a PS3/360" and "Why would you get a Nintendo DS/PSP when you already have a "Nintendo DS/PSP"....Society has different levels of interpretation for "proprietary", for "need met"...where you see a redundancy they still see a void to be filled. Not all see an overlap where some of us might see it.

I also thought we were told the Move would come with a pack in game, I have read so much after E3 lately though I can't recall where I saw that bit.[/QUOTE]

Okay you're right, I can't say "Zero" chance but lets face it, this is just more motion control. Did you actually look at the games they're showing? They're the same fucking games as on the Wii.
Wii Sports, Kinect Sports, Sports Champions

Kinectimals? Hello? Can you say Petz games?

This is the same shit on the DS and Wii. I highly doubt many people are going to buy a new console just for this stuff. Even a lot of people with the consoles like me (and others in this forum) aren't going to spend that kind of money to play a fucking petz game in HD. If these becomes a proven successes (Kinect and Move) then I'll think about picking them up and they'll likely come packed in with some of the best games. Meanwhile you are going to take a huge risk that it will be a failure and the only games for it are super casual cutsie kids games that you can play for 5 bucks on the fucking DS.

I really have to wonder if you guys are thinking this through or if you're letting hype from E3 excite you for this product(s). As Alan Greenspan once said about another subject, it seems like irrational exuberance to me...

[quote name='typical guy']Oh and about the Move, is it just me or does that seem an obvious target for a patent infringement lawsuit? A simple cease and desist order could prevent Sony from selling it. At the very least, they'd have to pay Nintendo for use of their patent.[/QUOTE]

You're an absolute idiot. Congrats.

Kinect being priced at 150 isnt a shock. They now have plenty of wiggle room price wise, and early adopters like myself will buy it day 1 anyway.

People saying you need 4 controllers to replicate the experience on any other system, show me a Kinect game that supports 4 players. Thats right, there aren't any. In fact, the #1 game for kintect, Dance Station or whatever, is a single player game.

No game for Kinect has been shown for more then 2 people, and i doubt ever will be shown. The technology looks like it caps at 2 people. So please keep that in mind with your stupid math everyone likes to do.

p.s. - buying move + kinect day 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back