Amazon starts taking Kinect preorders

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like Sony has the upper hand for once. Kinect at $150 is too much for my taste considering the limited tech and the games also seem overpriced (even if they charged 39.99 like Sony).

Imagine if the kind of effort on display in this thread were applied to oil spills or counterterrorism intelligence gathering. Or even good ol' volunteer work.

This thread is an embarrassment. But the saddest part? I knew exactly what would happen the first time I saw its title. You guys never fail to disappoint!

[quote name='jollydwarf']Imagine if the kind of effort on display in this thread were applied to oil spills or counterterrorism intelligence gathering. Or even good ol' volunteer work.

This thread is an embarrassment. But the saddest part? I knew exactly what would happen the first time I saw its title. You guys never fail to disappoint![/QUOTE]

Yeah, because typing a few words on a keyboard takes a lot of effort, what a dumbass argument.

I thought this was overpriced too, and it is, but as someone pointed out elsewhere, if it is the "IT" item this christmas, which it has every potential to be, price won't matter. PS3s were selling for THOUSANDS on ebay when they came out. Wii's were selling for multiples of retail the SECOND Christmas it was on the market, not to mention how completely absurd the first year was. Wii Fit was going for hundreds of dollars 8 months after release. Microsoft is basically just banking on having that role this year, and taking a slice of that reseller pie for themselves. They have stated price and contents have not been decided yet. If the preorders suck (which, sadly, they won't) at $150, the "official" price will be lower. In all likelyhood they will included a game as well. Probably one of the stupid sports ones, but Adventures would be their best call in my book. The point is: yeah, it's overpriced, but consumers have shown over and over again that they will pay whatever, and in large numbers, for the "gotta have" item. Consumers have NO ONE to blame but themselves. Within a year, hell, probably within six months, it will be $75-100, but they're taking a page out of apples playbook on this one (if anyone rememebers the EXTREMELY fast drop on the iphone from $400 to $300. It was basically at $400 just long enough to screw early adopters.) But yeah, it will sell out, if not from actual demand, from specutalive purchases for resale purchases. Sure there could be a boatload of returns on Dec 26th (as there was for the PS3), but that won't matter at all if you want one before then.

[quote name='hyunkim']as of now, kinect is a sack of shit, and i expect it will be for years to come.

i already own a 360, and i'd rather pay $50 more for a wii. the wii comes with wii sports & wii sports resort, which are probably better party games than any other kinect game that will release this year. Give me a break, do i want to play zomba party, Adrenalin Misfits, Deca Sports Collection, Dance Central, Sonic Free Riders or do i want to play new super mario bros wii, mario galaxy, mario galaxy 2, zelda skyward sword, metroid prime, donkey kong, etc.

the only demographic that kinect has a chance of profiting from is the people who already own a 360 AND a wii, and just have a lot of money they want to blow off. because no one's going to buy a 360 just to buy kinect, and no one's gonna buy a kinect over a wii.[/QUOTE]

Sorry bud, but you're just simply wrong. For starters, Dance Central will kick the crap out of anything you mentioned, but secondly, you're just not getting it. Gamers are NOT the target audience. AT ALL. PERIOD. They want the expanded Wii crowd, and they are going to get it. Would you rather do your workout (remember EA active sold like 2 million units) with a stupid board and a stupid controller in your hand with piss-poor graphics on your 62 inch plasma, or have a camera with full motion body trackering, the app in 1080p, the ability to gab with other people while doing it, and to have to hold, learn how to use, learn how to hook up, or find somewhere to store abolutely nothing? Guess which choice EVERY soccer mom is going to make. It is a brilliant strategy, and most likely will pay off. For now, at least, they couldn't give a shit less about gamers for it, and that's because the Wii proved that that isn't where the real money is anyway. It really amazes me how few people here seem to grasp that. Look at the launch line-up, the ad videos, etc. Who did you THINK they were going after? Us? Not a chance.

[quote name='lowgear26']I'm glad so many people know how things will sell a few months in advance. Kinect may not do well to the hardcore gaming audience, but look at all the Wii's and all the shitty games they sold. The major demographic is in family fun and they may just hit that if they market it correctly.

It feels like to me that both will do ok but the Kinect is different enough to give it an edge at this point. The move just looks like a Wii-mote and people won't be out in droves for another Wii-mote type device when they may already own one.

If the Kinect is as great as M$ says it will be, I see it doing very well.[/QUOTE]

hypocrisy fail.

"A FEW words"! Well, it's all relative, I suppose.

P.S. It wasn't an argument, it was a comment--albeit an incendiary and opinionated one. So who's the du--hey, Happy Father's Day, folks!

This is what happens when the fan-boys are allowed to post. It will be the Race Riots all over again at this rate.....

I'd like to try Kinect before forming an opinion over it but the fact that you cannot use it while sitting down is troubling.

[quote name='sbains']

Kinect is nothing more than a SONY PS2 Eyetoy clone with a microphone.

SOCOM 4 3rd person shooter works spectacularly with the Move controller (duck, shoot, grenade, move) along with a new Resident Evil game, a new Time Crisis game.

[/QUOTE]

Fanboy. Just look at the difference between the statements of different colors.

[quote name='mietha']I thought this was overpriced too, and it is, but as someone pointed out elsewhere, if it is the "IT" item this christmas, which it has every potential to be, price won't matter. PS3s were selling for THOUSANDS on ebay when they came out. Wii's were selling for multiples of retail the SECOND Christmas it was on the market, not to mention how completely absurd the first year was. Wii Fit was going for hundreds of dollars 8 months after release. Microsoft is basically just banking on having that role this year, and taking a slice of that reseller pie for themselves. They have stated price and contents have not been decided yet. If the preorders suck (which, sadly, they won't) at $150, the "official" price will be lower. In all likelyhood they will included a game as well. Probably one of the stupid sports ones, but Adventures would be their best call in my book. The point is: yeah, it's overpriced, but consumers have shown over and over again that they will pay whatever, and in large numbers, for the "gotta have" item. Consumers have NO ONE to blame but themselves. Within a year, hell, probably within six months, it will be $75-100, but they're taking a page out of apples playbook on this one (if anyone rememebers the EXTREMELY fast drop on the iphone from $400 to $300. It was basically at $400 just long enough to screw early adopters.) But yeah, it will sell out, if not from actual demand, from specutalive purchases for resale purchases. Sure there could be a boatload of returns on Dec 26th (as there was for the PS3), but that won't matter at all if you want one before then.[/QUOTE]
I agreed with you until your post after this one. Kinect is too limited to be worth $150. It won't even be able to do what the Wii motion controllers do, unless you were to use it with a controller, which completely its purpose

I'm a little concerned about the 'no sit' aspect, but if the games are well made and fun I think that can be overcome. Of course this isn't a primary controller, it's something you'd use maybe 10-30 percent of the time for a change of pace, or to play a game that's perfectly suited for this type of control. $149 is ridiculous in any case, and I suspect it will launch at $99, or maybe as much as $129. Being a cheap ass, I would pay no more than $69 even assuming it's all it's cracked up to be.

[quote name='oasisboy']Fanboy. Just look at the difference between the statements of different colors.[/QUOTE]
Well, besides him being a fanboy, he's mostly right. Kinect really just took the Eyetoy and made it detect depth and added a microphone. I think the Playstation Eye has a microphone, though. I'm sure it has a lot of other smaller features over the Eyetoy, but probably not enough that would really matter. Some games that were shown at E3 didn't even need more than 2D, so I think the Eyetoy could have even pulled it off.

[quote name='Skoad']I was there and asked the reps. Kinect Sports Volleyball has two versus two, Kinect Adventures River Rafting has four player co-op, Sonic Free Riders is four player versus and co-op.[/QUOTE]

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/06/19/kinect-how-it-works-from-the-company-behind-the-tech/

In particular..

But it can only run calculations on two people at a time, just because the processing power required to track all of the body's locations and movements is so great. During our testing with the device, a person moving in front of the camera was able to "steal focus," but the computer can also be told through gestures to keep focus on a certain person.

4 Player can mean anything. Can be one after another like taking turns, can be online 4 player. There are no true 4 player Kinect games. Stop deluding yourself into believing lies.

Why do I get the sense that you guys want this thing to fail? Why so much pessimism? As a gamer, I want to play all sorts of different games, and I want to play games with family and friends who would never pick up a regular 360 controller. And as an engineer who has written some computer vision software, I'm in awe of the technology--keeping in mind that the software can be improved over time. Not being able to work while sitting is surely an algorithm issue, and only supporting 2 players (if true) is not a big deal since I don't see 4 players working well (physically and technically) with full body motion games anyway.

Kinect is a cool new toy, and its not like MS is going to take your Halo and CoD away, so chill out with the fanboyish pessimism and appreciate new ways of experiencing games just for the sake of it, even if you're not in the target market. If I had the cash and unlimited free time I would buy and play Wii, Move, and Kinect and not sit around complaining about their limitations.

Last edited by a moderator:
Im pre ordering one, it will either be a smash hit in the casual gaming community, or a fail and a quirky piece of nastalga that collecters will want to buy off ebay same price in 20 years. Either way unless gamers are buying into these directions the big 3 wants to take our console gaming, it won't evolve and people will still be comparing games as an improved verson of ( insert old game name here). Kinect might in fact be limited, but its a step forward, so like the wii its got my approval.

May have already been mentioned but in the event it was not: if you still have an old ECA pre-order open, this item qualifies for the discount(s). Just tested to verify.

[quote name='Linwood']I'd like to try Kinect before forming an opinion over it but the fact that you cannot use it while sitting down is troubling.[/QUOTE]

Is that truly a fact?

It's not a fact, it's dependent on the game if you can sit down. To anyone who thinks this is an eyetoy, "Your mom's an eyetoy!" Seriously, saying it's basically an eyetoy with a depth camera is calling a ps3 basically a ps1 with some shaders and neato special effects. I don't care if you like to live in ignorance but try not to spread it around.

I'd be ok with the price if the games weren't on amazon for 60. I was looking forward to "natal" since last e3 immensely and while most of the previews I've seen and read are positive about the device, they all say the same thing, "what's with the game lineup?". I've been expecting these games all along but I also expected...more, and so far Children of Eden is the only thing off the top of my head that is something I'd seriously want. Some of them look ok to good, but at 60 dollars a pop I expect a lot more than river rafting and grabbing orbs.

I want to be an early adopter of kinect, but I need more of a reason than the dashboard interface to do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back